Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

what is this posted:

Motorola Xoom pricing is still not firmed up, release date is still nebulous, but the laptop dock costs $500.

You can straight up buy a laptop with Motorola Xoom specs for under $500. And load it with a horrible linux for free!

Isn't the laptop dock for the atrix? (still waaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

I literally have money saved to buy an iPad 2 the second it's available. Going 3G and giving my wife my current iPad.

iPad supremacy. All hail iOS.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Unexpected EOF posted:

tl;dr: Galaxy Tab is a sluggish piece of poo poo even fresh out of the box.

samsung also has their own filesystem that can't handle modern things like cached writes, journaling, etc.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

at the super bowl party I was at everyone was like "why is motorola making ipads now? wouldn't I just get an ipad?" Then later the ad for the Daily came on and people were like "yeah ipads own"

welp that's my story cya

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Ryouga Inverse posted:

tryin to get half the posts on this page

if you put your mind to it you can do anything :angel:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

fishmech posted:

iPad has less power than the iphone 4. lmao

cry more nerd

Who gives a poo poo

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

fishmech posted:

less processing power and RAM (?) + driving a bigger screen

thats not good

I actually think the a4 in the iPad is faster clocked or spends more time at 1GHz. Definitely has less ram.

Again, who really cares? One of the nicest things about iPad and what apple is doing is that specs dont matter anymore.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

fishmech posted:

blackberry is going to be an android-only manufacturer in a few years. they've already decided to allow android apps to run on their tablet lol.

is this legit?

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Does it matter what phone it was? Android is poo poo.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

KNEELB4ZOll posted:

this is going to be where the limux phone nerdlingers tell you that you have the wrong linux phone and you should be using a custom firmware for it because your frotp funroll loops targiff a jalapeno on a steeek

Just gonna quote this cause it owns.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

You see rotor you're wrong because of yjgjhbjvhf j gjhvhjbjkn
Jknlm
Knhjb uihiuhkiniljli mln ihoijlijlnoinjkl

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Ryouga Inverse posted:

but you know, it's those drat devs' fault for writing apps that way, not the OS's fault for just outright crashing when faced with an app that expects a different screen size

good thing we decided to have a bunch of slightly different screen sizes so that it's hard for the os to try and scale things appropriately!

~~~~~~~~~****fragments api****~~~~~~~~~

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Tomorrow is going to own so loving hard.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

loving this thread. can't stop reading :shepface:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

haveblue posted:

every phone is running multiple processes/threads already just as part of the OS. with dual it can give an entire core to an app without having to share it with the VOIP stack, notification receiver, music player, background downloads, etc

also some apps do use multiple threads just because it's a convenient way to keep the gui mostly responsive while doing lengthly tasks

some of our games are gonna have really smoothly animating load screens now :c00l:

GCD makes it stupidly easily to leverage multiple cores. If android has a similar framework that's pretty cool too.

edit: any application that was already written using GCD could become substantially faster for absolutely free on the iPad 2.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

what is this posted:

to sum up that review in a clause

"when I test beta hardware…"

Look man, gmail was in beta, for like, ever, man.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Autism Sundae posted:

But, the Xoom will be subsidized and therefore cheaper than a 3G iPad. You may ask why I'm nt factoring the price of a data plan into the equation, well its because Im an idiot.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

If your assets aren't already encoded in h264 you're doing it wrong

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

that looks loving awful, congratulations on your poo poo tablet rim

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

I dunno, that whole "off screen to on screen" gesture thing seems to work pretty well.

*sits down to read a thing, grips the bezel, shits whips around everywhere*

this is truly the future of computing

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Sweet more shaggar wrong posts, maybe you could post some more absolutely awful opinions shaggar.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

apple keyboard is outstanding. shaggar is a lotus notes user.

Not only is shaggar a lotus notes user, he loving loves it.

Also, Mac keyboards are pretty good, but it did take a while for me to comfortably transition from white/plastic to the chick let aluminum.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

don't forget the playbook doesn't let you check email or your calendar unless you have a bb phone

Glumwheels posted:

don't forget the playbook doesn't let you check email or your calendar unless you have a bb phone

Glumwheels posted:

Glumwheels posted:

Glumwheels posted:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

iPad loving owns. My father in law in the hospital with an aneurism and he's pretty miserable -- he's also a really old guy, like 78. He was always pretty technically savvy, worked for NASA and he has the patents for the machines that the US Mint uses to count paper money (which is actually really ballin')

Anyways, he's been reall frsustrated with computers lately, because he was always capable on them, even built his own, but he's starting to forget how to do a lot of things on them. My wife brought her iPad to the hospital and handed it to him and said "here are my games"

She left him with it, and we she got it back he had used it literally non stop for hours on end (still had ~50% charge) and he had beaten most of her scores on several games.

This is what apple is doing, and what none of the laugh manufacturers understand. A product that is both sophisticated enough to accomplish many things, and simple enough that anyone can use it.

:tipshat:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

cioxx posted:

that's cute, but can he sideload apps from non-trusted sources?

also no widgets

*hands him a xoom*

*he literally dies from the massive amount of suck*

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

deichkind42 posted:

Yes i have a lone foot on my main homescreen, but the payoff is the pretty girl i get when i swipe all the way to the left. :smug:

Yeah real :shepface:

25.0 C
3279 mV
Li-ion
Good

That's so loving cool, I wish I knew my battery temperature and chemistry, cause I'm sure it changes frequently -- but I'd never know with just one clock how frequently.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Reminder, in janin's world 3G data is barely better than dialup.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

First thing I noticed was the display quality. Admittedly, I'm used to iPhone 4 dpi and after a few hours of playing with it my eyes adjusted.

I'm not sure quality is the right word. The iPad display is very high quality and looks really good. It's just not as sharp as the iphone 4, and I'd definitely love an iPad with retina like DPI.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

iPad is amazing and iOS is pretty great and easy to develop for but notifications are hilariously bad, especially on the iPad. All I want in iOS5 is better notifications.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Mufreesboro posted:

BARCODE
scanner

Barcode

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

we heard you like sandwiches so we put some sandwiches on your sandwich.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

unironically surprised at this list.

Mustard grilled burger from in-and-out is pretty good if you want a quick burger for like 3 dollars.
:goonsay:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Atasi posted:

The only correct order at InO is a 4x4 /w Fries well done both Animal Style. :colbert:

4x4 :pwn:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

got dat wmd posted:

so when you get a device for 3g internet does it still have a phone number tied to it?

like if you put the sim into a phone would it show a number with no call time

yeah as above, same on verizon, my ipad has a #

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

To a degree that's legit, apple retail locations are pretty decent as far as brick and mortar shopping goes. Part of me feels that they are in walmart, target and Bestbuy just so you are confronted with how enormously lovely a decision to buy another brand would be.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

fishmech the only reason you don't own a xoom is that you jumped on the (equally awful) first major limux tablet and hadn't finished white knighting it when the xoom came out

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Sneaking Mission posted:

i use ipad mainly at night in bed or in the mroing getting ready for work. the rest of my heavy duty internetting on my 'air

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

if you check "manually manage music" in itunes you can synch an ipad to more than one computer.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Pay for your apps goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Mufreesboro posted:

nah i'll just pirate them

Hey gently caress you too.