Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world

Derpes Simplex posted:

Just how good is their hardware? I've been looking at the RB493G for one location, which claims to be entirely gigabit ports. Will I be able to pull off fully gigabit connections? The locations needs 4-5 uplinks and 2-3 LAN ports (all behind a NAT).

I've been running an RB750G (same CPU) for a 50/5 connection with a lot of NAT and shaping rules. Can easily max out the downstream with low CPU usage and I've seen full 100MB/sec transfers over the LAN. The switch ports can either be assigned as a switch (all four ports act like one to the software) or individually - if in switch mode, LAN traffic is handled entirely by the hardware, otherwise it passes through the software which can impact CPU usage on the lower end models. You can certainly do full gigabit routing throughput on a single port, multiple gigabit streams through multiple ports might benefit from a higher end model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

One incredibly annoying oversight / issue with the MT software is UPnP support. While it works great for opening incoming ports, the dynamic NAT entries it creates don't time out. So if your device or program doesn't remove them properly when it's done, or your system reboots / powers off / etc, you'll end up filling up your NAT table with garbage entries. This can manifest in just a couple of months depending on how much RAM your device has, how many UPnP enabled programs / devices you use and how many ports they decide to open.

You can remove them manually or just simply reboot it, but it's still pretty annoying.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Wireless with routerboards can get kind of expensive as the consumer models like the RB750G don't have mPCI slots, so you need a better board, custom case, radio card, antennas, etc. Personally I just use a standard AP in AP mode (no routing etc) hooked into the MT device. It helps that I have a high quality AP, but you can pick up something like the Ubiquiti PowerAP pretty cheap and get a nice AP to hook into your network.

Obviously if you want more complicated things like wireless client segregation, per-client shaping, 802.1x, etc you'll want your wireless clients hanging directly off an wireless card from the MT board.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah the NAT table on the 750G is 32k entries. Unless everyone at the LAN party is going to be torrenting, I don't see any problems with that.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

1W output sounds plain scary. I already get interference at 100mw from my speakers if they're within a few feet of the router. Hopefully it doesn't come pre-configured to 1W so people can actually set an appropriate power level that doesn't destroy the whole 2.4GHz band for everyone in a 150ft radius.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Isn't port forwarding under NAT?

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Anyone else having problems with the DNS server on MT units? It seems any DNS with low TTLs seems to randomly not resolve, it's super annoying. This most often happens with Amazon S3 and thus affects all kinds of websites. Happens across the LAN so it's not related to a single PC, it seems to return a NXDOMAIN (instead of a SERVFAIL) which my Windows PC happily caches until I flushdns, at which point it usually starts working again.

One day I'll get a packet capture, but it's so random when it happens it's impossible to predict.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

What's generally accepted as the best way to have wireless clients separated from wired clients on an RB751? I ended up going with some weird VLAN system but I don't feel this is optimal and it seemed rather convoluted in terms of setup. I don't just want them to be in a separate subnet, but physically isolated from the LAN portion of my network, only able to use the router as a gateway for internet.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

fordan posted:

I am starting to doubt the RB751G-2HnD is ever going to come out in the US. :sigh:

I've been limping along on an old personal router since my 610N died in early March thinking the RB751G-2HnD was just around the corner.

I kind of figured this would happen, we needed a new router recently so I just got the regular RB751U-2HnD and stuck a $30 gigabit switch in front of it. MT's supply chain is pretty terrible in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Still no fix for the DNS server bug with low TTL hosts. I'm giving up hope at this point.