Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've played a lot of video games over the years, and one of the most amazing moments I've ever experienced happened in the GBC DW3 remake. I forget exactly what I was doing or where I was going, but I stumbled upon a random comprised of one Wyvern... and six Metal Babbles. My usual strategy for those fuckers was using the Chance spell to hopefully break them to pieces (it seemed to work more often than it should!). Chance went off and confused the entire battlefield. :what: My characters took turns smashing each others' faces, until I was down to just the Hero, in critical HP. All of the monsters were still alive. Thought for sure I would wipe. Then, it happened... by some RNG miracle, the Wyvern breathed fire on its own party. In DW3, fire breath destroys metal monsters. Six Metal Babbles melted, and the Wyvern scorched itself to death, all in one shot. With one character remaining, I got something like 130k experience. Definitely a :psyduck: moment.

I love Dragon Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Dragon Quest 10 an MMO... huh. I guess I'll play it if it gets a PC port, as long as I can be a slime.

In the meantime, I've taken it upon myself to play all 3 DS remakes to level-99 completion. IV is done, only took 50 hours! I imagine V will be quadruple that, given the amount of playable characters.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Roll call! (story time, incoming :words:)

1 - Got it as a complete surprise christmas of 1990. I had asked for Metriod (which I also got... my mom was awesome), but she had a cool idea - get him a subscription to Nintendo Power so he'll read more instead of staring at a screen all day (ha!). It just so happened that they were giving away a free copy of Dragon Warrior with subscriptions that holiday season. Anyway, at first I thought "WTF kind of game is this?" as it was my first RPG experience, but it grew on me, and before long, I was hooked. Many, many playthroughs during my kid/teen years, even more than one max-level save.

2 - Even before I'd beaten the first game, I was oogling it on the shelf of the computer/game store in the mall. The fact that among the many informational goodies contained in the NP package, it had a full map/item/monster poster for DW2, was probably the cause. Unfortunately, it was also the most expensive NES game on the shelf - $59.99 (which is what, like 80 bucks nowadays?). Fast forward to April '92, and I had come into a large amount of birthday money. Guess what I bought? I loved the game just as much, if not more than, the first. Again, many playthroughs over the years, and my original save was max-level.

3 - I was neck-deep in SNES and pretty much forgot about DW3 until I saw it in 1995... in Wal-Mart of all places. It was one of 3 NES games they had remaining, and it was only $28.99. Snatched that fucker up, played it to death. No max-level saves, but I did do crazy challenge runs, including solo-hero. It's funny how the instruction manual is also a full-walkthrough strategy guide.

4 - Not until 1999. I had just gotten my first PC (a hand-me-down pentium 166) and internet connection. First thing I downloaded was Nesticle and this ROM. Played it to completion, loved it. I've recently finished a max-level run on the DS version.

5 - Not until 2002 or 03, whenever Byuu first released the translation patch. I honestly don't remember much from the SNES version except farming Medals from Mimics due to a bugged chest. I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough of the DS version (this one will be max-level :ohdear:), and it's a great game.

6 - At around the same time, I played maybe halfway through the almost-complete translation of DQ6 and put it away for some reason I can't remember. I beat the DS version a while back, and man it was HARD. Like, I was actually stuck in some places because the bosses were brutal.

7 - Xmas time 2001, I had previously moved out-of-state and was back home visiting relatives. We went to Best Buy for some reason and I bought it, ignoring the warnings of PSM/GI saying that it's crap and not to bother. Ended up sinking 160-ish hours into it, did all the sidequests, wrecked all the bonus content. My girlfriend at the time liked games, but this one was "too much RPG" for her. She used to complain that the soundtrack was "the same 5 songs played over and over", and we had a running gag where'd we make the *stairs* sound when entering or exiting a building. Good times.

8 - Bought it on release date, played it for a couple hours (on a RGB monitor, looked fantastic), but shelved it for YEARS due to a little game called World of Warcraft. I finally did a complete playthrough summer of 2008 when I was laid off and had an abundance of free time. I didn't do the bonus content, though.

9 - Got it when it came out, played until I saw the ending. Apparently that's only half the game. I'll give it a more complete run in the future.

I was also going to document my experiences with the side-games, but gently caress that. I've written too much already.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Holy crap, that was awesome. What is that anyway? It says "tribute" but it looks like something way beyond the quality of most fan-created stuff.

Is anyone reading this thread a fan of the Torneko Mysterious Dungeon games? Apparently the SNES one has been translated, so I thought I'd give it a go yesterday - I AM HOOKED. I've never played a game like this before. It's friggin brutal and kicks me in the shins at every opportunity, but I keep coming back for more. :ohdear:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

MaverickEX posted:

It's an extended version of the intro to Dragon Quest Battle Road: Victory - which is a Wiimote-based slash 'em up, I guess.

I got excited for a minute thinking that sounds like a sequel to the "Swords" game, but I looked it up... it's a card-battle arcade game. Welp. Still, very cool into.

Just had my best run in Torneko SFC - Had a Metal Babble +3 sword, a +3 Dragon Shield w/gold plating, a str+3 ring; got all the way down to floor 25, the few previous before that were running on empty, rushing straight to the stairs. Eventually I ran out of belly and got cornered by some nasties. Turns out there's a semi-guaranteed Outside scroll on flor 20? UGH :suicide:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The first one to be translated was PS Torneko the Last Hope, which would be Torneko 3 in Japan (the first two were on SFC).

Now that you mention it, didn't you translate TtLH? It's a shame that the game was critically panned, I'm definitely gonna check it out after I've beaten Torneko SFC.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I'm dismayed by how much time I sank into FFXI years ago and how I still miss it terribly today.

Since FFXI had a PC version, I'm holding onto hope that there will be one for DQX as well. If so I will quit WoW to play this, seriously. From those screenshots it looked like combat is real-time?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Last night I couldn't sleep. My brain wouldn't turn off. One of the piles of thoughts that ricocheted around in my head was why Enix, in the 16-bit era, chose to publish all those RPGs/questy-type-things in the US but not a single DQ game. I mean, I liked Soul Blazer and EVO to certain degrees, but none of the others looked even remotely interesting compared to the stuff Square was putting out. As a kid/early teen I had to be picky due to no allowance and only getting games for birthdays/christmas. It makes me wonder if the combined sales of ActRaiser 2, RoboTrek, 7th Saga, etc. would be equal to or even less than say, Dragon Warrior V if it had existed, due to name recognition or something. I know RPGs weren't nearly as popular then, but I keep thinking that maybe the DQ series wouldn't tank these days if they were actually around to play on the SNES. Okay, I understand about the remakes... but no DQ5 or 6 and instead we get... Paladin's Quest? Was there an enormous production cost on publishing Horii/Sugiyama/Toriyama works internationally (licensing fees or whatever)?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

That Dragon Quest VI special in Nintendo Power ruined my childhood. I read that section over and over again, imagining how amazing the game would be and marveling at the number of classes (18, I think?) and all for nothing.

Same here. I was also on Enix's mailing list at the time, they called the newsletter "Warrior World". Oh the irony. Seemed like every quarter they were like, "Okay so we want to release the DQ games in the US, really we do, but we need to show the higher-ups that there's actual interest. Please write us!" I did every time. It was clearly not enough.

As an aside, I was also on Square's mailing list, I think they called it "Ogopogo Examiner". I remember being excited for a possible FFV release. They wanted to call it "Final Fantasy Extreme". :krad: In hindsight, I was perfectly happy getting FF6 instead, and being introduced later to the job system with Tactics. They sent me the FF7 promo VHS, which was awesome and cemented my switching from Nintendo to Sony that generation.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

There is a really good LP of DQV in the archive. It's definitely worth reading to get an idea of what the game is about. As for actually playing it, go with the DS or PS2 (english patch) versions as you get an extra party member and more recruitable monsters.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

If I wanted to play my way through the Dragon Quest series, would you recommend the Super Famicom or GBC versions of I and II?

Gameplay-wise, they are exactly the same. I much prefer the SFC combo for the superior graphics and music. A heads-up about the english patch, though - don't stay in the Beran Inn with a full party (one or more can be dead). It triggers a side-quest that is apparently bugged and soft-locks the game.

Boinks posted:

We leveled up so drat far he could beat the Dragon Lord without using any healing.

I don't think that's possible, even at the cap (lv 30).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Luceo posted:

My wife bought me these two little friends from eBay. Now if only I could keep them from running away...

:3:

Also I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but it bears repeating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFoaxURoV4

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

does anyone know a good spot to cash farm? The main character is level 21, and I still have about 130k worth of purchases to buy even if I don't buy another Fur Cloak for the main character to tide him over until he gets the best armour in Rhone.

Pretty sure the Fur Cloak/Mink Coat is a waste of money in both the original and remakes, especially for the Hero. You can get the Armor of Gaia for free and it offers more DEF, and Cannock can (and should) wear Magic Armor. That said, in the original game, Metal Babbles and Gold Orcs dropped the most money (255). Metal Babbles are too rare to farm (and too hard to kill in the remakes), but Gold Orcs appear near Beran, Tuhn, Wellgarth, Tower of the Moon, and Sea Cave. Not sure about frequency for any of those.

I also seem to recall the ocean and their swarms of sea slugs and manowars to be good, easy income (as long as you have Dragon's Banes to help resist the sleep attacks). Sea slugs are worth 80 (!) Gold each, Manowars 50. This might actually be faster than farming Gold Orcs.

quote:

Secondly... there is an item in the game called the Magic Helmet, which is the only headgear that the prince and princess can wear. It offers relatively little protection but it reduces the MP cost of spells cast in combat by 25%, which is very useful. I'm given to know that in the SFC/GBC versions there is one helmet in the infamous Cave to Rhone, but I would like to get another one for the other caster in the group and it apparently drops, very rarely, from some late-game mobs. However, I've read online that you can only have one in a specific game. Firstly, does anyone know if this is true?

A.K.A "Mysterious Hat" and "Mad Cap", depending on which version of the game you're playing. Magic Helmet is probably a GBC thing, where they had less characters to work with so they used icons for everything.

Re: one per game - that might be true, but only in the original version. There was a bug that prevented you from getting a 2nd equipment drop from monsters if you already had the item in your inventory. The chest would just contain gold. I would imagine that bug does not exist in any of the remakes. The mobs that drop the Hat are Magic Vampirus and the 2nd Hargon boss Bazuzu.

quote:

Secondly, if it isn't, where is a good place to find the mobs that might drop it? Anything that conserves or replenishes MP (I've been hoarding Wizard Rings all game) is very useful, especially in the Cave to Rhone and the final castle.

AFAIK, Magic Vampiruses can only be found in the Cave to Rhone, on the upper floors towards the end.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

The Fur Cloak actually has 60 defence in the remakes compared to 35 on the Magic Armour and 47 on the Gaia Armour.

Oh, well that's interesting. Still, Gaia is free and having half magic damage on Cannock is amazing during endgame since almost everything casts Explodet. 65k is just way too much. You'll be high enough lvl for Cave To Rhone before you grind that out.

Did you try the Staff of Thunder on the ocean mobs? I want to say they resist it less, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.

I wish SE would put the mobile ports on Steam. Guess DQH + the FF ports need to sell before that'll happen though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Felt like playing some DQ lately. I've never actually finished it but I started a new game in DQ2r for SFC, and got to the end in record time. I had lower levels than intended pretty much the whole way, including doing the Cave to Rhone at level 20. Unfortunately, you still need to grind to survive the endgame, the monsters in Rhone and Hargon's Castle are ridiculous. I surprisingly made it to Malroth at levels 27/25/21 and burned all my Wizard Rings thinking I'd have a shot. Nope - I simply lack the HP to deal with his nasty attacks. Gonna call it there for now since I kinda needed those rings to make it that far and I stupidly saved after I wiped. I don't feel like grinding anymore.

So I've moved onto DQ3r, and used randomthingpicker.org to roll a party. Got Fighter, Dealer, Mage. I'm gonna upgrade the Mage to Sage when I get to that point, but no class changing other than that. Should be interesting!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

They're wizards, they have plenty of offensive power. I'm at the Tower of Shampane, and it occurred to me that while the Dealer is doing okay at the moment, they are the 2nd worst class and will definitely be a weaker link the further I go into the game. I could change them to a Sage instead of the Wizard, then I'd have two BiKills and still be able to use the Poison Needle for metal hunting. I'd have to have them read a Smart book though, Amazon/Sexy won't cut it for a caster. Just something for me to think about I guess.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

It is. Too bad you can't force it during character creation. The Garter Belt is only 10 mini medals, thankfully.

JustJeff88 posted:

You can get on very well with just one wizardly caster and the sage fills that role perfectly

This is what I've decided. I went through the tower and got the Zen Scroll, but my Wizard's only lv 17. The Dealer will stay as she is. Also I didn't realize it until just now, but I've been putting all my Stam/Wis/HP/MP nuts into my Wizard... don't do this to characters you will class-change later, it's a total waste.

I was ill-prepared for the golden claw sidequest. A stupid mummy crit my hero and killed him halfway through the escape. I pressed on, but he had a boomerang and I needed his damage, nor did I think to buy a bunch of herbs for healing beforehand. I wiped and thought "RIP my gold, at least I have the claw now". NOPE, you have to escape the Pyramid *alive* with it to keep it, so I had to do the whole thing again. :suicide:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 18, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Right after the FFL2 DS remake... :smith:

That's been translated, actually. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1610/
Useless I guess if you don't want to emulate or lack a flash cart.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I was disappointed to learn that, unlike the nice Wonderswan remake of 1 (which is also translated), the game is 3D. So I passed on it. Let me know how it is.

Back on-topic. The bosses in DQ3r are so much more difficult than the original, goddamn. This is probably a good thing, though. I'm currently at Baramos, but I'm underleveled so it's pretty much impossible. I think I'm going to need Barrier and Healmore for the Hero, but meeehhhh grinding. Guess I just don't have the patience for jRPGs anymore.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The TAS agrees with you. He basically solos most of Ch 5 since all his antics can be manipulated. Build Up Power, Summon Army of Merchants, all 4 crit, win.

I found out yesterday watching RTAs that DQ3r Baramos can be easily StopSpelled. :aaa: That should help me tremendously.

e: Also Surround, but it made no difference - he kept attacking through it and wiped me again. I loving quit.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 25, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I think I used the Expel spell maybe once across all the games it's featured. Apparently in DQ3 it's really effective against undead enemies, and RTA speedruns exploit this generously.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Didn't the DS version also add Pachisi (or whatver it's called. the board game)? If so it is heads and shoulders above all else.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The screen I got when my VMU was full the first time I played Dreamcast Resident Evil 3. Thanks, Capcom.

I also recall Zelda 2 game overs being not so nice. Motivation to GIT GUD

I actually picked the softlock badend the first time I made it to the Dragonlord. It wasn't an accident but I have no idea why I thought that was a good idea.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Chrono Trigger had no random encounters. There are fixed spots in the area maps where battles are initiated, and you can skip some of them if you know where they are. It might have come out after Earthbound, though. I don't remember. Also, Zelda 2's overworld monsters were handled similarly.

efb lol

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 15, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not that I'm not happy to finally have it, but Square Enix should have viewed the US release as an opportunity to do a DQVII+ version with enhancements like they did with Bravely Default and countless other games and just give us that one. That way they sell it in the west and get some of the Japanese player base to double dip.

I'm guessing they only budgeted enough to translate it, given DQ's poor sales history abroad. Makes sense from a business standpoint, sadly.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I've played through the NA PS2 version, but the OST I have is the JP one. The synthesized music is fine. All the tracks from the OST carry the same weight and emotion as I remember and I'm sure it'll be the same on 3DS. To be honest, I find the symphonic suite is a little too good and sounds a bit out-of-place in the game. Maybe if I were classically trained, I'd think differently. :shrug:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I generally like silly accents, but playing DQIV on iOS is drat near impossible (besides the controls) because I can't stand reading the faux Scottish accent that the first chapter asserts. And when I think I'm through, the second chapter does the same thing with Russian.

I actually liked these. I thought it was fun to speak some of it out loud. I lived alone when I played through it (the DS version), thankfully.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

They've said this multiple times over the past few console generations, but the only time they made good on their word was on DS. How many have been released on 3DS/PS4/PC so far, just Heroes and 7?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't think Dragon Quest Heroes did well on PC. Even though that game plays completely differently from normal Dragon Quest games and is even more niche than the main games and Square-Enix are absolutely stupid to use that game as an indication of interest in PC ports of the main series.

Steamspy says DQH PC only sold 30k. Ouch.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Is there an endless/survival-type mode? Or once you finish the chapters that's it?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

I feel like 6 has one of the strongest soundtracks in the series. As much as I'm loving 5 (finally in the game's homestretch), the world map and battle themes aren't as catchy as others in the series, IMO.

I really like the cave BGM in 5. It's so swirly and chill, and it's what I hear in my head when I think of the game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I think the biggest issue with DQ1 is that there isn't a whole lot to do, persay. The vast majority of the gameplay is just visiting towns and grinding outside them. If you follow the strategy guide that was included with the Nintendo Power bundle ("Explorer's Handbook"), it breaks down like this:

Level - Destination
1, 2 - Tantegel/Brecconary
3 - Erdrick's Cave (no monsters)
4 - Garinham
5, 6 - Kol
7-9 - Mountain Cave
10,11 - Rimuldar
12 - Garinham Grave
13 - Swamp Cave
14-16 - Cantlin (honestly, good luck making it there before 16)
17 - Hauksness
18 - ?
19, 20 - Charlock

A few of those non-town destinations you'll only visit once, even. After you do the Swamp Cave, there's not much going on all the way until 19, just grind grind grind on increasingly powerful mobs (a lot of which could kill you in 4 or 5 hits, you're miles from any inn and your healing methods are woefully obsolete until 17). That kind of pacing was pretty dreadful, at least in the original version. The remakes made it go a lot faster, but when stripped down, it's obvious there's not much of a game there. I guess if you didn't have the cheat hint book, you also had to figure out where to find and how to use some items.

A lot of people poo poo on DQ2, but they really improved on the amount of things to do. The difference is absolutely massive. For that reason (and another thing I won't spoiler), I wouldn't recommend skipping 1 and 2. Play them all, in order. :getin:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

2 for the NES's real problem, to me, is poor balance. I have a personal loathing for that game, but I did play the SFC remake of it and it's solid. They fixed some of the exploits like farming infinite Staves of Thunder and getting more than one Water Flying Cloth, but you don't really need to take advantage of those like in the NES game. People besides the main character can use better gear and the prince is decent in a fight, so it has a much better flow to it. I enjoyed that version much, much more than the original.

They didn't make many changes in regards to equipment, but those that are there went a long way. Cannock being able to use Erdrick's Sword and Light Sword, and a free Mysterious Hat in the Cave to Rhone. Also for spells, buffing Firebane was really good.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Hokuto posted:

Even in the NES era, Nintendo was the one to translate the Dragon Warriors, IIRC.

Nintendo only did the first one. Enix America did 2-4 (and did it quite well, IMO).

I also agree with DQ not being popular due to the missteps during the SNES era. They really screwed us for the long haul. I want to say Miyabe is right about the asthetic tastes of Westerners, but there are immensely popular cartoony games out there that all ages play - World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2, for example. So I dunno. The Tales series does okay, doesn't it? And that's anime as all gently caress.

Hokuto posted:

Edit: One more thing to add - To say that they adhered strongly to the DQ "core element" in the western release of DQ8 is disingenuous, considering that they overhauled the menus and removed all the cheesy sound effects that were peak DQ. It came across to me like they were trying to demonstrate DQ was cool, while simultaneously acting ashamed of being DQ and trying to disguise it with makeup.

This pissed me off, as a fan of the series. I enjoy the stairs and spell sound effects, it's not really DQ without them. The demo disc had them, so this must've been a last-minute decision.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

And apparently the predecessor game has an English patch now.

There's a predecessor to EVO? :aaa:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

"Toriyama" posted:

“What the heck is a role-playing game?”, I thought.
That was the sort of time it was.

My exact thoughts when I first got the game and was looking at the included materials (Nintendo Power version). It was new and completely alien, but I tried it and was utterly hooked by the character progression aspect.

Zaggitz posted:

I'm glad i finally got t play DQ7, but holy moly am I never ging to play dq7 ever again after i beat it

I think I said this 15 years ago with the PS1 version, but that's enough time to consider playing it again, if I had a 3DS.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Did they keep the classic DQ magic, stairs, and enemy/ally attack sound effects in this version?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Moltrey posted:

also when Jessica got a high enough staves skill the game said she became a Chief of Staff and I almost through the game out the drat window

Welcome to modern Dragon Quest localizations. Hope you like puns! you better :argh:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

So does Surround for his melee attacks. Then you're left with his fire breath, which is a problem. Get your cleric to 30 for Healus.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

1-3 SFC
4-6, 9 DS
7-8 3DS

I've heard mixed things about the various mobile ports.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

There's also the PSX version of DQ4 that shares a similar look to SFC DQ3

This is incorrect. PS1 DQ4 uses the DQ7 engine.

YggiDee posted:

DQV on the PS2 doesn't have the superior third wife though.

This right here is why DS is better.

I feel I should clarify - the negative things I've heard about the mobile ports of 1-3 are poorly scaled 2D (this is a dealbreaker for me, I would not be able to stand looking at it) and difficult controls. They are probably acceptable for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

Edit: how can I forget Ned Flanders in dragon form

:stare: Please remind me of what this is, it's been a few years since I played the game.