Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009

ChaosReaper posted:

How Djokovic can play like he did to win that first set is beyond me. He looks like he could play for days right now.

Well, he did switch to that gluten-free diet. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.
I didn't think Djokovic would be able to play so well against Nadal here in Rome. :stare:

It seems like Nadal's ball isn't bouncing as high with topspin as it normally does on clay though. Am I just being fooled by Djokovic's lankiness or are conditions on the court a bit different?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well it was rain delayed and it's apparently cold but I thought that would help Nadal more than hurt him. I can't remember whether the fast or slow clay helps his topspin or not.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

I'm pretty sure cold + damp = lower bounces. Wasn't that the deal at Hamburg where Fed beat Nadal?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I think so but to be honest I don't think high bouncing topspin would do poo poo to Djokovic now anyway. During the match, Nadal has gotten some shots that bounce high and deep and Djokovic has just hit it to the corners like normal. Holy poo poo Djokovic is the best this year. If he doesn't win the French it will be a major shock.

ChaosReaper fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 15, 2011

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Yeah, you're probably right. High bounces don't seem to bother his amazing 2 handed backhand like they do Fed and others. Can't believe he's continuing to beat Nadal on clay. French should be interesting. Best of 5 could change things a bit, but I have to imagine this is getting in Nadal's head somewhat.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

So what is it going to take for Djokovic to be ranked #1? Winning the French Open?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

I think Djokovic can take it if Nadal doesn't win and Djokovic does halfway decent. I would still bet on Nadal winning the French but Djokovic is making it hard to bet against him. I mean if he had just beaten Nadal on one clay court or tournament it wouldn't be a huge deal. But he's beaten him 4 times already and thats gotta kill Nadal.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

mistermojo posted:

So what is it going to take for Djokovic to be ranked #1? Winning the French Open?

It depends on a lot of different factors, but off the top of my head if he gets to the final he'll be number one regardless of what Nadal does. If he gets to the semi's and Nadal either loses the final or earlier then Djokovic will be number one.

As long as he makes a deep run then he should be alright for it, I'm curious to see if he imploded like Ivanovic did when she became number one.

Fair play to Djokovic though, I didn't expect him to still be unbeaten this year but he deserves it with how good he has been playing, it's going to be a fun start of the year for him in 2012 though :stare:.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
gently caress yes, the French Open starts on Sunday. Isner vs. Nadal. Seems like a very hard opening match for the #1 overall seed. Speaking of #1 seed, how the hell isn't Djokovic the top seeded player?

US Tennis has taken such a loving nose dive. Only 2 :911: players are seeded in the top 25. Ugh.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

gently caress yes, the French Open starts on Sunday. Isner vs. Nadal. Seems like a very hard opening match for the #1 overall seed. Speaking of #1 seed, how the hell isn't Djokovic the top seeded player?

I think that Karlovic would have been a harder match than Isner for Nadal. Djokovic isn't the top seeded player because the seedings are based on rankings and Djokovic isn't number 1 yet. Also Nadal has won Roland Garros 5 times in the past 6 years so he would deserve to be the #1 seed anyway.

Are we going to start a new thread or just discuss the french open in here?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Isner isn't a bad player but I don't think Nadal will have any trouble with him on clay

Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009
I thought I heard someone on the Tennis Channel say that Isner has only won two matches total in the French Open. Seems doubtful that he'll put up serious resistance against Nadal.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The only players I really rooted for were Elena Dementieva and Marat Safin. And now both of them are gone.

Go Petko!...I guess.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

charismaslover posted:

I think that Karlovic would have been a harder match than Isner for Nadal. Djokovic isn't the top seeded player because the seedings are based on rankings and Djokovic isn't number 1 yet. Also Nadal has won Roland Garros 5 times in the past 6 years so he would deserve to be the #1 seed anyway.

Are we going to start a new thread or just discuss the french open in here?

I vote new thread. A lot of people don't even know it starts tomorrow, so it will attract them to post their bad opinions about tennis.

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, new thread would be my suggestion if someone is willing to do that. Golf is handled the same way I believe. One main thread for the year and then when the majors come around a new thread is made.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I'll make a new thread for it later on if no one else has. I was looking at the french open draw earlier on and I was stunned to see Tommy Haas in the draw, I had no idea he was back! :haw:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

charismaslover posted:

I'll make a new thread for it later on if no one else has. I was looking at the french open draw earlier on and I was stunned to see Tommy Haas in the draw, I had no idea he was back! :haw:

Awesome. The French is by far my favorite Major.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
Will Djokovic ever lose again? I thought it was an impressive streak in February, but now he's won 37 in a row, and it's getting ridiculous. He's got to be getting close to the record for wins in a row.

I haven't seen that much of him this year, but every time I've seen him, he's been dominating a really good player.

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009

swimgus posted:

Will Djokovic ever lose again? I thought it was an impressive streak in February, but now he's won 37 in a row, and it's getting ridiculous. He's got to be getting close to the record for wins in a row.

I haven't seen that much of him this year, but every time I've seen him, he's been dominating a really good player.

John McEnroe has the record for best start to a year, going 42-0
Guillermo Vilas has the overall Open era record, winning 46 in a row.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Slightly underwhelming schedule of play tomorrow. Old no-bra Goerges is on though.

Goony Goon
Mar 23, 2008

swimgus posted:

Going back to last year, he has 39 in a row, so if he wins the French, he will tie Vilas' record. And for some reason, that doesn't include the 3 matches he won at the Hopman Cup in January, so he's really at 42 in a row.

Resonance posted:

Slightly underwhelming schedule of play tomorrow. Old no-bra Goerges is on though.

And that is reason enough to watch...

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Hopman Cup is technically an exhibition thing isn't it?

Goony Goon
Mar 23, 2008

ChaosReaper posted:

Hopman Cup is technically an exhibition thing isn't it?

I believe it's sanctioned by the ITF but not the ATP. So it does have some legitimacy, but apparently not enough for it to be included in the streak.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!

Resonance posted:

I love her. She can turn any guy into a fan of women's tennis.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

French Open thread in case anyone missed it (like me):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413576

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I have a question about tennis balls. I see a lot that are marketed as "extra duty", and apparently that means they can last over many games. Does that mean they're going to be heavier less responsive than other balls to compensate for wear?

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

The British #2 James Ward, who's outside the top 200, has beaten Wawrinka, an injured Querrey, and some other loser to reach the last four at Queen's.

If Murray reaches the finals and Ward beats Tsonga (who dumped out a tired Nadal today), then we'd have the very unusual prospect of an all British final at a premier event.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

that Vai sound posted:

I have a question about tennis balls. I see a lot that are marketed as "extra duty", and apparently that means they can last over many games. Does that mean they're going to be heavier less responsive than other balls to compensate for wear?
Not sure if they're any heavier, but they are less responsive with less "spring". Normal balls are better, but it's a matter of how much money you wanna spend on buying new balls all the time.

New balls, please!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Watching the Eastbourne International right now, Serena looks amazingly rusty. Just lost the first set against Pironkova 6-1.

Edit: She got through in the end, but at no point looked very comfortable. Hopefully she'll get another match or three to prepare for Wimbledon.

spamman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2011

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Wimbledon seeds were announced today.

Mens Seeds

quote:

1 Rafael NADAL (ESP) [1]
2 Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB) [2]
3 Roger FEDERER (SUI) [3]
4 Andy MURRAY (GBR) [4]
5 Robin SODERLING (SWE) [5]
6 Tomas BERDYCH (CZE) [6]
7 David FERRER (ESP) [7]
8 Andy RODDICK (USA) [8]
9 Gael MONFILS (FRA) [9]
10 Mardy FISH (USA) [10]
11 Jurgen MELZER (AUT) [11]
12 Jo-Wilfried TSONGA (FRA) [12]
13 Viktor TROICKI (SRB) [13]
14 Stanislas WAWRINKA (SUI) [14]
15 Gilles SIMON (FRA) [15]
16 Nicolas ALMAGRO (ESP) [16]
17 Richard GASQUET (FRA) [17]
18 Mikhail YOUZHNY (RUS) [18]
19 Michael LLODRA (FRA) [19]
20 Florian MAYER (GER) [20]
21 Fernando VERDASCO (ESP) [21]
22 Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (UKR) [22]
23 Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB) [23]
24 Juan Martin DEL POTRO (ARG) [24]
25 Juan Ignacio CHELA (ARG) [25]
26 Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (ESP) [26]
27 Marin CILIC (CRO) [27]
28 David NALBANDIAN (ARG) [28]
29 Nikolay DAVYDENKO (RUS) [29]
30 Thomaz BELLUCCI (BRA) [30]
31 Milos RAONIC (CAN) [31]
32 Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) [32]

Womens Seeds

quote:

1 Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN) [1]
2. Vera ZVONAREVA (RUS) [2]
3. Na LI (CHN) [3]
4. Victoria AZARENKA (BLR) [4]
5. Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS) [5]
6. Francesca SCHIAVONE (ITA) [6]
7. Serena WILLIAMS (USA) [7]
8. Petra KVITOVA (CZE) [8]
9. Marion BARTOLI (FRA) [9]
10. Samantha STOSUR (AUS) [10]
11. Andrea PETKOVIC (GER) [11]
12. Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (RUS) [12]
13. Agnieszka RADWANSKA (POL) [13]
14. Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (RUS) [14]
15. Jelena JANKOVIC (SRB) [15]
16. Julia GOERGES (GER) [16]
17. Kaia KANEPI (EST) [17]
18. Ana IVANOVIC (SRB) [18]
19. Yanina WICKMAYER (BEL) [19]
20. Shuai PENG (CHN) [20]
21. Flavia PENNETTA (ITA) [21]
22. Shahar PEER (ISR) [22]
23. Venus WILLIAMS (USA) [23]
24. Dominika CIBULKOVA (SVK) [24]
25. Daniela HANTUCHOVA (SVK) [25]
26. Maria KIRILENKO (RUS) [26]
27. Jarmila GAJDOSOVA (AUS) [27]
28. Ekaterina MAKAROVA (RUS) [28]
29. Roberta VINCI (ITA) [29]
30. Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS (USA) [30]
31. Lucie SAFAROVA (CZE) [31]
32. Tsvetana PIRONKOVA (BUL) [32]

Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009
They pushed Roddick into the 8th seed! I hope he does well enough to justify it, that would be amazing. Also, can someone tell me why Tipsarevic is seeded 7 spots above his ranking? I wasn't aware that he was particularly good on grass - he even lost in the first round in last year's Wimbledon.

WTA seeds look a lot more straightforward. Literally the only difference between them and the rankings is Serena and Venus being higher.

Edit: Fish is playing better in the past year than he probably ever has, so it's not too surprising to see him ranked and seeded so high. Last year, didn't he lead the tour in percentage of first serve points won or something along those lines?
vvvvvvvvvvv

Sodbury fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 16, 2011

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
How the gently caress is Fish #10

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Just out of curiosity, what is Monfils highest seeding for a major?

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Monfils was 9th at RG as well and I'd expect that's the highest, since 8th right now is a career high ranking for him.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Sodbury posted:

Also, can someone tell me why Tipsarevic is seeded 7 spots above his ranking? I wasn't aware that he was particularly good on grass - he even lost in the first round in last year's Wimbledon.

I read this on Pete Bodo's blog, which might help explain things:

Pete Bodo posted:

Wimbledon's seeding formula takes a players ESP (Entry System Position, or computer ranking) and adds 100 percent of the points he or she earned for all grass-court tournaments in the past 12 months, and 75 percent of the points earned for the best grass tournament in the 12 months before that. In essense, the system double counts grass-court performance over a two-year period.

Serena looked absolutely exhausted when she lost to Zvonareva. Venus out today as well. Quite possible that they'll get embarrassed in the first week at Wimbledon.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Resonance posted:

Serena looked absolutely exhausted when she lost to Zvonareva. Venus out today as well. Quite possible that they'll get embarrassed in the first week at Wimbledon.

Thing with Serena was that she was playing a lot better until she ran out of gas. Easily the better player on the court until near the end of the 2nd, and still managed to find something in the third to make it interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it past the opening few matches, particularly with the extra day you get between matches at a grand slam.

Goony Goon
Mar 23, 2008
Ha! The draw for Wimbledon just came out and Isner and Mahut will play each other in the first round!!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Goony Goon posted:

Ha! The draw for Wimbledon just came out and Isner and Mahut will play each other in the first round!!
Just saw that. Made me laugh.

Fired up a thread for the tournament: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3419610

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

The Rogers Cup starts in six days and that Cincinnati Open starts in under two weeks. Two big tournaments in the lead up to the US Open. Will any of you goons be watching?

Why has this thread been such a ghost town :(

• Locked thread