Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbably Sexy
Dec 25, 2008

Klyith posted:

The number of quests that require carrying an item around is just a giant gently caress you to non-spellcasters.

I agree that this is majorly annoying, but don't forget that, in most cases, you can drop the item before a fight starts and just pick it up again when you're ready to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Except in D'Alessio Seaboard.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I'll take an invite as Drunk On Tasty Beer

Really I'll probably only be spending most of my game time collecting stuff for GW2

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

gently caress, guess ANet's gonna get another :10bux: from me since I don't want to delete any of my characters to make a Pre-Searing one, and I always keep a PvP slot open.

LDoA seems pretty easy to achieve, it just needs patience. If each quest is 1,000 exp, then you can get it about 100 days after getting to level 10, and it should be less because the monsters give exp too. Not bad if all you care about is getting a title before GW2 comes out.

Doing the quest everyday should be, what, 10 minutes max?

I'm presuming, since apparently the foes will also be scaled to your level, that you might be able to repeatedly take and abandon the quest just to farm enemies, so you could probably get it done in far less time. I'm definitely rolling a new pre-searing character for this, might try a profession I haven't really played before.

e: Send an invite to Rasp Melthor, please.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 6, 2011

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ok, decided I'm going to shoot for 45 HoM points after all. If you have any zkeys, I'll buy them at 5.5K each or 18 for 100k. IGN Themy Scira.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
I'll sell you 10, but they're on my alt account so if you can trade the money to my main account that'd be nice

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding
Aw great. My Gigabyte mobo wont post, and I can't get a new one until wednesday. I just want kill stuff with my singing para-discordnecro hero team. :(

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011
Does anyone have any advice for the drat elite areas? I'm just three titles away from 45 HoM points and I just need to finish any 3 of the 6 elite areas. I'm usually grouping with experienced people from my alliance, but somehow everytime the group seems to end up wiping. I'm pretty tempted to just pay someone 75k to run me through the drat thing.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

If your allies know what they're doing, just keep at it. Otherwise, wait a couple of weeks and I bet there'll be some 7 hero builds for you to try.

oneangrydwarf
Mar 1, 2004

aka euphony

Aelesia posted:

Does anyone have any advice for the drat elite areas? I'm just three titles away from 45 HoM points and I just need to finish any 3 of the 6 elite areas. I'm usually grouping with experienced people from my alliance, but somehow everytime the group seems to end up wiping. I'm pretty tempted to just pay someone 75k to run me through the drat thing.

Discordway + SoS + 2 paragons + Panic can clear FoW in 90 minutes. Just bring a few hard res skills and watch aggro, nothing in FoW is particularly difficult as long as you know what to do (i.e., don't kill the wailing lord and dont let Rastigan die, etc). I don't think they'll come up with a 7 hero build for underworld, unless it includes an insane amount of micromanagement because of the four horsemen quest.

Similarly, we used to do discord teams for The Deep and Urgoz before 7 heroes, I'm sure you can do it now. You need to make specific modifications to the builds but we cleared each several times with 3 humans + heroes. The deep is actually insanely easy with discord, only the boss is tricky. Urgoz is slightly more difficult, but still very doable. The old (Prophecies/Factions) endgame areas dropped noticeably in difficulty with the NF and GW:EN power creep.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

oneangrydwarf posted:

The deep is actually insanely easy with discord, only the boss is tricky.
If you're a warrior, remember to take off your gloves when you get to the boss. :smug:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Anyone want a pre-searing Northlands hunting buddy? I just hit level 8 and trying to find people in town to go north who don't want you to just warp out immediately is becoming a pain. I figure having someone to go back and forth with and sharing the XP is going to be easier than repeatedly going back to town and trying to solo.

Rasp Melthor still needs a guild invite too.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Roflex posted:

Anyone want a pre-searing Northlands hunting buddy? I just hit level 8 and trying to find people in town to go north who don't want you to just warp out immediately is becoming a pain. I figure having someone to go back and forth with and sharing the XP is going to be easier than repeatedly going back to town and trying to solo.

Rasp Melthor still needs a guild invite too.

invited you someone else invited you / i will farm xp in Northlands with you

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I have always wanted to play through all the PvE in this game.

That being said, assuming I have a new account - what is the best way to solo everything story related?

Which class should I create? Should I go through eye of the north first to unlock the heroes? What party build should I make? How do I get the skills I need for my build (at one point I was making a solo necro minion master and I was missing more then half of the skills needed, had to capture them I think)? Should I focus on leveling multiple 20's and using all of them with the new thing you can buy to use your characters as mercs? Can you use pvp chars as mercs, allowing me to immediately assigned a skill pvp package to them etc.

I just wanna solo storyline and do hall of monuments poo poo until GW2 hits, really surprised I have not found a guide specifically detailing how to do all of this yet.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

Jae posted:

I just wanna solo storyline and do hall of monuments poo poo until GW2 hits, really surprised I have not found a guide specifically detailing how to do all of this yet.
Yeah, try googling "guild wars massive fun spoiler guide."

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011
I tried Urgoz again tonight with my guild. Our leader made us use Blushway but somehow we all kinda sucked and resigned halfway. Honestly our Randomway build yesterday got us all much much further. Anyway I'm just gonna pay someone to run an elite area for me because I'm just one title away.

Aelesia fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 8, 2011

oneangrydwarf
Mar 1, 2004

aka euphony

Jae posted:

Which class should I create? Should I go through eye of the north first to unlock the heroes? What party build should I make? How do I get the skills I need for my build (at one point I was making a solo necro minion master and I was missing more then half of the skills needed, had to capture them I think)? Should I focus on leveling multiple 20's and using all of them with the new thing you can buy to use your characters as mercs? Can you use pvp chars as mercs, allowing me to immediately assigned a skill pvp package to them etc.

Most of the answers to these questions are in the OP but:

1) Play whatever profession you like, but each one does have a role that suits it best. Don't bother with minions as a human IMO - they require an insane amount of micromanagement and if you're playing with heroes you need to be the one making decisions. (Although this is better now than ever thanks to the minion control bar, it's still not very fun). Yes, get heroes.

2) Assuming you have access to a skill (ie you own the chapter that it came with) then you need to capture elite skill and you can buy regular skills from trainers. If you don't have a skill unlocked you either need to get to specific trainers (by progressing through the game) or unlock a skill by pvp which gives it to all trainers in that chapter, then buy it. Alternatively you can use hero skill points. If you don't have specific skills, then fill your bar with skills that achieve similar goals to what you're missing.

3) You don't need to level characters to 20. You can use PvP characters as mercenaries. Mercenary heroes won't have access to any more skills than you do. Generally, don't bother with mercenary heroes, it's really only a cosmetic thing.

4) The official GW wiki has all the info you need.

oneangrydwarf fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 8, 2011

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011

And I'm finally done after 2.5 months!

I've got a bunch of random items leftover to giveaway, so if anyone wants them just leave your name here along what you want.

General:
56k Gold (10k per person, 6k for the 6th person to ask)
7 Lockpicks
2700 Wood Planks
1 Onyx Gemstone
A few Runes of Vitae
1 Minor Vigor Rune
Tons of dedicated minis

Tomes:
30 Mesmer Tomes
6 Assasin Tomes
2 Necromancer Tomes
1 Elementalist Tome

Consumables
21 Celestial Summoning Stones
20 Mercentile Summoning Stones
3 Powerstones of Courage
2 Scrolls of Resurrection
Armor of Salvation
Essence of Clarity

Party Points:
140 Champagne Poppers
140 Bottle Rockets
90 Sparklers

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I could really go for 10k so I can buy the rubies/sapphires to finish my Vabbian armor.

The Onyx Gemstone for a Destroyer weapon would be great too.

Maia Istalindir. Lemme know when you're on, I can be on in the evenings Pacific time or during the day on weekends.

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding

Aelesia posted:

I've got a bunch of random items leftover to giveaway, so if anyone wants them just leave your name here along what you want.

gz m8 nicely done.

I could use the Armor of Salvation and Essence of Clarity if possible.
My IGN is Kapteeni Makkara.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aelesia posted:

General:
7 Lockpicks
2700 Wood Planks
1 Onyx Gemstone
A few Runes of Vitae
1 Minor Vigor Rune
Tons of dedicated minis

Tomes:
30 Mesmer Tomes
6 Assasin Tomes
2 Necromancer Tomes
1 Elementalist Tome

Consumables
3 Powerstones of Courage
Armor of Salvation
Essence of Clarity

Party Points:
140 Champagne Poppers
140 Bottle Rockets
90 Sparklers

I decided to go for 45 as well :3: Grats! Can I grab... 10k, the 7 lockpicks, and the 6 sin tomes? IGN Themy Scira

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Nicely done Aelesia. I :love: seeing people using the Hall of Monuments website.

Anything about it that you guys don't like or find frustrating? I might be able to sneak in some time on that in the next couple months.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Could I get 10k? :) IGN: Avoji Zwejoi

And the party items if no one wants them?

For someone who's only interested in 30 points, what titles would you guys recommend? I'm planning on doing all the vanquishers no matter what, which means I get cartographer almost automatically. I also plan to do protector/guardian.

I'm trying to get survivor just by farming vaettirs, but I don't know if I'll do it without going crazy first.

Also, out of curiousity: Why did you go for 45 in particular?

Improbably Sexy
Dec 25, 2008

Tivac posted:

Anything about it that you guys don't like or find frustrating? I might be able to sneak in some time on that in the next couple months.

Well, it might be nice to be able to see a complete list of the miniatures you have already dedicated, but I'm guessing there is a reason the system doesn't do that.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Improbably Sexy posted:

Well, it might be nice to be able to see a complete list of the miniatures you have already dedicated, but I'm guessing there is a reason the system doesn't do that.

Sad but true, we only get a count of the number of minis you have for each rarity. The UI you see is the best compromise we could come up with in a hurry.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

For someone who's only interested in 30 points, what titles would you guys recommend? I'm planning on doing all the vanquishers no matter what, which means I get cartographer almost automatically. I also plan to do protector/guardian.

Get one unique mini, one rare mini, and one white mini. Buy 18 hero armors and add either the Imperial Phoenix or Black Widow Spider. Finish one campaign and get the Protector/Hero title. Do Sorrow's Furnace and Fissure of Woe with your heroes. Add your Hero/Gladiator title or buy zkeys for rank 3. Buy the cheapest 5 elite armors. Buy/craft a tormented weapon, oppressor weapon, and three destroyer weapons.
It should cost around 500+ platinum more or less depending on what you feel like grinding.

Should be 30 points exactly.

I would highly recommend that you get textmod if you go for Cartographer.

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm trying to get survivor just by farming vaettirs, but I don't know if I'll do it without going crazy first.

Also, out of curiousity: Why did you go for 45 in particular?

You can do partial/full FoW runs with your heroes if you know what you are doing for Survivor. You can also buy XP scrolls and repeatedly do the Kilroy Punch-out quest until you get the title.

Getting from 45-50 is insanely time consuming and/or expensive. The last few points would have taken me the longest.

I wouldn't even attempt going for 50 if you aren't also going for GWaMM.

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 10, 2011

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
How the hell do you people do it? All of the titles in this game are basically asian-style grind fests that make even Koreans feel a little worn out.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Captain Backslap posted:

How the hell do you people do it? All of the titles in this game are basically asian-style grind fests that make even Koreans feel a little worn out.

Check your post history, chief. Pot, meet kettle.

The grind for PvE GW is mainly only if you want nifty-looking armors that don't actually do anything. There's faction grinding, but it's somewhat reasonable, especially with faction weekend bonuses. The grind for PvE CoH is the whole game. Though I hear that's been lessened somewhat with the custom missions release.

Fly away, troll.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 10, 2011

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aelesia posted:

I've got a bunch of random items leftover to giveaway
I'd love the minor vigor rune, and any of the "help for scrubs" consumables like a power or summon stones that other people don't need. I've only been playing for a few months so I'm not even trying to get hom points, just enough items and skills that I can run endgame content with a friend who's doing the point grind. Hard mode and the major dungeons still kick my rear end all over the place.

IGN is "Walker Comma Texas" or "Rive Anu"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

LiftAuff posted:

Getting from 45-50 is insanely time consuming and/or expensive. The last few points would have taken me the longest.

I wouldn't even attempt going for 50 if you aren't also going for GWaMM.

Actually, I meant why didn't he just stop at 30? Or even 35 or 40.

And thanks for the suggestions.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
If no one else has claimed it, the last 10k, onyx gemstone, and maybe a rare/unique mini? IGN: Cealin De Rythia

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Aelesia posted:

General:
7 Lockpicks
2700 Wood Planks
1 Onyx Gemstone
A few Runes of Vitae
1 Minor Vigor Rune
Tons of dedicated minis

Tomes:
30 Mesmer Tomes
6 Assasin Tomes
2 Necromancer Tomes
1 Elementalist Tome

Consumables
3 Powerstones of Courage
Armor of Salvation
Essence of Clarity

Party Points:
140 Champagne Poppers
140 Bottle Rockets
90 Sparklers

Hey, not to beg but I can always go for some platinum (10K or 1 gold, free is free). Let me ask you this though, what titles did you get? Or rather a shorter list would be what didn't you get? I'm curious what ones were too time consuming or trouble that they didn't make the cut.

edit: IGN - Lord Geshtal

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 11, 2011

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Hello Sailor posted:

Check your post history, chief. Pot, meet kettle.
I don't think you know how the "pot calling the kettle black" works. I'm a grindfest? What? What are you responding so hostilely to? I don't think you meant to quote me, maybe. Your response makes no sense to me asking how someone can stand grinding their way to 45 points.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 11, 2011

Dendra
May 3, 2009
I'll take the Merc summoning stones if you still have them, I always run out of bag space

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

If you could invite Noob Grinder, that'd be great.

Bakkon
Jun 7, 2006

SQUIRTLE SQUAD

Aelesia posted:

Congrats! I've been working at my HoM points just recently.

Aelesia posted:

General:
7 Lockpicks

Tomes:
6 Assasin Tomes

Party Points:
140 Champagne Poppers
140 Bottle Rockets
90 Sparklers

I'll take these if you still have them. IGN: Abenzio Manhala

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
If you still have some spare gold, I'm a few gold away from getting another 15k armor set for my HoM :shobon:

IGN Lima Risekan

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Geshtal posted:

Hey, not to beg but I can always go for some platinum (10K or 1 gold, free is free). Let me ask you this though, what titles did you get? Or rather a shorter list would be what didn't you get? I'm curious what ones were too time consuming or trouble that they didn't make the cut.

edit: IGN - Lord Geshtal

This should work, you can see his name is Jaslyn Scarlett in the pic. Ironically, he's done Savior of the Luxons AND the Kurzicks, along with Fortune and Misfortune which are huge grinds while there's a whole lot of easier ones not done like Legendary Guardian.

Incidentally, since the last update it's easy if a bit time consuming to get Survivor by filling storybooks and stockpiling them. Since you only need to earn the exp since your last death, you can die a hundred times filling the books but then turn them all in at once.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Aelesia posted:

General:
7 Lockpicks
2700 Wood Planks
1 Onyx Gemstone
A few Runes of Vitae
1 Minor Vigor Rune
Tons of dedicated minis

Tomes:
30 Mesmer Tomes
6 Assasin Tomes
2 Necromancer Tomes
1 Elementalist Tome

Consumables
3 Powerstones of Courage
Armor of Salvation
Essence of Clarity

Party Points:
140 Champagne Poppers
140 Bottle Rockets
90 Sparklers

I'll take the Necro and some (or all if you don't care) of the mesmer tomes, and any gold you can spare

IGN - Redead Assassin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aelesia
Feb 15, 2011
Gift List:

Maia Istalindir
Onyx Gemstone

Kapteeni Makkara
Armor of Salvation
Essence of Clarity

Themy Scira