Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man I feel so bad for Del Po. He already missed a whole year with this same surgery on the other wrist. He just last year got back to being the 09 Open winner.

I have to say I find Miami to be one of the most boring tournaments. A hard court that plays as slow as this one looks like it does is just boring. I can forgive a clay court for it most times because at least then the guys slide a lot more and the courts are expected to be slow. Slow hard courts are just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic all playing this morning at Monte Carlo. Get on your WatchESPN!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Hi all, looking for some pointers on getting back into the game.

Are Browning racquets any good? I hit fairly flat which is something they can handle according to a 7 year old review I saw online.

Otherwise what is good for 50 quid? Wilson pro limited blx is reduced on Amazon but I don't know how good that is. Head size is only 100 inches (I am an L2 grip).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ferrer just took the first set from Nadal 7-6(1) :stare:

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
And then the match...

Tsonga just broke Federer in the first.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Final's about to start. It's strange to say it but I actually think Wawrinka's got this, though I've underestimated Federer in the past and was proven wrong.

edit: One title from four finals this year is a pretty bad return for Federer, although granted just making finals is a big improvement on last year. It's too bad, though, he lets leads slip really often. Will likely never get another shot at Monte Carlo.

I'm happy for Wawrinka, though.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 20, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I wanted so much for Federer to get his first Monte Carlo title but Wawrinka just out played him when it mattered. I wish Federer was winning more of these finals but well at least it's not like last year. Maybe he'll get Wimbledon or the US Open and all these smaller titles that he's missing out on won't matter as much.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

Well, Nadal...

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
poo poo, did he really just lose to Almagro?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Man Nadal is not having a good time right now. Loses to Ferrer on clay for the first time in a decade and then turns around and loses for the first time ever to headcase Almagro. Nadal will probably still go on to crush at the rest of the clay tournaments but maybe he won't just own everything like he used to. It would be nice to see more challengers on clay than just Djokovic and Nadal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I saw new 3 posts in this thread in my User CP and thought, "What would people post about today? I wonder if Nadal lost..."

:negative:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Anyone else watching Madrid? Nishikori v Ferrer just ended, was absolutely titanic. Nishikori needed 10 match points to finally wrap it up. I'm really impressed with his composure on court, he's obviously been playing great this year but it really looks like he's going to become a mainstay of the top 10 from now on.

Considering this was three hours and that he's not been physically 100% since his previous match it's tough to imagine the final against Rafa isn't a foregone conclusion, though.

Also would love Halep to beat Sharapova in the women's final.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Man what a disappointing way for the Nishikori/Nadal match to end. Nishikori was doing well and was up a set and a break and then got hurt after Nadal wrong footed him. Nadal may have gotten this title but he hasn't looked great at all for a while now and probably should have lost this match or at least had it go to a tight third set.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Buantora or whatever his name is pushed him hard too then made a lot of unforced errors, but that's Hong Kong betting syndicates for you

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I kind of want Nadal to get bageled by Murray on clay just so I can someday say "I was there"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was wondering if this thread would get any action. I've been hanging out on TT.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Buddy Holly posted:

I kind of want Nadal to get bageled by Murray on clay just so I can someday say "I was there"

I would be so happy if my least favorite player ever got bageled by my second least favorite player ever. I am not even kidding.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I would be so happy if my least favorite player ever got bageled by my second least favorite player ever. I am not even kidding.
:hf: we think alike, you and I

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Milos :getin:

He'll lose to Djokovic but making the semi at a big clay tournament is still cool.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I made a RG thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636678

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

drat, Lopez's grass court game was a joy to watch in knocking out Berdych just now. Sublime serving and great hands at the net.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Fed vs Murray AND Masha vs Halep at the same time!!! :parrot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

US Open thread up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659466

soc10path
May 14, 2013
Is there a thread for tennis players (not just spectators)? My apologies, but I haven't found anything on YLLS or here for people working on their game.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
I think there was a YLLS thread that died within 15 posts, this thread's probably your best bet on SA. Or if you're feeling up to braving the wilds, the tennis-warehouse.com forum has a bunch of discussion about actually playing.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

HONG KONG (AP) Top-seeded Samantha Stosur was the most notable among the five seeds to lose in first-round action at the Guangzhou Open on Tuesday.

The 2011 U.S. Open champion fell to Chinese wild card Wang Yafan 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. Stosur won only two of her 11 break points, while Wang, ranked 251st, 231 spots below Stosur, took four of her six chances.

Also ousted were No. 3 Sloane Stephens of the U.S., No. 4 Bojana Jovanovski of Serbia, No. 5 Zarina Diyas of Kazakhstan for the first time in three matches against 220th-ranked qualifier Zhang Ling of Hong Kong, and No. 7 Jana Cepelova of Slovakia, to 259th-ranked qualifier Zhang Kai-Lin of China.

Of the tournament's eight seeds, only No. 2 Alize Cornet of France, a winner on Monday, advanced to the second round.

WTA.txt

Mommyblog Mindy
Apr 6, 2012

power is power

stranger danger posted:

I think there was a YLLS thread that died within 15 posts, this thread's probably your best bet on SA. Or if you're feeling up to braving the wilds, the tennis-warehouse.com forum has a bunch of discussion about actually playing.

Tennis warehouse people are too serious

Someone please make a tennis player thread so we can argue over proper forehand grips, sandbagging, and ntrp.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Li Na retired. :( Too many knee problems, apparently. Glad she managed to win a second major this year, at least.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Li Na retired. :( Too many knee problems, apparently. Glad she managed to win a second major this year, at least.
The most hilarious part about the situation is that the WTA wrangled a bunch of nice sponsors to put a Premiere 5 tournament in Wuhan, her hometown, starting this year, but she's never going to play in it. WTA is so incompetent.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well she had been playing fine and was good enough to win a Slam this year, it wasn't the most unreasonable decision to push harder on the Chinese market. Not predicting a wild career-ending injury isn't exactly incompetence.

Wuhan final's going to be a Wimbledon rematch. I'd be surprised if Bouchard got shellacked as hard this time, she's actually been playing better this tournament

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
:china:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKGeZsMwowE

Petra's speech at 11:40. "We will miss you, champion." :cry:

drat shame we won't see Li Na on the tennis court anymore, she's awesome in every way.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Sky blue, water wet, Fognini fined.

quote:

SHANGHAI (AP) Fabio Fognini of Italy has been fined $2,000 for flashing an obscene gesture at the crowd after crashing out to a 553rd-ranked Chinese wild card at the Shanghai Masters.

The No. 17-ranked Fognini showed his middle finger to the crowd as he left the stadium following his 7-6 (5), 6-4 loss to Wang Chuhan in the first round on Tuesday. He also gave Wang a shove with his elbow after the two shook hands at the net.

The Italian is routinely fined for his bad behavior on the court. He received fines totaling $27,500 at Wimbledon this year for unsportsmanlike conduct and showing a visible obscenity during his first-round match.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Nadal's finally decided to stop putting off the appendix surgery and called it quits for the year. I predict a resurgence in the clay court season. Guess this means Murray's safe for the WTF now?

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Murray beat Robredo in the Shenzen final a month ago after saving five championship points. He saved five more in today's Valencia final. Robredo's response:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That was pretty much the perfect way to cap off a pretty crazy and intense match.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Milos beat Federer for the first time ever :getin: Actually his first win against any of the Big 3.

It's gonna be down to the wire between him, Ferrer and Nishikori to see who gets the last two spots in the tour finals (assuming no one else drops out). Ferrer and Nishikori are playing in the last quarterfinal at Paris right now.

e: apparently if Nishikori wins then both he and Raonic are into the tour finals and Ferrer is out. If Ferrer wins then I think Milos has to at least win his semi against Berdych.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 31, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Nishikori won! :pcgaming:

ATP tour finals lineup is set: Djokovic, Federer, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Murray, Berdych, Raonic, Cilic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Berdych is such a joke, I would say that he was my most hated player on either tour but that would require caring enough about him to hate him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate Ferrer, because he's Spanish, and seems to exist to knock out players I like in major tournaments, before rolling over for Nadal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djoker/Cilic should be very interesting if Marin is on his game.

edit: :lol: nope

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 10, 2014

• Locked thread