Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Anal Volcano posted:

why are the only cel-shaded games coming out now indie fps's

action doom, warsow, and that

there on plenty on the Wii to compensate for the Wii's hardware limitations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
what I think is hysterical is the people who buy one of these bargain-basement tablets and they're like "well this is just as good," then after like a month they go and buy an ipad after all

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

johndis posted:

i think the whole point of this thread is that these arent really bargain basement, theyre more/equally expensive

so people will probably just buy an ipad

I was thinking about these less-than-100 dollar things you can buy where it takes like 30 seconds to pull up the settings menu but yes the other tablets in this thread are also terrible and no one will buy them

I remember I once convinced myself a Rio Karma would be better than an iPod... never again

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

johndis posted:

ohhh right, those...does anyone actually buy those? lol

my mom bought one, insisting it was just as good as an ipad... then like a week later got an ipad and gave it away

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
i googled Rio Karma for old times' sake and I found that people are actually modifying them with 128 GB solid state hard drives rather than upgrading to a new MP3 player :stare:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
In spite of the Apple quality bandwagon I'd just like to point out that these "superdrives" in Apple laptops are the biggest pieces of poo poo

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

In spite of the Apple quality bandwagon I'd just like to point out that these "superdrives" in Apple laptops are the biggest pieces of poo poo

a $2,000 laptop without a decent loving disk drive

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

graph posted:

i cant burn a dual layer dvd with disk utility or toast

disk utility fails after 15%, toast gets around 92-97%

if you try 3 or 4 times 1 or 2 of them will be good :allears:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

graph posted:

ive coastered five dl dvd-rs and coworker wont give me any more, theyre expensive or something

they're like a dollar each yes

i got a decent external hard drive for free thanks to apple abandoning firewire so I just use that if I intend to burn discs now

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Unexpected EOF posted:

Can't wait until optical media drives aren't standard in computers anymore.

That's gonna be a while

Blu-Ray is almost at a reasonable price point :hellyeah:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

are there plans to distribute anything on bluray other than movies and ps3 games

seriously what non-entertainment software package needs more than 9GB of install and couldn't be replaced with download on demand

I don't know but I think it would beat burning a bunch of files to a series 10 or 20 DVDs

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Hm yeah let me just pay full retail for the privilege of downloading this 20GB program

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Ryouga Inverse posted:

hm yeah let me just pay full retail for the privilege of getting some bits on a physical flimsy piece of plastic that must be either shipped to me through the mail or purchased from a physical store that I have to go to, and will never be used again once the bits are copied to my hard drive, instead of sending me the bits through the bit pipe i have connected to my computer

yeah can't beat the convenience of using your own bandwidth to download huge files. what a lifesaver

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
just go ahead and leave your computer on all night to download this software you actually legitimately paid for

whoops connection timed out you're gonna have to start the download over again

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
so you're saying digital distribution greatly lessens the costs for software producers but you want to pay exactly the same price anyway

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

so you're saying digital distribution greatly lessens the costs for software producers but you want to pay exactly the same price anyway

but it's only two cents of cardboard and plastic *pretends these raw materials are the main costs of traditional software distribution*

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
blockbuster's big plan to get out of dire financial straits? a netflix ripoff

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
if you don't usually write in cursive and aren't a child you should be embarrassed

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

johndis posted:

lmao seriously my favorite thing is professors who scrawled all over your paper and then were like "if you cant read my hadnwriting, come up to me after class and i'll tell you what it says" wow thanks for wasting both our time!

I'll bet like 1 in 10 students ever bothered reading what he wrote anyway

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Unexpected EOF posted:

But why would you WANT to use GPS or the onboard camera?

oh my god I am getting flashbacks to when I was actually using Linux as a desktop OS

"well hardware acceleration or the tv-out feature on your video card... take your pick, only one can be enabled at a time. want to listen to some music? spend like 3 hours searching for the asound.rc for your motherboard" fff

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

oh my god I am getting flashbacks to when I was actually using Linux as a desktop OS

"well hardware acceleration or the tv-out feature on your video card... take your pick, only one can be enabled at a time. want to listen to some music? spend like 3 hours searching for the asound.rc for your motherboard" fff

well gee performance is great as long as you don't use a desktop manager

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Janin posted:

cell providers: lets preload Avatar on new phones; nerds love avatar

I wish I were making that up. T-Mobile actually ships their Vibrants with a FULL HD copy of Avatar. Just in case, what, I was stranded in the middle of the desert and wanted to watch two catpeople hairfuck?

But 3MB of fonts, oh no, can't have that.

What is the demand for portable movies? My PSP came with a Spider-Man DVD but I just can't understand who is traveling for 2 hours or more at a time often enough to justify paying for a small-screen movie experience.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Janin posted:

What on earth? Hardware-specific audio configs haven't been used for at least 10 years, which is way before graphics card manufacturers started writing Linux drivers.

I think the default options didn't work with S/PDIF output.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Janin posted:

Yes; it seems your main objection to buying a real phone is 1) more expensive than the cheap ones and 2) you need an internet connection to order it. Considering how we're communicating, #2 is obviously not a problem.

just buy this $500 phone sight unseen, it's better than the other ones, I promise

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Janin posted:

As opposed to all the other Android/Blackberry/WebOS phones, which are available for public demo at...?

Anytime I walk into a cell phone store those are on display and also available for sale. Don't get this post.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
i would not buy any tablet :hehe:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Best Buy is as good as any brick and mortar store selling similar products really.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

qirex posted:

That's because Best Buy put all the rest of them out of business.

not too sad to see circuit city or service merchandise go tbh

pc richard and sons is still around

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

what is this posted:

fry's is better.

i always thought those were only in canada or something. i've never seen one

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

wolffenstein posted:

Look at this non-Californian scrub.

heh, sorry about your failing state bro

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
i have never read dune :hehe:

Anyway how is Amazon anything like a used book store? In a used book store you are allowed to see the whole book and read as much as you want before you buy it. Used book stores own

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Atasi posted:

It's that or having to search through an endless marketplace of lovely fan fiction where it's impossible to find anything that doesn't involve making GBS threads dick nipples.

vvv No revenue stream due to digital copying=no publishers=no curation=free for all. vvv

Why not just have some sort of independent curator who will work to sift through it all rather than just publishers. people would use a service like that

or else reviews or whatever else. it's not like no one is publishing poo poo now, or like most buyers would like to read most books.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Atasi posted:

I'm annoyed that real content is getting drowned in the sea of auto tuned Youtube singers/fan-fiction writers and no one seems interested in having some sort of gate keeper to separate the chaff from the wheat.

No, Amazon is trying to devalue content with abusive pricing that makes them the only party to make money in a transaction

yes, there was literally no awful bubble gum pop before the mid-90s.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I had the ipad sold it to get this beast of a machine.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
is the ipod classic now the only mp3 player with like 160 gb capacity or whatever? i mean no real reason to replace mine just wondering

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Wood Warder posted:

I think so. I keep hearing that the best selling mp3 players usually only have 16gb to 32gb of storage in them so it probably wasn't worth the production cost.

drat, that blows

but then again the service on ipods is so good why would you buy anything else. "hm... seems to have broken. no proof of purchase whatsoever? ok i will just exchange this with a brand new one for you"

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Samsung's stuff is the most bizarre because they don't even have a pretense of offering anything Apple doesn't. The design is just a knockoff.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Eegah posted:

tbh i see more kindles than ipads here in sac

yeah but despite apple's best wishes an ipad is not a substitute for the kindle and also the kindle isn't really a tablet

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Eegah posted:

i use my ipad as a substitute for a kindle :confused:

how is it any better than a computer screen without the e-ink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's like you guys have never created fraudulent accounts before

mailinator