Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Apparently I need to watch New Japan because this page read like it was in a different language

Edit: Probably just look up guys that are mentioned on this page and go from there

If you want the short and sweet:

Shibata: Kicks dudes really hard
Tanahashi: Japanese Cena, likes air guitar
Okada: Samoa Joe's henchman from 2010/2011 TNA
Nakamura: A Street Fighter character in real life
Ishii: Less neck than Lesnar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

If you want the short and sweet:

Shibata: Kicks dudes really hard
Tanahashi: Japanese Cena, likes air guitar
Okada: Samoa Joe's henchman from 2010/2011 TNA
Nakamura: A Street Fighter character in real life
Ishii: Less neck than Lesnar.

I was sold at air guitar. Thanks for the descriptions.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I was sold at air guitar. Thanks for the descriptions.

More terms from the last page:

Jado/Gedo: Ultimate jobbers and bookers
G1 Climax: 2 block tournament with 11 men in each held over a few weeks for a title shot at Japanese WrestleMania. Best tourney of all time, everyone loses and loses clean (example: Japanese Cena lost to Japanese Jey Uso one night and that's fine)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Makabe: Grabs them cakes. All of them.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Minoru Suzuki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5y2iVqCfw

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Toru Yano: low blows and DVD selling

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

More terms from the last page:

Jado/Gedo: Ultimate jobbers and bookers
G1 Climax: 2 block tournament with 11 men in each held over a few weeks for a title shot at Japanese WrestleMania. Best tourney of all time, everyone loses and loses clean (example: Japanese Cena lost to Japanese Jey Uso one night and that's fine)

Stuff like this is actually really helpful. I've tried looking into the New Japan threads before but it's kinda like the WWE discussion thread in that it lists current champions and has people talking about what's going on right now and not much else as far as newbie information.

Might just jump in and try to learn from there. I recognize AJ Styles so there's a start I suppose.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Stuff like this is actually really helpful. I've tried looking into the New Japan threads before but it's kinda like the WWE discussion thread in that it lists current champions and has people talking about what's going on right now and not much else as far as newbie information.

Might just jump in and try to learn from there. I recognize AJ Styles so there's a start I suppose.

Do it. I'll answer questions and so will everyone else. We love new blood.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Apparently I need to watch New Japan because this page read like it was in a different language

Edit: Probably just look up guys that are mentioned on this page and go from there

With Spandex has a neat 4-part primer on NJPW that helped me out a lot.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2014/08/get-into-this-an-introduction-to-new-japan-pro-wrestling-that-thing-everybody-likes-part-4/

That's part 4 but it has links to the first three parts.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

weekly font posted:

Do it. I'll answer questions and so will everyone else. We love new blood.

Going to read through the link that was just posted by Mob and then I'll give it a shot

Mob posted:

With Spandex has a neat 4-part primer on NJPW that helped me out a lot.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2014/08/get-into-this-an-introduction-to-new-japan-pro-wrestling-that-thing-everybody-likes-part-4/

That's part 4 but it has links to the first three parts.

This is pretty much exactly what I needed, thanks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

zrrgin posted:

The description I heard that I prefer is "Toru Yano: Bugs Bunny if he were a wrestler".

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The description I heard that I prefer is "Toru Yano: Bugs Bunny if he were a wrestler".

Toru Yano: v:shobon:v

Dude makes the best faces in the business

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

"Does he wet himself to make him look more glistening"

"Yes"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I look forward to a year in the future, when Karl Anderson's podcast is renamed "The Yeehaw Hootcast Hour" and is completely unintelligible to anyone who hasn't listened since day 1.

VVV drat I knew I forgot something-ski

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 20, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Day one-ski

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

I don't know much about Minoru Suzuki and Mecha Mummy, but I do know that they are the best wrestlers of all time, and this is the best match ever.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

CVagts posted:

I don't know much about Minoru Suzuki and Mecha Mummy, but I do know that they are the best wrestlers of all time, and this is the best match ever.

And to get an example of how talented MiSu is in a serious match, check out Tanahashi v Suzuki from Kings of Pro Wrestling 2012 or him versus AJ or Okada from this year's G1.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I had to restart today's B&V&C show, and skipped ahead a little too far, right in the middle of Bryan comparing Stephanie to the faun from Pan's Labyrinth... That may have been worth this month's subscription on it's own.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

CVagts posted:

If you liked it so much, good news, there was a rematch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXEw3OldLI

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

zrrgin posted:

Have you guys seen subtitled versions of the trailers for Yano’s DVDs? I kinda want to buy one now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBSOYmYZvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kb-8efgYjY

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is Honma kind of like a Japanese ziggler?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

he's better and wins less

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The Alvarez interview with Rosey is pretty sad. On the plus side, it sounds like he has his heart conditions under control and understands what he has to do to keep it under control.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i cant believe alvarez has seen pan's labyrinth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I "listened carefully" but I didn't hear "the great Steve Austin story!" on the latest Ross Report, unless it was in reference to the Jesus Pop that Austin got when he helped Foley win the title? Which is hardly some forgotten part of WWF history.

The interview wasn't bad. Like with Bully Ray and Ted Dibiase, Grande was a guy who knows when to speak up and not let JR meander through 17 different topics in the process of asking a question. I also thought JR seemed to make a bit of an effort in his Summerslam recap not to go off-message and instead just laid out exactly what he liked and didn't like about the show - he got so engaged with the Lesnar/Cena match that he had to fight the urge to start calling it in his backyard! :3:

Basically, after a few weeks of dreadful interviews and awful bitching sessions to start his shows, I feel like things have improved. He's still got the least good show of the three I listen to (Austin, Jericho and Ross) but it has been an improvement. Next week is with Schiavonne who I imagine will also manage to keep him on track, and it COULD be a fascinating interview.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

The Alvarez interview with Rosey is pretty sad. On the plus side, it sounds like he has his heart conditions under control and understands what he has to do to keep it under control.

This. He sounds really uncomfortable during the entire interview. He seems to be more comfortable when they get to wrestling at least.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

epitasis posted:

i cant believe alvarez has seen pan's labyrinth

that really freaked me out

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

He's still got the least good show of the three I listen to (Austin, Jericho and Ross)

You need to listen to Talk'n Shop. It's entered the top tier of wrestling podcasts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rodney the Piper posted:

You need to listen to Talk'n Shop. It's entered the top tier of wrestling podcasts.

I keep forgetting about it, I enjoyed the first one well enough but it's easy to forget when everything else is on podcast one I guess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Question: Dave, what would happen if Rey Mysterio would just kill a guy

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I keep forgetting about it, I enjoyed the first one well enough but it's easy to forget when everything else is on podcast one I guess.

It's the only show I listen to from MLW except for the occasional Jim Cornette fix. I'd at least put the MLW one your feed but set it to not automatically download so you can at least prompt yourself to listen to it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rodney the Piper posted:

Too sweet that. It immediately jumped to my favorite wrestling podcast. It really does feel like friends just shooting the poo poo about their funny stories and trying to piss off AJ Styles as much as possible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave shut up about how great the Austin interview was. :smith:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Pissing off World Champion Hoot by talking about how he needs to get off their dang property is the best.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Machine Gun being asked why Indietaker is called Indietaker by Gedo remains my favorite moment in Talkin' Shop history.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rodney the Piper posted:

Pissing off World Champion Hoot by talking about how he needs to get off their dang property is the best.

He wouldn't want to be on the property of an Obama hoot anyways.

...oh and Drew, watch out for that CHOKESLAM

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rodney the Piper posted:

that and LG getting yelled at by TNA for stealing a non-paying promoter's "title belts"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

that and LG getting yelled at by TNA for stealing a non-paying promoter's "title belts"

Which was a TNA knockoff belt!!!!

That's some bullshit-ski right there.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
how do I find this podcast on the downcast app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

If Dolph spent his formative years in deathmatch wrestling.

• Locked thread