Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Endorph posted:

The audio is kind of unlistenable, dude. It's okay to complain that something you wanted to listen to is hard to listen to. You don't have to be burning with anger to complain about that.

It's scratchy, and tough at parts, but not anywhere near unlistenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought the spanish crew was supposed to be good because nobody in charge knows what they're saying so Vince can't yell at them.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The French TNA crew used to be amazing as no one spoke french and they just took the piss all the time. There's a video of the electrified cage of doom match where they just poo poo on everything for the entire time and its possibly the funniest thing I've heard from TNA.

(Also the blindfold match where they just kept stressing that "it's all fake they can see" in French)

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought the spanish crew was supposed to be good because nobody in charge knows what they're saying so Vince can't yell at them.
They used to be at least when Carlos and Hugo were announcing. Hugo's replacement was said to be a spanish version of heel Cole.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

HulkaMatt posted:

Same thing with Akira Fukuzawa in AJPW. An insane amount of emotion from him and amazing if you don't understand the language - but apparently if you do he's not very good.

Many wrestlers in other promotions disliked Akira. Hiroshi Hase apparently once said he'd probably punch him if he ever met him.

His Hansen and Rude impersonations were awesome though.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 26, 2014

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Perigryn posted:

They used to be at least when Carlos and Hugo were announcing. Hugo's replacement was said to be a spanish version of heel Cole.

I've always wondered how they explained the Cole-Lawler match at WM to those that didn't listen to them announce.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

The French TNA crew used to be amazing as no one spoke french and they just took the piss all the time. There's a video of the electrified cage of doom match where they just poo poo on everything for the entire time and its possibly the funniest thing I've heard from TNA.

(Also the blindfold match where they just kept stressing that "it's all fake they can see" in French)

I would love to see a subtitled version of that.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

HulkaMatt posted:

Same thing with Akira Fukuzawa in AJPW. An insane amount of emotion from him and amazing if you don't understand the language - but apparently if you do he's not very good.

I remember Misawa once did his elbow tope and the announcer screamed something that sounded amazing, and my brother who speaks Japanese explained that he'd just said a phrase that's a mid conversation breaker that basically means "Hmm, I see, do go on".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skinty McEdger posted:

super macho dude posted:

I would love to see a subtitled version of that.

I would start a crowd funding campaign to get it subtitled if it hasn't already been. That poo poo needs to be out there for everyone to enjoy.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The Swerve LIVE! with special Guest Tony Schiavone!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

did Russo get punched in the mouth or something what is going on with his chin

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan wants us to know that not all chiropractors are good. Some are bad.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan wants us to know that not all chiropractors are good. Some are bad.
Trouble with his magic chiropractor?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
it's rare that Vinny gets on my nerves but whining about Cena exposing the business in a Foot Locker ad during RAW was really loving stupid

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Many wrestlers in other promotions disliked Akira. Hiroshi Hase apparently once said he'd probably punch him if he ever met him.

i have to imagine a lot of this is to do with a lot of japanese wrestlers taking themselves incredibly seriously and Fukuzawa being kind of a cartoon character

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Spermgod posted:

it's rare that Vinny gets on my nerves but whining about Cena exposing the business in a Foot Locker ad during RAW was really loving stupid
That's dumb. Cena's done far worse like loudly calling his moves and that ridiculous holding the mic to the crowd thing he does whenever he's booed during a promo.

Unless of course he's implying Cena's not the sort of person who wears Foot Locker attire since it's not his own merch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BlueArmyMan posted:

It's scratchy, and tough at parts, but not anywhere near unlistenable.

Yeah, on listening to it the complaints about the audio quality are bunk. It's slightly muffled but it's nowhere near as bad as the Bret/Jericho interview I mentioned before. It's not perfect but it's fine and it's a fascinating interview. If I had a complaint it's that Austin talks over Bray at certain times when I was really interested in what Bray was saying (like where they were talking about what Cesaro's missing to get to the next level) but it's pretty isolated.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Squatchdetective.wordpress.com

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I wonder how the Austin - Vince podcast will go? Part of me thinks it will be all PR approved, boring garbage...but I also think if there is one person on the planet that can get Vince to share some quasi crazy stories (and not be intimidated by his presence) it's Austin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I wonder how the Austin - Vince podcast will go? Part of me thinks it will be all PR approved, boring garbage...but I also think if there is one person on the planet that can get Vince to share some quasi crazy stories (and not be intimidated by his presence) it's Austin.

It's on WWE TV, it'll be approved stories and PR.

Also Podcast One uploaded Austin's Thursday podcast early so you might have that in your podcast feed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Bray episode is very, very good, gently caress the audio issue moaning, just listen to it. Go for nicer speakers than earphones too, like, put it on your PC speakers or something. Also, having listened to other Bray interviews before, part of the issue with the sound is not the quality (which is bad, admittedly), but Bray's voice. It is so deep that even good 'for TV' produced audio makes him sound unintelligible. He had some slot on morning TV where he was in character, everyone else sounded clear as a bell, but his voice was so deep it sounded like he was recording through a tin can.

Bray is one special guy, dude is so motivated to do what he does, he sounds very grateful for what he has earned too. He sounds very humble and respectful. Solidified him as one of my favourite guys they have right now. He also strikes me as seeming very intelligent for a wrestler .

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Jericho's show with Rollins is a fun listen. Vince McMahon did not care for the The Shield carrying batons and riot shields ("Aw, you can't kick his rear end by yourselves?!") or for the Curb Stomp being called Peace of Mind that one week [which Rollins never really approved of] ("That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! It's a curb stomp!")

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Another Person posted:

The Bray episode is very, very good, gently caress the audio issue moaning, just listen to it. Go for nicer speakers than earphones too, like, put it on your PC speakers or something. Also, having listened to other Bray interviews before, part of the issue with the sound is not the quality (which is bad, admittedly), but Bray's voice. It is so deep that even good 'for TV' produced audio makes him sound unintelligible. He had some slot on morning TV where he was in character, everyone else sounded clear as a bell, but his voice was so deep it sounded like he was recording through a tin can.

Bray is one special guy, dude is so motivated to do what he does, he sounds very grateful for what he has earned too. He sounds very humble and respectful. Solidified him as one of my favourite guys they have right now. He also strikes me as seeming very intelligent for a wrestler .

On this show he sounds kind of sick in every sense of the word and it fits perfectly with the character.

I love the story of how he came up with the name Bray. They should work that into his character or one of his followers somehow, because the idea of a guy who was in a car accident that left him with so little feeling in his face that he's impossible to knock out is so, so, SO badass. It's really cool to see how he has such an eclectic set of influences like Rob Zombie movies, Rage Against The Machine, etc as well.

One thing I found really surprising is how little thought the developmental guys (other than Bray) seem to put into their entrance music, and that a lot of new guys just pick up the first buttrock or rap song they hear. It's such an integral part of your character and image that you'd think that'd be way more emphasized than it is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

flashy_mcflash posted:

One thing I found really surprising is how little thought the developmental guys (other than Bray) seem to put into their entrance music, and that a lot of new guys just pick up the first buttrock or rap song they hear. It's such an integral part of your character and image that you'd think that'd be way more emphasized than it is.

It also explains why so many people seem to have lovely tunes. I kind of get the idea that you want to come in to something that's sort of heavy and amped up, but there has to be better choices than generic rock riff and a fruityloops drum loop.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah, I found that odd too, I think about what theme I would use if I were ever a wrestler all the time because the theatrics are part of the show. A good entrance is what seals a character, makes them into a full package. And you can really see that kind of thinking in Bray, because if you do not believe he has the best current entrance process, then I do not know what to say to you. His entrance has always been amazing, really sets the tone of the character.

But then I remember that a lot of developmentals back in the day were a mix of indies who probably put a lot of thought into it, and then you also have the people that the WWE pick up from bodybuilding or legit sport backgrounds, who have the look but maybe not the same love for wrestling that guys like Bray do. Guys who get into the game for the green and the fame, but maybe not because the life was what they always wanted.

Thing is about Bray's theme is that it isn't a Johnston or in house piece, so he is kind of exceptional in the WWE these days. How many other current guys have outside sounds for their entrance? It kind of says a lot to me for what the WWE think about him now, that they were willing to give him that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I haven't listened yet but holy poo poo is Rapid Delivery Rory Fox really on Talk is Jericho?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Another Person posted:

Thing is about Bray's theme is that it isn't a Johnston or in house piece, so he is kind of exceptional in the WWE these days. How many other current guys have outside sounds for their entrance? It kind of says a lot to me for what the WWE think about him now, that they were willing to give him that.

It sounds like they have a database that they pick from, and it's searchable in a way that you can punch in a popular artist (Bray says he used Radiohead) and it'll spit out some sound-alikes. I don't know how many guys have outside sounds - not many - but Bray's anecdote makes me think that's because people just pick the most generic poo poo and don't dig into the database for something more unique rather than the WWE not willing to shell for something that isn't a Jim Johnston piece.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

On this show he sounds kind of sick in every sense of the word and it fits perfectly with the character.

I love the story of how he came up with the name Bray. They should work that into his character or one of his followers somehow, because the idea of a guy who was in a car accident that left him with so little feeling in his face that he's impossible to knock out is so, so, SO badass. It's really cool to see how he has such an eclectic set of influences like Rob Zombie movies, Rage Against The Machine, etc as well.

I haven't listed to it yet, but I'm surprised the average schmuck in NXT (i.e, not Steen, Devitt, etc...) has any input into their theme to begin with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Another Person posted:

Didn't he only really get away with it because it was in that tape library though? It was unclear if it was part of that library, in which case the music wouldn't be all that costly, or if it was just something that was left around in error and he just happened to come across it.

On that note, are there any current wrestlers (As in, newer guys) who are using Johnston pieces? It all sounds like the cheaply licensed stuff that Bray was talking about.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thauros posted:

I haven't listed to it yet, but I'm surprised the average schmuck in NXT (i.e, not Steen, Devitt, etc...) has any input into their theme to begin with.

That surprised me too, but he talks about new guys in developmental not spending time with the database which suggests average schmucks to me.

Of course the exception would be if they bring in a new guy and already have a gimmick/music/entrance all set up for them, like I'm sure was the case with, say, The Ascension.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

On that note, are there any current wrestlers (As in, newer guys) who are using Johnston pieces? It all sounds like the cheaply licensed stuff that Bray was talking about.

It's a newer gimmick rather than guy, but Stardust's theme is the only recent one credited to Johnston afaik

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thauros posted:

It's a newer gimmick rather than guy, but Stardust's theme is the only recent one credited to Johnston afaik

In that case the directive was probably 'take Goldust's theme (which you wrote) and make it more wacky and kind of like it came from space'.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

I said Johnston and in house because I couldn't remember the name of the new guys who also make the current themes, CFO$. Most of the newer ones are made by them, and they are considered in house. And the impression I got with Broken Out in Love/Live In Fear is that it was something that was in the FCW library, not the WWE one.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Reigns' Shield theme remix is a Johnston piece too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I used to think the Rapid Delivery paperboy gimmick was up there with the most retarded ever but after hearing Rory Fox have a conversation I 100% understand where Les Thatcher was coming from.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Now taking bets on how long the Saturday Observer Live is going to last.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

njsykora posted:

Now taking bets on how long the Saturday Observer Live is going to last.

My guess is until Sports Byline stops paying them for it. That's got to be the only reason they're doing it in the first place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Austin mentions that it was 2k15 that put he and Bray together for the interview, and the last 10 minutes or so of the first show sounds like it is a poorly disguised advertisement for the game. Still fascinating to listen to, but it really felt like a clear line of,"And now a (hidden) word from our sponsors...."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Art of Wrestling tomorrow.

CM Punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

njsykora posted:

Art of Wrestling tomorrow.

CM Punk.

Is it going to be the like the last bait and switch where he says he doesn't feel like talking then they have someone infinitely less interesting for the rest of it?

• Locked thread