Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

FMguru posted:

I think that title belongs to the loving barometer.

hmm according to this Sweet App i got, looks like a storm is coming

*xooms outta here*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kirk posted:

granted but why arent they attempting

i mean id at least expect them to try writing some sort of obj-c wrapper for adobe air/flex so they could run a ported version of photoshop and have it be some ungodly slow monstrosity that doesn't loving work

instead: nothing

They're in the late stages of Microsoft-itis, living off the revenue of locked in customers and completely ignoring new markets. It'll be hilarious to see their response when a killer Photoshop replacement comes out for the iPad and their buggy, crashy version comes out a year later.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Kirk posted:

hmm according to this Sweet App i got, looks like a storm is coming

*xooms outta here*

Xoom Xoom in my mazada with my motorola Xoom

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Atasi posted:

They're in the late stages of Microsoft-itis, living off the revenue of locked in customers and completely ignoring new markets. It'll be hilarious to see their response when a killer Photoshop replacement comes out for the iPad and their buggy, crashy version comes out a year later.

no their version will own because it will have a button that you press and it just instantly sends the image you're working on to a nearby desktop running Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge for Networks (provided you have a Pro license) so you can put the finishing touches on it (even though this is an admission that the tablet version lacks necessary features)

AND because Adobe is rapidly responding to the needs and trends of its users, the ipad app will only cost $75

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
plus adobe is about to sweep the mobile gaming market with an easy to use converter that goes from SWF -> HTML5, so myriads of hot flash games are going to come to mobile devices and knock ur sox off babey

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
furthermore the unified interface on all adobe products is making it easier than ever to keep your skills current and portable - their innovative use of flash for the interface means that no matter what OS you're on, everything is consistent and works the way you expect it to be. plus it makes it more portable! and by separating the interface from the backend, adobe's team of talented engineers are free to work on the back end - speeding things up immensely and taking advantage of today and tomorrows computing power.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
photoshop will run on iosx 8

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kirk posted:

furthermore the unified interface on all adobe products is making it easier than ever to keep your skills current and portable - their innovative use of flash for the interface means that no matter what OS you're on, everything is consistent and works the way you expect it to be. plus it makes it more portable! and by separating the interface from the backend, adobe's team of talented engineers are free to work on the back end - speeding things up immensely and taking advantage of today and tomorrows computing power.

Are you Shantanu Narayen? You sound like you know way to much about Adobe's future plans to not be.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

none of the features advertised works in honeycomb or on the Xoom right now :xd:

microsd is even loving dumber than sd because there are no cameras that use microsd hahaha

they tossed it in probably from the phone oem line of thinking - "let's make users pay for storage if they want it to save a buck"

except most users are fine with 32 gb so it is completely useless

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984
Adobe only got 64-bit support in OSX with CS5. I really doubt they're going to make a good version of anything for the iPad or iPhone any time soon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am IRL concerned that the eventual death of Flash and resulting meltdown of Adobe's finances will ruin Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
our innovative and easy to use USB dongle will make installing photoshop easier than ever, and also cut down piracy immensely. one usb dongle is included with each copy of adobe creative suite, and all you do is plug it in... and viola! the adobe supervisor app is installed as as service and as long as you leave the dongle plugged in, adobe products will function as they normally would. you can even now install your adobe products on multiple machines - simply take the dongle with you and you can verify your ownership on each machine when you need to use it!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For those of you not paying attention Adobe has spent hundreds of millions of dollars building a consulting arm that literally knows nothing except for Flash/Flex/Air and every single one of their solutions requires it

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
*raises fist to nose, gets all serious*

one of the things that we've really struggled with is piracy by younger people. it's bad in that piracy is theft, but otherwise they wouldn't be able to learn the photoshop skills that they bring with them into the work world where actual adobe licenses are purchased.

as such, we're introducing a training program of sorts. during business hours, adobe will be running vnc servers and, using a specially crafted adobe air based remote desktop client, users will be able to log in and try out various adobe products in a low latency environment

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

It would be an awesome kick in the balls if Apple developed a photoshop clone that worked seamlessly between iOS and OSX. I loving want adobe to die at this point, it's going to be for the best.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i have a feeling that development on GIMP is going to be kicked into high gear soon and it wilahahahghahahahahahah oh man

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

It would be an awesome kick in the balls if Apple developed a photoshop clone that worked seamlessly between iOS and OSX. I loving want adobe to die at this point, it's going to be for the best.
I don't think anyone wants to take that on, print and color science is a patent minefield hypercube and Adobe owns like 1/3 of them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kirk posted:

*raises fist to nose, gets all serious*

one of the things that we've really struggled with is piracy by younger people. it's bad in that piracy is theft, but otherwise they wouldn't be able to learn the photoshop skills that they bring with them into the work world where actual adobe licenses are purchased.

as such, we're introducing a training program of sorts. during business hours, adobe will be running vnc servers and, using a specially crafted adobe air based remote desktop client, users will be able to log in and try out various adobe products in a low latency environment

Okay I got it, you're John Warnock. You're pissed about being forced out of a day to day role and given a mostly honorary position so you're divulging the content of board meetings in such a way that no one will believe it's you, but you still get cathartic release.

qirex posted:

I don't think anyone wants to take that on, print and color science is a patent minefield hypercube and Adobe owns like 1/3 of them.

Pretty sure Apple owns another 1/3, but worse comes to worse Apple just buys them outright for the engineers/patents/technology and shuts down the company.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
what is photoshop, fundamentally? well the name betrays what it is - Photo Shop. an application built around manipulating photos. this is why our next major release is "going back to basics", as it were. we'll be spinning off some of the more content creation related tools into a separate product, tentatively titled Adobe Piczone, in the major release after the upcoming one. for now, Photoshop will be about one thing - Photos. Color balance, red eye removal, you name it, we got it. Photoshop is going to be the number one destination for professionals and grandparents alike - because we're also revamping the entire UI to make it easier than ever. leveraging the power of flash, this new interface was rapidly iterated over the course of 6 weeks and frankly, we couldnt be happier with it.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

qirex posted:

So how can someone take down Adobe then?

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

Glumwheels posted:

By being just as awful but less obvious about it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Atasi posted:

Pretty sure Apple owns another 1/3, but worse comes to worse Apple just buys them outright for the engineers/patents/technology and shuts down the company.
No, print is full of companies that have been doing this poo poo from day 1 like EFI, Dainippon Screen, Polaroid, Pantone and all the device manufacturers like Canon and Xerox. When I worked at EFI the rumor was that about 1/3 of the price of a low-end Firey was license fees.

Apple patents are mostly around industrial design and UI

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Glumwheels posted:

Make a product that does 90% of the most common photoshop tasks in a hyper user focused UX that costs 10% of the CS5 price or less. I expect Apple to do it eventually, and make Photoshop the Premier of photo manipulation apps.

qirex posted:

No, print is full of companies that have been doing this poo poo from day 1 like EFI, Dainippon Screen, Polaroid, Pantone and all the device manufacturers like Canon and Xerox. When I worked at EFI the rumor was that about 1/3 of the price of a low-end Firey was license fees.

Apple patents are mostly around industrial design and UI

I bow to your superior knowledge, guess they'll just have to by them then.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Atasi posted:

Make a product that does 90% of the most common photoshop tasks in a hyper user focused UX that costs 10% of the CS5 price or less. I expect Apple to do it eventually, and make Photoshop the Premier of photo manipulation apps.
eh, this isn't the thread for that but the "pushing RGB pixels around" part of Photoshop is pretty trivial, it's expensive because of all the file formats and color models and processing it supports and this is the part that's heavily patent encumbered and requires people familiar with six-dimensional math to code.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the PSD format is like a digital gordian knot, good luck figuring that poo poo out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

eh, this isn't the thread for that but the "pushing RGB pixels around" part of Photoshop is pretty trivial, it's expensive because of all the file formats and color models and processing it supports and this is the part that's heavily patent encumbered and requires people familiar with six-dimensional math to code.

good thing print is dead then

poise krew
Dec 22, 2009

gregday posted:

sure this movie is poorly conceived, badly written, has terrible CG and the same goddamn smirk on every talking animal's face, but HEY, it's for kids! They'll eat this poo poo up!

--every dreamworks movie

wrong

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

poise krew posted:

wrong

noted byob poster comin to defend his childrens programming

lookout folks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

what is photoshop, fundamentally? well the name betrays what it is - Photo Shop. an application built around manipulating photos. this is why our next major release is "going back to basics", as it were. we'll be spinning off some of the more content creation related tools into a separate product, tentatively titled Adobe Piczone, in the major release after the upcoming one. for now, Photoshop will be about one thing - Photos. Color balance, red eye removal, you name it, we got it. Photoshop is going to be the number one destination for professionals and grandparents alike - because we're also revamping the entire UI to make it easier than ever. leveraging the power of flash, this new interface was rapidly iterated over the course of 6 weeks and frankly, we couldnt be happier with it.

s/flash/lua/ and you have adobe photoshop lightroom

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
:ssh:

korben
Aug 14, 2002

Atasi posted:

http://www.pixelmator.com/

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Downloading and installing? too much work http://pixlr.com/editor

gregday
May 23, 2003

Yoya posted:

Downloading and installing? too much work http://pixlr.com/editor

App Store.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kirk posted:

plus adobe is about to sweep the mobile gaming market with an easy to use converter that goes from SWF -> HTML5, so myriads of hot flash games are going to come to mobile devices and knock ur sox off babey
if they did that why wouldn't I just convert all flash to HTML 5 and never use flash again

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mufreesboro posted:

if they did that why wouldn't I just convert all flash to HTML 5 and never use flash again

enjoy having ur poo poo not work right on ie6-ie8 or older versions of firefox and also having poo poo randomly act differently across nominally html5 ready browsers like recent chrome, new firefox, opera, etc

gregday
May 23, 2003

if you target/test for any version of IE you are wasting your life on irrelevant bullshit

any user going to your site in IE isn't the kind of customer you want anyway

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gregday posted:

if you target/test for any version of IE you are wasting your life on irrelevant bullshit

any user going to your site in IE isn't the kind of customer you want anyway

thanks teapot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yea lets write for firefox users who are all idiot poors using linux. and not the most common browser in the world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
mobile is the future. ios is mobile. write for safari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
safari supremacy snype