Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Stefu posted:

Yeah and in the next government they won't achieve anything thanks to their dumbass "This election is about liberalism versus conservatism! We're the anti-TF! Oh look now they are twice as popular as us!" strategy so you might as well vote for the Left

Oh come on. I have practically two choices here: Either I vote for the greens and hope that they get into the government and manage to block the loving Kepu for another four years, or I vote for the Left and see how Kepu fucks the enviroment up even worse. I practically must vote strategically here because I have too much at stake. Don't get me started on the Perssuomalaiset.

In the long run stuff like student financial aims or rights of homosexuals or subsidies for public transportation are completely political and relatively time-independent. If they're all messed up, you can always fix them later. What you leave undone now does not mean that you cannot fix it later. That is not the case with enviromental issues which are (surprisingly) a huge loving deal for me.

Essentially I'm not voting for the best option nor what I would love to vote, just trying to minimize the damage according to my own priorities. I'd rather take blocking of irrepailable harm and nothing else done than support useless opposition votes for four more years. I frankly will choose enviroment above same-sex marriage or fixing of student financial aid or more investment in [whatever sociopolitical goal you have] , because once you build Kollaja or Vuotos or promote even more peat harvesting in the mires, you will never, ever get them back. Period. I don't even dare to think how horrible the enviromental situation would be if the greens had stayed outside the government - it's not that great right now but the alternative is essentially :suicide:

Hey I'm an one-issue strategic voter whooppedoo

edit: If there was even a remote chace of left-green or leftist government I would immediately vote the Left, but I just don't see it happening :(

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would like to make my mind about True Finns if I knew what their agenda was. Between the party's prominent names such as Soini, Hullu-uho, Halme (R.I.P.), Veltto Virtanen, Uusipaavalniemi and Vistbacka I'm totally unable to recognize a coherent political agenda. All parties speak with more than just one voice, but others have one or two main lines, like leftist Social Democrats (Tuomioja, Jurpilainen) and rightwing Social Democrats (Ahtisaari, Lipponen).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I want to vote Left, but I'm in the Kymi constituency, so a vote for LA is essentially a vote for Pentti Tiusanen, a former Stasi spy and alleged rapist. Not entirely comfortable with that, so might go with Green. Who don't have any chance at all of getting a candidate through in Kymi, so that's a bad option too... Does Southeast Finland have any redeeming features anyway?

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Ras Het posted:

I want to vote Left, but I'm in the Kymi constituency, so a vote for LA is essentially a vote for Pentti Tiusanen, a former Stasi spy and alleged rapist. Not entirely comfortable with that, so might go with Green. Who don't have any chance at all of getting a candidate through in Kymi, so that's a bad option too... Does Southeast Finland have any redeeming features anyway?

easier to go on a booze trip to Russia

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Ras Het posted:

Watch birds, drive away

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ras Het posted:

Forests are kind of nice. In summer, at the least. Look better on winter but I wouldn't want to walk there then.

ToxicAsset
Apr 30, 2009
el perkele, based on the greens taking part in the goverment taxation plan going for more peat, coal and heavily subsidied wood("risupaketti") instead of cleaner gas before the taxation plan blew up in the media, I would say that the greens can be scared into accepting Vuotos without much effort. To my understanding, they supported more co2 producing tax plan and "the only 2 out of 3 new nuclear plants get permits"-thing wasn't a concession to them, but to Centre Party.

Generally I feel the greens don't have any scientific expertise behind their plans and their lack of science guys and girls results in Coalition and Centre Party being able to spin anything they want as scientifically green to the Greens.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city

Ras Het posted:

I don't know about the rape thing (if that's true then def. don't vote for him) but he's made some noise about climate issues recently, which grants him some points in my book.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I wonder if the success of the TF will do anything to get the political landscape to shift after being pretty stagnant for several decades. If a single-issue populist party with some diffuse political program can get the masses behind them, then will the parties try to differentiate themselves and start pushing genuinely different agendas and policies?

It seems that the Finnish elections will follow the general trend of the rest of Europe with neo-liberal right-wing parties getting into power. Hopefully this is just an anomaly and a form of protest, not a sign of things to come and the left will regroup and come back the next election cycle.

While the current dismantling of the welfare state is worrying, there is perhaps cause for a re-evaluation on how to approach it with the current demographic and economic climate in Finland. How, I don't know.

Basically what little good I hope to come from this election is a more lively and open debate of some core issues that have been ignored and as a result let a party led by a loudmouth toad outflank the rest.

I will probably vote for LA.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city

Emetic Hustler posted:

While the current dismantling of the welfare state is worrying, there is perhaps cause for a re-evaluation on how to approach it with the current demographic and economic climate in Finland. How, I don't know.

I'm all for this, but the problem is there's only one narrative for it right now: nobody gets anything from the state, pensions & healthcare are YOUR responsibility. Yeah yeah there are models of basic income in discussion, but until one of the big three (or should I say four) becomes interested, it's not going to get anywhere. I'd like to discuss the future of the welfare state and the challenges it faces, but it seems like if we stop fighting for what we have, we'll lose everything because it's not the good guys that have the narrative, but the evil (the bourgeoisie) who do.

Edit: Oh, I realized I haven't said who I'm voting for. It's the Left - I might give a protest vote to the Communists but the situation is way too bad to do that.

Jack Flint fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 18, 2011

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Serious question, not trying to be an rear end: How do you Finns know English so well? Just reading what you're typing without knowing where you're from I would just think you're a typical citizen of Internet America.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

DrPop posted:

Serious question, not trying to be an rear end: How do you Finns know English so well? Just reading what you're typing without knowing where you're from I would just think you're a typical citizen of Internet America.

We're taught English from a pretty early age. I think it's from the third grade onwards, but I'm not 100% sure as I attended elementary school completely in English. This continues for six years or so, with most people (I'm guessing pretty much all Finns on SA) attending an additional ~3 years worth of courses in secondary education before heading off to Uni or whatever.

On top of that we watch our movies with subtitles instead of having them dubbed and are locked inside due to the cold/snow/darkness so there's a lot of dicking around
on the internet etc.

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh, man. I really don't want to contribute to the WAVE OF REACTIONARY CONSERVATISM SWEEPING OVER EUROPE, but I am in the Oulu district and every video I see by tykylevits is making it harder to fight the urge. It's not just that I'd be contributing to the gallery of unique personalities run by the Very Special Finns, it's that I even only disagree with like a quarter of his policies, which is drat good for a Finn with any chance of getting elected ever. Wish I could just vote for this guy and gently caress the rest of the party :(.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad

Duke of Straylight posted:

Oh, man. I really don't want to contribute to the WAVE OF REACTIONARY CONSERVATISM SWEEPING OVER EUROPE, but I am in the Oulu district and every video I see by tykylevits is making it harder to fight the urge. It's not just that I'd be contributing to the gallery of unique personalities run by the Very Special Finns, it's that I even only disagree with like a quarter of his policies, which is drat good for a Finn with any chance of getting elected ever. Wish I could just vote for this guy and gently caress the rest of the party :(.
Consider that getting both tykylevits and a licensed shaman in the parliament might contribute to a spiritual healing of politics.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Duke of Straylight posted:

I live in Tampere and would just like to say that Veltto sucks

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

ToxicAsset posted:

el perkele, based on the greens taking part in the goverment taxation plan going for more peat, coal and heavily subsidied wood("risupaketti") instead of cleaner gas before the taxation plan blew up in the media, I would say that the greens can be scared into accepting Vuotos without much effort. To my understanding, they supported more co2 producing tax plan and "the only 2 out of 3 new nuclear plants get permits"-thing wasn't a concession to them, but to Centre Party.

Generally I feel the greens don't have any scientific expertise behind their plans and their lack of science guys and girls results in Coalition and Centre Party being able to spin anything they want as scientifically green to the Greens.

But Greens stated that they would participate in the government only if the river protection law was left untouched (back in 2007)?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

ToxicAsset posted:

I would like to point out that Coalition is already the "crazy U.S. Republicans"-like party if you consider what their invidual MPs promise in their ads and in what they cut in budgets. Only reason they aren't hanging gays to get votes is that the religious right is splintered in other issues between Coalition("kill the gays and the poors"-RR), CD("kill the gays, but not the poors"-RR), CP("Kill the gays and poors, but hands off my rural subsidies"-RR) and TF("kill the gays, foreigners and the elite"-RR).

I would vote for SDP if they weren't so blatantly "the Coalition that cries when it destroyes the welfare state" and I would vote for the LA if they weren't so desperately trying to keep their small amonut of hippyveganfeministidealistanarchoprimivist-voters from leaping to the Greens.

I don't think what you say is true at all. NC is to the left of Democrats, certainly not anything comparable to the Republicans. I'm not saying this to defend them because I support them, but because exaggerations like this are simply completely false.

Anyway I'm not sure who I will vote for myself. I moved to the middle of nowhere recently, and only the candidates of the four big ones really have any chance of getting elected here. I will probably either vote for SDP on the basis of them being the least worst, or the vote Greens/Left on the hopes of getting the election system changed one day.

Sosiz
Nov 8, 2009
I'll probably vote for left, I'm seriously worried about TF getting a big victoy in this election. I mean, Soini (being highly religious and conservative) is against abortion, same sex marriages, female priests, it's basically like voting for tea party in the US. I think the biggest problem is people only thinking about immigrants (ISLAM, MUSLIMS!! :argh:) and not the other things TF is also against.
Do not forget that a vote for TF is a vote for Christian Democrats because of electoral alliance :ssh:

Sosiz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

ToxicAsset posted:

We're changing that. You're more than welcome to help.

I'm certain the Greens will do fairly well in these elections, ironically thanks to the True Finns. The main problem of the greens is that their main voter base is usually pretty mobile and politically apathetic, save a small core group of voters. Traditionally the three big ones used to do an extensive common survey to find out what topics make their supporters tick and how to draw in undecided voters. Traditionally the focus of the survey has been on how to pull in green-leaning voters, but now that the big three are losing voters right and left to the TF, the foci of the campaigns have gone from "how do we out-Green the Greens" to "How do we out-True the True Finns".

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 19, 2011

ToxicAsset
Apr 30, 2009

El Perkele posted:

But Greens stated that they would participate in the government only if the river protection law was left untouched (back in 2007)?
Well, according to [url=http://yle.fi/uutiset/talous_ja_politiikka/2011/01/verkkouutiset_ydinvoima_vihreille_kynnyskysymys_hallitukseen_2320931.html]this[/quote] and ]url=http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/kotimaa.shtml/2006/04/439875/cronberg-ydinvoima-ei-ehdoton-kynnyskysymys]this[url], nuclear power was/is a thing that heavily affects if they participate in the goverment. Still they "allowed" two nuclear plants to get permissions. I'm pretty sure Greens' leadership are just counting on SDP and Coalition to be against CP's plans for vuotos so that they wouldn't have to choose between a spot i the goverment and vuotos.

Zilkin posted:

I don't think what you say is true at all. NC is to the left of Democrats, certainly not anything comparable to the Republicans. I'm not saying this to defend them because I support them, but because exaggerations like this are simply completely false.
I will defend my statement and repeat that Coalition are "Finland's Republican Party", there are no major parties to their right, they have several MPs of religious right, they have loads of supporters of flat tax, they are against increasing taxes on wages and capital income etc. and they are want to privatize healthcare and pensions or at least have pushed for tax breaks for private pensions.

They are to the left of Democrats on many things, but the "centre" of US. politics is so far to the right that no finnish parties fit on the U.S. spectrum really. Generally you could stuff both of the major parties in the USA into Coalition as they are the only party that's rightwing enough. I mean they have the "people on unemployment benefits shouldn't be able to afford a cellphone"-thinkers that to my undestanding tend to be in Republican Party in USA. Yeah there are people in Coalition that are far more left than that, but Coalition still has all or almost all of those who would join Republican Party if they could.

ToxicAsset fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 19, 2011

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Sosiz posted:

Do not forget that a vote for TF is a vote for Christian Democrats because of electoral alliance :ssh:

They had one for the European Parliament elections but not for this election. I don't think TF has any electoral alliances for this election.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

News of the day: Some magazines make articles about what Finland would look like if Soini's agenda came true. TFs are aghast about the horrible offense of saying what Soini actually thinks.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Stefu posted:

News of the day: Some magazines make articles about what Finland would look like if Soini's agenda came true. TFs are aghast about the horrible offense of saying what Soini actually thinks.

Can we get a link for this?

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Can we get a link for this?

http://www.iltalehti.fi/vaalit/2011022213190880_vl.shtml
http://www.vihrealanka.fi/teemat/tervetuloa-perus-suomeen

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Thanks, these are great. I especially like the "We must keep the countryside alive, but not raise any taxes and be sure to lower the amount of jobs available with the government!".

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I think the elections will be hilarious. I assume there shall be flinging of poo poo on an unprecedented scale. Also laugh at those who think they will now quickly have to emigrate to la-la land if TF makes it to ruling party. If you guys are worried about the society creaking on it's seams you might as well magic up your huge payday now and move tomorrow, it does not matter who wins and who loses.

(Why is it that since the 80s, which is as far as I can remember, before every election the greatest show of independence of the mind, generosity of the spirit and scorn for others in Finland, others who, it is assumed, do not share the same vastness of intellect and vision, has been to threaten "moving out!" if X gets two votes too many. Honestly, why not rather stay and help sort poo poo out? What the gently caress. Is this as common elsewhere?)

What happens after the elections, probably not so hilarious, but right now everything is going worse before it gets better anyway: the old big three will keep pushing economic reform "umm... next week" election after election, continue loaning over the budget while trying to convince Brussels we really are EUROPEANS (really we are pls our brands are being green and human rights and... and... doing what you say if that's what it takes), hand out lucrative positions for political services and apart from some core issues otherwise implement almost interchangeable politics. (Example of "core" issue: Kepu wants to give farmers money. Ok. This will not make or break the welfare state either way.)

Until they get kicked around a bit. I hope.

On the other hand, if TF gets as many votes as the polls show it would be nothing short of a miracle if that confused tangle of potential candidates and political newbies get much done. Especially since their policies are rather... vague. Really you might have 10 completely different agendas from a TF candidate going from city to city, I don't think any other party is as diverse on their issues apart from the Greens, who smoothly jump from moral outrage to feminism to gay-rights to forcing vegan food to environment to fighting for the "poor" to taxing blue collar workers to death to first building and then furiously protesting against nuclear plants and back again.

The next term will be the most difficult in recent history for everyone not in the opposition regardless of who makes it.

One interesting thing about TF is that they supposedly have nobody after Soini, some freaks with bizarre Youtube videos and a couple of monstrous internet racists to vote for. However the 2008 local municipal elections show they do have a bunch of local names available, maybe unknown nationwide but popular in their hometowns who might not be utterly new to politics.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Ligur posted:

I think the elections will be hilarious. I assume there shall be flinging of poo poo on an unprecedented scale. Also laugh at those who think they will now quickly have to emigrate to la-la land if TF makes it to ruling party. If you guys are worried about the society creaking on it's seams you might as well magic up your huge payday now and move tomorrow, it does not matter who wins and who loses.

(Why is it that since the 80s, which is as far as I can remember, before every election the greatest show of independence of the mind, generosity of the spirit and scorn for others in Finland, others who, it is assumed, do not share the same vastness of intellect and vision, has been to threaten "moving out!" if X gets two votes too many. Honestly, why not rather stay and help sort poo poo out? What the gently caress. Is this as common elsewhere?)

This is true.

Throwing a tantrum and yelling empty threats don't exactly make anyone seem the noble defender of the welfare state.

"You voted WRONG, totally unlike I TOLD you! I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in you! Before this, I CARED about you, but now I am going to ABANDON you! I'll write in my diary (and the internet) how I wish you were DEAD!"

Everyone who cares about politics always seems to be a victim of someone. Whether it is the "neoliberals" or "etelän media", they're always out there to get you.

The traditional three big parties have each royally screwed up, trying to mash through some really unpopular laws. Soini and the True Finns have capitalized on each and every one of them, and now it seems to be the time to reap what has been sown. The rural wastewater regulation, the goddamn media charge (flat rate household tax, so gently caress the poor and the single), the PIGS loan, the proposed gun laws, Lex Nokia and Lex Karpela (nerd poo poo), and pretty much everything immigration-related recently. The TF have opposed all of these if I am not mistaken.

I'm not going to take anything personally, I'll just sit back, enjoy the ride, and wait for some sanity to return. It's not like God is going to come down from the heavens and help Soini ban abortion, so who cares about him and his opinions.

On the personal side: I've voted for Greens before, but this time I won't vote at all. The Greens have become (if they've ever been anything else) a party of identity politics for Helsinki liberals, and I don't care for that BS. All I want is good public transportation, cheap and nice-looking housing, and Soininvaara for the dictator. I will never vote for a party that loudly campaigns either for or against gay marriage. I mean, who the gently caress cares about marriage, gay or straight?

(Note to foreigners: Gay civil union is allowed and is legally almost the same thing as marriage, with lowered inheritance tax and widow's pension and all. This silly squabble is only about the word "marriage". I do not secretly want to smite the sodomites, they are not wicked or abhorrent to me.)

ToxicAsset
Apr 30, 2009

vuohi posted:

(Note to foreigners: Gay civil union is allowed and is legally almost the same thing as marriage, with lowered inheritance tax and widow's pension and all. This silly squabble is only about the word "marriage". I do not secretly want to smite the sodomites, they are not wicked or abhorrent to me.)
Actually I think there is still the fact that civil union is for gays only so being in a civil union "outs" gays in databases and forms.

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome

ToxicAsset posted:

Actually I think there is still the fact that civil union is for gays only so being in a civil union "outs" gays in databases and forms.

Also, separate but equal is not something we should strive for. And it's not just gay marriage we are (or should be) talking about - the term that is being thrown around these days is completely gender-neutral marriage, and there's a difference you know. I happen to think that making marriage completely gender neutral would be unequivocally a good thing, so why shouldn't we aim for that? And (gasp) maybe even campaign for it?

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
Why are so many people talking about voting for TF as a gently caress you to the big three? We have a bunch of other parties too you know. Yeah, the TF are an alternative, but they're also a bunch of insane bigots. I mean voting for a party spearheaded by a catholic, what the loving christ. What's so bad about voting to raise capital income taxes instead of hiking flat taxes like the value added tax (VAT) like the left are proposing, not that anyone seems to notice?

I'll probably vote for the Left Alliance. I'm still a student and low-income, so no thanks to the political right. Center, yeah no thanks. Social democrats, meh.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
If people don't want to "out" themselves in official forms, then change the forms. You don't need an election for that.

This is largely a pseudo problem in any case, because you have to inform state agencies about the identity of your spouse if you want to receive certain household benefits, so Adam and Steve will be outed anyway, unless they lie that they are just flat mates. Want the inheritance tax deduction for your same sex partner? Outed again.

What we really need is a change in culture so that you don't have to be in the closet, but that is obviously easier said than done, and harder to make into a simplistic campaign catchphrase.

iJay posted:

I happen to think that making marriage completely gender neutral would be unequivocally a good thing, so why shouldn't we aim for that? And (gasp) maybe even campaign for it?

Because I want to vote about issues that actually matter, such as taxation, basic income, energy/transportation, and building policies. Every reasonable liberal person is at least "live and let live" sort of indifferent about what sort of category gay relationships are filed under. This is why it's a cheap campaign tactic aimed at harvesting purely expressive votes that are cast against Soini and Räsänen, and I happen to dislike cheap tactics no matter who employs them. The elections should also be a way to bring (or re-establish) important issues to the public discussion and consciousness, and this chance is currently being wasted by spending most of the time by sneering at Timo Soini's opinions. It's also short sighted, for after this current fad is over, it's back to square one again but at least we've got the new marriage law, yays and hooray.

The Greens have just started to seem stupid and smug to me recently, the overblown importance of the marriage legislation is just a peak of it all. I could also add that the sex ratio of the wealthiest 1% of the people doesn't matter to me at all (I don't care about corporate board sex quotas, and I can't understand why anyone under the age of 30 does), I'd rather see schools improve the quality of their vegetarian food to make it appealing rather than forcing students to eat it, and I don't see how it is an essential freedom to camp in the middle of Helsinki much like I don't think it as an issue of free speech that you shouldn't say "neekeri" any more. Also gently caress the proposed state subsidies to expensive organic food, which might even happen because certain someones just love to milk more money for rural areas.

After the Greens clean up their act, I'll probably vote them again, but this year it's a definite no-no. It's likely that Greens are winning more than losing with their "Bob Helsinki" spirited campaign, so don't mind about little crank me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'm personally socially liberal who has voted finnish greens exclusively.,

I'm for the social liberal causes instead of economical policies, as I believe we can negotiate on how economy is best run, but not on social policy, which has simple good/less good axis.
That makes me green by default. Other parties define themselves either through economic policies or their christian roots. Neither which are important for me.

I'm pro-nuclear, but not heavily. I'm more pro-energy independence from russia. We are starting to mine our own nuclear material, which is good grounds for domestic energy productions without huge pollutions.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad

vuohi posted:

Because I want to vote about issues that actually matter, such as taxation, basic income, energy/transportation, and building policies. Every reasonable liberal person is at least "live and let live" sort of indifferent about what sort of category gay relationships are filed under. This is why it's a cheap campaign tactic aimed at harvesting purely expressive votes that are cast against Soini and Räsänen, and I happen to dislike cheap tactics no matter who employs them. The elections should also be a way to bring (or re-establish) important issues to the public discussion and consciousness, and this chance is currently being wasted by spending most of the time by sneering at Timo Soini's opinions. It's also short sighted, for after this current fad is over, it's back to square one again but at least we've got the new marriage law, yays and hooray.

The Greens have just started to seem stupid and smug to me recently, the overblown importance of the marriage legislation is just a peak of it all. I could also add that the sex ratio of the wealthiest 1% of the people doesn't matter to me at all (I don't care about corporate board sex quotas, and I can't understand why anyone under the age of 30 does), I'd rather see schools improve the quality of their vegetarian food to make it appealing rather than forcing students to eat it, and I don't see how it is an essential freedom to camp in the middle of Helsinki much like I don't think it as an issue of free speech that you shouldn't say "neekeri" any more. Also gently caress the proposed state subsidies to expensive organic food, which might even happen because certain someones just love to milk more money for rural areas.

On some instances it's not even about milking money to the boonies, it's about hot air and trying to ensure Centre-party dominance while actively sodomizing the provinces.

Voting for TF isn't necessarily about "dumb hicks who hate furrigners, EU and swedish-finns" rather than a statement about the state of Finnish politicians. The only way to make main parties and their MPs hear people out is to vote for anyone who bothers to run on an opposition-themed campaign, because that cuts into their moeny and power and that's the only thing that CP, SDP and NC care about.

Essentially a large number of people think that four years of utter electoral chaos is a better alternative than four more years of the same old.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

immolationsex posted:

Why are so many people talking about voting for TF as a gently caress you to the big three?

Because for the longest time there were only three (and a half) choices and a smattering of small parties that never made any major impact. Now all of a sudden there's a fourth choice that stand on equal footing with the three old parties, in surveys at least.

Picking a party to vote this year seems impossible. TF is way too leftist economically, there's no way I'm voting anything on the left of SDP. Ever since Anne Holmlund hosed up the handling of gun laws in Finland I decided I can't vote them either. SDP lost their balls somewhere along the way. I don't live in the countryside. What's left?

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

Before, I killed just like that, but since I got out of jail I've been a lot more laid back.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Ever since Anne Holmlund hosed up the handling of gun laws in Finland I decided I can't vote them either. SDP lost their balls somewhere along the way. I don't live in the countryside. What's left?

Ah yes, guns. The most pressing political issue in Finland today.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Soi-hah posted:

Ah yes, guns. The most pressing political issue in Finland today.

Finland has 650 000 legal gun owners. Guns might not be the most pressing issue really, but the reality is for the past two years these 650 000 gun owners have had plenty of reason to feel they are being hosed with without any cause of their own. In a country the size of Finland that is a significant number of people.

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

Before, I killed just like that, but since I got out of jail I've been a lot more laid back.

Ligur posted:

Finland has 650 000 legal gun owners. Guns might not be the most pressing issue really, but the reality is for the past two years these 650 000 gun owners have had plenty of reason to feel they are being hosed with without any cause of their own. In a country the size of Finland that is a significant number of people.

We could do with less to be honest, but that's neither here or there. My point is that with the economy in constant danger of going down the shitter, the pace with which we are dismantling our social safety net and the popularity of what amounts to little less than a modern-day re-imaging of a fascist party we just MIGHT have a little more urgent issues at hand than what real or imagined inconveniences gun owners are facing.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Soi-hah posted:

My point is that with the economy in constant danger of going down the shitter, the pace with which we are dismantling our social safety net and the popularity of what amounts to little less than a modern-day re-imaging of a fascist party we just MIGHT have a little more urgent issues at hand than what real or imagined inconveniences gun owners are facing.

This. Also I find it really loving hard to take the entire gun law issue seriously when the most vocal people raging about it on the internet are hardcore dudes like Jussi Halla-aho. I dunno, but if the gun laws make it more difficult for guys like that to own guns, well maybe just maybe it's... a good thing?

But yeah people getting all worked up about ultimately meaningless political questions like gun laws or mandatory Swedish is loving stupid when there are ACTUALLY IMPORTANT THINGS at stake in these elections. Yeah gently caress the welfare state, I want to fill less forms when getting a handgun license and I don't want to study Swedish in schools even though I'm well out of the school system and will probably never come face to face with a Swedish speaking person hurf durf *votes TF, is a huge idiot*

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The point is not about guns, per se. I'm just disgusted about how the legislation process was handled. It was rushed. All expert opinions were heard and still the legislation was written contrary to what would have been sensible. And in the end, we have a legislation that is almost impossible to follow to the letter, doesn't actually do what it was supposed to do (prevent school shootings) and has apparently several implementations depending on where you happen to live.

For example, one part of the process was getting a doctors permit for buying a gun. It was impossible to get since 1) doctors had to guarantee you wouldn't go nuts and 2) they were responsible for you. Threats of suing got public clinics finally to write these permits. Does that sound reasonable to you?

You can't legislate like that and get away with it. It could have been about forks and knives for all I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hey, it's a Finnish political thread, mandatory Swedish is an useless money and time waster and eradicating it would be one of the things contributing into better financial situation for the country as whole. It's not like I'm voting True Finns or deciding my entire vote on that issue, but it's worth mentioning. So are gun laws. So is gay marriage. It's not like things like these don't enter political discussion in other countries, or aren't important to parts of the electorate. Just as long as they don't eclipse everything else, and in Finland they certainly haven't. Most of the discussion is still about taxes, the welfare state, immigration etc.

• Locked thread