Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Bandit Solution posted:

My experiences with a K90 (previous paint job of Federer's current racquet):

I've used the Wilson K90 for about three years and it is clearly less forgiving than a larger player's racquet. Hitting with a midplus seems to even out the timing imperfections on your shots: With the K90 there's a much bigger difference between striking the ball sweetly, which is like heaven, and timing the ball imperfectly, where it will often drop very short.

I have no doubt that if I with my K90 were to play against a clone of myself with a midplus the clone with the midplus would win most of the time.

Both Djokovic and Nadal use racquets with 100sq inch heads. Taking huge swings with powerful racquets and spin friendly strings is the future of tennis. I love Federer so it pains to see him being left behind.

This is going to be like Sampras using a Pro Staff original from the early 80s for his entire career isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Watching the Eastbourne International right now, Serena looks amazingly rusty. Just lost the first set against Pironkova 6-1.

Edit: She got through in the end, but at no point looked very comfortable. Hopefully she'll get another match or three to prepare for Wimbledon.

spamman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2011

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Resonance posted:

Serena looked absolutely exhausted when she lost to Zvonareva. Venus out today as well. Quite possible that they'll get embarrassed in the first week at Wimbledon.

Thing with Serena was that she was playing a lot better until she ran out of gas. Easily the better player on the court until near the end of the 2nd, and still managed to find something in the third to make it interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it past the opening few matches, particularly with the extra day you get between matches at a grand slam.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Man, Federer worked pretty hard to get through that one.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

If tradition matters so much we can always speed Wimbledon back up and put the Aus Open back on grass....

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

As long as he is still happy to play and isn't risking health issues, I don't see why he should retire.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

What an idiot.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah, got to feel for the poor line judge. He can't have seen it coming.

I mean at least when Marc Rosset punched a wall in the final of the Hopman Cup he didn't hurt anyone else (He broke his hand and had to withdraw from the Aus Open though).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rosset-hands-hopman-cup-win-to-croatia-1322903.html

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Also, I'd like to add that it's important not to get suckered in by drop shots and down the line winners unless they are the obvious option. By this I mean that you shouldn't really try drop shots unless you are well inside the baseline (As a beginner, perhaps closer) and your opponent is behind the baseline and ideally on the other side of the court to where you hit it. In terms of down the line winners, if you are in a cross court rally with someone then you really need to make sure you are in a really comfortable position to play the shot and that you don't have to hit it really hard to get a winning shot.

It can be amazingly tempting in the middle of a point to just try and end it with one shot, and while it may work sometimes it'll hurt your game in the long run by introducing fairly lazy habits (That I am as guilty of as anyone).

Also adding that the ball toss is amazingly important for a serve. I've just started playing again after having one of my fingers reconstructed, and I can't get a consistent toss any more. A really important thing to remember is that you don't have to hit every toss. If you've screwed it up and you have to reach from side to side or behind you to hit it, or it's too low, just leave it to bounce or catch it and try it again. Your opponent won't mind (Especially since you're a beginner) and you don't want to introduce weird kinks in your serve to compensate for a bad toss.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Olympic Tennis finals are on the 4th and 5th.

See colonel_korn's awesome thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3496804

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Up Circle posted:

this sport lmao just lmao.

I dread the day when we find out what roger takes.

Hopefully we find out what Federer is on sooner rather than later. Rip it off like a band aid.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Ha. At least it's always something different.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Buddy Holly posted:

Only 3 if he gets therapy!

That's probably not a terrible idea. He has really seemed unhappy and volatile recently.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

To be fair, tour finals aren't even best of five. I'm happy for Murray, he had such a strange start to the year and it's good to see him get some wins.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Wow, what an effort. Broken finger in the fifth set and all.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Cigar Aficionado posted:

So Fed's on HGH, right?

Amongst other things no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

That's pretty nuts.

• Locked thread