Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
honeycomb gonna own own own, looks like crApple's time is up... apple FTL!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

haveblue posted:

/

lol drat

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
ahahahah

ahahahahahah

literally the funniest news to wake up to today

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yeah if there's one thing that annoys me about android above all else is that it's never, ever, ever a smooth experience, you will experience tons of hitches and annoying pauses no matter how many cores your phone has

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

qirex posted:

[with no GPU]

not true, but janin is also wrong about NEEDING gpu acceleration for a smooth ui. its really how you structure it.

so check it - android is slow as poo poo and awful in every regard, BUT there was one custom launcher I used that actually felt speedy when scrolling through home screens. it did this by rendering out all your home screens as images, then just scrolling those images. it felt apple smooth, and there's a good reason for that:

that's how apple does it!

poo poo is rendered out as images, and scrolling images is super easy to do. webpages are treated the same way - render that poo poo out to an image (well, its more like a pdf) and you can scale, zoom, twist and turn pretty easily. launch an app and the response is instant - because it's juts throwing up a PNG to display as the app actually loads.

its no secret how you fake a responsive UI on poo poo hardware, it's just that android devs are either stupid or lazy - pick the most likely one

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
plus it's a little bit of os x vs windows on the desktop. os x runs on a known platform and can cater to the advantages and disadvantages of it, much like iOS. android and windows have to run on a wide variety of lovely configurations so instead of doing per-device optimizations they have to hit that lowest common denominator that has no ram and a 300mhz ROCKCHIP piece of poo poo

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i'm gay as hell ! ! !

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Janin posted:

I know the nexus s UI is equivalent to an iphone 4 in terms of performance;

lol

no

just no

its fast, sure, but there are constant little jittery annoyances and hitches that betray the fact that its a linux and will never be good

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
let me just load my tex-

*decades pass*

-ts

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i dont want steve jobs to die because he's the only guy that's a big enough piece of poo poo so as to make a large corporation bend to his petulant whims, whims that i happen to agree with

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
ives is just an empty shell for the spirit of jobs to fill when his initial mortal shell finally crumbles

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

karoshi posted:

CES '11 best of show: motorola's KOOM
Only $800?? I'll a KOOM tablet!

what just happened here, did anyone else see this

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Android 2.3.3 announced

Still only one device with 2.3

uh exCUSE me i have been running 2.3 on my Hokari E6422 Android Smartphone (w/ Dual SIM) for ages thanks to the efforts of the Cyanogenmod community and it owns. iphone? no thanks, i'm living in the future.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
my ringtone is a baby crying and i often let it go to vm

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

A MILLION TIMES FOREVER

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i wish id gotten into marketing it must be so fuckin easy to get a job

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
YANKEE GET OUT

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

quote:

look at Super amoled plus
double the sharpness of IPS LCD
120 times the contrast ratio
18% better power efficiency
and way faster response time from 2.5ms to 0.01ms
resolution does not mater as much as actual capabilities of the screen

lol aight

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

graph posted:

:allears:

or i just want a phone that isn't a slow, jittery piece of poo poo with no apps

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
sure my wifi doesn't work in this build, but my battery life has really jumped

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
heh HTC said that this phone couldn't support Froyo because there wasn't enough space... well thanks to Cyanogen I can partially sideload the OS from the SD card, bypassing ROM size limitations! yeah, EAT IT HTC!!!

*removes sd card, phone bricks*

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
so the wi-fi only ipad is $500, and the next gen will probably have the same price if not lower with specs close to the xoom most likely

gj motorola

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

32gb wifi ipad is $600

ipad 2 is prob gonna start at 32gb imo

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
does the xoom actually drop anytime soon or is it one of those COMING THIS SUMMER deals like HP

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
o well maybe ill go to best buy, play with one for a bit and then go home & play angry birds on a real tablet :smug:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I rather buy this Xoom than the ipad or ipad 2. this blows away ipad or ipad 2 anytime. Now i know why ipad 2 is coming out as apple idiots finally realize the ipad was just useless to use and hardly anything to connect to it. Has who cares of apps some of them are just useless has well. I seen the xoom in action and have to say it twice has advance than the ipad or ipad 2.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i know the Xoom will blow away the ipad 2 because i was at CES and saw the many advance features and since it runs very fast and yes i can watch live streaming videos on the web due to great Flash capabilities which ipad and ipad 2 will not have.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yes apple troll i have seen the ipad 2 features already and nope it just a copycat from apple. Xoom still has more better features than coming ipad 2. So yes Xoom is the top list to buy than ipad 2 besides ipad 2 will not arrive until May why wait when Xoom will be out sooner and have all great advance features.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

quote:

as it will be featuring a 10.1-inch screen, two cameras ( with 720p HD video support ), the powerful Tegra 2 dual core processor with 1 GHz speed ( for a total of 2 GHz )

lol wtf

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

3g is; wi-fi god knows when

lolllllllll

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Lilac posted:

Sent from my friend of the family teabreak

i literally lolled at this

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

johndis posted:

ok cool i was just checking cause sometimes you never know exactly how fucks will manifest themselves

thats true but they seem to have a higher propensity in the area of your mouth

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

quote:

My first posts were written in Open Office and transferred as a set of 11 posts covering the convergeable technologies, device categories, physical constra

hmm there's a joke here but nope i cant quite make it out.

tarm, why dont you take a crack at it

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

ipad users sure do seem threatened/mad about xoom

who

where

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i guess by that metric everyone with a good phone is scared of wp7 too

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
when the xoom was announced everyone in yospos hopped onto irc and decided that it couldn't be done, they must have taken some shortcuts somewhere

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
whoa wait the wifi thing was true?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
lol ahahha

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
so the version 90% of people want isnt coming out til way later

gg motorola

gg

Adbot