Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Web Jew.0 posted:

What 's the nicest non-touchscreen phone anyway? Blackberry Bold or a Nokia? Lmao no wonder he types so much on his phone there 's nothing else for him to do.
not to mention the maximum number of characters you can text is 160
with 150wpm, that's typing out a full message in less than 13 seconds

you probably wont have any friends by that point anyway so you may as well kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
ah yes so we just need a phone/tablet with a keyboard big enough that you can type with all 10 fingers

it's the same logic of excessiveness behind cramming sd slot, usb, hdmi, ethernet into a single device

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
amazon's appstore ramping up the laughs

Very slow review process

We submitted Apparatus. After 2 weeks of waiting we finally heard back from them and Apparatus had been declined. The reason stated was we used HTTP instead of HTTPS for a session cookie in the community section - much like pretty much any website does not use HTTPS. So we added literally 1 character (an 's') to the code and resubmitted. This also meant our tired server would from this point and on have to struggle with SSL-encrypted binary data for every single level that was downloaded or published by a user.

After another week Apparatus was finally approved. After a couple of days the app was live in the store - but where? We couldn't find Apparatus anywhere, it was completely hidden. They have no "Just In"-section like Android Market. The "New releases" section was identical to the "Top rated" section.

Device filter fail

Apparatus was downloaded 180,000 times during the Free App of the Day campaign, an impressive number. Well, did you ever notice that almost all past apps in this campaign have very low average ratings?

It turned out Amazon fails to filter out devices that should not be supported according to the Manifest file. We explicity filter out small screen devices because the game is terrible to play on a very small screen. We also filter out low-density devices because the game looks terrible on them. Also all GLES 1.0-only devices are filtered out.

Quoting one review (1/5 stars):

"This app wouldnt even open on my motorola comet went straight to a force close so i cant even try it."

What? So I researched this device, he must be referring to the T-Mobile Comet, part of the Motorola U8* "series". There are several of these, U8110, U8150, U8100, etc. I think the Comet is the U8100. Well, it doesn't matter, because ALL of them are unsupported by Apparatus. Android Market filter these out properly, they are clearly listed under the "Unsupported devices due to your manifest settings". But Amazon gladly provides Apparatus to these devices.

Where are my customers?

Even though 180,000 people downloaded Apparatus on Amazon Appstore, I have only heard from 3 of them, and 2 of them contacted me through Twitter. This leads me to think that it must be very hard for the Amazon Appstore customers to contact the developer of an app

Amazon Appstore is a disaster

The fact that players were unable to contact me wasn't enough, I couldn't reply to their comments on Amazon Appstore either. When attempting to reply to a comment, the system replied with "You must purchase products before you can post comments.". Amazon Appstore is only available to US customers and I'm based in Sweden.

What's with the price?

A short time after the above review arrived, Amazon changed the price of Apparatus to $0.99. We never discussed this change. I have no idea why they sell it at $0.99. The game is already selling at 50% off because it is in "public beta". So Amazon now decided to sell it at 25%.

When they changed the price of Apparatus, did they ignore the "Most Helpful" review? In any case, this change just made things worse, from a psychological perspective. A $0.99 app which users claim do suspicious activities such as tracking you and contacting "ad servers"? Excellent move, Amazon. I'm eternally thankful for you helping me establish a small indie game business here.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

That's the thing though, 99% of what I would use my laptop for I can do on my iPad. I want less clutter in my life, not more.

yeah, but can you type 150wpm on your ipad? i think not :smug:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Barack Pwnbama posted:

basically its awesome because it feels like "part of the phone" whereas on iphone its "this app i downloaded"
Navigate From Maps can help

also navigon is better than tons of other standalone gps i've seen

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I am completely convinced that at this point you could take a random schlub off the street, put them in charge of RIM, and somehow manage to see a positive turn in the company within three quarters.
♩ ♪ ♫ ~upbeat 80's music plays in the background of a 'turning around' montage~ ♪ ♫ ♬

*companies did not turn around, get bought out by microsoft*

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Plus the iPad demo always works.
not if loving att has anything to do with it

it was stuck at that screen and non of the buttons were responsive

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

quoting a loving idiot who has never seen an iOS device before
eh i have no problem with the smooth performance of ios devices

guessing that att store was using some poo poo usb charger that doesn't supply enough power to allow charging during use, so it drained down all the way and stuck in the charge mode
but as soon as someone tries to turn it on then it draws enough power to stop the thing from charging again (the no charging logo you usually see) and then falls back to that screen again

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

what is this posted:

none of the buttons were responsive, huh

yeah you probably banged away at that ipad for hours, trying all of those buttons

was it hard to find all the buttons
Note: Some USB 2.0 ports and accessories do not provide enough power to charge iPad. When this occurs the message "Not Charging" appears in the status bar next to the battery icon.

Additional Information
If iPad is very low on power, it may display one of the following images indicating that the device needs to charge for up to ten minutes before you can use it. If the device is extremely low on power, the display may be blank for up to two minutes before one of the low-battery images appears. If you don't see the white charging or plug icons, try connecting to the 10W power adapter.

so what do you think the customers will think when they pickup the ipad and dies after less than a minute of use because it wont charge anytime the screen is on due to the fact att is too incompetent to use a 10W charger?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

wolffenstein posted:

Retail stores almost never hook up display models to a computer. Display models' chargers are usually connected to a power strip. The iPad's charger probably wasn't connected to the power strip, so that's why the battery went dead.

Occam's Razor, bitch.

yeah that's why i said "ipad demo always works" doesnt work in att stores because well, they are att

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

what is this posted:

how many buttons did you press
what's with the hostility? do you really care about someone saying 'i pressed the home button and the lock/sleep button on this tablet' instead of just 'all the buttons on this ipad'

or are you trying to defend att because some beaten wife syndrome and you are stuck with them

and shockingly the ipad2 next to the stuck-in-charge ipad1 was working perfectly fine

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BonzoESC posted:

Reminder than Janin thinks 3G is slower than 56k and that Windows in any way counts as a "good OS."

what the gently caress :pwn:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

raruler posted:

She's in love with a dual-core tegra tablet she met in a Verizon store.

Metrication posted:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

What's more, Walkley also said that Apple had positively nailed the pricing of its tablets compared to the competition, meaning that rival tablet makers would have to start aggressively slashing their prices in order to at all keep up with the iPad.
yeah i remember someone mentioning this in the non-ipad iyg thread and spergs just ignored it, somehow not selling it at all is better than selling it at a lower price point

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Janin posted:

isn't that the one which can download at 20 Mb/s, but has a hard data cap of like 250 Mb per month?
someone in iyg was saying they need to charge it 3 times to make it through the whole day with 4g enabled, but it's still a great phone

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I'm still confused as to why anyone would think that bringing a tablet to a party is socially acceptable. Bring booze, weed (depending on your friends), maybe a date, and maybe your phone. Anything else is stupid.
it's a LAN party :xd:

actually that'd explain it all

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
and both of them are aces in the laugh factory

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

why would you buy a 3g ipad

use as an international wifi hotspot/tethering when you go oversea (this was somewhat true before unlocked iphone came out in the US)

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Janin posted:

"The other day I bought the newest, fanciest flagship Android phone [...] a Samsung Charge"

what

I had to google what this thing is. Turns out it's a budget ($99 on Amazon) variant of the original Galaxy S (release date: March 2010), runs Android 2.2, and tops out at roughly four hours of battery life.

They're either lying to you, or simply not paying attention; hth.
that sounds about right

Samsung:
i7500 (Galaxy) · Moment (SPH-M900) · i5700 (Spica) · i5500 (Galaxy 5) · i5510 (Galaxy 551) · i5800 (Galaxy 3) · Galaxy S · Intercept · Google Nexus S · Galaxy Ace · Galaxy Gio · Galaxy Fit · Galaxy Mini · Galaxy S 4G · Galaxy S II · Galaxy S II Mini · Galaxy Pro · DROID Charge

"wow man you got a galaxy s?"
"nah i got the galaxy ACE"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Janin posted:

buy a nexus s
yeah good luck with that

if you go to google's official nexus page, then follow their 'buy' link directly to amazon, you might still end up with a phone that doesn't have working 3g

quote:

As you can se here, it CLEARLY states I9023 whereas the Amazon listing states I9020A. BIG difference, as the only model that works on AT&T 3G is the I9020A, which is what's advertised on Amazon. It's a craps shoot as to which model you will receive (I9020T, I9020A, I9023). What a mess.

the best part

quote:

I bought it especially for its Super AMOLED screen.
But you should know that before buying:
There is actually 2 kinds of Nexus S:
i9020 (i9020a i9020t) and i9023

i9023 is the european version or non-USA/UK version. It has S-LCD screen. Worse colors, worse black.
google it and check example photos (I found some on flickr)
Super LCD variant is unable to display black color, it's just dark grey. More vivid colors are provided by Super AMOLED screen of i9020 variant.

As far as I know, this is the only difference. If you want to root your phone, it is important again.

Apart that,
This is another perfect phone by Google (despite Samsung).

"yes this phone is perfect except the phone itself"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sneaking Mission posted:

iyg is a disease

inspect your gina

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

it's just baffling that people honestly think they need quad-core tablets

for anything

let alone UI lag

it's still better than those people who goes "you need to root your brand new phone and install the latest cm7 mod to make the battery last more than a day and ui usable"

at least you will get a more workable solution out of the box with quad cores

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
...with great freedom comes great responsibility :ironicat:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
patents are a loving joke

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

apparently apple already has agreement with the giant patent troll that is intellectual ventures, but intellectual ventures turned around gave away (lodsys 'acquired') the patent to some shell company with an address to an empty office suite in the middle of nowhere, just so they can sue everyone

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Coffee Quack posted:

i keep thinking how nice it woudl be to have stereo speakers in aphone
and then i remember the few products that tried it

*place left and right channels just a few cm apart due to physical size constrain*

"yep we've got stereo"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dessert Rose posted:

nothing else was any faster when it was around

i mean sure the first gen iphone was also slow as poo poo and weighed like six pounds but everything else was worse
the original iphone came out in 2007 and the 3G came out in July 2008

now think of another decent, non-apple smartphone that came out in 2008

cant think of any? because android 1.0 wasn't even released till sept 2008

the only reason people are bitching about their 3G being god drat slow is because apple let it live too long and you could still be using it even in 2010

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Janin posted:

if you're sending mostly pre-compressed data like video or images, then a transmission system that gets a flat 20 kB/s or so is better. If you're sending mostly text, then a system with built-in compression but a line speed of 5 kB/s will be better.

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

toby posted:

i have an epic 4g (because i have a partially irrational hatred of the way apple does business) and it's not awful
tell us more about how you feel regarding this subject, maybe we can talk it through

i think it's more to do with how everyone else are so just dumb at doing business, apple is the only one that seems somewhat coherent with a bit of forward thinking while looking further than the next quarter

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lol

guys i'm calling my gtx 460 as geforece 16 because there were 15 models before it

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cuw posted:

did you look up how many models actually came out before it or did you pull that number out of your rear end?

pulled from the same place where i get my post so yes

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
it's a simple and easy to use map app that tells you how to get from a to b with basic bookmark and search function

theres also this so you can add a clickable link in your map app that will link the location to the destination field in your nav app
http://modmyi.com/cydia/package.php?id=28701

I can see why they don't want to bloat it up especially when people can just buy the nav apps (navigon/tomtom) that are even better than the google one

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Windows Phone's cost/sales ratio is probably among the worst for any technology launch since HD-DVD or the Kin

and they are all related to Microsoft :catstare:
welp

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
the bay area posers should just have a pos meet with janin and sperg about android and ios irl

and settle everything once and for all

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ganguro King posted:

docomo selling the galaxy tab? well see about that

who's going to win? :ohdear:

Apple is now being sued by HTC with patents that were owned by Google until a few days ago, according to Bloomberg. HTC already had cases going against Apple (Apple, likewise, has gone after HTC on a few fronts), but the new patents stand to bolster its lawsuits, and may even include property acquired by Google when it bought Motorola Mobility.

Google transferred nine patents to HTC on September 1, four of which were originally sourced from Motorola and are being used against Apple in a federal court in Delaware. The remaining five, three from Openwave Systems and two from Palm, will help HTC amend a complaint with the US International Trade Commission (ITC) filed in Washington and possibly reverse the preliminary ruling that HTC has infringed on Apple.

The Next Web notes that one of these patents in the ITC complaint concerns a realtime API that is widely used in the Android ecosystem, and Apple claims to own it. If HTC lost that ground to Apple, the effects could ripple through the entire Android platform, hence Google's concern and urgent patent "gifts" to bolster HTC's case. Now, we're left wondering if Google will play patent fairy to Apple's other aggressors and targets as well. Samsung, anyone?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
a dollar short and a day late, good job intel

quote:

What makes the news of Intel's official Gingerbread support puzzling, however, is that the platform will soon be deprecated. Eric Schmidt recently revealed that Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), the next major version of Google's mobile operating system, will launch in October or November. This version of the operating system is designed to work across multiple form factors, including tablets and phones.

Intel's plan to launch Gingerbread support on Atom a few months after the ICS release makes the company seem behind the curve. It's possible that Intel is simply not among the favored few who are given early access to the source code by Google.

Another interesting detail that surfaced in the video is the inclusion of MeeGo in Intel's platform lineup. Intel recently reaffirmed its commitment to the MeeGo platform amid rumors that it planned to discontinue its MeeGo development efforts. The slide describes MeeGo as being suitable for a wide range of devices and "perfect" for any developer. Other platforms shown in the list include Windows 7, Windows Embedded, and Fedora. The slide lists Windows XP alongside other Windows variants and uses the anachronistic "Fedora Core" branding to describe Fedora, so it's possible that it's partly based on outdated information.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Linux Nazi posted:

Exactly, according to the site it supports this app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radio-com-for-iphone/id323701765?mt=8

Almost any content site that has some kind of flash requirement that doesn't automatically replace the video player or whatever with an ipad compatible player will almost certainly have an app. Even some obscure Philly affiliate AM news station.

there's also tunein radio that can even stream stuff from all over the world

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
so are they all just watching youtube videos on the phone or what

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

toby posted:

you know i was pretty happy with my galaxy until you assholes pointed out all its problems, god drat it
just think how much happier/less frustrated you'll be with an iphone :sun:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Osh posted:

I would buy an iPad if I could rest my hand on it and write like a normal human being. but no, I'd have to buy a special stylus with a weird ball tip and hover my hand over the screen while I write.
you can write like a normal person on the ipad, note taker hd on the ipad has palm detection/rejection/wrist guard and it's a decent note taking app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

i think apple is going to remain a strong contender for a long rear end tiem in the mobile space but the fact is their margins will have to drop eventually if they want to maintain the same presence you giant bitch tit
they literally bought out all the supplies to the point they started building their own with their giant cash reserve though didn't they? which means it will be a long rear end time before someone else can undercut them, if such a thing even happens in the first place