Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Teddybear posted:

I mean within the podcast. It'd be nice to see like "hey, skip to XX:XX to avoid the worst part of this show!"

You should write in and request that Bryan add time stamps to the show so we know when to skip past certain segments, it's a good idea :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Konnan tells an amazing story about how he got into wrestling on Jericho's podcast. I don't know if it's a well-known story or not but it is the first time I've heard it and it was hilarious.

The Champion of the local promotion meets him in the stands during a show (his leg was broken so he was just watching the show) and is impressed by his size, so he takes him backstage and out of nowhere starts telling the booker that Konnan is a worker. Konnan is so scared that he just bullshits that he's worked in Florida against Eddie Graham and he gets booked. The Champ then assures him that he doesn't need to know how to work because he can just knock the other wrestler out, since nobody has ever thought to do that before. Konnan is terrified he's going to fall through the ropes because he doesn't know how to run them, the Champ keeps telling him not to worry about. Finally Konnan meets Ray Mysterious Senior who immediately figures out that Konnan doesn't know what the gently caress he is doing and demands to know what is going on, Konnan explains that his "manager" got him into the mess and points him out, and Mysterio replies,"That guy? That guy's just some fan!!" :xd:

This explains a lot about Konnan's wrestling ability

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

You should write in and request that Bryan add time stamps to the show so we know when to skip past certain segments, it's a good idea :)

didn't he start doing this recently and then stop after like a week

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cardboard Box posted:

didn't he start doing this recently and then stop after like a week

He explained on the board that it's useless to try to timestamp radio shows since Dave can never stay on one subject for longer than 45 seconds

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Also, he does consecutive shows a lot of days so doing so would mean delaying the uploads or something

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
These two Steve Austin/Wade Keller podcasts were really good and I hope they do these more often. Wade Keller has good opinions on WWE stuff.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, he does consecutive shows a lot of days so doing so would mean delaying the uploads or something

Bryan does all the producing by himself, so there isn't someone in back mixing and taking notes as the show is going on.

Generally he does about 6 WOLs a week, 3 B&V, 3 or 4 WORs, After Dark, and a F4W radio or two.

On a WWE PPV Sunday, he will finish WOL just before preshow starts, watch it with Vinny, do B&V immediately after the show ends, then immediately move onto After Dark, and then do the PPV rundown with Dave and push it out early in the morning lest the board get angry.

keevo posted:

These two Steve Austin/Wade Keller podcasts were really good and I hope they do these more often. Wade Keller has good opinions on WWE stuff.

Keller is a pretty frequent regular. Generally comes on for PPV breakdowns

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Keller is a pretty frequent regular. Generally comes on for PPV breakdowns

Keller mentioned a sale for PWTorch's VIP on Austin's podcast. Is there anything worth checking out there?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
No.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The only subscription that's worth it is F4WON.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Keller has less insightful analysis on the business side of things but has way more to say about the aesthetic and narrative aspects of wrestling (well, WWE). So if that's what you're into it might be worth it. Bruce Mitchell is also a very knowledgeable and insightful guy and the Todd Martin show actually turned into something pretty good now that it doesn't have Bryan doing his annoying rear end devil's advocate gimmick on it.

One thing I'm curious about is the PWInsider pay service. Mike Johnson seems to have surpassed Meltzer as a scoopsman at this point so there might be something there.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 29, 2015

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I like PWInsider but it has no RSS feed for podcasts and their website is nearly 15 years old.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Oh yeah Todd is at the Torch now. Another good reason to not pay for their service.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah Todd is at the Torch now. Another good reason to not pay for their service.

Hey now we need to support the only man who knows the truth that handicapped children need to stop being coddled and pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

And that's $1 saved.

ayn rand hand job posted:

The only subscription that's worth it is F4WON.

I did grab a month of this while it's on sale to check it out. I like what I've heard so far. Filthy Tom is my favorite and will probably keep me subscribing.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I will never pay for PW Insider after all their bullshit with ads and spyware over the years.

Am curious about the Torch too but between F4W, NJPW, and Fight Pass I'm already spending a lot on wrestling/MMA subscriptions.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Give Wade your dollar and grab all the Bruce Mitchell shows you can from the archives.
They are the closest thing to Dave's mailbag and obits.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I bought a one-month Torch membership years ago, and any audio update with Pat McNeil hurt my ears. Every time he spoke the microphone clipped, as if he maxed out mic boost, put it in his mouth and started yelling.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The buck is worth it for Bruce Mitchell. The rest is... eh. Mixed. On rare occasion, Wade will put out a hotline worth listening to but usually it's just his drivel about some minute detail in WWE that gets grating quickly. Analysis for the sake of analysis sometimes.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How many of you are giving Whitney $2000 to hang out with Bryan and Vinnie

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

I lost a twitter bet and had to donate $5 to Whale Scout once and got a very confused email from Whitney asking about online Twitter fights.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Description from the indiegogo:

Whitney posted:

Spend the day with Bryan Alvarez at the Empire. Hang with Bryan as he sleeps in, struggles to write the daily update, rants into a box for hours on end, eats lunch at Qdoba, grapples with grown men, watches television shows, and rants into the box again. What could be better?! Includes a flight from any major cont.US city, two night stay in beautiful Bothell, plus meeting Snorki, Tiggi, and THE Wolf. You might even meet Wang and Granny! Baby blackout dates apply. Redeem by 12/2016

Who wouldn't donate $2,000 for the chance to meet Wang and Granny?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This might be the wrong place to ask, but I jumped onto WWE.com to watch the old World Championship Wrestling shows that they're doing on Bryan and Vinny, but I could only find stuff going back to the last week of December 1985, and they seem to be watching about a month earlier?

Oh well, I got to watch Magnum TA and Ole Anderson beat the poo poo out of each other, and Ric Flair do an amazing promo where he got angry when they cut away from him to show girls in the crowd instead :allears:

Also Flair said in the promo "Maybe I'll just stick around another 20 years!" and then 23 years and 4 months later he had his LAST EVER MATCH OF ALL TIME against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 24.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jerusalem posted:

Also Flair said in the promo "Maybe I'll just stick around another 20 years!" and then 23 years and 4 months later he had his LAST EVER MATCH OF ALL TIME against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 24.

That was a great match. "I'm sorry, I love you" and then Flair dove onto a pile of thumbtacks.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Those Bryan and Vinny clips posted last few pages sold me on a cheap month. Great work all involved, it was worth it.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

rovert posted:

I like PWInsider but it has no RSS feed for podcasts and their website is nearly 15 years old.

Pop up galore on that site, I stay clear.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Absolutely riveting radio on WOL right now. Some guy reading WWF champions off in order from the beginning while a smoke alarm goes off in the background.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Absolutely riveting radio on WOL right now. Some guy reading WWF champions off in order from the beginning while a smoke alarm goes off in the background.

What is the context for this? I hope it's like Jericho where they come back from a break and he's still rattling off champions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Akileese posted:

What is the context for this? I hope it's like Jericho where they come back from a break and he's still rattling off champions.

Someone called in and said he could name off every WWF champion, swearing he wasn't using Wikipedia. He didn't make it all the way and Bryan cut him off at the break due to technical difficulties. They're replaying Sunday's show now.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
Are you sure that wasn't Dave?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Anyone using Pocket Casts to listen to F4W/Observer shows? I thought it was supposed to support the http://[username]:[password]@[feed] thing but it doesn't seem to for me

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 1, 2015

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask, but I jumped onto WWE.com to watch the old World Championship Wrestling shows that they're doing on Bryan and Vinny, but I could only find stuff going back to the last week of December 1985, and they seem to be watching about a month earlier?

Oh well, I got to watch Magnum TA and Ole Anderson beat the poo poo out of each other, and Ric Flair do an amazing promo where he got angry when they cut away from him to show girls in the crowd instead :allears:

I watched that one too. For all the talk about some of the jobbers on the show they watched there is a jobber on that 12/28 that puts them all to shame.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jerusalem posted:

This happened to me too. You have to actually select 1985 on the dropdown menu for the earlier episodes to show up.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm looking forward to watching the old NWA eps and listening along with B+V. I missed out when they started Nitro and Raw so I'm glad I got in at the beginning with this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

This happened to me too. You have to actually select 1985 on the dropdown menu for the earlier episodes to show up.

Ahhh that makes (a weird, twisted kind of) sense, thanks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh that makes (a weird, twisted kind of) sense, thanks.

The default screen only includes a certain number of episodes so if you wanna start from square one, you have to go by year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mick Foley is on Austin's podcast and apparently they discuss the current state of WWE, which should be an interesting listen.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That sounds like an interesting show, though Foley promoting the fact that he is done with RAW again doesn't sound super appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HulkaMatt posted:

That sounds like an interesting show, though Foley promoting the fact that he is done with RAW again doesn't sound super appealing.
Nah he's good after this Raw judging by his twitter

• Locked thread