Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Yay, a tennis thread! :neckbeard:

So these are the current ATP tournaments this week:

Regions Morgan Keegan Championships

Where: Memphis, Tennessee
Surface: Indoor Hard
Prize Money: $1,100,000

Top Seed: Andy Roddick
Defending Champion: Sam Querrey

Open 13

Where: Marseille, France
Surface: Indoor Hard
Prize Money: 576,000 Euros

Top Seed: Robin Soderling
Defending Champion: Michael Llodra

Copa Claro

Where: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Surface: Clay
Prize Money: $478,900

Top Seed: Nicolas Almagro
Defending Champion: Juan Carlos Ferrero (not playing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Watching Del Potro v Dodig in Memphis. Del Potro looking pretty good, seems to be hitting the ball harder again and has good depth on his groundstrokes. Hopefully he can get more confidence over the year and have a shot at cracking the top 20 :unsmith:.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

For those of you that are interested in last weeks tournament results:

Regions Morgan Keegan Championships
Where: Memphis, Tennessee

Champion: Andy Roddick

Open 13
Where: Marseille, France

Champion: Robin Soderling

Copa Claro
Where: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Champion: Nicolas Almagro

This week we have:

Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

Where: Dubai, UAE
Surface: Hard
Prize Money: $1,619,500

Top Seed: Roger Federer
Defending Champion: Novak Djokovic

Abierto Mexicano Telcel

Where: Acapulco, Mexico
Surface: Clay
Prize Money: $1,100,000

Top Seed: David Ferrer
Defending Champion: David Ferrer

Delray Beach International Tennis Championships

Where: Delray Beach, Florida
Surface: Hard
Prize Money: $442,500

Top Seed: Andy Roddick
Defending Champion: Ernests Gulbis (not playing)

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Federer played absolutely god awful that match, so if he continues that level of play then Djokovic might be ranked ahead of him as soon as Monte Carlo in April.

In other news Del Potro is in his first final since 2009 at Delray Beach :unsmith:.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

The wrist kiss was awesome :3:. That win will mean the world to Del Potro, hopefully he'll get into the top 30 by year end.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

The record for fastest serve has been broken this weekend!

Previous Record - Andy Roddick 155mph
New Record - Ivo Karlovic 156mph

:toot:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Karlovic just put Ferrer out in straight sets :toot:

Now Nadal doesn't have any excuses to not make the semi's. Del Potro v Ljubicic is pretty boring right now.

Edit - Ahahahaha, Donald Young beats Murray in straight sets.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 13, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyone picking up Top Spin 4? I played the demo and liked it a lot. I might grab it with my next paycheck.

Yeah I'll be picking it up on Friday. I liked that you have to pay more attention to timing and position now, plus there's always the upside of beating down video game Murray and Nadal.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

So I've been playing Top Spin 4 and all was going well until I got to the Monte Carlo quarters and had my rear end beaten by James Blake :negative:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Yossarian posted:

I guess Rodger is ranked number 3 now? When was the last time he wasn't 1 or 2?

Last July after Wimbledon. I hope that Federer starts getting his act together but I don't think he will, at least he can just focus on his doubles match now :unsmith:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Murray just got a beat down by Bogomolov Jr. 6-1 7-5. This is getting hilariously pathetic.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

This match loving sucks and I hope that people who don't usually watch tennis don't think that all matches are like this.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Can't believe that I stayed up until 1:30am to watch it. The clay season doesn't look bright for Federer, especially if Djokovic and Nadal keep their form.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Now the real test for Nadal begins, he has essentially 7000 points to defend until August.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

Murray is putting a strong showing right now and he might actually have the momentum to not choke it all away per usual!

Haha, so much for that. If he played better in the first set he could have won in straights.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

So Raonic is playing Verdasco on clay in Estoril today, it'd be pretty funny if Verdasco lost after what he said a few months ago.

Also Del Potro in another final and is pretty much guaranteed to be seeded for Roland Garros :3:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I've been watching but Madrid plays so much faster than the other clay court tournaments that it gets a bit uninteresting after so many aces. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them but when I watch clay court tennis I'm expecting long gruelling rallies and not points that are over in 3-4 shots.

I'm looking forward to Rome next week a lot more. Also hope that Del Potro's injury isn't serious, he doesn't deserve to get another one after working so hard to get back :smith:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Miko posted:

You can't wait for Roland Garros, then, can you?

I love Roland Garros and 3-4 hour matches :getin:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

mistermojo posted:

So what is it going to take for Djokovic to be ranked #1? Winning the French Open?

It depends on a lot of different factors, but off the top of my head if he gets to the final he'll be number one regardless of what Nadal does. If he gets to the semi's and Nadal either loses the final or earlier then Djokovic will be number one.

As long as he makes a deep run then he should be alright for it, I'm curious to see if he imploded like Ivanovic did when she became number one.

Fair play to Djokovic though, I didn't expect him to still be unbeaten this year but he deserves it with how good he has been playing, it's going to be a fun start of the year for him in 2012 though :stare:.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

gently caress yes, the French Open starts on Sunday. Isner vs. Nadal. Seems like a very hard opening match for the #1 overall seed. Speaking of #1 seed, how the hell isn't Djokovic the top seeded player?

I think that Karlovic would have been a harder match than Isner for Nadal. Djokovic isn't the top seeded player because the seedings are based on rankings and Djokovic isn't number 1 yet. Also Nadal has won Roland Garros 5 times in the past 6 years so he would deserve to be the #1 seed anyway.

Are we going to start a new thread or just discuss the french open in here?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I'll make a new thread for it later on if no one else has. I was looking at the french open draw earlier on and I was stunned to see Tommy Haas in the draw, I had no idea he was back! :haw:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

As good of a season that Djokovic has had, it's a shame he couldn't set a record for it. He's 13 wins away from equalling Federer's 81-4 but I can't see it happening.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

No tournaments have super fast courts anymore :smith:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Tsonga :ughh:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Federer :unsmith:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I will be very sad when Federer does retire, he is good to have for the sport.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Well that was a quick set.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I never thought I'd ever see Mardy Fish or Janko Tipsarevic playing at a World Tour Finals event.

I'd probably laugh at the suggestion 2 years + ago.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

C'mon Roger! :unsmigghh:

Edit: Hell yeah, immediate break in the second set.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 22, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Oh man :flashfap:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

It's nice to see Ferrer doing well in this tournament, I think he's my favourite to watch of all the spaniards because while he might not be the most versatile player he always gives it his best and has the right attitude.

:unsmith:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I have faith, and I think that Federer does want to win this based on his performances.

But I remember that in 2009 he played Davydenko in the semi's who has never beaten him before at that point and lost, so I am going to be cautious about Ferrer today.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

This match has been terrible to watch so far.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

At least that's over. Federer better play better tomorrow or he might get blown off the court.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Federer v Tsonga for the title. I like that the first singles match of the tournament features the same players as the last.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Nervous as poo poo for this first set :ohdear:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

What a loving point.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Well that set went better than expected.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I swear, if Fed fails to serve this out again...:argh:

• Locked thread