Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
Someone is selling a Minolta TC-1. It looks so wacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I am a big Mju II fan (Epic stylus). I tend to carry it around along with my DSLR. I wrote up a review on my blog. http://www.lostaruban.com/gear/my-favorite-camera%E2%80%99s-series-the-olympus-mju-2/

The biggest con being that the flash is always automatically turned on and you have to turn it off manually.

Whats in the bags? by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

Light from above by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

But as you can see it works nicely with crossprocessed film. Even though this copy had a pretty nasty lightleak. I do have one now without leaks.

Around Iteawon by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

Caught in between by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

Lomo Film Thaipusam by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

grumblybear posted:

oh man, why did this thread have to come up now, a few days after my olympus ecru was lifted off me at a club?

35mm f/3.5, silly-powerful flash, and a wacko form factor that broke the ice with anyone i wanted to shoot.

looked at replacing it, they run upwards of $400 on ebay cause they were limited edition (20k worldwide), so that's not gonna happen. fortunately they were essentially the same as the stylus epic (the ecru was the proof-of-concept that led to the epic), and those are cheaper and with a faster lens, but not as dooooooooooope.

dawg, I just checked eBay and there's plenty more of these wacky cameras at semi-reasonable prices to go around. That thing is also bizarre looking. It looks like legos or a diver's camera or something.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Got a roll through my new Olympus Mju II, cross post with SAD:

Physics by mr_student, on Flickr

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
A local store has a used rollei 35 for $100, I am think of buying it, though what I really want is a XA2. Does anyone have experience with both?

PS- This thread rules

General Gingersnap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 16, 2011

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

dawg, I just checked eBay and there's plenty more of these wacky cameras at semi-reasonable prices to go around. That thing is also bizarre looking. It looks like legos or a diver's camera or something.

yeah, there's a lot of play in how much they go for. the last two completed listings went for $150 and $400, which are both too rich for my blood -- especially considering the stylus epic that just showed up in my mailbox. my girlfriend saw it and immediately deemed it my 'soccer mom' camera, which, alright, is kind of a legitimate observation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

General Gingersnap posted:

A local store has a used rollei 35 for $100, I am think of buying it, though what I really want is a XA2. Does anyone have experience with both?

PS- This thread rules

To make a long story short the XA2 is a point and shoot and the Rollei 35 is not.

IQ-wise, the Triotar versions of the Rollei 35 are probably a bit softer than the XA2 wide open (flickr example), but equal when stopped down (landscape mode). The Tessar versions are probably a bit better than the XA2 (also a Tessar, I believe, but probably not as high quality). The Sonnar versions are great even wide open (but it's probably not a Sonnar at $100).

The Rollei 35 is built like a brick shithouse and will give you more creative control. You get full manual control of shutter and aperture, and scale focusing instead of zone-focus. It will also probably be more repairable if it breaks. It's kind of a clumsy camera and using a flash is a pain. The meter does not work well in the dark.

Disclosure: I have a Rollei 35 that I haven't put a roll through yet, because my XA (not XA2) has a rangefinder, is easier to carry, and I trust the meter more.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 16, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

it's....so nice.....

(not leeching cause it's my facebook)

Whats a normal price for one of these?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Whats a normal price for one of these?

I paid $200, but factor in a little bit extra for batteries and what not, which are weird and hard to find. The camera itself is also quite rare.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I paid $200, but factor in a little bit extra for batteries and what not, which are weird and hard to find. The camera itself is also quite rare.

I just tried to snag one on ebay, fucker increased from $200-$300 in the last 10 mins.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

To make a long story short the XA2 is a point and shoot and the Rollei 35 is not.

IQ-wise, the Triotar versions of the Rollei 35 are probably a bit softer than the XA2 wide open (flickr example), but equal when stopped down (landscape mode). The Tessar versions are probably a bit better than the XA2 (also a Tessar, I believe, but probably not as high quality). The Sonnar versions are great even wide open (but it's probably not a Sonnar at $100).

The Rollei 35 is built like a brick shithouse and will give you more creative control. You get full manual control of shutter and aperture, and scale focusing instead of zone-focus. It will also probably be more repairable if it breaks. It's kind of a clumsy camera and using a flash is a pain. The meter does not work well in the dark.

Disclosure: I have a Rollei 35 that I haven't put a roll through yet, because my XA (not XA2) has a rangefinder, is easier to carry, and I trust the meter more.

Thanks! Im not looking for balls to the wall creative control, just something portable/awesome for when I dont want to carry a slr. I see an XA2 with an A11 for $45 on KEH, I think Im going to go for it. I also have big hands, the Rollei may be a little 'too' small.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

One of maybe three useful things I learned when I worked at Radio Shack is that size 675 zinc-air batteries are direct replacements for the old mercury batteries.

Get some here
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Pr675-D6A-PR675-Battery-Multipack/dp/B0009U7C6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297892577&sr=8-2

Or get a big pack since they only last a week or two once opened.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-Hza675-60-Premium-Hearing-Batteries/dp/B0048LXM0M/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1297892746&sr=8-17

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Thanks! Im not looking for balls to the wall creative control, just something portable/awesome for when I dont want to carry a slr. I see an XA2 with an A11 for $45 on KEH, I think Im going to go for it. I also have big hands, the Rollei may be a little 'too' small.

You can control the exposure on the XA2 by changing the ISO setting. Just treat it the same as exposure compensation.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I also have big hands, the Rollei may be a little 'too' small.
I sold my Rollei 35 for this reason. It's a neat camera with a good lens, but I just couldn't get used to the way it handled. My XA2 feels a lot better, but that may be partially due to the fact that there isn't a lot to control.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I cant believe people are trying to get $200+ for XA2s on ebay, thats just ridiculous. I am still kicking myself for not buying one that I saw for around $30 at a thrift shop, but whtevz

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Haha, wtf. I got mine on ebay as part of a "box of 35mm P&S cameras" for $10 that also came with 10 rolls of Kodak Gold.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

I cant believe people are trying to get $200+ for XA2s on ebay, thats just ridiculous. I am still kicking myself for not buying one that I saw for around $30 at a thrift shop, but whtevz

"I tried to sell it, but no one would buy!"

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I just got myself an XA for twenty bucks, aw yeaah. Tested and examined some weirder things too, like the itsy bitsy Minox 35.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

Haha, wtf. I got mine on ebay as part of a "box of 35mm P&S cameras" for $10 that also came with 10 rolls of Kodak Gold.

if this was 36 exp kodak gold then gently caress you. my favorite daylight film apparently only exists on the east coast in bullshit 24exp variations. What other cameras?

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I put up a wanted ad for one on CL, a guy emailed me asking $45 for one. Good, bad?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

I have 3 of them, 2 from Ebay, and the most I paid was like $30. People are retarded.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

brad industry posted:

I have 3 of them, 2 from Ebay, and the most I paid was like $30. People are retarded.

I vowed not to buy anything photo related for a while but thanks to this thread I started jonesing for an XA2. I found one for $30 with shipping on e-bay with the flash. Hello new street photography camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Give-no-gently caress film point and shoots are awesome. I still need to buy a camera cheap enough I can throw it at someone.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This thread just inspired me to grab an XA2 off of ebay for $35.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

if this was 36 exp kodak gold then gently caress you. my favorite daylight film apparently only exists on the east coast in bullshit 24exp variations. What other cameras?

Only 24exp :(

The others were huge Pentax slow zoom thing which I haven't used, and a Stylus Infinity that my son uses. The infinity is pretty sweet, half stop slower than the Epic but usually a lot cheaper.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I am officially a part of the XA2 club :slick:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Wow, the Olympus XA2 seems to be the goon camera of choice for some reason. No one's even bought an XA4 and it has that cool flash-bar thing off to the side!

I was figuring I'd get one or two of you to pony up for a T4 or maybe to convince one of you with slightly more dispensable income to pick up the Contax T2 but the XA2 seems to be a real hit!

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wow, the Olympus XA2 seems to be the goon camera of choice for some reason. No one's even bought an XA4 and it has that cool flash-bar thing off to the side!

I was figuring I'd get one or two of you to pony up for a T4 or maybe to convince one of you with slightly more dispensable income to pick up the Contax T2 but the XA2 seems to be a real hit!

I got my now ex-girlfriend a T3 for her birthday. :psyduck:

I'm with McMadCow in the Contax G* department. I just need to get a couple more lenses for it.

But I could totally plump for a cheaper, smaller P&S.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Oh man, I started looking at Contax G1's and G2's on KEH and then reading about them online. I'm too poor right now to buy one! :cry: Why did I get into this hobby...

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
I just took out the batteries out of my previous pocket camera, the Minox GT-E. It's one of the smallest full frame 35mm cameras and not technically a point and shoot as it has manual focus (with no focusing aids at all) and manual aperture, but once you get the routine down, it becomes really quick to operate. I guess it still would technically deliver a better image quality than my current digital pocket camera (Canon S95), but nowadays I just can't be arsed to deal with film anymore. I have a vintage twin lens reflex medium format camera for the times I want to do that...

I wonder whether there's still any demand for the Minox 35mm cameras? Minox is mostly known for the sub-miniature format cameras, but the 35mm ones are quite nice too.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There's 4 flash units for the XA series (XA, XA1, XA2, XA3, XA4) series anyway, not just for the XA4. The XA and the XA4 are usually the cameras of choice as the XA is a fully featured rangefinder with a 35/2.8 lens, whereas the XA4 is a 'macro' zone focusing 35/3.5 but is pretty drat rare and expensive.

The XA1 is poo poo, and everybody knows about the XA2 it seems - plus it came in a variety of colours and was featured in anime :v:, and the XA3 seems much the same as the XA2 but with DX.

But back to the flashes, they're all pretty crappy (dont work at speeds other than 100 or 400 ISO) and completely negate the massive advantage of the XA series as you can no longer carry it around in your pocket.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

cyberbug posted:

I wonder whether there's still any demand for the Minox 35mm cameras? Minox is mostly known for the sub-miniature format cameras, but the 35mm ones are quite nice too.

There still seems to be plenty of demand for the GT-E, judging by the prices on keh:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Minox-35mm-Fixed-Lens-Cameras/1/sku-MX049991066210?r=FE

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
This is a cool website that discusses the entire XA line: http://www.diaxa.com/

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The XA rangefinder is definitely a "better" camera, but when I use a pocket point and shoot I don't want to think about anything so I like the XA2's. The A11 flashes are comically bad but are perfectly adequate if it's your don't-give-a-gently caress camera.

Krabsworth
Feb 20, 2011

by T. Mascis
I was in my local Goodwill a few months ago, rummaging through the baker's racks covered in crap they call the electronics area, when I notice this this little guy:

A Minolta Talker Auto Focus.

$1.99...so cash.

It takes pretty cool pictures, I've only really put 400 film in it but it always has a wonderful graininess to it, and also some quirky little imperfections usually turn out that are just lovely. You can tell the motor is a little worn, as it sounds like its using all of its might when it loads in a roll.

Sometimes random things just happen with the exposures...

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Uh oh, I just won two XA-2s by mistake on e-bay!

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Sirkus posted:

Uh oh, I just won two XA-2s by mistake on e-bay!

Did you get one for $7.50 an hour or so ago? If so I tried to snipe you and failed..

I did however win one just now for $15 - with flash and it looks brand new from the auction pics. drat this thread.. I've managed to keep up on the film thread and still not buy anything but read this thread and I'm on ebay looking up film lots and bidding on XA-2s.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Mannequin posted:

Oh man, I started looking at Contax G1's and G2's on KEH and then reading about them online. I'm too poor right now to buy one! :cry: Why did I get into this hobby...

Doooo it. Totally worth living off Mac and Cheese for a while. They're such ridiculously good cameras.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
If any of you bid on the Konica Auto S3 I am looking at now, I will choke a bitch. I want it so much. I think I might get an XA2 from a UK seller too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
The light meter in my LC-A stopped working this afternoon. I've replaced the batteries and still no luck, so I need a replacement. I understand the current LC-A doesn't have aperture control? Should I upgrade to the Rollei 35s?

Also, does anyone have experience with the Ricoh GR1? I like carrying a zone focusing camera when I'm out and about, but af and automatic wind/rewind can be very handy.

• Locked thread