Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Nadal doing quite well on grass so far. In the Stuttgart final v Troicki right now, could be a good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
It should be an interesting grass court season, though since Nadal struggled on clay I have a hard time seeing him making a big run at Wimbledon. Any thoughts on which current top players the surface favors? It's not clear to me how fast the grass is any more compared to hard courts, and I've never played on grass anyway.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

I think it's the lower bounce that's the main adjustment issue on grass, and Federer/Murray are regarded as the most natural grass court players.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Resonance posted:

I think it's the lower bounce that's the main adjustment issue on grass, and Federer/Murray are regarded as the most natural grass court players.
Yeah, while I'd love for Wawrinka to take the title, the lower bounce/fast courts are a problem for his more extreme grip and need for time to setup a shot. Especially when he's extended on either wing, he hits these pseudo squash shots that will be punished by all the players coming into net.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Great semi-finals in Eastbourne today, Aga v Sloane and Woz v Bencic.

So nice to see Aga playing good tennis again. Had a slow start today and faced 10 BPs in her first 2 service games. Up 4-1 now

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Aga fighting for her life against Bencic. Fantastic match by the swiss so far.

E: however this ends it will be a huge boost for Aga before Wimbledon. She's back! 3d set coming up..
E2: completely out of gas early in the third. Not so great just before Wimbledon.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 27, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have US Open tickets they can sell me for a good price? I'm looking for either Aug 31st or on the weekend. The best I'm seeing is a Friday evening ticket for $60, but I'd rather not go in the evening if I can.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Holy shiit it's hard to watch Genie right now. Lost 1st set 0-6 against Bencic in front of her home crowd. She has absolutely NOTHING.

You would think she would try to slow her game down a bit, try to keep the ball in play and find some rythm but no, she just kept bashing and hitting balls long and wide all set.

Edit: and now Genie is up a break in 2nd :iiam:

Edit2: As awful as Genie was in the first set, Bencic played great. Kinda sad to see the canadian crowd give no recognition to that. You could hear a pin drop when Bencic wins a point.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 12, 2015

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fancyclown posted:

Holy shiit it's hard to watch Genie right now. Lost 1st set 0-6 against Bencic in front of her home crowd. She has absolutely NOTHING.

You would think she would try to slow her game down a bit, try to keep the ball in play and find some rythm but no, she just kept bashing and hitting balls long and wide all set.

Edit: and now Genie is up a break in 2nd :iiam:

Edit2: As awful as Genie was in the first set, Bencic played great. Kinda sad to see the canadian crowd give no recognition to that. You could hear a pin drop when Bencic wins a point.
Why is that sad?

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
Does she still have an army?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's the Bencic Brigade now

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Why is that sad?

Oh I don't know. It's nice to show some appreciation for someone playing good tennis?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fancyclown posted:

Oh I don't know. It's nice to show some appreciation for someone playing good tennis?
It's the most popular face in Canadian women's tennis by a factor of a billion vs. some person they've never heard of in their lives, and it's precisely how every other country would handle it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Nick Kyrgios really needs to learn to shut the gently caress up and play tennis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Imo tennis needs more players who don't know how to shut the hell up. Also fewer Spainards,

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Alain Post posted:

Imo tennis needs more players who don't know how to shut the hell up.

And more commentators who do.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nick needs to get better at insults... unless what he said is true which I don't think it is. Stan dumped his wife and child, surely there's plenty of material there.

Like Azarenka said, don't say that near the microphone!

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Nick faces Isner next on Banque Nationale.

In the meantime, have a gif of Yoshihito Nishioka from last night in the Aptos Challenger:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Alain Post posted:

Imo tennis needs more players who don't know how to shut the hell up. Also fewer Spainards,

It's pretty funny how ol Nicky boy is actively torpedoing his career. He had all the makings off the next Pat Rafter - I.E rich as poo poo and a permanent fixture in the sport who will have a high paying job until the day he drops dead. Australians love an aussie battler and the guy is like the poster child of someone who rises from nothing to become a world beater.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

fancyclown posted:

Nick faces Isner next on Banque Nationale.

In the meantime, have a gif of Yoshihito Nishioka from last night in the Aptos Challenger:

I'm okay with a Nishikori/Stan the Man domination for 5 years once the other big 4 slow down... only Djoko to go :getin: and I guess Murray, but I don't follow him much because gently caress that guy

I still love Milos and hope he wins one Grand Slam at least, but every loving time he chokes and I don't see it happening without some major streak+injuries to others. Nishi is the best :3:

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Bencic and Murray Nocks of the Light.

Serena beasting the open to the match.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 15, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Serena-about-to-be-destroyed alert!

Well, it was, when Serena was down 1-5 and Bencic was about to serve

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 16, 2015

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
That was a great match.

Dido.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 16, 2015

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Bencic has beaten Bouchard, Wozniacki, Lisicki, Ivanovic and Serena to get to the final. That's some run.

Nishikori didn't deserve to get booed, there was something wrong with him and everyone knows he's made of glass.

Harrison and Kokkinakis had a handbags moment in a Cincy qualifying match :laugh:

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Sodium Chloride posted:

Harrison and Kokkinakis had a handbags moment in a Cincy qualifying match :laugh:
@BenRothenberg
"He's 19. If he wants to get into it, I will bury him. Wawrinka should've decked Kyrgios, and I should deck that kid." -Ryan Harrison

End of 1st set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCqHQ4O9iQ

Handshake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opc08A8l5aM

Halep v Bencic will be a great final. Bencic on a serious roll, amazing tournament for her.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I don't know who Ryan Harrison is but he's my new tennis hero.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Halep can barely move now :(
Bencic choke the match winning break away. 5-5.

If Halep somehow wins this 2nd set I can't see her play through and take the 3rd. 2 hours played already

EDIT: Bencic has however played matches for like 6 straight days and counting yesterdays match + today = 4 and a half hour so far. Can't blame her for being a bit mentally fried in the heat.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 16, 2015

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

oliwan posted:

lol I don't know who Ryan Harrison is but he's my new tennis hero.

He's a guy who has been pulled up for acting like a wanker. Nearly got kicked off the 2012 US Olympic team. Is ranked 124th. Lost the match. He should just shut up really.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I eagerly await Genie's loss to a qualifier.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Murray drawn against Kyrgios in US open first round. Hopefully Kyrgios will decide he wants to play some tennis and we'll end up with some sort of match.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Sharapova withdraws from the US Open. drat, i was looking forward to see the 1st round against Daria.

Will there be a lucky loser or how does it work?

Also, who's making the thread yo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Serena coverage is going to be nauseating. Good god.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fancyclown posted:

Sharapova withdraws from the US Open. drat, i was looking forward to see the 1st round against Daria.

Will there be a lucky loser or how does it work?

Also, who's making the thread yo?
Sorry, been busy with the new Diablo 3 season. Thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739345

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol kokkinakis took too much cocaine

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is there no thread (YLLS?) for playing tennis? I looked around a little.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
There's a piece on Real Tennis up on the New Yorker website:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/the-antique-sport-of-real-tennis-and-the-woman-who-dominates-it?intcid=mod-latest

quote:

Though scored like lawn tennis—love, fifteen, thirty, forty, deuce, etc.—real tennis has a dizzying assortment of additional rules that can make the sport difficult for casual viewers to comprehend. Take the “chase,” for example. When a ball bounces twice, a point isn’t necessarily awarded. Instead, the ball’s second bounce on the ground is noted, and, once the players have switched sides, the point is replayed, and the receiving player tries to place a second bounce closer to the back wall than his or her opponent did.

The court, meanwhile, is lined with potential traps. There are sloping roofs above three of the four walls, for instance: you can hit the ball off of these. There are windows you can hit the ball into, a move that forces a variety of outcomes. Players like to say that real tennis is a mix of squash, lawn tennis, and chess, because of the seemingly limitless situations that can arise during a game.

And here's a Real Tennis match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zubhTGEyPGg

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is there no thread (YLLS?) for playing tennis? I looked around a little.
I'm curious as well but I've never found one. Please let me know if you find something.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xabi posted:

I'm curious as well but I've never found one. Please let me know if you find something.
Doesn't look like there is one, but Shine said it didn't need to be a comprehensive megathread or anything so I might post one. I'm a beginner and am just curious to share tips/resources/questions.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Murray showing more emotion in winning the Davis Cup than in either of his majors or Olympic gold, think he really loves the team element. Great last point too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Doesn't look like there is one, but Shine said it didn't need to be a comprehensive megathread or anything so I might post one. I'm a beginner and am just curious to share tips/resources/questions.

Along with this, I'm looking at getting back to playing after a several year hiatus. What racket should I get for under, say, $100?

• Locked thread