Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

what is this posted:

Next we'll do the dell streak 7

I'll just link to the engadget review because not much more needs to be said

Cheap Screen:

(old) Phone OS without rewrites for tablet usage:

This tablet has a dual core Tegra. It's almost overpowered for what it does right now, yet...

"pretty decent" flash performance, because "some" of the videos would play within a few seconds. Not instantly, and only some. Flash is a joke.

But wait, there's more!

Three hour battery life with reduced brightness.

Battery Life
Dell Streak 7         3:26
Archos 70             6:00
Archos 101            7:20
Samsung Galaxy Tab    6:09
Apple iPad            9:33

That's right you dumb motherfuckers this abortion of a tablet/phone/hybrid costs only $50 less than an iPad. Why would you buy this, ever?

$180 less than ipad+3g.

Id buy a galaxy tab if it were $200-$250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Janin posted:

I want to know what the thought process is behind ipad knockoffs

because right now it seems like "hmm if we make a lovely device that superficially resembles an ipad, but $100 less, maybe we can trick people into buying it"

tried out a Samsung tablet at fry's the other day, it was running some lovely two-year-old version of android with a bunch of "value-added" skins. it looked like they'd just grabbed a chinese knockoff case, shoved their shitware onto it, and shipped

Galaxy tab runs 2.2. Two year old version of android would be 1.1.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

what is this posted:

There's really no compelling narrative behind these android tablets at all. The iPad is thinner than many of them, has a bigger and/or better screen, gets better battery life, has apps and a UI designed for the tablet form factor, and doesn't cost more.

The android tablets are... smaller? Play flash videos poorly? More "open?" Nobody really cares about that stuff.

And then to top it off Apple's going to announce the iPad 2 in a month or so, which is going to leapfrog all the not-even-released yet android 3.0 tablets that are waiting in the wings.

I dont really know what the ipad 2 is going to have that will be a huge change from the og ipad. What could they add to it? A front facing camera like everything else has?

The ipad is nice and all but it needs to weight less and do something better with the UI, a page of icons is just wasted space on ten inches.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

no nexus s for at&t :smith:

its coming, but i dunno why youd want it, its a poo poo phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

Most Android tablets cost just as much if not more than the iPad.

most android tablets cost between $50 and $200

not that they are any good

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

For the sake of argument, let's not include poo poo you buy at a pharmacy or from CHINAEXPORTS on eBay.

But it helps my price argument

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

I've not noticed a significant difference between iphone4 and galaxy s battery life; both are shorter than 2009 phone models, but that's to be expected when they do more.

probably the #1 thing the iphone still has over android phones is that it's made out of metal and glass, not cheap plastic.

Every mainstream android phone at this point has a glass display, and plenty of them are made of metal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

galaxy s is the phone; it's decent enough, equivalent to an iphone 4

galaxy tab is the tablet; it's awful

compare an iphone4 with the iphone3g/nexus s and you'll see what I mean

Yes, there are android phones that exist that are plastic. But there are also ones that are glass and metal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

nearly all galaxy s phones feel like a cheap plastic toy except the captivate

nook color is the only good android tablet right now and that's because it's decent and cheap

Nook color is really a lovely android tablet, mostly because it only has one hard button. Once honeycomb is aosp which uses a software back button things will be better as long as it runs fast enough.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

except it's locked down and can't install applications

Nook color is easy as balls to root and get market on, and there is a aosp froyo build now thats being worked on and is usable. You write some files to a microSd card and turn the nook on with the card plugged in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The nook isn't sold as a tablet. It works fine out of the box as an e-reader.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ryouga Inverse posted:

yes but you were presenting it as a "tablet" in the same class as an ipad or galaxy tab

it isnt a "good tablet" if you have to do severe nerd fuckery to it to get it to even have close to the same features, let alone how the thing compares on actual usability once you've completed this arcane procedure

I never said it was a good tablet, i said it was a lovely tablet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ryouga Inverse posted:

like you cant have it both ways. either it's a tablet that doesnt work as a tablet out of the box but you can hack it so it sort of passes as one, or it's an ereader that works as an ereader out of the box and not a tablet

and in either case it doesnt compete with the ipad/galaxy tab because both of those devices actually work for the purpose you buy them for when you pull them out of the box

Its sold as an e-reader that can be used as a tablet with fuckery, which right now it does really shittilly. I never claimed it competes with galaxy tab or ipad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirk posted:

i dont want steve jobs to die because he's the only guy that's a big enough piece of poo poo so as to make a large corporation bend to his petulant whims, whims that i happen to agree with

After steve dies, apple will hire the CEO of coke and bring back the performa line and caddy cd's.

And will do infomercials again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khc3XLkbxMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tkDy3Xof8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5hRLVwK7aE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe0IVtT3VQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXv8Ysf9WCs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Android 2.3.3 announced

Still only one device with 2.3

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just downloaded the default nokia ringtone

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

haveblue posted:

Your SMS should be his radio sound.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

his rear end

dumbphones are still outselling smartphones like 10:1 ; of smartphones, android has a slim lead in sales, but 1) a lot of those sales are awful "bargain" junk and 2) only because iphones have mostly saturated the market of people willing to pay $500 for a touchscreen

oh, and blackberry still has like 95% marketshare in businesses

45% of phones sold in November were smartphones in the US. 19.3% of phones sold worldwide were smartphones in 2010.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

ok so 8:2

1 out of 4 is 25%. 19.3% is closer to 1 out of 5.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

id consider $600 for a xoom

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaggar posted:

i would not pay 600 us dollars for a linux.

would you pay that much for a unix system

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirk posted:

so the wi-fi only ipad is $500, and the next gen will probably have the same price if not lower with specs close to the xoom most likely

gj motorola

32gb wifi ipad is $600

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirk posted:

does the xoom actually drop anytime soon or is it one of those COMING THIS SUMMER deals like HP

comes out next thursday

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FMguru posted:

Less specs

its got a 1ghz dual core cpu and 4x the ram of the ipad

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

my mom bought one, insisting it was just as good as an ipad... then like a week later got an ipad and gave it away

why did she give away her ipad

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Posting from nook color running honeycomb

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fishmech posted:

my samsugalatab has flash, guess flash can't handle barometers yet???

Tegra 2 devices use a different flash app than other cpu's. I think it does work in Froyo though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Google maps has basically replaced my gps now, literally no reason to use my in dash unit anymore.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Metrication posted:

is google maps supposed to be in impressive when every device in the whole world has google maps
i cannot work it out

I cannot work out your poor english.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Janin posted:

If I am only going to use wifi on it, why should I have to pay money to some random third party just because there's an extra antenna inside?

Just buy the wifi version, dont see the problem

-sjobs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

yes it will be the ipad 2 lmbo

ipad 2 is also going to have delayed flash at launch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ipad users sure do seem threatened/mad about xoom

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirk posted:

who

where

they cant stop talking about it

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirk posted:

i guess by that metric everyone with a good phone is scared of wp7 too

They will be once it has ie9 and can run that fish demo

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ryouga Inverse posted:

help the xoom is so threatening with its flash support* and great features**

*flash support not coming until next year sometime we guess
**some features not unlocked unless you pay for a month of an unrelated service

Flash is supposed to be out in a couple of weeks for it.

The data requirement is retarded though.

Flash on android honestly works fine. I dont see why people have such a problem with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ryouga Inverse posted:

yeah flash on android works fine*

*if the site you are using has "optimized" their flash for mobile and you don't mind draining your battery in an hour

Why would you sit on one website for an hour? Even regular flash videos tend to work well enough, its not like im watching blockbuster movies on here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fishmech posted:

yeah best buy put out a wrong thing. you don't need to activate it to have wifi

It still says on their website that a month of data is required for wifi to work

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ryouga Inverse posted:

flash on android: works fine, as long as you never actually use it

No, it really works fine. I just dont loop the same videos over and over again. If there is a flash video on a website its probably a few minutes long.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yes, streaming flash takes more battery power than playing local videos. But atleast its got the capability, You dont have to use it if you hate flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaggar posted:

does flash do hardware decoding on non-windows oses yet?

Yea