Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Glumwheels posted:

wait you have to pay for at least one month of data just to turn on a feature in the tablet?

android means freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

my wife has a thinkpad tablet that my kids use to draw stuff with

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

what is this posted:

more xoom love

seems like a lot of tegra 2-based tablets have this problem, the viewsonic gtablet would slow down the cores and get stuck at 450mhz or something until you rebooted

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

(hard drive)

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

coming soon now!

isn't there only one dual-core phone actually available for purchase

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

here honey, don't lose this stylus among your crayons

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

*not supported by at&t, see help

instructions for at&t:

1. install android sdk,

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

quote:

AT&T Compatibility
If you have an AT&T phone or tablet, you currently can't install the Amazon Appstore or purchase apps from it. AT&T is working to allow customers to install the Amazon Appstore and purchase apps from it. To sign up to be notified by AT&T when you are able to install the Amazon Appstore on AT&T phones and tablets, visit the AT&T website.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

cash money on my android desktop

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ posted:

gently caress it there are too many horrible android customizations, i started posting them here http://fuglyandroid.tumblr.com/

http://tinyurl.com/4f4lrg5

this one isn't a linux, its windows mobile

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

golgo13sf posted:

Hey this one looks good...

...because it looks like iOS

the clocks aren't synced! :argh:

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i get it, the larger homescreen clock has to be manually updated keeping with android's diy ethic

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

"What would I do? I'd shut [Apple] it down and give the money back to the shareholders,"

--michael dell, an idiot

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

ahhh spiders posted:

hands off my prius

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

qirex posted:

break time is over at the laugh factory!

the atrix fails at being a phone, some people in this thread are on their fourth or fifth phone trying to find one that doesn't sound like poo poo on the other end:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/45510?start=0&tstart=0

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

'with google' means the fone manufacturer didn't put a lovely skin on android, look at the back of any htc fone with sense and there will be no 'with google', same with samsung and touch wiz

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Obscuritatem posted:

is that asus eeepad thing with the clip-in keyboard any good?

the laugh factory is ramping up again:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/asus-eee-pad-transformer-uk-edition-review/

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

quote:

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. I have a coworker with an iPad2 and I've used it and of course I've used my Xoom extensively and I would still choose the Xoom every day of the week. It just feels like a so much more complete experience*.

* complete except for lte, sd card, flash, stable browser

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Kirk posted:

naw man it would be fine if like starfront collision were an ipad app but when you scale it the ui is too big and ugly. any ipad specific rts games ive found suck. c&c red alert was loving garbage but then again, EA

poo poo. although i bought red alert a weekend or two ago when it was down to 99 cents so no big loss. haven't played it yet.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

drat i thought ravers were all about plur, why you gettin mad over tagging

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Metrication posted:

so this thing dual boots windows 7 and symbian

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/15/ntt-docomos-fujitsu-loox-f-07c-goes-official-coming-with-windo/

why would want a desktop os on a smartphone screen etc

look at all these asterisks, just look* battery lasts two hours in windows mode, and atom runs at half speed

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Nija posted:

tradewars 2002 generation best generation

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Obscuritatem posted:

android stroke, coming this fall from samsung

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

went to a polycom demo today and they were excited about the claim there is a polycom camera in the xoom and galaxy tab. they only had android apps for video chat and would not admit to working on anything else mobile-wise.

also they thought microsoft buying skype is a good thing for their business and didn't think ms would kick them to the curb

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

we have a tandberg mxp 770 or something and the video quality is from 1998. we were looking at the polycom stuff, but even if we get it its still old rear end tandberg on the other end so there probably won't be an improvement

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

FMguru posted:

It might be excusable if it was another company, but e same thing happened with the g1 and magic/hero/whatever the next android phone was called

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Purchased two 3G Xooms

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

works for me

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

golgo13sf posted:

How this guy doesn't get punched every time he steps outside is beyond me.

TheDingo posted:

Looks like the case. Joshua Topolsky is (IMO) the best tech journalist out there, so This Is My Next is a great blog.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

diefool, that tablet is tracking your every move!!

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

still prefer a dedicated gps in the car. the live traffic is nice, but not having to wait for tiles to load in google nav because of at&t's network. the navigon app on iPhone was nice. maybe if I didn't live in bartertown it'd be better

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Don Lapre posted:

The entire route is cached when you start navigate so there should be no tiles loading.

that would be great if i was connected to wifi, but again at&t's network. there isn't 3g here unless you have verizon or sprint, at&t is edge.

even the nearest 3g area is overloaded to the point of being slower than edge.

when i take my kids geocaching sometimes there isn't a data connection at all. agtl on my n900 will cache tiles for the visible area on the map, i just have to zoom out to include all the caches.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

BonzoESC posted:

I got an iOS program called "OffMaps," it lets you grab areas and levels of detail to cache offline; it's all openstreetmap data, no aerial or terrain, so it might not work for geocaching.

i think the official geocaching.com app on ios and android let you cache maps. agtl uses openstreetmaps, it works just fine for the geocaching we do. if we got really into it i'd just buy a delorme or something. not having terrain or satellite sucks sometimes when you're following the arrow and it puts you into water or a line of trees. just have to pay attention to where you are going. i've just learned to pay attention and usually you can figure it out without having to backtrack or get stuck.

the biggest problem i've had with my n900 is no compass, so you have to keep moving or agtl gets confused as to which way you're facing.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

:bustem:

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

toshiba thrive (at an electrical outlet)

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

paying for licenses is evil

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I was sitting in the lunchroom at work using my Xoom to play the a sample of the wealth of hentai flash games on Newgrounds.com (let's see your iBad do that, crApple!) when a coworker came up to and remarked on how he didn't know I had an iPad. Naturally, I informed that baka gaijin that this wasn't a mere iPad, but the Motorola Xoom from the glorious land of Nippon. I went on to tell him how it blew the iPad away feature by feature and that only a fool would waste his money on an iPad.

He just rolled his eyes like the idiot he was and asked if I could share the wifi password with him. I responded with a well-deserved "I don't think so, Tim!" (his name is actually Chad) and went back to playing Meet and gently caress Kingdom. When he started to check his email, I asked him how he was able to do that without a working wifi connection. The self-satisfied jock told me "Oh, I'm just using the 3G connection. I just figured the wifi would be faster."

I sighed and unsheathed my katana.

motorola is swedish, dumbass

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Fox_Spy posted:

Got the Xoom on Woot the other day. I believe my wife will be using my G Tablet once I get Viewsonic to fix it. The wifi started getting unreliable on it and at this point I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. Although Viewsonic does not make it easy to contact them. I called the number on the warranty card and was informed that they were closed and they were open Monday-Saturday, 9AM to 9PM central time. I called at 8:30PM Eastern time. So, I really have no idea what their hours are.

Spousal abuse is a terrible thing :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

xoom's sd card support is here!!

Vagrancy posted:

If you care, 3.2 platform summary is up. Not much in the way of user facing features. Also what I got from the the wording (and then confirmed with a glance at XDA), is that the official SD card support is read only. You need to connect it via MTP to add more stuff.

Zhentar posted:

The device won't write to the SD card at all. It's easily capable of it, if it mounted it read/write, but it doesn't, so you can't write to it if you aren't rooted.

Not sure how it's shared when you connect to your computer.

yessssss