Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Shugojin posted:

Some people ended up in a certain fake House of Healing instead of the real one and got sent back to the other side of the very long dungeon :v:

This was me.

The SNES version of DQ3 has a "fun" little surprise in store for people who had played the NES version: in the original, having the Golden Claw in your inventory "curses" you by causing you to be attacked every time you take a step, and is easily remedied by selling it for a ton of gold. In the remake, picking up the Claw just curses the Pyramid permanently instead. I'm just glad that I grabbed the Magic Key first, there's no way I was going to drag a Thief and two Jesters through four hours of nonstop battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Draile posted:

The SNES version requires the magic key to access the golden claw room, thus solving the problem of an impossible to traverse dungeon. I don't remember if you needed the magic key in the NES version.

Oh, and all magic is sealed in the SNES version once the curse triggers so you need to use herbs to heal. I also forget if that was in the NES version. I really hated the golden claw quest on the SNES.

Oh I didn't even think of that, I'm pretty sure you're right. I don't even know which doors are opened by which key honestly now that I don't have to "use" the keys as items to open doors.

The magic sealing is not related to the claw, magic is off-limits as soon as you fall through the trap-door on the first floor. That behavior is the same as the NES.

And yes, getting out with the claw was terrible in the remake - the battle animations get old real fast when you've seen all of them 100 times in the last five minutes. At least my whole party gained two levels.

Bongo Bill posted:

In the GBC version, and therefore probably also the SNES version, once you get the claw out of the pyramid there's no longer a downside to using it, and it remains the best weapon for claw users for a very long time.

I had no idea or I might have kept it, although trading it in for three steel whips was certainly a better short term move for me.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Colgate posted:

It's a remake, thankfully, but the instant death stuff is still present. Damage I can deal with, but the only thing I can hope for with Frostburns and Batmandrills is Fizzle landing before they're able to do Thwack or Kamikaze.

Kaboom usually one-shots Frostburns if it hits, and they're vulnerable to Thwack itself. It's worth casting both spells if there's three or more of them. Batmandrills will need to be silenced but they won't cast Kamikaze if they're at full health - defend or heal until Fizzle lands on all of them to be safe.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Hokuto posted:

There are remakes of DQ4 on PS1, DS, and mobile. As far as I know they're all based on the PS1 remake.

There was no SNES remake, but the NES game holds up fine for the most part, aside from Kiryl/Cristo basically becoming unusable in boss fights in the late game due to how friendly AI works. He keeps trying insta-kill spells against bosses and never learns they don't work, because the AI is coded to only have the AI "learn" things about enemies they fight after the fight is over.

I beat the last boss in NES 4 with a hero/cristo only party, he does learn after a couple of party wipes.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I think it makes sense for games where you have to buy prizes with medals, instead of getting rewarded for reaching 5/10/etc medals. That's just DQV though, unless anything drops medals in NES IV.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Nihilarian posted:

DQ3 might make my top rpg list and it's really making me want to skip 4 and 5 and just play 6 when it's over.

I strongly recommend that you do not do this, 4 and 5 are also all timers while 6, sadly, is not (IMO).

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Ofecks posted:

Just finished FFL1 and I posted about it here. Wasn't sure about putting it in the FF thread.

There is a SaGa megathread.

Most of the FFL2 challenge achievements aren't too bad except for the Apollo one, but I hate sets for games that force you to play with a certain party and 4 monsters is the most boring way to play 2.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
You have so many tools at your disposal by endgame, it's hard for me to picture a party that wouldn't be able to eventually outlast Zoma. Merchant/Gadabout/Mage might have the hardest time if you foolishly passed on the Sage.

Baramos is a far bigger wall IMO, I'd rather fight him with a party full of Tough Cookies.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

welcome posted:

Merchant/Gadabout/Mage might have the hardest time if you foolishly passed on the Sage.

Lmao.

Well, I shan't pass on the Sage but I'll report back.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Monster hearts, for all monsters. I want a Baramos Bomus, Baramos Gonus, and BaraEvil in my party.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Holy hell the Justice Abacus in GBC 3 has 110 attack! I've obviously never equipped it before, that'll be nice for Baramos. In the meantime though three Flamerangs have been cleaning up all the trash on the way to the orbs.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Monster medals are GBC only but they have no gameplay value unless you wish to engage in the worst grind of all time.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

JustJeff88 posted:

My concern is that, if the remake ever comes out (which I doubt), it will not be a 'complete' version.

Why wouldn't the remake come out?

TnT is a possible omission and that's a bummer, but seriously the GBC exclusive content might as well not exist for how inaccessible it is.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Long Zoma fight and one near wipe due to three consecutive blizzards + my dumb rear end forgetting to buy Water Dresses, but I pulled through. I did wind up with three TwinHits casters, swapped the Dealer and Mage because the Jester was starting over anyway. It saw no use outside of Zoma's guardians. Doing this with an unchanged Jester would be horrible and probably mostly involve an eternity of grinding.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

RareAcumen posted:

I never ended up beating DQV but the impression of Slime Knight that I had was that it was like having another party member that fell off in effectiveness the closer the end of the game.

All monsters fall off in the endgame thanks to the humans that become available. But slime knight is like a second hero early on, and they're really easy to recruit. Golem is the only other comparable monster IMO and it's not available until considerably later (and also can't heal others).

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Murdaw shouldn't be immune to Sap? Milly gets Kabuff at 18 but you can't get Oomph or Insulatle right now. Either way it's the hardest fight in the game for quite some time.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Shepherd.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If you're class changing a mage it's worth it to hold out until you get Oomph at or around level 21. It's super not worth it to get all the spells unless you're a sage, you will never cast Kamikazee or Hocus pocus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Hell I put the Hero in the wagon whenever I can in the games where you can't turn them over to AI.