Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
There's not another major until the french open, so this is a thread for me to talk about tennis. You can talk about tennis if you want to. Or don't. Whatever.

What's really important is Milos Raonic. He's playing in the finals of the SAP Open against either Verdasco or Del Potro. Raonic easily defeated Monfils by virtue of bravery to make it to his first final. He is the first Canadian to ever do anything of note, so we are all rooting for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Gomi Pile posted:

There's not another major until the french open, so this is a thread for me to talk about tennis. You can talk about tennis if you want to. Or don't. Whatever.

What's really important is Milos Raonic. He's playing in the finals of the SAP Open against either Verdasco or Del Potro. Raonic easily defeated Monfils by virtue of bravery to make it to his first final. He is the first Canadian to ever do anything of note, so we are all rooting for him.

I love tennis, but with Agassi out, and no American male dominance, it's hard for me to care about anything other than the majors. :(

I want Monfils to do well though, I like his style of play and his attitude.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Cheer for Raonic. He's teaching Canadians that attractive, affluent white people with silly last names can be successful if they put their mind to it.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Soderling/Tsonga set for the Rotterdam final. That should be a fun match.

Yossarian
Jun 23, 2003
I saw some of the match where Raonic played Ferrer in Australia. He lost in four sets, but in the first set Raonic looked awesome. His serve is unbelievably good. He was hitting his second serve in the 120s and sometimes up to 130 and making it consistently. I have never seen a second serve that hard. Even more, his groundstrokes and his touch at the net were really impressive. It's been a while since I've seen such a big, dominant server with such feathery net touch.

Ferrer eventually wore him down but there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a great player. Can't wait to watch him play some more.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I think he might be able to crack the top 40 this year. His overall game still has a lot of room for improvement, but his serve is just monstrous.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
I'll start following tennis besides the Grand Slams. Just subscribed to the Tennis Channel to follow the ATP/WTA tour throughout the year.

Rooting for Raonic to clinch the SAP Open title although Verdasco/Del Potro would not be an easy opponent by any stretch.

Dolgopolov is also on my radar to break through this year.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
i call him "dogpileoff" in an affectionate way but that is against the rules.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Clijsters just toying with Kanepi right now. She'll be number 1 again in the world by Monday.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Over/under on how many years it will take for an American male to win a singles slam title again? I think Roddick is done, John Isner I don't see as a serious slam contender. I don't know any other young Americans making a run in the Jr. circut or anything like that either. My guess is we are in for a long drought, US Open of '03 was the last time an American won a slam (Roddick). Unless Roddick has a magical run in the near future, it could be 5-10 more years until an American wins a major slam.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

HanabaL03 posted:

Over/under on how many years it will take for an American male to win a singles slam title again? I think Roddick is done, John Isner I don't see as a serious slam contender. I don't know any other young Americans making a run in the Jr. circut or anything like that either. My guess is we are in for a long drought, US Open of '03 was the last time an American won a slam (Roddick). Unless Roddick has a magical run in the near future, it could be 5-10 more years until an American wins a major slam.

an american will never win another slam on account of the fat kid thing. its over.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Verdasco vs. Raonic in tonight's SAP Open final. Raonic is well-rested following Gael's retirement from the tournament. Verdasco is seeking to defend his title. It should be a good match.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Raonic will win the first then lose the next two sets. But making the finals is huge.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
All in favor of a general tennis thread.

Lots of events are viewable on espn3.com. If I get the energy I'll write up a newbie guide to tennis (kind of like my crappy US Open first post if someone wants to just c/p the first parts).

Needs more Wozniacki:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Milos! :canada:

First Canadian title since 1995

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Zeeman posted:

Milos! :canada:

First Canadian title since 1995

Hasn't Daniel Nestor gotten some doubles first place finishes too? (Doubles doesn't really count much does it?)

:canada:

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Verdasco choked on the first set. Up 6-2 on the tiebreak, Raonic scored six straight points to steal the set. From that point on, it was lights out.

Congrats to Milos. He has clearly a bright future. And he's so fun to watch.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Slotducks posted:

Hasn't Daniel Nestor gotten some doubles first place finishes too? (Doubles doesn't really count much does it?)

:canada:

Yeah Nestor is the man when it comes to doubles (he's won all four grand slams and Olympic gold with various partners), but it's definitely way less high profile than the singles tour. So this is pretty exciting. It's not just that he won a tournament, he's accumulated some pretty major scalps since the start of the year, beating guys like Verdasco, Youzhny and Llodra.

Funny thing is, he plays Verdasco again in his very next match in the opening round of another tourney. Looking forward to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q&t=13s

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Gomi Pile posted:

Raonic will win the first then lose the next two sets. But making the finals is huge.

look how dumb you are

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Just wanted to come here and say that Petkovic is loving awesome.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Yay, a tennis thread! :neckbeard:

So these are the current ATP tournaments this week:

Regions Morgan Keegan Championships

Where: Memphis, Tennessee
Surface: Indoor Hard
Prize Money: $1,100,000

Top Seed: Andy Roddick
Defending Champion: Sam Querrey

Open 13

Where: Marseille, France
Surface: Indoor Hard
Prize Money: 576,000 Euros

Top Seed: Robin Soderling
Defending Champion: Michael Llodra

Copa Claro

Where: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Surface: Clay
Prize Money: $478,900

Top Seed: Nicolas Almagro
Defending Champion: Juan Carlos Ferrero (not playing)

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

HanabaL03 posted:

I want Monfils to do well though, I like his style of play and his attitude.

You like his attitude? Monfils has some neat athleticism, but he plays the dumbest tactics possible and then when things start to go poorly, he basically gives up. People have been on the Monfils train since 2005. I think it's about time to give up. Same with Gasquet.

HanabaL03 posted:

I wouldn't say Roddick is done. He's only 28 and plays about the same as he always has and Wimbledon 2009 wasn't that long ago. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for him, but he's still got a shot.

Isner is too tall to ever really have a chance. He's basically Karlovic 2.0. Really good serve thanks to height, but lovely movement and groundstrokes, thanks to height.

Querrey has a better chance in my opinion, but I'm thinking he'll probably just stick around 15-20 in rankings, occasionally making a quarterfinal or even semis run.

As far as prospects go, people had hope for Donald Young as a former number 1 Juniors player, but after 3 years or so at the pro level, it's looking like he just doesn't have the power to make a dent at that level. Ryan Harrison has some promise as another player who did well in Juniors and he beat Ljubicic last year at the US Open at the age of 18, but it's too early to tell.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Raonic vill battle Verdasco once again tomorrow at Memphis. Revenge game for Nando perhaps?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Best thing about tennis:

Roger Federer (aged 29) is "over the hill."

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Milos defeated Verdasco again in a nailbiter. A 3rd set tiebreaker decided the match. Verdasco hasn't won a set against Milos when it reaches a tiebreaker. The kid's got major nerves.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
forget cracking the top 40 this year. that kid will be top 40 by june.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=354200

quote:

A frustrated Verdasco, who was the No. 2 seed in Memphis, lamented having to play the hard-serving Raonic twice in conditions that favour his game and not Verdasco's.

"For me that's not a real match in tennis," Verdasco said. "I hope to play soon against him in clay court to show him what it is to play tennis, and play rallies, and run, and not only serve."
:qq: go practice yelling at your fist in front of the mirror some more

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I know he's pissed, but that's the most :qq: quote I've ever heard.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

On the topic of promising young Canadian players, Rebecca Marino has made the semis on the women's side at Memphis. There don't seem to be many big names playing in this tourney on the women's side (most of them are in Dubai), but it would still be a pretty nice feather in her cap to win her first WTA title. I've only seen her play once when she gave Venus a really good match at the US Open, but she's another player whose serve is a huge weapon.

Anyways good times for Canadian tennis!

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Milos is in another dogfight this time against Radek Stepanek. He was serving for the match earlier but couldn't convert it. Stepanek then made a lucky shot to force a 3rd set. This should be fun.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Milos is basically Pete Sampras.

Whether he's got the mental game to go with it, still remains to be seen.

EDIT: MILOS with another 3rd set tiebreak win.

Miko fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 17, 2011

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Raonic won again in tiebreaker fashion. He decimated Stepanek in the last TB. When the going gets tough, the kid rises to the occasion. Balls of steel indeed.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Watching Del Potro v Dodig in Memphis. Del Potro looking pretty good, seems to be hitting the ball harder again and has good depth on his groundstrokes. Hopefully he can get more confidence over the year and have a shot at cracking the top 20 :unsmith:.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

I am going to spam the poo poo out of my facebook feed with this

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Milos vs. Robert Kendrick is on right now. Milos currently has the lead in the 1st set, 5-3.

edit: Milos is rolling. Another three-set win for him. He will now battle the winner of the Querrey/Fish match-up in the semifinals.

Demented Guy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 18, 2011

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Pretty good match between Mardy Fish and Milos tomorrow. I wonder if Milos can still pull through after three straight three-setters. He will be surely tested tomorrow as Mardy is no pushover.

edit: Del Potro is looking good. He has a great chance to win this tournament.

Demented Guy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 19, 2011

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Great game going on now between Fish and Milos. Already on the first game of the third set. It's on Tennis Channel.

edit: Milos blazes through the Final, 6-4,4-6,6-3. I'm hoping for a Delpo-Milos final. It's gonna be great to see.

Demented Guy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 19, 2011

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:hellyeah:

Daniel Nestor and his partner made the doubles final as well so aside from women's doubles we've got Canadians in all the finals :canada: Marino's match is tonight I think.

Roddick is up a set on Del Potro at the moment, there's a live ticker thingy here: http://www.protennislive.com/framesetperp.asp?lang=en&ref=www.atpworldtour.com

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I was hoping Del Potro would be able to pull this one out and win a tourny but it's not looking good for him. It's nice to see him making semis and playing again though so thats still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

Milos forcing a third set. Wow. He's not getting rattled at all.

• Locked thread