Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Found 139 Games with a value of
$2070.62 USD

So it has occurred to me that I may have a problem here. It's kind of strange since I am not the collector type and I don't hoard objects. In fact I own so very little and prefer it that way that I find it quite puzzling I am the complete opposite with my electronic library.

Anyway, this thread convinced me to go through and organize my Steam library and commit myself to actually playing the games I own/borrow on Steam. This is the system I settled on, I'm sharing in the hopes it will help someone else get organized.

!PLAYING
I'm hoping to keep to this a single game and not move on until I complete it or end up trashing it because it's a terrible game (I know, then why did I buy it).

!PLAYLIST
List of games I wish to start or continue from where I last played them and complete them. I'm trying to keep this smaller then the general list of games I haven't played for fear of looking at them and going "screw this".

Currently has 16 Games.

!PLAYLIST +
List of games which I haven't completed and a pool for picking games to move to the playlist as I get through them. Also used for sequels to games in the playlist. For example, I have completed 4 Sam and Max episodes, I have the 5th episode in my playlist and the rest of the series in playlist+.

Contains 40 Games.

CONTINUAL
Contains games that aren't really completable. Multiplayer/Sandbox etc. Examples include BC2, Killing Floor, Civ V. I imagine this will grow as I get through my playlist.

Contains 12 Games.

FINISHED
Pretty self explanatory, Single player/story line games that I have completed.

Contains 20 Games.

TRASH
Includes games which I gave an honest effort at playing and thought they were terrible, games that I got the majority of the way through and will not pick up again or prequels that would normally fit into the "Continual" bracket but have been replaced by a similar game or sequel. An example would be Civ 4, which I loved to death and sunk many hours into but has been replaced by Civ 5 in the continual bracket. The X Collection of games is another example where there isn't much point of playing the prequels when I have X3: Terran Conflict in my playlist.

Contains 62 Games. (ugh, wow....)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, so the Steam categories I setup as playlists weren't working out for me. Hopefully backloggery is a gimmick that will prove to be a better solution.

I'm pretty attached to World of Tanks right now, so I'm playing that and going to go back to my mid-game save file on Fallout New Vegas. If I remember correctly I am about to go to all the different factions and talk to the leaders as part of the quest I got from that Yes Man robot.

I think I'm just going to just go ahead and finish the "main story" for it and not bother with too much else. Last I played it was frustratingly buggy, to the point where I would open up the wiki page for the quest, then try and skip to the bottom to check for known bugs without actually spoiling it.

Here is my backloggery sig:

Ugh, so many unfinished games.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just completed "Puzzle Agent". It was a fun little distraction. After the first 10 minutes all I really wanted to do was sit back and watch it like a cartoon, gently caress the puzzles. In saying that, I'm neither a point and click adventure or puzzle game fan, so my opinion is not really worth much.

On to Eufloria next, which I did complete, but before it had achievements and a bunch of new content so I'm just going to play through the whole thing again. Also Flotilla, which I can't really remember much about apart from it being super short.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Chief Savage Man posted:

Progress on my backlog has grinded to a halt. Just put LIMBO and Isaac on the pile

Ugh, I am really keen to get Isaac, but I know that as soon as I buy a single new game it will disrupt my commitment to the backlog, just like it has for you.

No, the line must be drawn here. This far, no further.

On another note, I think I am seriously getting too old for "hard" games. I used to enjoy a challenge, spend countless hours replaying a level to get that sense of accomplishment. Not now though, I seem to hate it. I would prefer to have some sort of "progress".

My attitude has gone from "I will beat this game if it's the last thing I do" to "Hurry up and entertain me, I'm bored".

I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to complete or even beat some of the harder games in my collection.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

JumpyMonky posted:

Used the random generator and came up with Osmos.

gently caress Osmos, seriously. The fortune cookie gave me it and it frustrates the poo poo out of me. Every session with it is furious spamming of the space bar due to constantly being consumed followed by me rage quitting.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Eh! Frank posted:

That sounds like a good idea. I slipped and bought it when it was on sale a couple of days ago, but if I knock it out real quick real soon, I won't feel as bad.

Yeah, it's a short game. Each of the Fallout New Vegas DLC that I have been playing now is longer then Portal 2, but still a very enjoyable game. A good one to get off your list.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Hemish posted:

Any suggestions? http://www.backloggery.com/hemish

You should feel bad for not having Half Life 2 completed.

That and the STALKER series are both great FPS. My personal favorite in the series is Call of Pripyat but if you play that first you'll quickly grow tired of the other sub-par titles in the series. Clear Sky is almost not worth playing, and the original (Shadow of Chernobyl) probably still is if you get Stalker Complete.

As far as shorter games go, Puzzle Agent is a very shot little adventure game with a neat story. Some of the Puzzles are crap though, which is kind of the whole point of the game I guess.

I finished Shadowgrounds not long ago and it is definitely worth playing. The ENTER key brings up the weapon upgrade screen FYI, I got to like the second or third level before I knew what those upgrade pieces were for that I was picking up. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Torchlight is fun if you just want to play something which requires minimal thinking, but isn't really that short.

How long did Racettear take you to finish? I've been meaning to play that but World of Tanks has sort of consumed me and left my backlog frozen.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've managed to go throught the sale so far with no purchases and the last sale (haloween?) was purchase free also.

Over the last two months the only additions to my backlog are:

Skyrim: (Purchased) 204 hours of playtime, all achievements, every quest line etc, I think I can mark it as "Complete". There was no way I wasn't going to buy this.

Dungeon Defenders: (Gifted to me) 60 hours of playtime so far, but I did purchase DLC for it (I feel dirty about that).

X3: Albion Prelude (Free) This was added to my account because I purchased the X pack in a sale quite a while ago. I doubt I'll ever play it, I don't think I'm willing to put in the time to get over a huge learning curve for a single player game.

The most time I've spent in the store over this time is adding poo poo to my wishlist for those promotions. I think I'm just going to ignore them from now on because I end up putting games on I don't really want. It's not like I would even be happy about "winning" either, it just means 10 more games would be added to the backlog. I went back to it just now and removed all but 4 games which I actually want.

Here are some tips I've found useful for preventing temptation:
  • Steam Settings, Interface Tab: Change "Favourite Window" to Library instead of store, so the library is what you see when it starts.
  • Steam Settings, Interface Tab: Untick "Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases".
  • Remove your credit card details from the Steam store and don't let it save them. The "effort" it takes to get your card out and put in the details can sometimes be enough to prevent an impulse buy.
  • I wouldn't suggest adding funds to your Steam wallet. I did this last year to try and "limit spending". In reality it proved to be more of a "goal to spend" then a limit. In the last few days of the sale I was buying cheap rubbish games just because I had some money in the Steam wallet which I hadn't used.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

nickhimself posted:

On your post: I'd honestly count any sandbox game as complete when you finish the main quest line. In linear games that have sidequests you don't have to complete them in order to finish the game, so there's no reason you should have to use that as a marker of completion in sandbox games.

Just my thoughts on that

I marked it as "Beaten" after doing the main quest, but waited until I had done all quest lines and achievements before marking it "Complete".

At the end of the day it's subjective though, there aren't any "backloggery police". As long as it motivates you to play through your backlog then does it really matter?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

:stare: Why did you buy the X pack at all, then?

Because I play EVE and when it went on sale everyone I talked to said it was "basically a single player version of EVE" and sung it's praises. Turns out I don't play EVE because I "like it" as a game, but due to the social side of it. So naturally I didn't get along with the X series.

Live and learn. I'm sure this thread is full of people who have purchased a game thinking they would get into it, only to find out it isn't their thing.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Since I "finished" Skyrim I've been brutally attacking my backlog and haven't purchased a single game in the sales.

Here is what I've done in the last 3 days:

Beat: Trine: Beautiful game. I enjoyed every moment I was playing it.
Beat: And Yet It Moves: Meh, the core mechanics seem like they should be fun, but I spent the entire game cursing the controls. So many times I had already figured out the puzzle element and spent a frustrating amount of time battling with which arrow key I should press to shift the world the way I wanted.
Completed: Blueberry Garden: Interesting. Overall I enjoyed it, the art style and music was pleasant, but am glad it wasn't any longer.
Beat: Jolly Rover: Fun and light-hearted adventure game. Again, glad it wasn't any longer.
Beat: Dwarfs!?: Had already played this for a while when I bought it, just went back and did the small challenge mode which is like the "campaign" so I could mark it as beaten. I'll probably keep going back to play more arcade mode, it's pretty good.
Beat: The Path: Absolute trash.
Beat: Breath of Death VII: Heh, I liked this way more then I think I should have. Nostalgia maybe? I'm not sure what it was but I throughly enjoyed my time with this little RPG and am looking forward to playing "Cthulhu Saves the World". It was just nice to see them make fun of the numerous tropes which come with the genre.
Completed: Sam & Max 105: Reality 2.0: It's Sam & Max, I just felt like playing though another episode.
Completed: Sam & Max 106: Bright Side of the Moon: Felt like playing more so I did. After playing more adventure games lately I've come to the conclusion that I'm loving awful at them and extremely impatient with the genre. If I can't figure something out within a few minutes I'll run to a walkthrough (don't judge me). Any other type of game I wouldn't even think about it and would happily spend hours wrestling with puzzles and problems.

e: Oh, next up in the backlog is Half-life, Half-life: Blue Shift and Half-life: Opposing Force. It's become a bit embarrassing that I still haven't played the originals after enjoying HL2 and the episodes so much.

Xik fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 27, 2011

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You guys are terrible at this. I'll keep posting because I think I'm the only one that isn't buying more games then finishing.

In the ~4 days since my last post:

Completed: Half-Life: Great shooter, I really enjoyed playing it but it seemed to just keep on going.
Completed: Half-Life: Opposing Force: It was good, didn't enjoy it as much as Half Life but better then many modern shooters I've played.
Completed: Half-Life: Blue Shift: Nailed it, I loved blue shift. I liked it more then both Opposing Force and the original Half-Life.
Completed: Samorost 2: The only thing good about it was the art style and how short it was.
Completed: Sam & Max 201: Ice Station Santa Another Sam & Max episode
Beat: The Ultimate DOOM: Nostalgia with the first episode, but had never played the rest. I used zdoom to play rather then through Steam, which uses dosbox I think. There are some pretty difficult maps in the final two episodes.
Completed: Machinarium: From the same guys that made Samorost. I don't know why I have so many adventure games in my backlog considering I don't even particularly enjoy them.
Completed: Sam & Max 202: Moai Better Blues: Sam & Max is the exception though, another episode down.
Beat: Section 8: Prejudice: Enjoyable enough. See my rant below.

I only purchased one game in the Steam sales and that was Bastion for $5, I figure I had done so well with my backlog over the last month that I think I deserved it.

Warning, rant ahead.

It was quite interesting to play ~17 years of FPS in a couple of days. Doom released in 1993, Half Life in 1998 and then Section 8 in 2011. In almost 20 years the only noticeable "improvement" was the visuals, which, once you get immersed into the game isn't even really a big deal.

The major difference was that the difficulty has just hit rock bottom. In Doom I died many times and there is always decision making whether you should rush through and hopefully conserve some ammo and get through quicker or kill everyone and perhaps find secret stashes to offset the ammo used. This is especially true of the later episodes which I was playing for the first time and didn't know the maps. I also got stuck multiple times trying to find the right key.

In Half-Life I had to quick save constantly because again, I didn't know the maps and behind every corner could be my death (in most cases it was). I died constantly. Some parts would take 3 or 4 tries to get to learn the locations of enemies and making sure I didn't use too much ammo or suffer too much damage. I never knew when the next health pack or ammo stash would be.

Then we have Section 8: Prejudice. There was never any sense of fear, no need to conserve health or ammo. Shields regenerate and armor can be repaired with a tool which has infinite charge. I also knew every couple of minutes one of those supply machines would fall from the sky to offer me my choice of load-out. Any gun I had unlocked with full ammo. The only times I died was when I had obviously picked the wrong load-out for the job and would just suicide for fun instead of just hitting "revert to last checkpoint". Then I would refit for the situation and fly on through it. Maps were just corridors with nothing to do but go forward, no puzzles, no key collecting, nothing. Why bother even putting walls in the way or get creative with obstacles when you can just paint the minimap red where you can't go and flash the screen red. "You have [5] seconds to return" before you are killed.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm noticing you beat nine games in four days. That's drat impressive. Do you have a by-hours breakdown for that? Or had you been playing a ton of them in parallel?

Impressive or sad? :ohdear:

I almost always play one game at a time, from start to finish. I'm on holiday at the moment so I can get away with basically just playing video games all day, normally I wouldn't have a chance of finishing that much.

I can give you the hours Steam says I played each game for, although I question the accuracy of some of them, it feels like I played a couple of them for longer:

Half-Life: 14 Hours
Half-Life: Opposing Force: 6 Hours
Half-Life: Blue Shift: 3 Hours
Samorost 2: 1 Hour
Sam & Max 201: Ice Station Santa 90 minutes
The Ultimate DOOM: Unknown, played via zdoom and not Steam. Probably a few hours max.
Machinarium: 3 Hours
Sam & Max 202: Moai Better Blues: 70 minutes
Section 8: Prejudice: 4 Hours

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Colon V and Mortor:

Yeah I know I was comparing them to one game in particular when I really shouldn't be, but I was just using it as an example. Most modern shooters have the same characteristics of Section 8. Linear maps, regenerating health etc. Just look at the most popular franchises of today and you can see that.

You are correct about the single-player in modern game just basically being a introduction to the mulitplayer, but I wouldn't consider that a redeeming factor. Player expectations have changed though and perhaps if I was going to make a "proper" comparison I should be comparing "old single-player" to "new mulitplayer". It wasn't suppose to be "fair" or "proper" though, it was just a rant from some nobody on the Internet after playing games for a couple of days.

Despite me coming across as overly negative towards Section 8, I wasn't really trying to bash it, I actually did enjoy playing it. It was still fun and I was just having a rant about how I could notice the huge difference in gameplay after playing Doom and Half-Life.

You are also correct in that there are probably some games that try to mimic that early type of FPS, but they are few and far between. I am a massive fan of STALKER, so there is that and I haven't played the new Serious Sam (3 BFE) which I imagine stays true to the "classic FPS" gameplay. I wouldn't really count the remakes ("HD") as they are just visual updates to the originals.

Anyway, I derailed the thread a bit with that rant. Sorry for that.

Back on-topic:

I was in the mood for something sci-fi so I'm currently playing both Gratuitous Space Battles and Star Ruler. I shouldn't have started either of them as I feel I am going to sink a whole lot of time on them. Star Ruler should be "null" I think, but GSB has a sort-of-campaign series of challenges which I think would count as a "Story Mode" to be beaten.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Alucard posted:

Any chance someone could direct me to an easy-to-complete game

And Yet It Moves: ~3 hours
Breath of Death VII: ~5 hours
Machinarium: ~4 hours
Samorost 2: 1-2 hours
Half-Life 2: Episode One: ~5 hours (This is a guess, I did it before Steam tracked time)
Half-Life 2: Episode Two: ~5 hours
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast: < 1 hour
Gratuitous Space Battles: Doing it at the moment, I imagine if you don't fluff around playing with lots of different ship types it could be done in a few hours, but messing around is half the fun.

e:Those are the ones from your unfinished queue which I have done. I've found that howlongtobeat generally has pretty legit times for their entries, so you could also try looking up a game to see roughly how long it will take.

Xik fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 5, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Glare Seethe posted:

I also gotta give Eidos Montreal credit for putting in the options to disable the objective marker and object highlighting - they get a lot of goodwill from me for that alone.

That actually wasn't initially going to be shipped with the game. After the first game-play videos hit news sites there was a rather large fan outcry about it and the option was added. But yes, Dues Ex:HR is a great game and the only serious complaint I have about it was the boss fights, they really shouldn't be in the game. You can just spam typhoon though to make them trivial if you just want to "ignore" them.

I've hit a major milestone in my backlog, less then 50% unfinished games! (Feel free to recommend me something from my unfinished list.)

Since my last post:

Beat: Gratuitous Space Battles: It's alright. The challenges are broken now that the DLC races have completely broken the balance in the game. I didn't own them so just did the "campaign" mode and was done with it.
Beat: Sanctum: I had already played this before and almost finished it, but went back to find new maps had been added so beat them.
Beat: Supreme Commander 2: I initially was frustrated and annoyed because it was extremely difficult to play aggressively, the AI would just destroy be. I had to switch to playing completely defensive and "turtle" in order to beat the campaign. I had much more fun once I had done that.
Beat: Dead Rising 2: I'm so tired of killing zombies. I'm glad this is over and I managed to get the best ending. (Major end game spoilers)Ending "S", Save your lady friend and daughter, give TK Zombrex so you get into "overtime". This was a fluke by my part, I didn't actually know my actions were going to lead to the best ending until I was finished and went to look up the other possible endings.

And finished the Sam and Max series:
Completed: Sam & Max 305: The City that Dares not Sleep
Completed: Sam & Max 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls
Completed: Sam & Max 303: They Stole Max's Brain!
Completed: Sam & Max 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak
Completed: Sam & Max 301: The Penal Zone
Completed: Sam & Max 205: What's New Beelzebub?
Completed: Sam & Max 204: Chariots of the Dogs
Completed: Sam & Max 203: Night of the Raving Dead

The third season is better then the rest, but seriously suffers from "adventure game logic". It got to the point where I was just leaving the walk-through open in the steam overlay browser for when I got stuck.

I also embarrassing nulled both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra: Overture. I gave Amnesia my best shot, clocking in 5 hours of game play but it was a slow, terrifying 5 hours. I got to the second part of the prison and just couldn't take it any more. I admire Frictional Games for getting me to legitimately feel fear via a video game, but it has also shown me that fear is something I really don't want to feel when I sit down in front of one. In case you are going to ask why I purchased it if I didn't want to be scared, my answer is that I just didn't know it would provoke this kind of reaction from me. This is the first piece of media I have ever seen/played/experienced in my entire life that has managed to extract this amount of emotion.

e:

ManxomeBromide posted:

If you were to pick it up again, the next time you picked it up would likely be your last.

:stare: That's what I'm afraid of......

VVVVVVVVVV

Xik fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 15, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I finished Bastion. What a loving incredible game. It's so very rare I have so little to complain about, the only criticism I could come up with is the way blocking works with the mouse. I think that was a huge oversight.

If you have this game in your backlog, definitely consider doing it next.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

I love that game so much.

Should I bother working on the story missions of Just Cause 2? Or should I just null it out and dick around in the sandbox? Also, suggestions for what else to play?

Just Cause 2 is worth doing all the story missions for. You can always mess about in the sandbox after, which is what I did and I think most people do.

I have never understood all the fuss about Alpha Protocol. Maybe I didn't give it a big enough chance (6 hours according to Steam), it's still on my backlog so I'm going to have to finish it eventually but the keyboard/mouse controls were loving rubbish. I do have a 360 controller which I switched to because that was what was suggested to me, but it really is a game where I want a mouse to aim....

I'm currently playing The Ball and Gyromancer. The Ball is great, I pre-ordered it and alomst finished it when it was released but forgot to backup the save when doing a reformat shortly after. It's a puzzle FPS and the environment and atmosphere is stunning. Gyromancer is going to take me freaking ages to finish. It's exactly the type of game you would expect from a partnership between Popcap and Square, basically bejeweled with "RPG"[1] elements thrown on top. It's fun, but fun in the "I'll have a quick 30min game of it" kind of way, not one in which you can really sit down for hours in front of.

Colon V, I'll edit in some recommendations if you want if you supply a link to your owned games, Backloggery or Steam or something?

[1] When I say "RPG" I really mean the modern interpretation, which is just "add an experience bar and a bit of grind to unlock poo poo".

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

:doh: Knew I was forgetting something.

Breath of Death VII: I blabbered on about this when I finished it. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much, but I couldn't put it down and had heaps of fun with it. It's basically a carbon copy of the old JRPG's, so if they aren't your thing, this probably won't be.
Dungeons of Dredmor: I also haven't beaten this, but look forward to going back to playing it. It's a fun little roguelike, but if you are playing nethack like it says then I imagine it would seem pretty simple in comparison.
Gratuitous Space Battles: This is pretty fun and if you don't want to fluff about playing with load-outs too much then you can get through the campaign maps pretty quickly. As far as challenges go, having a look at the community for the game it's clear that there are a couple of DLC races which are just vastly superior to the rest and so kind of defeats the purpose of trying different things with the challenges.
Half-Life 2: You should feel pretty bad about not having completed this. Definitely do it soon.
Just Cause 2: I think I just talked about this, the story is worth completing and then you can gently caress around in the sandbox after.
Torchlight: It's a good hack'n'slash, but like you mentioned in the comment for the game, it can take a toll on your clicking finger. It's really not that long though, if you got to the point where your finger was hurting you were probably pretty close to finishing it.

I think you can safely null Poker Night at the Inventory unless someone knows of some way that it can be considered "beaten".

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

DoD I guess I'm really not up for learning a whole new roguelike right now. Should probably null it (at least for a while)

Yeah, fair enough. To be honest, if you are a nethack player I'm not really sure what DoD could bring to the table for you. It's got cute visuals though, so I guess if you get tired of looking at an ASCII display or those terribly generic tiles then you can always have a game of DoD.

Colon V posted:

GSB I think I'm mostly done with the basic 'campaign' challenges. What's taking me so long is trying to beat them on every difficulty. It's laughably easy on normal most of the time, and dicking around with ship design is fun. I've heard there's a DLC with a proper campaign mode. Is it worth it?

I don't own any of the DLC, I meant the same "campaign" challenges that you do I think. That DLC which gives the game a "proper campaign mode" looks pretty sweet though I must admit. I'm pretty dedicated to my backlog now though so don't want to make any purchases until my unfinished % is much, much lower. I don't think it would be in the spirit of the thread if I encouraged you to get it :colbert:

Colon V posted:

HL2 I knowwww. I've gotten to Ravenholm something like four times now, but beyond that, all the wave racer sections kind of make me taper off a bit..

Heh, I only recently finished the original Half-Life. Years of starting it and not finishing it, I must have sat through the opening rail scene about a dozen times. It felt incredibly good to finish it though so just dooooooo iiiiiiiitttttttt.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Finally finished Magicka. Lot's of technical faults sucked the fun right out of this one, it became a tedious chore to get this game finished. CTD's, "death cycles", characters stuck in the shield regen pose, not re-spawning when dead, unable to skip cut-scenes even when they come up with the "skip" button. Ugh.

Can anyone recommend something from my unfinished list? After that experience I'm just looking for something "dumb", something super easy with nice controls and isn't going to crash on me.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

Did you try to play through Magicka solo? Jesus Christ, you poor, poor bastard.

Yeah, solo. I started playing it with a bud but ended up just going through it by myself. Oh well, it's over now....

Thanks for the suggestions, I think something like Crayon Physics Deluxe is just what I need right now.

ToxicFrog posted:

And if you want something more visceral, Doom is about as basic as an FPS can get. Install Brutal Doom for maximum cathartic bloodletting.

I've beaten the original Doom ("Ultimate Doom" using ZDoom), Doom 2 & 3 are still unfinished. Not sure if I'm keen to open the Doom 2 bag of worms yet though. I've heard those extra maps (Final Doom) are extremely difficult.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ManxomeBromide posted:

Meanwhile, I beat Shadowgrounds

What did you think of it? I beat it not too long ago and enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. I'm currently playing through Shadowgounds: Survivor, it's basically the same, but more.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished Shadowgrounds: Survivor and according to Steam I only played it for 3 hours. :stare: Before that I finished the recommended Crayon Physics: Deluxe which was pretty fun, for the small amount of time it took to beat.

I also nulled Gyromancer, I'm done, seriously. There is only so much repetitive puzzle game I can take before I go loving mad.

I just dug through my backups and found the save files from when I played Far Cry 2 (Apparently from March 2010). Steam said I have already put 25 hours into it so I'm going to see if I can finish it up next.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Red_Fred posted:

Finally playing The Binding of Isaac when I want to play something for 10 minutes max or want a change from the above two. Not playing on "finishing this" anytime soon as I understand it's random?

Individually the levels are random, along with loot and order of bosses. The game follows a predictable level pattern though and apart from certain item usage the levels go in a set order.
It is possible to "beat" it and to "complete" it. It's difficult to explain without spouting off spoilers but there are two achievements which I think fit perfectly to the "beaten" and "completed" status on backloggery.

Achievement names if you want them:
Beaten:Juda's Fez: Complete the full game.
Completed:Golden God!: 100% the game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just beat Far Cry 2. It's a good thing I found that save file otherwise I don't think I would have made it all the way through. It's a great game, but traveling is tedious when everything just constantly respawns, it must have been the reason I gave up on it the first time.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vizrt posted:

It seems I've started to create another smaller backlog within my current one...drat.

That is what my null list has evolved into. At first it was just games which it was meant for (those that don't have endings/can't be beat), but it has also morphed into a "Games that are poo poo/I don't like" list. When I finally beat/complete my backlog I'm going to have quite a list of awful games marked as null :ohdear:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just completed Darwinia, what a loving adorable game. Absolutely loved it.

I pulled out my old save files of Red Faction: Guerrilla from a backup. I think I got about half way through it so will finish that off. I remember really enjoying the destruction in the game, but I think that was it's only redeeming factor.

On another note, I got Empire Earth: Gold Edition a little while back for free over at GoG as part of some promotion. Does the game have campaign mode or something beatable?

e: Ugh, I forgot Red Faction was GFWL. Apparently it isn't possible to restore the save files without the original GFWL install folder that the save was created with. I think I'm just going to throw the game away (retail copy) and remove it from my backlog, GFWL is such an obnoxious system I really don't want to ever deal with it again. It makes me wonder if those pirating the game have to put up with this, no doubt they are better off than legitimate customers /rant.

Xik fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 20, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ManxomeBromide posted:

I also beat Shadowgrounds: Survivor, which is much worse than Shadowgrounds by every metric - especially since I was also one of the 0.1% of players who had the game crash to desktop, without saving progress, with great regularity. Frozenbyte put a patch up on the Steam forums, which got me through the game. Hilariously, after accounting for the crashes and level replays, I spent exactly the same amount of time on Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, to within six minutes.

That's one way to extend playtime I suppose. I finished Survivor not long ago and I spent less then half the time I did on the original, 7 hours for the first and 3 hours for Survivor. I did like playing them both though.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

What about "free" games? I've ended up spending a lot of time and money on Spiral Knights recently, mostly because this elevator pass thing means I'm not punished for wanting to play more.

I used to put "free to play" titles on the list after I had spent money on them (implied I was spending lots of time on them), but I have recently removed most of them again because they are just going to sit in the null pile. I've never played Spiral Knights but honestly if it has some way to be beaten and you play it often, why shouldn't you put it on? For me, the entire purpose of backloggery is basically to be a glorified checklist, so if your goal is to beat a game, put it on.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

How did you get in? I talked the front-guy down, and "absolved" him of the kid-shooting, because I'm working on a Pacifist/Foxiest of the Hounds run, but I'm interested to see the fallout if you just shoot your way through.

You can also sneak in through the back. If I remember correctly you come up through the sewers and end up behind the fence. You then sneak in and go up the elevator to the various levels, as always though poo poo hits the fan if you are seen.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Beat: Plants vs Zombies - Turns out this one has steam cloud and it just so happens that I had almost finished it last time I played.

Beat: Tropico 3 - It's a pretty enjoyable game but it takes ages, especially if you have to wait it out until 1990. The entire time I played I was in fast-forward and it still felt slow.

Feels good to finally have them all done.

Completed: Space Pirates and Zombies - I seriously love this game, addictive and fun. I spent serious amounts of time exploring every system, I couldn't not do it.

Later in chapter four I wiped out the entire infection and upgraded the infrastructure in every system to max.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Beat: Alpha Protocol - This game is ruined by being a lovely port. Terrible controls, lovely checkpoint system, so many technical issues and bugs that stripped choices, intel and completely removed all enemies from missions, forcing me to redo them countless times or reloading at the last safe house.

It's only saving grace was the story and even that ended up pissing me off when at the end I just rode off into the sunset on a loving boat with the handler I shacked up.. gently caress this game.

Because this thread needs more screen-shots this was my load-out for most of the game, obviously with everything being worse early and gradually progressing.

I was going to play Recettear but I'm going to "shelve" that for later, I'm not in the mood for it's "cutesy" visuals at the moment. I think I'm going to play Metro 2033 next.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh god, I hope Steam hasn't changed their games page format or something.

gently caress you, Steam, get a proper public API or something. :argh:

What's your Steam community link?

I'm not sure how you currently pull the information but in case you didn't know; Steam does offer a public "API", although I use the term pretty loosely in this case. Just specify that you want the xml version by adding "?xml=1" to the end of the url.

Eg: My normal profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan

Xml version of my profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan?xml=1

So you can get a xml feed of my games by going here http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan/games?xml=1

I stumbled upon it when I was looking at getting an efficient way to pull the data for a "Steam Statistics" project I played with to learn php.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I just tried searching for the wiki page I used as a reference about the various steam community ID's. I couldn't find it, but I did find something which might interest you. Steam Web API. Seems that have an actual "proper" API now.

Looks like you can get data in JSON format. I don't know if there are any decent JSON libs for Lua, but if there are that would quite likely make things even easier.

e: VVVVV Oh, you are right, it doesn't offer that type of information on gamelists. My mistake. You'll have to use the xml feeds, but still, that's pretty painless with a good XML parser.

Xik fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 13, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to beat Doom 3 but nulled it instead, I gave it a good go but got 10 hours in and thought "gently caress it", I'm so over this.

This screenshot sums up the game quite well:

It would be funny if that wasn't what I was looking at the entire game.

I'm still trying to beat Super Meat Boy, I'm on the second to last level, but the game stubbornly refuses to let me pass it. I spent 5 hours getting to the last world and spent that long on the last 4 levels so far. I'm so bad at this game.

Spent 40+ hours playing Stalker: Clear Sky only to find out that there is a show stopper bug just before the end which won't let me finish. I'm not sure if my conscious will let me mark it as beat, but it pisses me off that I'll never get to finish it.

e: VVVVV Thanks for the link but the darkness was only one of the reasons I stopped playing, I just didn't want to get all :spergin: about how I thought it was a terrible game.

Xik fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 25, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing around with creating a backloggery alternative.

The basic idea is it's backloggery without the social elements (comments/multitap etc) as I'm completely not interested in that. I guess it would be for those who only use backloggery as a glorified todo list. Automatic importing of steam games is done, it's easy to use, just put in your community profile url and it imports all your games, if the game already exists in your list it will update the hours played. The main thing though is that I wanted more categories, the lack of categories on backloggery has come up a few times in this thread.

So, would anyone think they'll want to use such a site? What categories would you like to see? Any feature requests (keeping in mind it's focused more on being a "todo" list)? It currently has an option to enter hours played and can be updated from steam but I'm thinking of dropping that as I'm not sure if anyone would want to tediously track hours for non-steam games. Also, it's kind of depressing to see :smith:

Anyway, backlog progress: pretty much none. I'm still bitter about not being able to finish Stalker: Clear Sky because of a crash/save game corruption. Spent the weekend playing Path of Exile and also games of Neo Scavenger

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'd just like to say how relieved I am to hear you lot complain about Osmos. I nulled it ages ago because it suddenly got tough as poo poo and I couldn't beat it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
FTL Beta was added to Steam not long after putting in for the kickstarter and beat it after like 30+ tries.

Also finally Beat: Legend of Grimrock. Good game, some amazing level design but I can't see myself ever playing it again. There is no randomization to it at all, even the loot.

Beat: BioShock. Very cool setting/environments, a good story and some decent characters even though you only really "know" them through radio or recordings. As a shooter though, it's pretty average and I really don't think it should have got the critical acclaim it did. I don't think I'll ever understand gaming "journalism".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Blueshift is my favorite Half Life and IMHO is significantly better then Opposing Force.

I got through the Steam Sale without contributing to my backlog really. I bought and "beat" Payday which is pretty fun, but the few maps you get become seriously stale, very quick. I don't think I'll get anything else now unless Crusader Kings II is the next community choice.