Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Hi I am SixOhSix. I've been drowning in games forever.

First and foremost, my most up-to-date forays in conquering my gaming Hell are here:

I am at 153 games on Steam, and own a total of around 200 games across all platforms. Thanks to Steam, PC alone has the worst unfinished with 41 unfinished games, which has been a bit of a losing battle for a while.

My strategy for completing games without burning out has involved having a game on each platform that I have to beat or play through, and using https://www.random.org to decide which to play from those on a given day to keep things fresh. Also to help with burning out, the most I play in one sitting is 3 hours. If I'm going to play for longer I'll separate it with at least a 1 hour break. It seems a little crazy and overinvolved, but honestly it's served me well for about a year now in keeping from burning out on extremely long games (I'm looking at you Disgaea 3).

And of course, feel free to add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/psysix to shoot the poo poo while we work on our beastly backlogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Currently playing:
Disgaea 3 (this could take a year)

This game is an absolute hurdle to any backlog. I've been playing that beast on and off for over a year. Simply put, play it on occasion, but if you've got something new you really want to crack into, give that a higher priority. Otherwise you will never beat ANYTHING.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

So apparently my focus as of late is trying and weeding out games that I straight up don't enjoy. I started playing Yggdra Union, which I got free with another game, and have decided that about 4 hours of trying to get it was enough to call it quits. I can see others liking that game for sure, but man is it not my cup of tea. Battles and overall gameplay are just way too unpredictable and at the mercy of the RNG at points for it to be a tactical game.
Next is to continue weeding through some of the PSP backlocg to at least get that caught up, and then continue tackling the beast that is the PC backlog.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

I tried to make some legitimate progress today, lasted about 5 minutes, got a little lost in the game I was playing, and turned it off. Either I'm in a bit of a gaming slump or my patience for JRPGs is getting very thin these days.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

PhancyPants posted:

Phew, I'm not the only one who bought "Jolly Rover" for some reason.

Mine came in a pack I bought during one of the many billion sales Steam had near the end of the year.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

SmokinDan posted:

My video card keeps overheating :( I managed to finish Kane and Lynch 2 on Friday but haven't been able to play anything else this weekend :(

Take out parts and blow them off individually. If you're still experiencing problems then the fan may have gone bad on the video card. Go ghetto and put a box fan next to the tower and order a new card ASAP.

I'm getting close to finishing Dirt 2. It's a really fun game but it suffers what every single Codemasters game has: it's way too long for how little in courses it has.

I also beat Soldner-X 2 as far as I probably will bother to, unlocked stage 5 and saw the effort needed to unlock 6, and that'll just wait till I have the time to memorize bullet patterns.

I'm gonna start and maybe try to beat Sonic 4 today, we'll see. I cancelled WoW to make further efforts on getting caught up (not that I was playing much anyways, latest expansion is very mediocre).

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Finally making some significant progress. I finished Dirt 2 finally, and went to beat the one release campaign as well as the two added ones in Left 4 Dead 2 I hadn't done yet. Got started on Serious Sam: 2nd encounter as well. I've beaten the first one, but for fun's sake I'm starting on Egypt anyways because it's drat fun.
Also went back to Space Invaders Infinity Gene on PS3 and got all the trophies but the one for completing the game using no continues, I'll eventually go back once again to get that and maybe get the DLC for it as well.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Made some progress to start out April. Beaten: Serious Sam 2nd Encounter, MegaRace. Up next is Red Faction: Guerrilla.

In the name of trying to hammer through everything like a crazy person, I'm changing up how I'm going through my backlog (since I now have ungodly amounts of HDD storage again after doing some media purging). Each game gets 10 hours of undivided attention. If I can get it beaten in that time or less (or if I just get sick of it in that time), then it's done. If not, it goes on the backburner for later. Then it's onto the next game. This is going to allow me to at least get a start/sample of everything quicker, and get the faster games out of the way fast to cut down my list. Once my list of poo poo has gotten a rotation, then I'll start working on any games that aren't finished yet and hammer away at those. This will also ensure when I buy a game, it'll get some dedicated attention the day I loving get it.
Since I haven't bought anything new really for PS3, I've already started it on that front. It's working out quite nice and keeps things varied. That said, probably never going to beat Test Drive Unlimited 2 (late-game races are bullshit) and Disgaea 3 (over 120 hours and I still haven't wrapped up the story even though I'm on the last chapter).

In the meantime, my iPod's backlog has gotten MASSIVE. I may need to start blasting through that soon...

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Started Red Faction: Guerrilla, then after 8 hours, dropped it with no desire to finish. Running around being Space rear end in a top hat is fun for a while, but the missions are a pain in the rear end,the game is buggy as hell, and even though it boasts and auto-save, I lost 20 minutes of progress somehow after its third CTD today which is completely unacceptable. The best part is to even start, I had to read the Steam forums to discover that it has to be forced to DX9 mode to even work for a lot of people (including me). Oh yea, and infinitely spawning enemies always pisses me off to no end.
In turn, I started Devil May Cry 4, and talk about a drastic difference. Much more personality, far more interesting graphics, and a blast to play.

That said, I'm not getting anywhere because even with my increased progress, I'm still not improving because of Steam's ridiculousness this past week I'm getting games just as fast as I go through them.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

Guys, I fell of the wagon and bought the GTA series and Killing Floor. Oh, and Portal 2 got released. :smith:

Did almost the exact same thing. At least I'm over halfway done with Portal 2 already. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Portal 2 :negative:

Fear not, it won't take long to get it beaten, I just finished it this morning!