Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Hob_Gadling posted:

You can't legislate like that and get away with it. It could have been about forks and knives for all I care.

In this you're of course correct, but you're also in the minority since most people who are all worked up about the entire gun issue (at least on the internet) seem to be just all "they're taking MAH GUNS" or whatever. Anyway personally I don't give a gently caress about guns, it just annoys me when people choose who they vote for on such a flimsy basis. Yes, that's their right, but I guess I wish people would be a bit more aware about the parties' and candidates' stances on the economy and stuff instead of just minor or even totally irrelevant issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

Before, I killed just like that, but since I got out of jail I've been a lot more laid back.

DarkCrawler posted:

Hey, it's a Finnish political thread, mandatory Swedish is an useless money and time waster and eradicating it would be one of the things contributing into better financial situation for the country as whole.

I decided on the previous first page (drat your sniping oratiO_obliqua) that I would not get into this non-issue any further but I cannot help myself: how is cutting Swedish education going to contribute to the state's financial situation in any meaningful way? We are not going to save on salaries since presumably we are not just going to cut ~6 hours per week off our curriculum and the cost of everything else (textbooks etc) is minuscule compared to that. Do you have any concrete numbers on what sort of savings would be achieved or is this yet another talking point without substance?

quote:

It's not like I'm voting True Finns or deciding my entire vote on that issue, but it's worth mentioning. So are gun laws. So is gay marriage.

I'm going to just ignore the fact that you just made a major human rights/equality issue to be on par with gun laws and Swedish education because holy poo poo dude.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Soi-hah posted:

We could do with less to be honest, but that's neither here or there. My point is that with the economy in constant danger of going down the shitter, the pace with which we are dismantling our social safety net and the popularity of what amounts to little less than a modern-day re-imaging of a fascist party we just MIGHT have a little more urgent issues at hand than what real or imagined inconveniences gun owners are facing.

I know what you mean, but the gun owners possibly don't share your view and that's what matters when talking about them, doesn't it? If they feel annoyed enough with, say, SDP, it might affect their voting behaviour and there's many of them.

You did understand this didn't you?

I might add the gay marriage thing is a similar non-issue. If you are really interested about the economic crisis and social safety nets, you shouldn't be that worried about what gay marriage is called in paper should you be? It has no economic impact and will not collapse any social budgets.

oratiO_obliqua posted:

In this you're of course correct, but you're also in the minority since most people who are all worked up about the entire gun issue (at least on the internet) seem to be just all "they're taking MAH GUNS" or whatever. Anyway personally I don't give a gently caress about guns, it just annoys me when people choose who they vote for on such a flimsy basis. Yes, that's their right, but I guess I wish people would be a bit more aware about the parties' and candidates' stances on the economy and stuff instead of just minor or even totally irrelevant issues.

I know a huge bunch of people who shoot guns as a hobby, compete around Europe etc. Most of them don't write on the internet but were a little bit "worked up" about the new gun legislation (not a gun owner myself though) so I might have some perspective that comes from experience. You might, if you don't have any shooting friends, have a somewhat limited contact or perspective about them gun owners. Most of the 650 00, you understand, are not internet celebrities but hobbyists or hunters for who the whole thing wouldn't have been an issue until they noticed it became very difficult to get or renew their permits.

Anyway you'll be glad to hear that in the end, all things accounted for, those who ultimately choose who to vote for only because of the gun -issue are probably a tiny minority so you in turn shouldn't be worked up over that and how flimsy a basis it is.

Of course there is some synergy between gun ownership and state control in general, people who don't like bureaucrats telling them what to do are in general probably against the gun legislation as well. It isn't an accident the parties who organized the new gun legislation or somewhat on the left or at least observed as being so. The most rabid anti-gun speech seems to come from SDP and Greens, and IIRC RKP and the Lefts didn't even bother to answer when, say, Rekyyli magazine tried to survey party attitudes towards the new legislation, not entirely sure. (TF typically, even though leftists in economic sense, wanted away with the legislation.)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 26, 2011

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

Before, I killed just like that, but since I got out of jail I've been a lot more laid back.

Ligur posted:

I know what you mean, but the gun owners possibly don't share your view and that's what matters when talking about them, doesn't it? If they feel annoyed enough with, say, SDP, it might affect their voting behaviour and there's many of them.

You did understand this didn't you?

First, I don't think there is this big block of people called "gun owners" that vote uniformly in one direction or another or even have anything resembling similar political views.

Second, even if they did, it would still make gun laws a non-issue. Your whole point boils down to "there are a lot of people that are affected by a law". What of it? A lot more people are affected by various traffic laws and untold number of people claim they are hosed up in one way or another as well. Yet they are a non-issue compared to the big picture and thus are not part of the general political discourse.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I don't know man, all those people affected by various laws or who otherwise feel they are hosed over and it certainly seems to be a part of the political discourse.

The gun issue is just one small issue amongst many others. It certainly isn't a huge thing in these elections even though it came up in the thread. Just more grist in the mill of unpopular moves by the current government, ehh.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Ligur posted:

Of course there is some synergy between gun ownership and state control in general, people who don't like bureaucrats telling them what to do are in general probably against the gun legislation as well. It isn't an accident the parties who organized the new gun legislation or somewhat on the left or at least observed as being so. The most rabid anti-gun speech seems to come from SDP and Greens, and IIRC RKP and the Lefts didn't even bother to answer when, say, Rekyyli magazine tried to survey party attitudes towards the new legislation, not entirely sure. (TF typically, even though leftists in economic sense, wanted away with the legislation.)

Left Alliance was somewhat split on this issue - it pushed for changes in the proposed law. During the final vote Mustajärvi, Kyllönen and Valpas (IIRC) voted against the law and the others voted for it. And, of course, in the Internet forums plenty of people were willing to blame commie Stalinist leftists for a right-wing government's law.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Stefu posted:

Left Alliance was somewhat split on this issue - it pushed for changes in the proposed law. During the final vote Mustajärvi, Kyllönen and Valpas (IIRC) voted against the law and the others voted for it. And, of course, in the Internet forums plenty of people were willing to blame commie Stalinist leftists for a right-wing government's law.

I think SDP also very split on the issue. It's not difficult to believe THE LEFT-EVIL-STALIN-FASCISTS did so as well.

In fact, I can't name any party out of the bat who was amonuumi for the law while it passed quite easily. RKP is an unknown but that's their choice, and there might be a few old RKP voters that hunt with shotguns :)

Isn't that something.

Also why I included "observed as thus" in my post. Many things are mostly observed as something pertaining to a certain party or political clique, which doesn't mean they truly are thus. If people were to figure this out..

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 26, 2011

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
Let's argue about something else than guns.

So the True Finns election program is out.

Feels like they made their manifesto to suck Centre dry of their wavering support -segment. Personally I saw it like this

Pluses: policies on
Immigration
Criminals
Energy

Minuses: policies on
Mild drugs ("we don't believe in there being mild drugs")
Same-sex couples

No sure: policies on
Rural areas
EU (lol, 7. TF EU Policies - where's a EU there's a problem)
Taxation (points about progressive tax)

Then again, find me a party on Finnish Parliament that's actually followed through on their promises. I'll just have to wait and see. Have the other parties published their manifestos and what do you think about them?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Metrilenkki posted:

Let's argue about something else than guns.

So the True Finns election program is out.

Feels like they made their manifesto to suck Centre dry of their wavering support -segment. Personally I saw it like this

Pluses: policies on
Immigration
Criminals
Energy

Minuses: policies on
Mild drugs ("we don't believe in there being mild drugs")
Same-sex couples

No sure: policies on
Rural areas
EU (lol, 7. TF EU Policies - where's a EU there's a problem)
Taxation (points about progressive tax)

Then again, find me a party on Finnish Parliament that's actually followed through on their promises. I'll just have to wait and see. Have the other parties published their manifestos and what do you think about them?

TF party program:
Art should serve the state
Modern degenerate art is horrendous and the funding should be cut, the nation must look back at Sibelius for guidance
The real culture are rural history museums and fishermen from Kainuu hunting bear with sharp sticks, not the degenerate art (degenerate art)
Strenght through unity
Immorality reigns supreme, we must return to past, when things were pure
Nationality and christendom are the key to morality
The culture must be taken care with political means
We must teach the children how great Finland is, and the place to teach this is school.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Green party program:

Mean talk to be outlawed
Definite no for nuclear power
All drugs legalized – more authority to the police
Death to robber barons
Guns away from everyone but members of state authority
More magic walls to give money
Everyone to buy locally-produced organic foods
Definite yes for nuclear power
Civil rights away from people outside capital area
More salary for prisoners
Electricity to be created by exotic vibrations
Things change, we care poo poo
Mandatory empathy circles to schools, more classes on how lovely finnish people are.

edit: so let's hear Green party's campaign manifesto and your opinions on it.

Metrilenkki fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 26, 2011

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

Let me just quote this piece of bullshit:

"The magnificent paintings of Edelfelt and Gallen-Kallela and world-famous symphonies of Sibelius have won international renown, but their meaning as a part of every Finn's common knowledge has diminished. Art in all its forms is one of the cornerstones of culture. Finnish art, both representative and non-representative has traditionally been well-respected. Our literature, architecture, art, design, compositions etc are built on strong foundations. The True Finns feel that the preservation of the Finnish cultural heritage is paramount to supporting post-modern modern art. The state-granted cultural subsidies must be directed so that they strengthen the Finnish identity. Supporting faux-artistic postmodern experiments on the other hand should be left to private individuals and the marketplace."

That is all.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Metrilenkki posted:

Green party program:

Mean talk to be outlawed
Definite no for nuclear power
All drugs legalized – more authority to the police
Death to robber barons
Guns away from everyone but members of state authority
More magic walls to give money
Everyone to buy locally-produced organic foods
Definite yes for nuclear power
Civil rights away from people outside capital area
More salary for prisoners
Electricity to be created by exotic vibrations
Things change, we care poo poo
Mandatory empathy circles to schools, more classes on how lovely finnish people are.

You do realize there's a difference between shouting tired clichés and actually pasting TF party program, right?

Here you go:
"The art in all it's forms is one of the basic blocks of culture. Finnish art, both performing and abstract, has been traditionally held in high regard. Our literature, architecture, visual arts, design, musical compositions etc. have a solid basis. The True Finns feel that preserving finnish cultural inheritance is more important than supporting postmodern modern art. The state-alloted culture support funds must be directed to strengthen the Finnish identity. Fakeartsy postmodern experiments should be left for private markets."

"History lessons must emphasize the finnish miracle of a poor and distant country became the world-acknowledged nation of wealth and progress - even without great natural resources. It must be stated how important the independence has been to a finnish success story and how it was spared in the wars when survival itself was miraculous."

blah blah I can't be bothered but it has golden stuff, like long parts of whining how the students are not making kids, local culture is really important and the youth must understand their local culture (which is apparently something from 19th century because they only mention really old artists and rural museums), Finland must be proud of it's culture unless it's in swedish in which case gently caress it and slash funding (even from Yle!), the local schools are really important for a finnish state of mind yaada yaada.

It seriously reads like something straight outta 1930s

edit: Soihaaaaa:argh:

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 26, 2011

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

El Perkele posted:

"History lessons must emphasize the finnish miracle of a poor and distant country became the world-acknowledged nation of wealth and progress - even without great natural resources. It must be stated how important the independence has been to a finnish success story and how it was spared in the wars when survival itself was miraculous."

On second thought lets quote this too. And since we seem to be on a roll here, let's do one more:

"Society should especially support local culture directed to young people, the production of which the youth would also participate in. In the era of globalization our younger generation should, in addition to Finnishness, be aware of their own local roots in cities and suburbs. Local culture consists of many different aspects; folk music and different types of local history museums are primarily representing the cultural individuality of different regions."

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Then again, there have been some fine expressions of local cultures and traditions recently such as Katariina Lillqvist making an animation based on Tampere working-class tradition of making gay Mannerheim jokes. I wonder what the TFs thought of that

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Stefu posted:

Then again, there have been some fine expressions of local cultures and traditions recently such as Katariina Lillqvist making an animation based on Tampere working-class tradition of making gay Mannerheim jokes. I wonder what the TFs thought of that

This animation thing sounds a bit like faux-artistic, postmodern experimentation to me :colbert:

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Yeeah, now that I read it again the culture-parts have a very IKL-impivaara vibe. I think that healthy patriotism is only a good thing for a country as small as Finland but their ideas just comes across as lame. I feel a bit angry about them having stuff like that there, can't really defend that. What's more annoying is that something as retarded as that'll be used against them.

At least it isn't the usual interchangeable manifesto with "our main theme is more nice things" and "200 000 new jobs and a piece of Moon for everyone". And it speaks volumes that that'll still be a major selling point.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Metrilenkki posted:

Yeeah, now that I read it again the culture-parts have a very IKL-impivaara vibe. I think that healthy patriotism is only a good thing for a country as small as Finland but their ideas just comes across as lame.

Healthy patriotism, respect of the Finnish language, history and culture is totally fine in my books (even though I'm a die-hard Leftie), but the problem with TF/IKL/Suomen Sisu (same thing really) type "patriotism" and promotion of "Finnish culture" is that their version is some idealized mishmash of 19th century nationalism and pre-war ruralism which has never even existed as such. I've always found it funny when these guys are like "WE MUST PRESERVE THE FINNISH CULTURE" and then you ask them "Ah, what do you mean by this Finnish culture? 19th century nationalism? Early 20th century high art? Pre-war lumberjack ruralism? Post-war revival with Tauno Palo, Kulkurin valssi and war reparations? 60s counterculture and underground? 80s americanism? What? They're all Finnish culture you know" and they go all "Well uhhhh FINNISH CULTURE"

It's great that the most vocal proponents of Finnish cultural preservation are dudes who have the most narrow view of it and can barely express themselves properly in the Finnish language.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

El Perkele posted:

It seriously reads like something straight outta 1930s

The political programme of the young TF's is an even better goldmine for terrifyingly hilarious quotes:

quote:

Cultural unity as a guarantee for rules and propriety

A monolithic culture creates the need for punishing people who deviate radically or attempt to change the prevailing norms and values of society. Democracy is needed so that this can be done in a proper fashion rather than arbitrarily. Democracy is a majority rule based on a monolithic culture and populism. Cultural unity enables democracy and thus common rules, which are in the end enforced as laws.
I wonder what kind of punishments they envision for social deviants, whatever that means. These paragraph titles sound oddly familiar too:

quote:

A privileged elite is misleading the citizens

quote:

A global world order destroys important creativity

quote:

The work of global capital is social parasitism

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As an American this thread confuses me. Are these parties actually different in some way, and not just all neoliberals out to sell off government for pennies on the dollar to private interests, and funnel your tax dollars to billionaires? I am not used to parties being distinguishable in any way.

Soi-hah
May 21, 2005

Le raqueur de munes.

quote:

Cultural unity as a guarantee for rules and propriety

A monolithic culture creates the need for punishing people who deviate radically or attempt to change the prevailing norms and values of society. Democracy is needed so that this can be done in a proper fashion rather than arbitrarily. Democracy is a majority rule based on a monolithic culture and populism. Cultural unity enables democracy and thus common rules, which are in the end enforced as laws.

I've read so much of this sort of bullshit lately that I actually misread the above as "...punishing people who deviate racially..." and wasn't even surprised.

I was relieved to be in error, though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

shovelbum posted:

Are these parties actually different in some way

No, they're all fundamentally lukewarm social democrats.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like we have a lot of left-leaning voters here. Anyone else lament about the lack of realistic right-wing choices?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 27, 2011

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I think there has been kind of a mild change in the last days. The TF youth paper and the actual Tesco Value Finns election program paper have shown lots of people how full of poo poo that entire party is.

Maybe some people will stay home instead of protest voting, I don't know.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Metrilenkki posted:

At least it isn't the usual interchangeable manifesto with "our main theme is more nice things" and "200 000 new jobs and a piece of Moon for everyone". And it speaks volumes that that'll still be a major selling point.

Yes. Of course the True Finns program is half full of retarded poo poo, but I really can't understand how the other parties have the nerve to promise 50.000-100.000 new jobs every election, and never deliver them. The power that the state has on employment seems very limited, and so the best they can do is hope that the market and lucky entrepreneurship create the jobs so that the politicians can take the credit for them.

What I really find hardest to understand in the TF is their absolutely steadfast and irrational opposition to the EU. I guess everyone has already forgotten what sort of currency devaluation hell it used to be here in Finland before the Markka was left for the whims of the market in the 90's, not long before we adapted Euro as our currency. Finnish living expenses have never grown this slow, and it is easy to buy cheaper goods from other EU countries without any customs charges. A lot of great stuff has come out of the EU, but I guess some people do not notice things that work silently in the background.

(Not trying to claim that there are no bad sides to the EU, there are, but the good sides are pretty drat huge.)

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

vuohi posted:

What I really find hardest to understand in the TF is their absolutely steadfast and irrational opposition to the EU. I guess everyone has already forgotten what sort of currency devaluation hell it used to be here in Finland before the Markka was left for the whims of the market in the 90's, not long before we adapted Euro as our currency. Finnish living expenses have never grown this slow, and it is easy to buy cheaper goods from other EU countries without any customs charges. A lot of great stuff has come out of the EU, but I guess some people do not notice things that work silently in the background.

(Not trying to claim that there are no bad sides to the EU, there are, but the good sides are pretty drat huge.)

But but are sovereignty...

On a more serious note, the TF's anti-EU mentality fits into their weird and a bit anachronistic view of what Finland should be as a society and it's place in the world. What they don't understand, in my opinion, is that both Europe and the world have changed and trying to cling on to the old notion of Finland as this isle that is isolated from all the "turmoil" outside, and can manage on it's own is just plain silly and unfeasible. The worst thing a small country like Finland can do is knowingly limit it's chances of influence in the world which is exactly what leaving or "becoming more of an EU-sceptic country" would do. The decisions made in the EU affect us whether we're there to participate in the process or not. Atleast now our voices do get heard.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

shovelbum posted:

As an American this thread confuses me. Are these parties actually different in some way, and not just all neoliberals out to sell off government for pennies on the dollar to private interests, and funnel your tax dollars to billionaires? I am not used to parties being distinguishable in any way.

Ras Het posted:

No, they're all fundamentally lukewarm social democrats.
I contest this. Finnish parties are actually very divergent from each other when compared to most other countries. This doesn't really translate to anything for the man on the street though, because no party has ever formed a single-party government with a majority of the seats. Because the ruling parties have to come to some kind of compromise on policy issues in order to run the country, there is an inherent stability to Finnish policy, for the better and the worse.

Progress occurs at tectonic speed, but on the other hand you don't get the same kind of wild swings in policy like you get in the Anglo-American tradition of politics, where the first half of a government mandate is spent undoing all the sweeping reforms made by the previous government.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That sort of reflects on the parties though, they have no radical plans which could only be implemented in a single-party government, as it's an impossibility. All of their positions are slight modifications of the consensus, and half of the airtime before the elections is spent on debating possible coalitions. Like how Kiviniemi just said that she prefers SDP's tax plan over Kokoomus' hints at moving towards flat tax, but she didn't establish any position of her own.

Not saying this is a bad thing, looking at the quality of the candidates I'm glad that none of them get to make decisions on their own...

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Nesnej posted:

Because the ruling parties have to come to some kind of compromise on policy issues in order to run the country, there is an inherent stability to Finnish policy, for the better and the worse.

Historically this is not true. During Finlands independence, we've had a civil war due to differences in political views. After that, Winter war and Continuation war with "Terijoki government" (a communist puppet government that was supposed to take over after Stalin had conquered Finland). After that, president Kekkonen kicked governments out basically on a whim. After that we had the worst depression that Finland has ever suffered due to mishandling of currency policy.

The main reason for perceived stability are the civil servants. While politicians come and go civil servants tend to stay regardless of who is in power. Raimo Sailas is a prime example of this.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Soi-hah posted:

I decided on the previous first page (drat your sniping oratiO_obliqua) that I would not get into this non-issue any further but I cannot help myself: how is cutting Swedish education going to contribute to the state's financial situation in any meaningful way? We are not going to save on salaries since presumably we are not just going to cut ~6 hours per week off our curriculum and the cost of everything else (textbooks etc) is minuscule compared to that. Do you have any concrete numbers on what sort of savings would be achieved or is this yet another talking point without substance?

I'm not sure why cutting six hours of week of curriculum wasted on an useless subject would be so terrible. There are still separate French, German etc. classes and students who want to study Swedish could pick that language and study it on that time slot, reserved for optional languages. I think the time spent on other subjects in Finland is quite adequate seeing as how we top school stats internationally almost every time.

So that would save money. Maybe not huge amounts at the larger picture, but since it's now spent on something with zero value as a whole, any money is saved money.

Oh, and my previous points had plenty of substance, seeing as you obviously refused to address them in any fashion...

Soi-hah posted:

I'm going to just ignore the fact that you just made a major human rights/equality issue to be on par with gun laws and Swedish education because holy poo poo dude.

There is some dude who mentioned it as a non-issue here. I don't consider it that myself.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 28, 2011

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
I find it funny how the arguments for/against compulsory Swedish and compulsory military service are kinda the same, except that the TF-voting proles and the LA/G-smartypants switch sides.

"It shouldn't be called 'pakkoruotsi' (compulsory Swedish) like the proles do, it should be called 'hyötyruotsi' (useful Swedish)."

"It shouldn't be called 'asevelvollisuus' (compulsory enrollment) like the smartypants do, it should be called 'etuoikeus oppia maanpuolustusta' (privilege to learn to defend your country)."

As if changing a word would instantly change the reality and people's attitudes.

"It's not that hard, you should stop complaining and just do it, or are you some kind of a loser who can't? It's an useful skill and you'll gain an edge when seeking employment. You never know when it will be useful, and that day you'll regret not learning it. You'll lose nothing by learning (in this world of ours with no opportunity costs of any kind), so it will cost you nothing. You'll lose a connection to the majority of people if you don't do this like our tradition says. You owe it to our nation and the past generations. You have an attitude problem and you'll wise up when as you age. More girls will become available to you if you do it (SERIOUSLY)."

*barely passes the Swedish courses learning nothing, then gets conscripted into alternative service where mops up floors for a year* :finland:

Personally I'd love to see both of those draconian systems disappear. It would be beautiful if the TF actually managed to remove compulsory Swedish, then get voted out by a swing to the serious Left who remove compulsory military service.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Hah, discovered something fun today. The chairman of the North Kymeenlaakso TF's is a guy who earlier ran for parliament as a member of the Suomi nousee - Kansa yhdistyy-party. A party started by a dude, Väinö Kuisma, who earlier set up an organization called the Aryan Germanic Brotherhood.

Stay classy, TF.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Kemper Boyd posted:

Hah, discovered something fun today. The chairman of the North Kymeenlaakso TF's is a guy who earlier ran for parliament as a member of the Suomi nousee - Kansa yhdistyy-party. A party started by a dude, Väinö Kuisma, who earlier set up an organization called the Aryan Germanic Brotherhood.

Unfair as it is to use Väinö Kuisma as an idiot stamp, he's pretty much legendary. Everyone should see the Finnish movie classic "Sieg Heil Suomi". It features the old guard of Finnish neo-nazis, including Reichsführer Siitoin.

Anecdotally, I spent a while talking with Siitoin on a couple occasions. He seemed a nice old man, if constantly drunk. I can't imagine him being very serious with either the Nazi or occult stuff (but naturally know better, what with the arson charges that stuck and all).

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUpCgYgDa8

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

http://www.iltalehti.fi/vaalit/2011030113280485_vl.shtml

Too long; can't understand Finnish version here:

Green party candidate found out that plans to attack him in some way circulate in the Suomen Sisu organization. The same organization that the racist wing of the True Finns mostly belong to.

Nice to see the TF still keep it classy.

ToxicAsset
Apr 30, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

Green party candidate found out that plans to attack him in some way circulate in the Suomen Sisu organization. The same organization that the racist wing of the True Finns mostly belong to.

It's not about him being a Green Party candidate, but about him being the half-black, openly gay, musical loving symbol of whatever normal finnish racists and homophobes hate. After the attack on Gay Pride, I would say that Jani Toivola would be a target of attack plans even if he stayed out of politics because of him being more than a just another celebrity.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I wish he'd go to the police with this. Violence, especially planned and political violence is something we absolutely should not have to accept.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
That's 105% bullshit and you all know it, also nobody in Suomen Sisu apparently have any idea where such rumour originates from.

Keep in mind it's Iltalehti who are trying to give this a tabloid spin and in the story it says "a friend" of the person supposedly threatened "warned him" Suomen Sisu circulates some kind of attack message. I don't think friends of a gay half-kenian man would be privy to secret attack messages even if such existed. And second, it would be politically incredibly stupid to even joke on something like this in public so I don't think anyone would.

But the friend might either be the same sort of hysteric that have in the past claimed Suomen Sisu (an organization which apparently consists of bookish geeks of the worst geekery, computer nerds, fat municipal candiatates and some lawyers) are planning a violent overthrow in the style of storming the parliament, are armed and train heavily to this end, consider throwing people into ovens and whatnot. This in Finland where not a single sturmer has been seen rioting the streets and mugging people who don't vote far-right since WW2. Even skinheads vanished from the streets in the 90s. (Of course it's very important to the most deranged left-wing to create imaginary far-right, fascist enemies to fight against and spin tales of attacks against teh parliament by hitler-bigot-SS.)

However Finland has stupid late teenagers who do hate half-blacks, homos and everyone else different and who are capable of sending emails.

This probably goes to the same category as the various "death threats" against politicians which police are forced to "take seriously" on occasion because politicians are not generally aware of trolling or how teenagers utilize email and message boards.

A veteran of the police violence unit Juha Rautaheimon went public and was extremely pissed off earlier this winter he must use resources to investigate internet messages from example someone named imeparsaa@jakuole.fi (translation: suckadick@anddie.fi) "who [I quote] is obviously a pimpled teenager with the capability to user internet" and who had sent a message through a public board calling a politician names and proclaiming the politician "should be locked up!". While the violence unit investigated this shocking hate message, they had no time to look up into a case of a battered woman. Excellent!

Also this supposed threat plays nicely into the omg TF evil bs some people try to hype up. I don't think it's a surprise to anyone this sort of claim is made immediately before elections...

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 1, 2011

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

And now it's been already changed to a different "organization". If politicized reporters are going to publish lies they should atleast stay consistent with them. The sad thing is that now people will be more cynical to these kinds of news regardless of their truth level.

Nice to see "etelän media" still keeps it classy.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
This is interesting and I'm anxious to see how this pans out.

If some serious evidence isn't on the table soon, wanna take a guess what's gonna happen to the credibility of the victim/dissident image of the Homma folk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Oh indeed, now the news changed on the fly and apparently the threat originates from the Homma internet forum, and the person who has considered a bodyguard has received the warning in letter!

I already mentioned INTERNET THREATS and their credibility in Finland, not least because they are often made up on the spot, a misunderstanding or written by suckdick@diediedie.fi but also AFAIK the forum in question is, unlike most public boards, pretty tightly moderated and remove any threats post haste if such would appear. All of which lends the news even less credibility than before. Of course very liberal classification of threats can be utilized: a young feminist anarchist gay activist who wishes to drown Finland in molotov coctails heard someone on the forum said he wanted to give her a hug (she really needs a hug, she is pretty angry about everything) and went on to claim she has received obvious rape threats.

Also a bodyguard? I'm shall now utilize media reading skills acquired from following Finnish media:

My guess is someone from Iltalehti's toimitus called the guy, asked if he thinks he needs a bodyguard, the guy goes "uhh, what? Dunno, aren't they expensive?" and 10 minutes later they write a news piece stating "X considers bodyguards! AHHHH!"

I'm almost prepared to say this is the type of stuff that's been thrown at Suomen Sisu, or the forum in question, or Halla-aho so often without any result or evidence it would be a wonder anyone takes such a thing seriously - least of all people working in news rooms. Which they probably don't. I imagine them laughing while pressing the "submit" button, thinking about a possibly juicy story for the shelves tomorrow.

edit1: Hehe, I said the elections will be hilarious, I'm laughing my rear end off at this already (someone apparently called the supposedly threatened person, whose response was basically "uhh what the gently caress?" and that he was misquoted. Quite a bit, even).

I promise you guys this won't be the last time we get to read the most incredible and hilarious poo poo before the votes are counted :haw:

edit2: someone who used to be a member of the Green party just told within the Green Facebook Sphere furious moral resentment is quickly spreading. They haven't even noticed the news piece has changed. They also don't need any evidence. What supposedly happened is already quoted as fact. Hilarity continues. I can imagine there will be a bunch of Facebook groups clamouring about "the threat" tomorrow and sharp political lashes against TF for harbouring murderers, all using the misinterpreted and misquoted accident as a rock solid source. Bwahahaha.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 1, 2011

• Locked thread