Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

passionate dongs posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Carrier posted:

korea

daehanmingook

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Janin posted:

My dad bought an iPad for Christmas. Literally the only things he uses it for are ebooks, and scribbling (completely illegible, lol touchscreen) notes.

Despite this, when I asked what advantages his $850 iPad has over a Kindle + legal pad, he just kind of looked at me, then did the slide-animation on the home screen a few times.

Face it: iPad is the new Blackberry. Remember when everyone wanted one of those? Every businessman worth his BMW needed one. Now, blackberries are passe, and the ipad is now hip. Give it three years, and everyone will have moved on to something else.

its the future bitch
take it or leave it

Settlers_of_Katyn
Nov 25, 2010

by Fistgrrl
rofl xoom commercial the guy is reading 1984

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
It's BYOB time!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hardcoar

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money

Janin posted:

I'm not claiming it's been unsuccessful, merely that it's not useful.

Name one thing a tablet form factor gets you? Especially considering its numerous negatives:

1. no keyboard = no typing more than a paragraph

2. compact and small = very hot

3. fragile, exposed screen = have to buy a separate protective case, bag, etc

4. hideously expensive

1. get better fingers

2. lol lol

lolol

3. i threw mine in my carry on bag and flew coast-to-coast with it, no problem

4. stop being poor

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma
janin do you ever get tired of being wrong

Settlers_of_Katyn
Nov 25, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Autism Sundae posted:

It's BYOB time!

whoa

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
oh hey the xoom can take pictures that's pretty cool i gue

*ipad 2 comes out with camera*

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

tablets are all poo poo, moto atrix supremacy

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

haveblue posted:

it could also be fixed by google telling the carriers "gently caress off, the phone is a black box, take it or leave it" like apple does

freedom! open sores! - google's explanation

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma

Godzilla07 posted:

freedom! open sores! - google's explanation

freedom, for corporate bean counters to make an extra 10c per unit bundling shitware with your $700 device

also you don't have the freedom to remove it even if you'll never use it

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Evan posted:

1. get better fingers

2. lol lol

lolol

3. i threw mine in my carry on bag and flew coast-to-coast with it, no problem

4. stop being poor

1. fingers are cool

2. lol lol

3. cases are something that are available

4. they're not even that expensive (perhaps compared to a mcdonalds meal)

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money
i don't know if any of you fags are being good americans and watching the super bowl, but there was a laughably derivative commercial for the xoom (a laughably derivative tablet)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Autism Sundae posted:

It's BYOB time!

hahahaaha yes byob the forum that bought half the lovely emotes we live with now so what's 10bux :am::protarget::wooper:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Evan posted:

i don't know if any of you fags are being good americans and watching the super bowl, but there was a laughably derivative commercial for the xoom (a laughably derivative tablet)

for the first 15 seconds i thought it was an ad for the dc subway

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

problems with that dumb commercial

- dude is clearly gay
- 800 dollars for a tablet

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

also p. sure the nook color was the first honeycomb tablet :filez:

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Coffee Quack posted:

hahahaaha yes byob the forum that bought half the lovely emotes we live with now so what's 10bux :am::protarget::wooper:

:rms::rms::rms::rms2::rms:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

talk show ghost posted:

i'm not implying anything about it being revolutionary, i'm saying that apple is the only company that seems to understand that a good UI and reliability are 95% of what most people care about in a device. that's what they did for the ipod, iphone, and the ipad. took a market full of half-assed me too devices and actually spent some R&D instead of making GBS threads out the bare minimum.

apple is the second biggest corporation by market cap on the planet because they produce consumer electronics devices that are merely manufactured by third world fucktards as opposed to being designed and manufactured by third world fucktards

dunno whether that makes me happy or sad

i mean i hate apple but really why is it that a company actually being vaguely competent at their poo poo are heralded as bringing about the next stage in human evolution or whatever the gently caress. has the cargo culting really become that bad

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

:rolldice: :moreevil:

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Sneaking Mission posted:

:rms::rms::rms::rms2::rms:

Reported.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:stare: EIGHT HUNDRED loving DOLLARS

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
                /

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

loving blue ray piece of poo poo

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money

maniacdevnull posted:

for the first 15 seconds i thought it was an ad for the dc subway

oh i didn't notice anyone freebasing

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

jesus christ no one has any idea what they're doing, we should be thankful apple has saved us from this disgusting pit of incompetence we call a tech industry

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money

haveblue posted:

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.

haha wtf

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

ahaha no loving way

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

looooool

it's like they think being $50 less than an ipad will excuse a poor user experience

seriously, look at the official xoom site; it's got a dual-core processor but only 1GiB of ram, as if there's this giant underserved market of people just itching to encode video over 3g

my guess: this is verizon's way of getting back at apple for not releasing a cdma ipad yet

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money
ok which of you is this

e: thanks, attachments.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
either that, or

haveblue posted:

moto/verizon execs are on drugs

The Evan
Nov 29, 2004

Apple ][ Cash Money

Janin posted:

my guess: this is verizon's way of getting back at apple for not releasing a cdma ipad yet

cdma ipad was announced a month ago dude

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

at this point, 'sup ipad 2

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

The Evan posted:

cdma ipad was announced a month ago dude
seriously?

then I don't know what verizon's thinking

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

at this point, 'sup ipad 2

don't be retarded LG GG-Slate HD is right around the corner. $750 with triple BOGO

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

1. Predict failure of new apple product
  2. Attribute early success of new apple product to rabid fanbois affected by the reality distortion field
  3. Attribute longer term success of product to stupidity of consumers
  4. Purchase previously scorned product for stupid relatives so they stop bothering you to help support the open source version of apple product sold by Super Lucky Technology Extreme that you convinced them to buy
  5. Purchase previously scorned product for yourself just to see what all the fuss is about
  6. Admit that you now own and use the product, but complain about the product’s lack of an sd card slot on Internet forum
  7. Forget prior criticism of product, claim that it was revolutionary and an example of how apple used to be really innovative, but has now lost its edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also xoom was great it gave you a better host than geocities and 10 meg!!!!!