Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

wife: god i just want it black

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
this is a good sign for the playbook launch right?

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. said Friday its chief marketing officer has decided to leave the company—just weeks ahead of one of its most significant product rollouts in years.
RIM, based in Waterloo, Ontario, said Keith Pardy is leaving for "personal reasons," but is continuing to help the company over a six-month transition period. Mr. Pardy wasn't available to comment.
RIM didn't say whether the company had hired a successor. Mr. Pardy told the company a month ago about his plans to depart, according to a person familiar with the situation.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
also 'cable is slow and you dont actually get the advertised speed' is a thing of the past with docsis 3 rollout, pulling data from multiple channels pretty much guarantees your speed will be constant and stable

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"buy our xoom, we have flash on this and the ipad doesnt"

*hq flash video runs at 2fps with shitload of pauses while regular youtube stutters along*
*plays a game with huge input lag*

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/12/adobe-flash-player-leaks-for-motorola-xoom-we-go-hands-on-vide/

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HelterSkeletor posted:

a lot of great things can be said about the iphone. long battery life is not one.

good thing we are talking about tablets and not the phone then

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
guess they really dont want a cheaper 8gb/16gb version so people can put the sd slot to good use

which kinda defeats the whole point of having a sd card slot and use it with your own cheap (terrible and slow) sd cards to expand the capacity

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
wanna see that flash-enabled battery life

also it's almost been a full year since this

"In addition, Flash has not performed well on mobile devices. We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it. Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010. We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

this isn't "full experience", it's "either the controls are way too big on a 10" tablet or way too small on a 7" one"

sounds like the 8.9 will be just fine then :smug:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

vanjalolz posted:

You're right, the screen quality is impeccable but it doesn't have the same sharpness that the retina display does.

i'd buy the poo poo out of a 10" 2048x1536 tablet, but i doubt it's even feasible yet

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ahhh spiders posted:

i dont even understand how it's possible to have safe ground beef just because of how bacteria nom beef
iirc costco ground their own beef on the same day

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

raruler posted:

I also just uploaded this video of my Xoom browser acting all crazzzzy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtjgC-9UXE
:pcgaming:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

There Will Be Penalty posted:

i don't pirate. really.

i've written a few mods (we homebrewers call them patches), actually.
bitesms, lockinfo and sbsettings are pretty useful too

and how else are you going to get new sms tones

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
the laughs must go on
    The Nvidia corporation will drop Android support for its devices running on the Harmony platform, according to a post on its official developer forums by Andrew Edelsten, Tegra Developer Relations. This means that devices using the Harmony platform at their core -- the Viewsonic gTablet and ViewPad7, Advent Vega, Toshiba Folio 100, and Notion Ink Adam -- will not have drivers built for video acceleration for any current or future releases of Android.

This is not good news. None of these Tegra 2-based devices is even a year old, and they are essentially dead in the water. Even if someone were to build a higher version of Android for them, with no hardware support it's going to be a horrible experience. Don't believe me? Try an SDK port of Honeycomb on, well, on anything.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

Google wants to enforce minimum hardware requirements for Honeycomb and the only way they can do that is ~not releasing the source~
bbut... but my superior android openness :qq:

drat you google this is a slippery slope to take
next thing you are going to tell me i can't cram icecream down my cheap chinese hardware

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Unexpected EOF posted:

Well the Playbook has a magnetometer and proximity sensor.

both of this are in iphone 4 though, the magnetometer is just a digital compass for gps/map apps and the proximity sensor is for sensing when you have the phone up next to your ear

maybe it will whisper comforting words to the user when they use the playbook to cover their face in shame

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
the clock on android just seems kinda wonky, yesterday i was looking at my friend using his android device, when he unlocked the phone and the clock screen popped up, the time 'jumped' from one time to another

apparently the big clock on the desktop is a widget, and to save power, it doesn't get updated till you are looking at the screen and forcing the clock to update its time

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

lemme guess: samsung

nah it's the htc incredible with a battery that will go flat after 2~3 hours of use, he got it for cheap in a family deal, kept everything stock and doesn't sperg over the device besides the battery complaint, so w/e i guess

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

after hours laugh report
can't wait for the lte upgrade that will most likely eat the battery alive, enabling flash on the device too and your battery life will probably end up in the chinese craplets' territory

it makes more sense now why they didn't bother enabling all that stuff when they first shipped

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

what is this posted:

google: has used remote kill many times

what did you expect from a looser controlled app store? :xd:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
another big factor is that the manufacture can use a smaller lcd since most bezels have a standard size, leaving the craplets with even less viewable area

here's what the iphone 4 will look like with ipad-sized bezel

edit: looks like the forum's attachment server takes a while to optimize and display the attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I posted with the attachment first and nothing showed up, tried refreshing the page and even loaded the page in a different browser and it was still blank so I just gently caress it and added the imgur inline

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

wtf are you saying?

You really wouldn't want a thin bezel on a tablet cause you gotta hold it somehow.

yeah i am saying since the bezel thickness will be about the same for comfortable holding, the 10" will have a better viewable area to bezel ratio than the 7" even though they are only 3 inches apart

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
*quad-sli the tablets with dock connectors*

"gently caress yea oct-core cpu with four gpus, now i can get headache in one quarter of the time and eight times as strong :twisted: "

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
it doesn't have andoird

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lmao

non-existing 3g/lte on the xoom
"blame verizon it's not motorola's fault"

xoom's broken sd-slot
"google need to get their poo poo together"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atasi posted:

Some really good stuff by Nilay Patel about how Google is responsible for just about all of the shittiness that is Android. I wouldn't have thought it but Samsung isn't responsible, for the most part, for not getting updates out or for the GPS troubles they've had. Here's some choice sections, but it's worth investing the time to read it all.
lmao

"my wifi location database :qq:"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Guy LeDouche posted:

IYG.txt

this too, regarding the skyhook google thing

It's certainly interesting to see how ad-hoc the Android certification process is, and how it's evolving as manufacturers do increasingly-strange things with their Android builds.

Personally I don't think Google was acting heavy handed in the matter. The crux of the problem is that Skyhook was masquerading their location information as being acquired from GPS satellites. Which Skyhook argues is technically true, since that's probably how the location database was originally populated. But it's not up-to-date location information acquired by the phones' own GPS receiver.

Here's the problem: Android platform sources are easy to work with. It would've been trivial for Skyhook to add themselves as a third location provider on the OEM ROMs used by these devices. But they didn't, instead they cheated by claiming to be the GPS location provider. Why? Possibly for additional application compatibility. Or perhaps their selling point was that they could provide fast, accurate "GPS locks" indoors where, e.g., Samsung's poo poo-heap GPS code couldn't.

Either way, Skyhook deserved to get slapped by Google for doing that, and hopefully the lawsuit is resolved in Google's favor on the basis of Skyhook's technical douchebaggery.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Google's main strategic concern appears to be that Skyhook was using "flimsy" reasoning to convince OEMs to partner with them, and that such partnerships would limit Google's ability to collect location data, which would result in an inferior wifi location database, and thus force Google to pay Skyhook's ransom for access to their database.

guys another company might hold us ransom so we better strong arm them out of the competition and yes we are still very open about things

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

just would like to remind every tablet maker that a jailbroken ipad is the most supreme tablet innovation known to man
pretty much this, and it applies to their phone too
customize it like you are the king sperglord and still usable without having to do all the extra poo poo

too bad someone people still wont buy it because 'it's crapple'

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Nook takes 4:15 to boot into CM7. Booting into B&N Froyo and Honeycomb only takes like 20 or 30 seconds. Could be because I have tons of apps on CM7, but I don't see why that would affect total boot time.

Remember the annoying touchscreen issues, the misaligned button presses, and the lack of sensitivity around the border of the screen?

All fixed. Check out the CM7 2.6.32 Beta 3.1 thread

It's a bit of a chore to get everything going, since you need a new kernel, a new u-boot image, and you can't update from a previous CM7 nightly or anything. However, I haven't noticed any major problems so far.

Also, they fixed the issue where the device didn't actually go into deep sleep. It shouldn't drain your battery when just lying around anymore.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
on the ipad/ipad2, even if it says 'not charging' it will still trickle charge after you turn of the screen/let it go to sleep

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
add this to iyg.txt

Question: Is it possible to switch to AT&T and have the cost of the new phone get added to my monthly bill, spread out over a couple months? Or do you need the cash up front?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

That's illegal if you don't own the games. Roms are supposed to come feom YOUR games

would it be illegal if you actually own the game but just can't be bothered to dump the rom? much like owning a cd and then go ahead and download it anyway

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

the se535s, grado 325is and senn hd800s and the e7
:allears:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
you can't be a pirate on the android platform because android was supposed to be free and open in the first place

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
what's with girls sitting around guys using android tablets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRcx1rxTLG8

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Guy LeDouche posted:

(ps - we'll keep doing this every 4-6 months, but you dumb spergs will keep buying them cuz lol 'are freedoms')
yeah well crapple isn't going to install ios 5 on the 3g or ipod touch 2g too and they are nerfing the 3gs in ios5

*ignores the fact they are both running on hardwares from 2007*
*thinks not adding new features is nerfing*

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
another one bites the dust

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3419752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I remember running the original Need for Speed and thinking it was okay; then I got a shiny new 3dfx Voodoo back in the day (yeah, almost before Vivek was born…) and it came with a copy of Need for Speed 2: Special Edition. My college roommates and I had a blast racing against each other, and at the time I thought the graphics looked amazing. Need for Speed 3 and my Voodoo 2 graphics card upped the ante quite a bit. Why do I mention those old games? Because to my eye, I think those actually look better than Need for Speed Shift on the A500—certainly by the time we hit NFS5 (Porsche Unleashed), the games looked better in 2000 than NFSS does on Tegra 2. Ouch. Frame rates also feel a bit sluggish on the A500, even with the distinct lack of visual fidelity.

The three included games may not be the best example of what tablet gaming has to offer, however, so we decided to go looking for other options. Dungeon Defenders has a free offering that we tried; it’s part action RPG and part tower defense, but neither part impressed. The way the controls and camera kept swinging around almost made me nauseous, and I’m not one to usually get queasy even from the worst 3D titles (i.e. Descent). Actually, part of the feeling almost certainly game from the frustration of my on-screen character not doing what I wanted. So we’re now 0 for 4 on the gaming experience.