Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Rogers Cup will be playing in my hometown but I can't even bring myself to go watch the WTA. And I am not ashamed one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

El Ste posted:

The Rogers Cup starts in six days and that Cincinnati Open starts in under two weeks. Two big tournaments in the lead up to the US Open. Will any of you goons be watching?

Why has this thread been such a ghost town :(

I would imagine it was because the Wimbledon thread eclipsed it. Likely be watching it now that I have TV, looking forward to being able to watch more tennis. It's a great sport.

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Athanos posted:

I would imagine it was because the Wimbledon thread eclipsed it. Likely be watching it now that I have TV, looking forward to being able to watch more tennis. It's a great sport.

It really is. Only recently got into it mind you, used to be all about football (world and American). Fell in love with it all of a sudden when I bought Top Spin 4 (ridiculous, I know) and haven't looked back since. Been starting to try to play too. Man, that is one difficult sport to play. Practically its own craft

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Murray and Nadal out of Montreal! Saw the Goerges/Williams match yesterday... conditions were ridiculous, shame Goerges couldn't push it to three. Is Serena really going to be the favourite going into the Open?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Holy poo poo Federer is getting poo poo on by Tsonga in the third. What the hell has happened in this match to cause this bullshit?

Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009
Djokovic couldn't have asked for an easier draw at this point, holy poo poo. Nadal, Federer, and Murray all flying to Cincinnati already. :aaa:

Sodbury
Aug 14, 2009
I hope someone else just saw Verdasco lose to Nadal 67(5) 76(4) 67(9). Over three and a half hours, and 4 match points saved by Verdasco; poor guy, their head to head is now 0-12. :smith:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

That was just depressing. This seemed like his best chance since Nadal was acting like a head case for part of the match and Verdasco just couldn't pull it out.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw that scoreline, wish I could've seen it. Verdasco must be crushed... perhaps not as much as when he lost that match to Nadal at the Australian though.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KenutsNFQSM

Djokovic parodying Sharapova's Head commercial (original ad). Oh Novak :swoon:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Djokovic retiring in a match he's losing? That's the Novak I've missed!

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Djokovic retiring in a match he's losing? That's the Novak I've missed!

And if he retires at the US Open this year he will have achieved the Career Slam in retirements, thus making him the undisputed king of retirement. Don't let us down Novak!

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

To be fair to Novak, this is the first time he's retired in forever and it seems like he was actually hurt instead of just deciding to be a bitch. I hope he can fix whatever is wrong before the US Open. I also hope Federer decides to quit playing like poo poo so we'll see if either of those happen.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah, I just had to make that joke. He's on such a historic roll, I doubt he would quit any match as long as he can raise a racket...which apparently he couldn't really do anymore against Murray.

I really want old Roger back though. It was more fun when he could beat a guy like Berdych without breaking a sweat.

merrilyx4
May 30, 2010

Out of the Blue
and into the Black
I'm surprised at how Djokovic spit the dummy after a set with Murray in the Cinci finals. I guess the cash means more than a record streak in the end. Here's hoping he'll be ready for NY.

I can't believe I'm looking forward to seeing Fish there too. Any other goons gonna attend the open next week?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

I wonder whether Federer will end up in Nadal's half of the draw or in Djokovic's half. Federer and Djokovic always seem to end up together which is kinda weird when the rest of the draw is so random.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

And Federer is indeed in Djokovic's half, which has been the case in 14 of 16 slams. Who fancies making a new thread?

foobat
Nov 26, 2008
Everyone's still holding out for a Federer-Nadal final and if not a Djokovic-Nadal final will do. Until Murray wins a set in a Grand slam final I guess this is the way it's going to be.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Watching this Roddick-Isner semifinal in Winston-Salem makes me :(

I really want Isner to put it together, and Andy just.... Andy :(:(:(

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Spain and Argentina through to the Davis Cup final. Shame, could've had another best-of-five Nadal v Djokovic if Serbia made it through... not that anyone would have cared!

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Resonance posted:

Spain and Argentina through to the Davis Cup final. Shame, could've had another best-of-five Nadal v Djokovic if Serbia made it through... not that anyone would have cared!

This poo poo's ridiculously close to the end of the US Open. Season's too long.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
tennis.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Looks like we might have two young guys to be excited about up north. Vasek Pospisil basically single-handedly got Canada into the World Group of the Davis Cup by winning both his singles matches this weekend as well as a doubles match with Daniel Nestor. Pretty big coming-out party for him. I remember he made some noise at the US Open as well by crushing his first-round opponent before falling to Feliciano Lopez in a pretty hard-fought four-setter.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Andy Murray won a lot of matches! But that's not why I bring this thread back from the dead.

http://www.livestream.com/playthegame_dshs/video?clipId=pla_44809e94-aa04-46c7-9f1e-35b212ba9d46&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Skip to the 12:30 mark and listen to this lady talk about Grand Slam draws and the probability of Djokovic ending up in Federer's side of the draw 12 out of 12 times (Australien Open, Wimbledon and US Open) over a span of 4 years. I found this pretty interesting and it is not something I read or heard about before.

edit: To sum it up...going by the laws of probability, the chance for Djokovic to end up in Federer's side of the draw 12 out of 12 times is 0.02%.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 18, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I know this thread is pretty much dead, but Djokovic lost his 4th match of the year (total record: 68-4) to a 21 year old wild card entry at the Swiss Indoors. The final score: 6-2 6-7 0-6. :what:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/tennis/11/05/novak.djokovic.ap/index.html?sct=tn_t11_a0

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Shoulder problems apparently, probably just wants to call it quits for the rest of the year now.

If Federer wins Basle it'll be his first title since Doha at the start of his year!

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
As good of a season that Djokovic has had, it's a shame he couldn't set a record for it. He's 13 wins away from equalling Federer's 81-4 but I can't see it happening.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Federer waxed the wild card dude 6-1 6-3 to take the title.

Go Roger. :unsmith:

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Roger :unsmith:

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
It would be nice to see Roger win another major, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. Doesn't seem to want it as much now that he has 16.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

Athanos posted:

It would be nice to see Roger win another major, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. Doesn't seem to want it as much now that he has 16.

I really don't think you can question Roger's competitive drive, fitness, and effort. Bottom line is that Djokovic and Nadal are absolutely amazing and significantly younger.

If Fed didn't exist we'd just be freaking out about having two players of the caliber of Nadal/Djokovic in their primes at the same time.

e: I mean he took Djok to 5-sets, and beat Tsonga in straight sets a few months ago at the US Open. Fed still owns. It's just an amazing top 4 right now from the Men's side.

Mandoira fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 7, 2011

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

I was hoping the Paris indoors would be the same super speed they were last year. They seem decently fast this year but nothing like last year and thats a little sad. It was nice last year seeing people forced to serve and volley because it was actually useful.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

No tournaments have super fast courts anymore :smith:

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Basel is superquick and is crazy to watch sometimes. I love me some fast court tennis.

And that's the crazy thing about Djokovic, he has the game to destroy people on any surface. Now let's see if his shoulder will let him.

EDIT: It seems to be changed from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbMYYzT8c0

Miko fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2011

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey hey, show some respect to the "21 year old wild card dude"! Dude's name is Kei Nishikori, and he's the highest ranked Japanese player of all time. He's real talented, plays smart and very likely a future top 10 player.

He also made me an instant fan with this awesome play a few years ago when he upset James Blake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YuKruexcE

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Good to see Djokovic could make it to Paris to collect his massive bonus cheque. Dropped a set against Troicki today though.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Djokovic should just shut the season down if his shoulder is as bad as it seems to be. People may give him poo poo for it but they'll give him more poo poo for losing because of it. Hope Federer makes it through and wins this tournament since it's one of the few he never has.

Bandit Solution
May 6, 2007
Problem solving mixture.

Hijinkz posted:

Hey hey, show some respect to the "21 year old wild card dude"! Dude's name is Kei Nishikori, and he's the highest ranked Japanese player of all time. He's real talented, plays smart and very likely a future top 10 player.

He also made me an instant fan with this awesome play a few years ago when he upset James Blake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YuKruexcE

This happens quite a lot in amateur tennis around here. I think it's more effective because amateur guys have significantly worse footwork

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Was rooting for Federer but never thought he would whip the poo poo out of Berdych that easily. Federer looked liked how he used to with that crazy rear end forehand working overtime. Hope he can keep it up against Isner or Tsonga and take this title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Tsonga :ughh:

• Locked thread