Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does DQ7 3DS have an in game bestiary?

Already getting it, just curious cause I like those in RPGs and most of the recent DQs have had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

not right away but the story eventually gives you a bestiary item

Ah that's rad. It's a small thing but I've always loved those things in games, I'm normally not that bad about collectathon stuff but give me a bestiary, especially one with funny lore, and it's crack to me and I will play the game longer and enjoy it more.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Builders demo is out in the PAL territories.

It's weird seeing this kind of game made with an actual budget and experienced team. Great, but weird.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've run into a problem. I've beaten Al Bhalad and have got the hints to go to the next island, but I'm short a tablet shard. The tablets hints are saying nothing and from the guides I've found the only one I think I may have missed is the one in the now destroyed evil semblance.

Anyone run into this or have an idea of how to fix it?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Alxprit posted:

If you've explored the Temple Palace in the present, try going back to the past and talking with the queen then.

Nah I've done that, definitely gotten that shard.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Are you absolutely sure you can't just access another island at this point? Where are you at in your "Recent Developments"? I can compare and see if there's anything you might have missed.

This actually fixed it thank you. I'd been using the guy at the Shrine for tablet hints and had forgotten about the "Next Tablet" option in the menu. That pointed me to one I'd missed at Alltrades in the past. Cheers.

Unmature posted:

It's really difficult to not want to switch over to SMTIVA when you're dealing with Alltrades Abbey.

Not hard if you live in Aus and can't actually play SMTIVA. :smith:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

There's a mean little part of me that's wondering how many complaints the DRM for the PC version is going to get from paying customers as well.

A ton. The better question is whether there'll be reasons beyond (admittedly not entirely unjustified) annoyance at having this foisted on paying customers.

Denuvo is usually fine but some devs really botch it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm telling Square to do that any time they ask for feedback I guess. Show them other big companies do it to no issue.

That said I'm not too bothered by Denuvo, the only time I've heard reliable reports of it causing issues was where the dev implemented it really poorly (there was a game, I think it was Rime, where the dev set Denuvo to phone home thousands of times a minute instead of like once a week like is recommended. That caused issues but that was a developer misconfiguring Denuvo not Denuvo having a built in problem).

I'm more worried about standard console port wonkiness and probably getting the PS4 version for that reason.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sw0cb posted:

Does anyone know what time it unlocks for ps4?

Midnight in your region, been playing it for about five hours here.

GMT+10 region and I'm in +8.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

That said, I watched some early footage, and... what in the hell is going on with Erik's accent? It's like they can't decide if it's A Cheeky British Lad or if he's Supah From Noo Yahwk, Y'see?

It's not badly acted, it seems like (it's even quite good) but :psyduck:

also, the game unlocks at midnight in a rolling fashion around the world right? (on ps4)

See the deal with Erik is Dino from FFXV moved to England and bada bing bada boom had a son.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Twenty some hours in and it just keeps getting better.

Also on the VA my favourite bit so far is Rab's MacDuck Scottish bellowing "Let the darkness take ye" and "Hand over yer soul" when he casts dark spells.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So uh hit the midgame ~level 30-32 story beats and was uh not expecting things to go FF6. Goddamn.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Burginator posted:

After the big midgame event spoilers:

I went off and explored all over the place without finding my party members, figuring I'd just run into them eventually and kind of just confused about where to go in general. Now I get Jade and Erik back and they're both 12 levels lower than the rest of my party? This is supremely annoying.

So where are they so I don't do this?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

an actual dog posted:

The game tells you where to go, they must have hosed up somehow.

Cool guess they sidequested too hard I'll just stick to the plot for a bit then.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Speaking of mini medals, I found the academy and I love it.

All the shoujou tropes. The delinquent boss, the vice principal being Jade's mum's girlfriend, the ghost it was great.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

uiru posted:

Now I'm wondering if I should've played FFXIV. I mostly avoid MMOs these days, but DQXI is making me wish I could try DQX. Is FFXIV fun? Is it mechanically different from WoW?

Also, I impulse bought a $159 1TB SSD -- yes, they're that cheap now -- because I was getting annoyed with the load times and did the migration last night. I've been playing today and it feels like there just are no load times. Highly recommend. This is on a PS4 Pro, though. (YMMV on a non-Pro, as only Pro has SATA III.)

It's my favourite MMO, and yeah it's quite different from WoW mechanically. Also it plays well on a controller (though if you get it on ps4 you'll still want a keyboard for chat, bluetooth keyboard as cheap as chips now though). There's a free trial to level 35 though the game really picks up at 50 which is quick to reach these days, the goon guilds are on Excalibur for America, and they are very big, active and friendly (apparently it's got the largest goon community after EVE?). There's a big Euro guild on Omega and a small group of SEA-Ausgoons on Tonberry though a lot of us just play with the Americans or Euros.

It's by far the best written MMO ever, the first expansion Heavensward might be the best written FF content. Also completely opposite to DQ11 the music is absolutely amazing and the largest soundtrack in gaming.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Does it beat the Rayman 3 OST in length? Because IIRC, that was over 8 hours long.

The 1.0 sound track had 5 hours, the 2.0 sound track had nearly 7, the 3.0 soundtrack added another 5 and this doesn't include 4.0 or the vast amount of 2.x, 3.x and 4.x music.

It got the record for the most original composition in a game before the most recent expansion in Feb 2017. And that doesn't include all the classic FF arrangements in it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

It's also worth noting that the world record wasn't actually for the game, but for Masayoshi Soken personally, as he's composed almost the entire 2.x-4.x soundtrack himself. (The main exception being the main themes, which are Nobuo Uematsu's work.)

Anyway, found XI's slime island, so that's nice if I ever need to grind.

It's absurdly varied too, classical, folk, pop, rock, baroque, big band, jazz, classical Japanese, classical Chinese, choral hymns (it's FF so of course there's loads of this mixed into a lot of things), like half a dozen kinds of metal, Mongolian folk music, sea shanties, string pieces. poo poo's nuts.

And it';s weird I've only just found a liquid metal slime like after flying. Had terrible luck with them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

So I've bought and am starting to play DQXI on my IBM Compatible Personal Computer. If I like this game, and so far I do, what other games should I look into getting? I see 7 and 8 are on the DS store. Are 1-6 and 9 worth getting? Looks like lots of them are available on Ipad as well.

8 is the most like this one and incredibly good, 4-6 are all really good for their time, 5 in particular is held in high regard. Have good iOS ports too, 4 in particular you want the iOS not the DS one due to weird cuts in the DS one.

9 is a weird beast that's based heavily on a multiplayer scene that never materialised outside Japan. 1-3 were NES era RPGs and the iOS ports have weird issues. 7 is incredibly long and I couldn't get through it.

If you have a Switch Dragon Quest Builders is a fun as hell take on Minecraft with more direction and questing.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 10, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I need Colourful Cocoons for recipes, but nothing seems to drop it commonly and I can't find a resource node for it? The item description says it's found in Insula Centralis but...it isn't? Is this a post-game (which really should just be Act 3) thing?

I found them off a tree in one of the flight locations, I think the one near the manglegrove.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I kinda wish stealing wasn't a thing, because I can't stop obsessively trying to steal from every mob I encounter (or at least the ones that have items that seem like they might be used in crafting), and Erik's stealing success rate can be pretty abysmal (it's sometimes taken me like 10 tries).

I mean, that's an order of magnitude better than any other DQ thief.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

"rarified" monsters are called Reincarnation Monsters in Japanese, and have been in the series for a while. They appear in DQX, DQM2 on the 3ds, as well as Joker 3 and Joker 3 Pro.

The way they work is they spawn after a random number of the base monster is killed, so running probably doesn't work. You can't encounter them on your first battle, but can at any point after that. There are a ton in the other games, but only a few in DQXI.

No you definitely can encounter them on your first battle, I did with the Wight Bulbs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean I liked Ivankov too but there's enough wrong with One Piece that it's not worth dying on this hill.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Especially in the DQ thread

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If I was going to try out the earlier Dragon Quests, where should I start? I've literally not played anything before DQ8.

4-6 are great and any of them would be fun to play. Get the DS or phone versions of 5 or 6. Or the phone version of 4. DS 4 cut party chat for cost.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

In Builders 2 how do you set up animal breeding? I want rare dogs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Saxophone posted:

If you're talking about the pyramid, apparently a couple of the blocks used to form corners in the interior walls don't count as blocks for the making of rooms. So if you're using the existing pyramid wall as one of your walls, you need to run behind it and tear out the corner blocks.

I had a similar issue and through dumb luck had just been watching a YouTube video on building in the pyramid for ideas and they mentioned it.

Also also, what's everyone's opinions on building your rooms with roofs, as opposed to just sticking with the traditional open top?

Roofs on everything, except one big open space room that I use when I'm in a hurry usually.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How do you do get new colours?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd kinda like Erik's vaguely sociopathic jerk of a sister. Or Gemma so the endgame spoiler marriage comes less out if left field.

Probably Jasper though.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 27, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In fairness, I've heard there are 2ch posters that fuckin love Fallout: New Vegas but I've only heard it thirdhand through scuttlebutt on these forums, like, there could easily be huge fans of Western games there that aren't known about here, right?

I've seen a lot of Japanese fanart of New Vegas so this holds up.

My understanding is wrpgs and first person shooters have a diehard super nerd audience there same as we got weeaboos obsessed with only the most anime of games.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Phayray posted:

I got DQ11 on Switch late last month as an early Christmas present to myself, and I may have just snuck in the best decision of 2019 right at the end - what a game (my first DQ game)! I love all the little details and dialog quips - I just got to the part where YOU GET THE FLYING WHALE! and Serena saying "Is that a flying fish?...no, that's a whale!" There are a lot of little moments like that, that get a grin out of me. Just a fun-rear end game.

Dragon Quest is a great series. If you want another one the phone ports for 4-6 are shockingly good.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I'm probably gonna go with the Killing Machine as well.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Cruelcumber for literally everything about it.

I can’t believe it’s as recent as it is. A modern classic.

DQ8 was 16 years ago mate.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does anyone know of a good list of stuff to try and steal in DQ11? I'm in act 1.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Like someone else said, stealing in Act 1 is kind of helpful for like, forge items if you don’t want to grind but nothing really stands out. I think one of the rabbit robber guys have some gloves that improve your steal rate which you can get with decent odds when Erik’s psyched up (or whatever it’s called it’s been a while)

Act 2 and 3 have much better poo poo but none of it’s from bosses which means you can generally just look at a monster’s bio to see what drops a Happy Hat (I think some of the Act 2 pig witches definitely do but they disappear in Act 3 so that’s something to keep in mind.

Cheers. Knew about the bosses was just curious if there were any cool drops to look out for. Like I remember 8 had a really good bow near the thief town.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Goddamnit I'm getting overlevelled trying to find a Brollympian in the mural zone. I just want that golden umbrella enemy.

Edit: Complaining on the internet worked.

Edit2: And the panda was super easy to find, are some of the rare spawns rarer or is this just random chance striking again.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 22, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also the regular version of DQ11 just went up on Xbox/Windows Gamepass.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I square away the "time travel means you either annihilate or abandon the future timeline depending on if it follows Back to the Future or Dragonball rules" thing by just thinking it's not a purely material universe and maybe it's the same soul even if you time travel so this actually does fix things without destroying the original future.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I just use the Avengers Endgame explanation for it.

Isn't that just Dragonball? They go to alternate realities and grab stones to fix the damage in their original universe but don't actually abandon their original world cause they return and resurrect everybody. Everything still happened they just raised the dead.

So you're saying you just imagine the hero going back to the original world after act 3 somehow? Which okay yeah that's a good ending too so I respect that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Replaying 11.

God this is such a good game but gently caress Sugiyama left one last nasty surprise for me, I can't run spotify at the same time as 11S on ps5. Blargh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ran Rannerson posted:

Oh I really hope the Eggsoskeletons and Evangelizards are in this DQM. I loved those guys.

Personally I'm hoping that of the bosses in DQ11 that could theoretically show up in the new DQM we at least get Jasper Unbound.

Eggoskeleton is a top tier design that definitely should keep showing up.