Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
I want to know what the thought process is behind ipad knockoffs

because right now it seems like "hmm if we make a lovely device that superficially resembles an ipad, but $100 less, maybe we can trick people into buying it"

tried out a Samsung tablet at fry's the other day, it was running some lovely two-year-old version of android with a bunch of "value-added" skins. it looked like they'd just grabbed a chinese knockoff case, shoved their shitware onto it, and shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Don Lapre posted:

Galaxy tab runs 2.2. Two year old version of android would be 1.1.
if it's actually 2.2, they somehow managed to gently caress it up *really* bad with their custom skins. I assumed it was 1.6 like that dumb knockoff dell released a few months back

whatever, it's still a piece of poo poo

I'm waiting for the toshiba tablet, which seems to be designed by not-morons, but they still have a few months to make it awful/expensive like their idiotic folio 100

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

what is this posted:

There's really no compelling narrative behind these android tablets at all. The iPad is thinner than many of them, has a bigger and/or better screen, gets better battery life, has apps and a UI designed for the tablet form factor, and doesn't cost more.

The android tablets are... smaller? Play flash videos poorly? More "open?" Nobody really cares about that stuff.

And then to top it off Apple's going to announce the iPad 2 in a month or so, which is going to leapfrog all the not-even-released yet android 3.0 tablets that are waiting in the wings.
there's no compelling narrative behind any touchscreen tablet. they have no keyboard, slow CPU/GPU, and are a pain in the rear end to write software for. the only reason the ipad is doing well is because it's got an apple logo on it.

the clonemakers are getting swept up in apple's own hype, then getting all confused when nobody cares about a $500 angry birds screen upgrade

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

what is this posted:

Yes on the second part, but you're an idiot on the first part. iPad is awesome and is selling really well. People love them. Also you can use a bluetooth keyboard just fine with an iPad, though once you're writing a lot of stuff it makes more sense to use a laptop or desktop.

It's so funny to see people like you who have a tragic mixture of aspergers syndrome and a palin-like smug stupidity continually trash the iPad.

When it came out you said it would never sell. Then it was a giant success. Now you claim it's only popular because people have been tricked into liking it by "Apple's Hype Machine"

Get a loving grip, you idiots. It doesn't sell well because Apple has hypnotized an entire generation. You're a moron for even considering mass hypnosis as a possibility. It's not a conspiracy. Obama wasn't born in Kenya. The iPad is genuinely good.
My dad bought an iPad for Christmas. Literally the only things he uses it for are ebooks, and scribbling (completely illegible, lol touchscreen) notes.

Despite this, when I asked what advantages his $850 iPad has over a Kindle + legal pad, he just kind of looked at me, then did the slide-animation on the home screen a few times.

Face it: iPad is the new Blackberry. Remember when everyone wanted one of those? Every businessman worth his BMW needed one. Now, blackberries are passe, and the ipad is now hip. Give it three years, and everyone will have moved on to something else.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

got dat wmd posted:

Can someone please explain why android devices ship with old versions of the software? I've never heard of this anywhere
the company doesn't care about their customers, so they just pick a version to develop against and never bother to update it.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

what is this posted:

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipadmodelsandterms/f/ipad-sales-to-date.htm

Jan. 18, 2011   -    14.8 million
Sept. 2010      -    7.5 million
July 21, 2010   -    3.27 million
May 31, 2010    -    2 million
May 3, 2010     -    1 million
April 8, 2010   -    450,000
April 5, 2010   -    300,000

15 million iPad sales so far. Less than a year after introduction.
I'm not claiming it's been unsuccessful, merely that it's not useful.

Name one thing a tablet form factor gets you? Especially considering its numerous negatives:

1. no keyboard = no typing more than a paragraph

2. compact and small = very hot

3. fragile, exposed screen = have to buy a separate protective case, bag, etc

4. hideously expensive

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

got dat wmd posted:

so android is basically so poo poo that even oems need to hack the roms

wow
no

when left alone, android is pretty decent. all of the best android devices run pure android, with few/no modifications.

but lots of vendors want to add their own "special sauce", so they spend lots of money on skins and less-useful versions of built-in apps. not to mention adding restrictions, like preventing customers from loading their own ringtones. all that breaking costs money.

eventually you end up with a device running android as a kernel, with a horrid in-house UI that has no graphical acceleration, half the features of the equivalent ipad/pod/phone, and a lot of bundled adware

it's analogous to buying windows computers a decade ago, where you could walk into a store and pay $50 for a system with bonzai buddy, aol, weatherbug, etc pre-installed.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

What was google thinking getting into a partnership with device manufacturers that had zero experience supporting devices once they shipped. They cant even manufacturer devices that dont become obsolete with new versions of android hahaha.
google doesn't know anything about hardware, or working with hardware vendors, or preventing them from ruining the user experience, or anything at all beyond software

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

talk show ghost posted:

this happens literally every time apple makes a successful product.

imac - no serial port? NO FLOPPY? nobody will buy that piece of poo poo!!
ipod - no fm radio? have to use itunes? nobody will buy that piece of poo poo!!
iphone - itunes AGAIN? at&t only? nobody will buy that piece of poo poo!!

guess what you stupid aspie motherfuckers, the only things that normal people care about in a device are that it works well, reliably, and isn't confusing as poo poo. that's it.
nobody bought imacs. seriously, nobody. they had like a 0.4% market share, and were completely ignored by everyone except the occasional college arts department

the ipod was popular because it was far and away better than the competition, which was largely CD players. nobody who cares about fm radio even owns a computer

likewise, the iphone completely trounced the competition because it wasn't some horrid featurephone with a few half-hearted arcade games

you're trying to imply that the tablet form factor is some sort of revolutionary advance over laptops, when actually all it does better is look like a prop from Star Trek.

e:

Amethyst posted:

get a macbook air

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ posted:

if you can't come up with a use for the ipad then shut the gently caress up and don't buy one, the rest of us are perfectly content to leave people behind in the mobile revolution, and better those people be unimaginative luddites
"mobile revolution" lol

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

:stare: EIGHT HUNDRED loving DOLLARS
looooool

it's like they think being $50 less than an ipad will excuse a poor user experience

seriously, look at the official xoom site; it's got a dual-core processor but only 1GiB of ram, as if there's this giant underserved market of people just itching to encode video over 3g

my guess: this is verizon's way of getting back at apple for not releasing a cdma ipad yet

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

either that, or

haveblue posted:

tTo activate Wifi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required.
moto/verizon execs are on drugs

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

The Evan posted:

cdma ipad was announced a month ago dude
seriously?

then I don't know what verizon's thinking

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

tl;dr: Galaxy Tab is a sluggish piece of poo poo even fresh out of the box.
samsung for some dumb reason didn't enable androids graphics acceleration, so that fancy nvidia gpu they keep blathering about is never used to actually draw the UI

if their handling of the gps problem[1] is any indication, they will spend a year denying that accelerated graphics are useful, another year fixing it, and then two years trying to charge carriers for the fix.

[1] samsung galaxies shipped with gps hardware but no software support; the recommended "resolution" is to enable nearby-wifi location

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Kirk posted:

yeah if there's one thing that annoys me about android above all else is that it's never, ever, ever a smooth experience, you will experience tons of hitches and annoying pauses no matter how many cores your phone has
it's not a matter of cores; lag and pauses when rendering the UI are primarily caused by a lack of accelerated graphics.

apple understands this, so all of their devices accelerate UI rendering. result: scrolling, paging, and animations are butter smooth

vendors trying to push out a cheap knockoff don't care about the user experience, so they don't bother writing proper graphics drivers. result: cpu is used for rendering, causing pauses and lag whenever it can't keep up

supposedly android 3.0 will require acceleration, but I'll believe it when I see it

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

qirex posted:

No it's caused by a lack of good OS graphics architecture.
android uses opengl es, the same as iphones; software written to use opengl, like most games, runs pretty much the same on both platforms

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

qirex posted:

so why are the iPhone and iPhone 3g [with no GPU] more responsive than 2011 Android handsets?
the ihpone and iphone 3g both have GPUs; if I remember correctly, it's a powervr mbx (about half as powerful as the 3gs's powervr sgx)

you have to be more specific than "2011 android handset". there's a lot out there, ranging from awful freebie phones with vendor-written UI, to a real phone like the nexus s.

the cheap ones have jerky UI because they don't have accelerated graphics and the vendor UI devs don't care about speed.

I know the nexus s UI is equivalent to an iphone 4 in terms of performance; supposedly the htc ones are also, though I haven't personally tested them

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Kirk posted:

its no secret how you fake a responsive UI on poo poo hardware, it's just that android devs are either stupid or lazy - pick the most likely one
this is how the standard android launcher works -- you can try out a nexus 1, nexus s, or one of the various "stock android" roms floating around

but vendors would rather suck a cock on live tv than ship stock apps, so they all rewrite the UI to be "special" and in the process make it annoyingly slow

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Android runs on a lovely virtual machine which has only recently gotten JIT compilation.
jit mostly affects throughput, so adding jit means processing-heavy applications will use less cpu time (== battery life). it doesn't affect latency much, assuming the application devs are even halfway competent (ie, not $3/hr from bangladesh)

the main benefit of adding jit to android is simple video games can be played longer between charges (real games are written in C)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Kirk posted:

lol

no

just no

its fast, sure, but there are constant little jittery annoyances and hitches that betray the fact that its a linux and will never be good
wipe the cheeto dust off your fingers and try again

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Lilac posted:

My human being friend tells me that this is all caused by the default internet browser, and downloading a new one will make the device fly and make ipad owners cry tears of envy

E: Maybe he said make the device dry, I wasn't listening
your friend is dumb, hth

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

johndis posted:

isnt the screen change lag actually just how it works on android? it like goes half way, pauses for a tiny bit, then snaps to the next screen

i mean i fully believe the galaxy tab is a pos but im just sayin i think thats actually a (not so great) design choice
It might be a samsung design choice; I noticed there was some lag when I first got my galaxy, but after removing their UI skin the lag vanished

I'm more willing to believe it's just samsung developer incompetence

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

johndis posted:

:stare:
no nexus s for at&t :smith:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

what is this posted:

after rooting my android tablet, compiling a new kernel from a nightly build posted on an internet forum, and loading a different skin, it seemed more responsive
did you install gentoo on it

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Lilac posted:

I like stuff that is terrible out of the box and continues to be terrible forever

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

its coming, but i dunno why youd want it, its a poo poo phone.
got to play with one a few weeks ago, I like the curved display and it not being controlled by samsung

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

I love buying a product that I have to deconstruct and install new software in order to make it work halfway decent.

Feh, you appletards are so dumb. Buying devices that work right out of the box and don't need to be rooted.
the problem is people expect something for nothing

you can buy an iphone-quality device for $200, or a cheap knockoff with bad drivers and weird UI for $50

stop acting so surprised that the aria you got for free for renewing your contract isn't as good as an iphone/nexus

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

Most Android tablets cost just as much if not more than the iPad.
most android tablets are just ipad knockoffs designed to capitalize on apple's marketing/hype; nobody is going to buy a xoom or a streak or a galaxytab or whatever

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

lolol yea the nexus is equivalent to an iphone

as long as you bought your nexus with a huge grudge and an inferiority complex that you talked yourself into through defining absurd use cases "what if i need to ssh on mah fone" to justify the inner sperg in yo... oh rite janin
have you ever used a nexus s? it's easily as good as an iphone 4, and much better than a 3g/3gs

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

For the sake of argument, let's not include poo poo you buy at a pharmacy or from CHINAEXPORTS on eBay.
there's no difference between the chinese knockoffs and the xoom/galaxytab, except some dumb execs at motorola/verizon/samsung thought people would pay an extra few hundred dollars premium to get hspa+

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Ryouga Inverse posted:

you know, as long as you don't care about things like "battery life"
I've not noticed a significant difference between iphone4 and galaxy s battery life; both are shorter than 2009 phone models, but that's to be expected when they do more.

probably the #1 thing the iphone still has over android phones is that it's made out of metal and glass, not cheap plastic.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

johndis posted:

so the galaxy is more money than an ipad, does pretty much what an ipad does (minus a shitload of good ios apps), and is made out of cheap plastic

where do i sign up

galaxy s is the phone; it's decent enough, equivalent to an iphone 4

galaxy tab is the tablet; it's awful

Don Lapre posted:

Every mainstream android phone at this point has a glass display, and plenty of them are made of metal.
compare an iphone4 with the iphone3g/nexus s and you'll see what I mean

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

johndis posted:

oh good god i thought you were saying you had the tab this whole time
hahahaha no I am spergy but not completely retarded

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

nook color is the only good android tablet right now and that's because it's decent and cheap
except it's locked down and can't install applications

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Nook color is easy as balls to root and get market on, and there is a aosp froyo build now thats being worked on and is usable. You write some files to a microSd card and turn the nook on with the card plugged in.

Glumwheels posted:

I love buying a product that I have to deconstruct and install new software in order to make it work halfway decent.

Feh, you appletards are so dumb. Buying devices that work right out of the box and don't need to be rooted.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Ryouga Inverse posted:

and in either case it doesnt compete with the ipad/galaxy tab because both of those devices actually work for the purpose you buy them for when you pull them out of the box
galaxy tab doesn't work for anything

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Ryouga Inverse posted:

i mean they arent even trying. its like all these companies read all the nerd blog responses to the ipad announcement/release and wrote down all the things that nerds complained that the ipad didnt have, then tried to add them to their own devices
toshiba's tablet actually, honest to god, has a big "our batteries are user-replaceable" section in its feature list

how many people do you know who are willing/able to replace the battery in an electronic device, but are too dumb to use a torx driver

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Ryouga Inverse posted:

well you see, we could have spent a lot of money trying to make our tablet's battery life come within striking distance of the ipad's

but instead we decided that we should just sell extra batteries that you can lug around and replace mid-movie
I think they're aiming it more at the "I only bought this thing 5 years ago and the battery doesn't take a charge any more, what do you mean I can't change it myself!?" croud

which, when you think about it, is an even sillier complaint

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Ryouga Inverse posted:

look it's still a killer feature even if you only use it like once the entire time you have the device!!
killer feature: not having to spend $5 on a torx driver to fix your $850 touchscreen tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

echinopsis posted:

but seroiusly
you guys charge your phone nightly?

edit::
not that i really care
just curious
i mean id tolerate that if i could have the coolness of an iphone
i have one of these http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/276218404/MTV_E71_Global_TV_mobile_phone.html
iphones and decent androids last about 3-4 days of light use; if you're playing games or watching movies it's more like half a day.

normally not a problem, since who's ever more than 4 days away from a power outlet / battery-backed charger?