Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Steam Calculator gives me 186 games for $2542.65 USD while my Steam client returns 198 games.

I don't really want to track stuff manually so I'm very interested in Backloggery but registration are still closing and as two days ago, shouldn't come back for weeks. Seeing how everything else is slow, I'm afraid we will never see new registrations!

Anyway, I only beat a small portion of my list. Some I will never play because they came with a pack of some such. Some I beat before I bought them again for nostalgia when they made their way on Steam.

I've been playing Divinity II up until 2 weeks ago but I stumbled in a spot where it's pretty difficult with massive amount of enemies... I need to visit 3 or 4 areas like that and it killed my interest. I'm about to fire it up again hoping I won't get disgusted again. Bully : Scholarship Edition is next in line after Divinity II.

I own a PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360. I've got a backlog there too. Nowhere near as bad...

I'm just saying because I've been playing some Mortal Kombat 9 on the PS3 lately.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

I think they'll open up registrations soon. They just recently redesigned the site and new registrations should be enabled soon.

Yes I visited the website for the first time yesterday and there's a message saying a couple of weeks dating two days ago. But a couple of weeks was also stated on the 19th of April.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just beat Dinivity II : Dragon Knight Saga's base game. I'm tackling the expansion tomorrow.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Tolwyn posted:

Currently trying to beat:
The Witcher, since I bought the 2nd one and want to play it pretty bad. Also on my list after that along with beating The Witcher 2 are Metro 2033, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Amnesia and STALKER. Ahhh this will take a good chunk of my next 2 weeks off.

All good games too!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just beat (well completed I think, I did all the sidequests in the expansion and all that I could in the base game, I gimped myself on some of them thus being broken) Divinity II : Dragon Knight Saga.

Both games had the worst endings, I liked the game but those endings ruined any replay value to check on the rear end in a top hat options.

I recommend it if you want a nice little RPG. I liked the freedom you don't usually have in newer RPG games.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Can we drop a game when it's boring? I'm just not getting into Bully at all.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr Right posted:

I've dropped a few, at least you have now tried the game and can have some buyers remorse. Or get a controller and persevere since Bully is actually a pretty good game if you like sandbox like games with a difference.

I have a controller and I liked GTA, Just Cause 2 and other sandbox games. Bully is just loving annoying with the clock ticking so fast, more often than not I can't do a mission while skipping class and get back to get busted and time warp to the class.

I played for 6 hours and doing the main missions is way too annoying. I don't see a point of just exploring and do cool things in this game. At least it only cost 3$ or so back when I bought it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedd posted:

I really hope you give the game another chance, I do not know how you manage to spend 6h in the chapters before the town opens; but as soon as you unlock the town you cant be brought into class outisde of school grounds and you have plenty of time to do other stuff.
Skipping class in general is easy though; but the minigames are somewhat fun and give good bonusses

What? I'm in Chapter 3. And I don't want to skip classes, but I want to do missions but the time ticks so fast I end up skipping class accidentally because the few minutes you spend on the mission means 5 hours in the game. Also, time goes by. I think I have a limited amount of days since Halloween and Christmas went by.

But yeah I love sandbox games and I played a bunch of them. For some reason I can't stand Bully. I think it's the way I want to explore but also not miss classes... Anyway enough of this derail, I'm sorry guys.

I need to pick a different game now.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Saturday posted:

Alright. Been a while since I posted. I gave up on Condemned for some reason. I'll return to it one day, I just find myself getting less and less interested in beating hobos up. In the meanwhile, I've beaten Assassin's Creed 2, and bought Brotherhood during that deal the other day to get down on some multiplayer action, and to continue the story. About to try that out, but my main focus right now is Mirror's Edge. I also got Brink, but you can't really "beat" that per se, and also Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which I'm playing through in co-op with someone, so my progress in that sort of depends on him being on and both of us feeling like playing.

I sucked rear end at Mirror's Edge (also I decided not to use a gun once) and it only took 5-6 hours to beat the campaign. You should be able to go back to Assassin's Creed soon!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedd posted:

Well I might have sold my steam account so that solved a lot of backlog problems from my side. :3:

Are you hurting that much for money? My contract just finished and I'm looking for a new job (interview tomorrow as a matter of fact). I still couldn't sell my Steam account. I'm sure I'd regret it later.

I used the random steam game website and it gave me Racettear which I played a while. I did it again and it gave me Star Wars Jedi Academy. I remember playing Jedi Academy and some (or all) Jedi Knight II. I did a quick google to find the chronology of the games. I just did the first level of Dark Forces. Man I'm so nostalgic about the controls and graphics. Also needed colored cards for certain doors!

Got the latest version of Dosbox and using some custom configs along with the hq4x scaler to smooth the graphics. From Snes emulation testing, I found that it's a good compromise between pixelated graphics and too blurry when you try to smooth it even more.

Now, seeing if I can finish the first game!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Lamacq posted:

Speaking of, anybody know how long Dark Forces takes to complete, roughly? Also looking at tackling that after I finish Descent (which I'm having a blast with, btw. Highly recommend to anybody who has that in their backlog)

Google says it's very short with only 12 levels. I did the first two in 0.7 hour.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Tooetoo posted:

Don't forget that The Backloggery is opening its registration tomorrow. It's great for showing off your giant backlog to all your friends, I guess.

e: beaten :)

I want to use it to track my games. Categories on Steam are the worst thing ever. An intern would do a better job.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mine is http://backloggery.com/Hemish

I can't seem to find an option to add you from your page. I'll have a look in my account options. The website is so slow! I'm curious how many new people are swarming in! Actually it's not working for me most of the time.

Edit : Oh! I found a very small "add to multitap"!

Edit2 : Yeah the website is timing out. I only managed to add you guys and add one game. Everything is non responsive now.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 3, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Man this is a bit sad. I won't have one single completed game I think. I don't care at all for achievements or getting 100% in a game like GTA or Batman : Arkham Asylum.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Can you guys add me? (http://www.backloggery.com/hemish) I can't add http://www.backloggery.com/americanzero4128 because the link is not there and I'm afraid I did something wrong in my account preventing you to add me.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

americanzero4128 posted:

That doesn't make any sense, I'm able to add games to my account. I have noticed I can't find where to add people. I'm trying to add Zat and Zedd, and I see the TF2 banner, but I don't see an "Add to Multitap" button on your page anywhere. When I'm in my multitap, I don't see how to add someone.

Yeah where the links should be in your profile don't show up. I was just afraid my account did the same thing.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Seems like the website finally died. Does this guy have a twitter, facebook or blog hosted somewhere else so we could get some news?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Met posted:

Let me get in on this action: http://www.backloggery.com/MarginWalker

Feel free to add me, criticize or recommend stuff, talk Fugazi, or whatever!

Edit: It's gonna take a long time to get every game uploaded though, the site is getting hammered.

Yes. I gave up and will try at some later date. I'm afraid he widely under estimated his own website's popularity.

Let's hope his host don't drop him because he's hogging the server he's on or something.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I added all my Steam games I think... I didn't add something like 10-15 from a category I created for games I will never play. Came in packages and what not.

Also added the ones I had on CD I could see from my chair. Will fiddle more when the site is not dying.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I had a 50% coupon show up for Rift on D2D waiting for me when I woke up this morning...

MMO. My worst enemy to complete games.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Just finished Star Wars - Jedi Knight : Dark Forces II !

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

tokyosexwale posted:

Nice. As a kid I bought that game when it came out, but could never beat it. As the first FPS I had ever played it pretty much kicked my rear end, but man did I love those FMV cutscenes. Kyle Katarn's hair :allears:

Yeah I smiled when I saw it was live actors! Those were the good times. The game is not easy and I often get a bit lost at what to do. The map showing many levels at the same time doesn't help much. It's refreshing not to be on rails like most modern games. I'm sure it would blow kids heads off knowing they had to backtrack after 30 minutes in the same level to that door you couldn't open before which didn't tell you its color, name, etc... You get a key and you take a guess!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just finished Star Wars - Jedi Knight : Mysteries of the Sith and will start Star Wars - Jedi Knight II : Outcast soon. I think I will indeed finish the whole serie. Only Outcast and Jedi Acedemy left. I played those two years ago, can't remember if I ever finished them.

They're not the longest games but anything you can clear from the backlog can't be bad!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Star Wars - Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast is one of the best shooters I ever played. I get lost all the time, backtracking, old school levels. It's like I'm in a Star Wars movie the way the stormtroopers die and fall off ledges.

I think I got this game back then and only played singleplayer or something and didn't get very far into the game (I remember the trial to get my lightsaber). I saved at the beginning of level 17. They're 24 of them total I think.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Purple D. Link posted:

I wish the game could run well on modern systems. I really like it but bugs and the lack of music in the Steam version hampered it for me. I tried it again today on Windows 7 (the last time I played it was on a different PC with XP) and the colors were messed up. I wish there was a source port or something. :(

In backlog clearing news, I decided to restart Peggle Deluxe. I forgot how fun and adorable this game is. :3:

What? It works flawlessly for me with http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018 since I have an ATI card. I don't have bugs beside a white screen when it loads, I press ESC and get to the main menu fine. I also hear music, the official Star Wars soundtrack no less.

Edit : I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64 bits, Crossfire (2 x 4870), 6 gigs of RAM and Raid 0 for my system drive. All to get me troubles but none with this game after the fix (game just won't start otherwise).

Hemish fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 12, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Purple D. Link posted:

...Oh crap, I misread your post and thought you were talking about Dark Forces II. I still get the names mixed up. :doh: I haven't played JO on this PC yet but JA works fine.

I had to use a third party file too. Someone wrote a new DirectX wrapper (http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=47&section=downloads) and I could enable the special video setting. I had crazy textures colors otherwise.

As for the music, I didn't notice. I usually turn the music off in games. I kept it for Jedi Outcast when I forgot and noticed it was the original movie soundtrack.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Madcosby posted:

Oh man, this thread... Originally inspiring, but I suppose I have a success story.

I installed Dawn of Discovery... It's a bit of a sim game but I've done the campaign, all the scenarios ( minus the labrinyth one), and now have settled with a comfortable continuous game.

Total play time: 158 hours. That's one game, for 158 hours straight, no others were played simultaneously. Usually in 3-5 hour intervals. Rough! But I think I can comfortably move it to the "Completed" section of my steam folders.

I think I'm going to play Divinity II... it feels like a single player MMO with a diablo loot style game. I imagine that'll be another 40 hour commitment. I played about 5 hours in before installing Dawn of Discovery.

Are you guys spending that much time in your games or still jumping around?

I don't jump too much around. My problem is that I don't feel like playing most of the time when I get back from work (got laid off because of budget cut from the government so it's not a problem now)... If I don't touch a game for a few days I often forget about it and then when I need to come back, I'm lost so I lose interest a second time. So, one single player game at a time and a side dose of multi player Starcraft II, some leveling on the MMO a bit, etc...

I'm currently also playing Rift. I'm level 21 and I still managed to clear Star Wars Dark Forces, Dark Forces II, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast and now playing Jedi Academy. I'm so proud of myself. If I complete the series I think it'll be more games I usually complete a year.

Divinity II is pretty fun. It took me 43 hours to play through the base game and expansion. I usually just beat and not complete games but in RPG I GOT to do all the side quests. So easily less than 40 hours if you don't do all of them. I played that just before the Jedi Knight series.

I will focus on easy to clear games for now. Shooters, third person action game, adventure games, etc... I won't touch RPGs and games like Dawn of Discovery because I could clear so many games during that time. Blackloggery tells me 181 games that are unfinished. Gotta clear those babies before I get into another RPG (and good god I have a lot of them).

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Finally completed the whole Jedi Knight series with Star Wars - Jedi Knight : Jedi Acedemy! Five games! Must be a whole year's worth of backlog clearing right there. randomsteamgames.com gave me one a Commando game... I remember those games were pretty hard, right? How long are they?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm going to resist! I still have like 180 games unplayed/unfinished, mostly on Steam. At that point, waiting for a GOTY might be better (and will let me clear some backlog).

I started Alpha Protocol to go along Commandos : Behind Enemy Lines. I'm thinking doing all 3 games in a row will kill this real backlog action I started a bit more than a week ago

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ManxomeBromide posted:

Well, sort of. I'm about 30% of the way through Tomb Raider: Anniversary now because I'm pretending it's a 1996 game, and it's really kind of interesting how much differently Lara Croft controls from the Prince or Altaïr. She's clearly based on a gymnast instead of a parkour person, and she also feels a little less blatantly superhuman. She can still break a 15-foot fall with her fingertips, but it's not as effortless as when the Prince does it, and the fact that you have to finish more exertion-heavy moves with a balance-correct input is a nice touch. It's also kind of nice to be able to turn while jumping, thus allowing Lara to grab ledges she's jumping past. The Prince never seems to have learned that trick. I guess wallrunning spoils you.

I don't remember if they retrofitted her flavor moves from the other game into the remake. You can flip, carthweel and do stuff like gymnasts do on those big blue mats. You can link some into attacks or dodges.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

happynoodle posted:

http://www.backloggery.com/onorai

Well i have 75 games on my steam backlog, and a few console games as well. Naturally i got zelda's twilight princess for the wii as my first forture cookie. But i got Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast as my first steam game to work on!

But should i work on Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith first, or should i do as the fortune cookie commands?

Do like I did. It suggested Jedi Academy, the last in the series so I played all the games from 1995 to Academy (2003?).

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm a dumb motherfucker. Bob Came In Pieces and Braid are kicking my rear end. I'm so dumb I can't figure out how to do most of the puzzles. I was doing somewhat okay until I reached World 4 I think. Where time is frozen unless you move yourself. Monsters always time themselves to be on top of the ladder when I need to go up... I somehow started on World 3 in the little house.. can't find the previous worlds?

I guess I'm functionally retarded and I didn't know it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Problem Sleuth posted:

That means I've never completed a game in my entire life. :(

A lot of people like me don't care about these things. I play a game, maybe I will beat it... If I do it's money well spent. I had fun, most likely it was on sale on Steam so it was cheap... You get your money's worth that way!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

How you guys been doing on this sale? So far I was able to restrain myself and only make one purchase, Darksiders.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

^^^^^^ I got a new job on June 23rd after losing the old one to cutbacks at the end of May. I treated myself to 2 x 2tb hard drive on sale on ncix.ca (They had some nice deals for Canada day) and will treat myself to a few games I will probably never play! I was in the same boat as you last year, though. No work for the summer so I got laid off but I knew I'd come back after a bit more than 2 months. I ended up spending 100$ on the summer sale :( I have no self control.

Vintersorg posted:

I snapped today -- ID super pack and both BioShocks, these deals are too good!!

I'm also eyeballing the ID Super Pack...

Edit : On the subject of getting new games, I can't download for poo poo no matter what server I try.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 2, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

$30 is worth it just for the Doom 3 and the expansion pack alone I think. So much gaming nostalgia in that drat thing.

I feel old. Doom 3 is nowhere near old enough to enter the nostalgia category! I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D and how it blew my mind. Then Doom came along... Having to go to friends' house to play it because I only had a 8086 computer with a yellow monochrome monitor!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Haha we're doomed! :v:

If someone had told me that once I'd be an adult, I would BUY more games than I can play... I still remember when we got the 386 with a color monitor and 2 megs of RAM. Finding someone with a real copy of a game so you could copy it yourself.

I think when we upgraded that 386 for Internet I was finally able to play Adventures of Willy Beamish on there... My dad made a copy from 3.5" floppies on 5.25" ones. I think we ended up with 26 disks.

Now we need a support thread to get us to play games. Can you imagine how many games we could clear if we were kids? Even with our low income we could afford a good bunch of games during those sales.

Now I get home and I'm often not in the mood to play, a bit too tired. I feel my 30 sometimes!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Chinook posted:

Hello, my name is Mark, and I'm a Steamaholic.

I have a backloggery account, but it's full of a bunch of PS2/NES/older games. I had used to to measure my game collection back when I did that. Maybe I'll make up a new one for Steam games...

I'm doing alright with the sale, but have probably bought about 10 games. I truly only buy games when they are 75% off or more, and packs (those great indie packs) whenever possible.

I can't necessarily commit to no longer buying games until I finish them, but I do think that I will potentially make myself PLAY at least one game for each new game I buy. Hahahaha, I suck...

Will add my backloggery account here soon.
EDIT: No, I won't. I'll do what Migishu did and do it all in Steam.

Where did you get those stats in the picture?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

It's true. I would have been two days in a row with no purchases if it wasn't for that drat Alpha Protocol. Although I'm not getting anything today. Nothing.

If there's one game you shouldn't feel guilt about, it's Alpha Protocol at 5$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

My damage so far :

Darksiders 4.99$
Fallout : New Vegas 14.99$
Fallout : New Vegas - Dead oney DLC 2.99$
Fallout : New Vegas - Honest Hearts DLC 2.99$
X3 - Terran Conflict 4.99$

I'm proud of myself not buying much games this year! Only 30$ so far.

I guess I don't have any merits for that... Lot of nice deals that I passed was because I already had those games... :negative: