Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Geop posted:

Was waiting on a really cool "I WANNA PLAY THAT" game before getting an inevitable PS4; this was The One :staredog: Already got the PS4, but the week is largely occupied by work. I'll be grabbing it on the weekend though!

Maybe I'm just rationalizing my purchase, but I'm really glad I got a PS4 (metal slime edition, woo) so I could play DQ Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lizard Wizard posted:

Bit surprised that I haven't seen Dragon Quest Builders mentioned in this thread yet. I'm a bit wary of the whole Minecraft-like thing, but I really liked every other DQ spinoff, so. :shobon:

I don't think I could buy something so unrealistic. I mean, everyone knows that if you accept the Dragon Lord's offer you die and respawn at the king, losing half your gold. That doesn't instantly wreck the kingdom, you just go back and don't be a dumbass the 2nd time!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm beginning to think the sound effects in DQ Heroes are a bit too spot on. I'm having DQ 1 flashbacks every time I fight metal slimes and constantly hear the "You Miss!" sound playing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

Maya is an offensive spellcaster in DQ4. One of the spells she learns is called "Puff!"

It turns her into a Dragon.

And in the original NES translation it was just helpfully called BeDragon, and was (if I recall correctly) I great way to kill groups of metal babbles.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only in DQ3. In DQ4 they made it hit for 1 damage instead of being defense-ignoring and in DQ4 you had a better chance of Alena just critting a metal bable than killing one with BeDragon. Plus once you had the metal babble sword it made life a bit easier since that'd always hit for 2(!!!!) damage.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the end of 3 where you could find groups of metal enemies and the best way to farm them was to hope your sage/wizard could get off a BeDragon before they all fled.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

It's the reverse if you're playing the Female character.

There are a couple of other places where there are slightly different cutscenes as well, like when you get the monster medal tutorial.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree... partially. DQI isn't so much frustrating as grindy, but II is an absolute hair-pulling torture session right up until the end game. I played III all the way through last year and it was still very good... moderately grindy, yes, but that doesn't bother me much - I used to play EverQuest, for gently caress's sake. I will state that III holds up reasonably well today and the graphics still have a charm to them. I have never played IV on the NES, but one of these days I am going to put in that Game Genie code that turns off party AI and have a go at it.

I'm currently playing a rather low-budget game on the iPad called "Epic Warrior", which is the most shameless DQ1 ripoff you can imagine. I might drop $3 on the real DQ1 at some point and try it. If I finish it, I can try II, then III if I finish that one etc

Depending on what version of DQ1 you get, it really isn't that bad. I definitely remember spending a lot of time having to grind on the NES release, but I believe the GBC release was a bit better at smoothing things out. If nothing else the other quality of life changes (such as the stat up seeds) made it a lot more tolerable.

Speaking of grindy, let me just say gently caress these ingredient drops in DQ Heroes. I had something like 4 quests that require Belle Caps, and they just do not want to drop. I actually managed to farm the Mirrorstones I needed from Killing Machines before I got half of these quests done.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

One of the Shrine maps has those, man-o-wars, and killing machines on it so it was a decent place to knock out a bunch of quests though it definitely started wearing down my party members (I think it's the first time I've run out of revives). I'm currently using a Sylveria map with Shaman instead, because there's a quicker loop to respawn shaman and the enemies overall are easier to tear through.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Well, crap. I didn't think they were going to do that!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

Recipes you earn as drops or buy with medals. there are lots of good ones. to make them though You need to do bag quests to get space for better mats unless you dont mind selling all your poo poo mats one at a time in the shop to make room for what you need.
The most powerful items ive found raise your crit rate which with the skills that give you damage boost and mana regen on crit, basicall break the game.

The Bandit's Mask (I think, it's the one that increase item drop rate) is also pretty useful, especially when you get to those "I need X items" quests. You'll need to buy the recipe with medals though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Machine posted:

Are you guys hyped to play Dragon Quest Heroes again via Steam tomorrow?

I can't justify buying it again after I bought a PS4 to play it originally. So if DQ fails in the West, it's my fault.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Does the game have different cutscenes depending on who you chose as main character?

And is there a list of what quests give out, because I hit a point where all my quests are grind collect-a-thons.

There are a few cutscenes that change (such as when you first get the Monster Medals) depending on who the main character is, but a lot of them are the same.

As for quests, you really want to prioritize the ones that give you bigger bags or let you hold more monster medals. The rest of them generally only reward gold and ingredients.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Boinks posted:

How many of you can still get through the tunnel with the princess in it without using any torches?

I can definitely do the princess tunnel without torches, and I used to be able to do the warrior's ring cave as well. That was my prime money grinding spot when I was young and dumb.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Luceo posted:

It was actually the first game I ever beat. :unsmith:

I remember feeling almost claustrophobic as the music got deeper and deeper in pitch as you descended into the caves, and Charlock Castle was way deeper than any of the other dungeons... and then the final level with the Dragonlord, and the music in that fight, and finally winning it. Good times.

I still remember what a shock it was when the Dragonlord died...and changed forms. I know it's cliche now, but back then it was pretty surprising, especially if Dragon Warrior was your first RPG.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Boinks posted:

Maybe my memory is wrong. I remember getting into his battle without any intention of finishing it. We thought that the save would be overwritten if you killed him and my cousin had let me borrow his copy but I wasn't supposed to beat it. I probably healed after the first form but I just remember hitting 'attack' on the 2nd form waiting for him to kill me, only I killed him first.

It's a slow day at work, so I decided to work with this formulas FAQ to see if this was even possible.

The 2nd form of the Dragonlord has a 50/50 chance of doing either Strong breath for 42-48 damage (with Erdrick's Armor) or a Melee attack for 22-43 damage. At best, your hero is going to have 210 HP so you've got 5 rounds (if you're unlucky) to 10 rounds (if you're super lucky) for you to chip away at his 130 HP. If you have the maximum possible HP you should have 182 Attack (with Erdrick's sword), letting you do 20-41 damage per round, so you will need between 4 to 7 rounds to kill him.

So it looks like it could be possible, assuming you came into the 2nd form fight on full HP, but you're still going to need to be really lucky.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hurtmore should do more damage on average than attacking, provided you have the MP to spare for it.

Hurtmore has a chance of failing though (a 93% chance if the faq is right), whereas the Dragonlord can't actually dodge melee attacks.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ghost of Starman posted:

How did folks like Dragon Quest Heroes (PC version, specifically)? DQ + Dynasty Warriors sounds extremely like my jam, but I'm waiting for it to come down in price a bit.

It is definitely more of a DQ game with some DW flavor, so if DQ is your jam it's worth it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

I would like a rebalanced version which required zero grinding, and sometimes I've thought that the game is simple enough that that's something I could do on my own some time as a fun project.

The remakes (at least the GBC one) aren't too bad as far as grinding goes; unfortunately you can't really get rid of all the grinding because that was one of the main activities of the original game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

DQ Builders is coming out in the States for both the PS4 and Vita.

I wonder if there is any chance of a Steam port? I'll absolutely buy it for PS4 otherwise.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ofecks posted:

I think the biggest issue with DQ1 is that there isn't a whole lot to do, persay. The vast majority of the gameplay is just visiting towns and grinding outside them. If you follow the strategy guide that was included with the Nintendo Power bundle ("Explorer's Handbook"), it breaks down like this:

Level - Destination
1, 2 - Tantegel/Brecconary
3 - Erdrick's Cave (no monsters)
4 - Garinham
5, 6 - Kol
7-9 - Mountain Cave
10,11 - Rimuldar
12 - Garinham Grave
13 - Swamp Cave
14-16 - Cantlin (honestly, good luck making it there before 16)
17 - Hauksness
18 - ?
19, 20 - Charlock

A few of those non-town destinations you'll only visit once, even. After you do the Swamp Cave, there's not much going on all the way until 19, just grind grind grind on increasingly powerful mobs (a lot of which could kill you in 4 or 5 hits, you're miles from any inn and your healing methods are woefully obsolete until 17). That kind of pacing was pretty dreadful, at least in the original version. The remakes made it go a lot faster, but when stripped down, it's obvious there's not much of a game there. I guess if you didn't have the cheat hint book, you also had to figure out where to find and how to use some items.

A lot of people poo poo on DQ2, but they really improved on the amount of things to do. The difference is absolutely massive. For that reason (and another thing I won't spoiler), I wouldn't recommend skipping 1 and 2. Play them all, in order. :getin:

Not having a whole lot to do is pretty much the reason that DQ1 is still playable now. Due to its simplicity it doesn't really overstay it's welcome, at least if you're playing any of the remakes where the leveling has been sped up.

DQ2 on the other hand hasn't really gotten any less tedious in the remakes, and is long enough to really be a slog to play through. That being said, at the time it was an amazing leap forward, and it's a shame that we got it after Final Fantasy came out featuring many of the same advancements.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hokuto posted:

I would say Miyabe is sort of off the mark. To say that Enix missed its window of opportunity for DQ relevancy due to not having an early PS1 mega-hit in the US is kind of missing the point. I hate to get all armchair marketer, but I feel like I can talk about this with a degree of confidence.

A significant part of FF7's success can arguably be attributed to the solid amount of SNES era groundwork Square built up in the mid-90s leading up to FF7's PS1 release, with things like FF6 and Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG that raised brand awareness. In contrast, Enix absolutely neglected DQ in the west. Even in the NES era, Nintendo was the one to translate the Dragon Warriors, IIRC. Enix's steadfast refusal to make serious efforts at large game translations until the PS1 era was what shot it in the foot more than anything else.

Dragon Warrior 4 was released in the US in October 1992, and Dragon Warrior 7 was released in October 2001. That's a nine year gap, and let's be real here, DQ7 was kind of an ugly duckling of a game even compared to FF7's rudimentary early 3D, so by the time it came out, it was way too little, way too late, to create any sort of awareness or relevancy in the collective RPG gamer consciousness. That said, it could have come out at the same time as FF7 in 1997 and the same result would have happened, solely due to that lack of SNES era groundwork.

Imagine how big DQ could have been if there had been Dragon Warrior games coming out in the mid-90s right when Dragon Ball Z was becoming super popular on American TV. That missed window right there is why it never hit peak relevance the way FF did.

Edit: One more thing to add - To say that they adhered strongly to the DQ "core element" in the western release of DQ8 is disingenuous, considering that they overhauled the menus and removed all the cheesy sound effects that were peak DQ. It came across to me like they were trying to demonstrate DQ was cool, while simultaneously acting ashamed of being DQ and trying to disguise it with makeup.

I think you are partly right, but it was the large delay in the early DQ releases that let FF beat it to the punch in the west and become the poster-child for RPG, even before we got into the SNES era:

DQ 1: August, 1989

FF 1: July, 1990
DQ 2: September, 1990

FF 4: November, 1991

DQ 3: March, 1992
DQ 4: October, 1992

DQ 2 was way overshadowed by FF 1 by the time it came out, not to mention the fact that FF 1 was being heavily promoted by Nintendo much the way DQ 1 was. And of course by the time we got DQ 3 and 4 the NES was going into decline, and the much more advanced FF 4 had been out for several months. If we'd gotten those NES games closer to their Japanese release dates, they might have been able to generate a stronger following in the west. The complete abandonment of the west for the SNES era absolutely put the nail in the coffin though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 was announced for Switch today - it's a Japanese launch title (March 3) and will contain all the content and DLC from both games as well as new tweaks and extra content (I see Malroth and whathisface from DQ4 in the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzaHm13rFs

I don't think it was announced for release elsewhere but they did announce the Switch is region-free so you can import it if you really want to.

DQ10 and DQ11 were both reconfirmed for Switch.

There's an entry for it on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Title-7/dp/B01NASEX0C/

However I can't find any official confirmation that it's getting a US release.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

Another thing I'm really loving about the iOS version of DQ1 is the change they've made to the background music. Instead of chiptunes, the same music has been replaced with an amazing orchestral version of the original tune. I actually stopped playing just to listen to the music. They put a lot of effort into it. I particularly like the flute solo.

And the graphics are much better than anything the NES was capable of doing.

The new translation is also pretty charming, once you get used to it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

I've been replaying DQ8 and I'm struck by how archaic so many of its gameplay elements are, even for a PS2 game. Hell, even the Final Fantasy games were way better at these things going all the way back to the SNES games. They seem to be steadfastly rejecting QoL improvements of the time. I don't know if it's purely out of tradition or what, but they really should have im

You can only save in churches and the save process takes twenty million years.

Reviving characters before getting the revival spells is a gigantic pain in the rear end. If a character dies, you have to leave whatever dungeon you're in, go to a church, and pay a huge percentage of the gold you've managed to scrape together just to revive one single character.

There is a revival item but you don't get it until late in the game, it's incredibly time consuming to get, and the game tries to make sure you only have one in your inventory at any given time although you can fool it and get two in your inventory. Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game and it only permits you to have one phoenix down and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

And the first revival spell is so awful that it's almost completely useless, especially in battle. It has a 50/50 chance of reviving the person. Gotta love trying to revive someone in battle and having to spend twenty turns and all your MP casting the spell. Even when you get the good spell, if your healer gets killed then it's back to a church with you.

This is all completely unacceptable. Please tell me that the later games fix all this or I'm not even gonna bother.

Those have been the mechanics since Dragon Quest 2 when they first introduced multiple party members.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Prism posted:

That said, this doesn't sound like it's the series for you. Which is fine! It's not for everyone. But it's deliberately kind of archaic in a lot of ways; the core of Dragon Quest doesn't really change much. Revival items are rare because the games that it was meant to draw upon the feel of, old-style dungeon crawlers (for DQ1, Wizardry and Ultima were specifically mentioned), often don't have any at all, or they can fail and require a turbo super resurrection to get your character back up (turned to ash...). I wouldn't call it 'unacceptable' so much as 'not your style'.

Dragon Quest also balances around those mechanics by having party-wipes not revert you to your last save file, unlike most other RPGs. It's just part of what makes a Dragon Quest game a Dragon Quest game, and I can't see it ever changing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

I don't think I've ever heard an accent quite like Carver's (DQH2)

Where do you go to get the free DLC for this game and what is it? I got the day one stuff and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/860140096082903041

I don't know how it works on PS4, but on Steam it's just there. Periodically there will be a towns person with the "story progression" mark over their head, and when you talk to them it will start a very short (1 or 2) series of quests. The quest rewards are the slime weapons for the characters featured in the quests.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

You can coop the story

You can only co-op the story missions you've already completed, so it's really only useful if one person has already cleared the game.

The other co-op are the "maps", which so far have been 2ish rooms full of enemies and a 3rd room with a boss.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Dragon Quest 3 is also the beginning of the Ah-ha, you thought that was the Big Bad but there's actually a puppet master behind them trope as well. It might've existed in another game first but I can't think of any.

I am pretty sure Dragon Quest 2 did that first; at least I don't remember any real lead up to Malroth.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ofecks posted:

1-3 SFC
4-6, 9 DS
7-8 3DS

I've heard mixed things about the various mobile ports.

1 is perfectly fine on mobile. It's got the quality of life stuff from the SFC remake, along with an updated translation that is in line with the new games/3DS rereleases.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/890950006869381125

No release date, but it looks like DQ XI will be coming the West!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

As much as I despise DQ2 on the NES (I thought that the SFC version was pretty good, however) while adoring 3 and having never seriously played 4, I have this unusual fondness for DQ1 despite freely admitting that it's not a very good game. It has minimal content and is virtually all grind, but I love the enemy sprites and always think of it fondly.

That game could use a lot of improvements, but one that I always wish for is that there be a mid-level heal in that game. You get Heal very early on but it becomes outdated after a level levels while Healmore is great up through level 30 but isn't received until level 17. I've always thought that that game would be better with "Healmore" at about level 8-10, with that spell between the two existing spells in terms of potency. Then, have the level 17 spell be called Healmost which is functionally identical to Healmore as it exists. The "Hurt" spells could probably use a similar rebalancing, but Hurtmore as is becomes pointless if you level up into the 20s because your melee attack ends up just as good while costing bugger all.

DQ1 isn't really a bad game, it's just a bit too simplistic when compared to everything that has come after it. However a large part of the content of the game was exploring the world and the dungeons, so without that you do end up grinding a fair bit. Despite that, the game is at least short enough (especially the rebalanced remakes) that it doesn't really outstay its welcome.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

2 is the only one I could never play again. 1 requires a lot of nostalgia. All the rest vary from really good to some of my personal favorite games ever.

The remakes of 1 (especially the latest mobile version) are much easier to deal with. While still fairly simple, the rebalanced leveling curve makes it short enough that it doesn't overstay its' welcome. Nothing really helps 2 though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

The horse with Oomph is also a pretty good one to have. Centaurus in the SNES translation but I can't remember right offhand the name in the remake. Chimaera is also rather good but limited on gear.

Later on if you have the patience to try to catch one, Killer Machine is a wrecking ball.

Google says that Centaurus became Revaulting Horse in the official translations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

HPanda posted:

Starting with 1 and 3 could be good if you’re patient, since they do have some pretty big importance in game history, but I’d hesitate to recommend them as the starting point since they might turn you away due to old mechanics.

4 is, in my opinion, the best representative of the old NES Dragon Quests. It’s a good look into the various systems and has some big quality of life improvements. It also tells a cool self-contained story (2 and 3 really need 1 for full effect).

5 is great, but I feel like it plays with some of the systems and introduces new ones in a way that are more fun if you’re already a bit familiar with them.

The mobile remake of 1 is a perfectly serviceable starting point. While it's not a very deep game, after being rebalanced for more modern audiences it is short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1006222956509388800

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1006237311988838402

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Nerds. They probably started slamming the pre-order button the second that tweet went up.

If it had came with a Steam key I might have done so. I just can't justify buying it for PS4 for the feelies, then buying it again on Steam to actually play it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1034455647348314112

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1034426365418725376

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1034433703622176769

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1034429652260016129

Currently the reviews are looking extremely good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PureRok posted:

I just think DRM is a waste of time, and I'm glad CD Projekt has basically proven that even if other companies aren't listening.

I think we should go back to the old days, where DRM was a code wheel and a piece of paper you could only read with a piece of colored plastic.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

I don't think that's how it works actually, since you're buying it from a download service. As far as I know you're just padding the pockets of the download service, not the creators, by spending more on a game once it's on the service itself.

I bought my game from Squeenix, so I don't know how the cut works out for that. They put a Steam key on my account 2-3 days prior to release so I could pre-download and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Does the game ever explain what the little translucent guys are? It's doing a good job of making me turn over every stone around them when I see one, but I'm curious if it actually has a tutorial like everything else does.