Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

As fun as Alvarez is to listen to most of the time it's exactly the opposite for Meltzer. He's a horrible speaker. He runs off on some of the stupidest tangents. He can't string more than three words together without a 'ya know' or an 'umm' or an awkwardly long pause. Half the time Bryan tries to coax some coherent conversation from him he respond 'Ehhhh, I dunno' after a long pause and then proceeds to stumble over his words while trying to tell us why he doesn't know. And he's absolutely clueless about the simplest poo poo half the time. At least his newsletters are full of good info, that is if you can get over his very awkward writing style.

Half the time is a complete exaggeration. Meltzer will more often than not know a hell of a lot of history about what is being talked about. Sometimes there will be a question he doesn't know, but they are in the minority and are usually about something pretty obscure. At least he's being honest. Do you expect them to pre-screen callers or mailbag questions for stuff they know, or make poo poo up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I don't care if this isn't actually David Flair style, this is the greatest internet video.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

https://www.bryanalvarez.com

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I haven't listened to week 3 yet, but how in the blue hell did you wind up being interviewed by Alvarez?

Before he started the show I asked him if he'd be interested in using some of my friend's music as the theme and that it's too bad my specialty is debunking conspiracies or it'd be fun to do the show. (Since to me it is far less interesting to hear how things are wrong.) He said that actually he'd love to do that kind of a show and asked when I'd like to do it.

I have a MA in Political Science so I sound sort of impressive as a guest too. (Not really.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I love hearing conspiracy theories being thoroughly debunked by intelligent people. So this is definitely something I'm interested in. Thanks for the heads up, about to listen to it now.

It honestly wasn't as thorough as I hoped. It just wasn't a good idea to try and do 4 in one show. Moon Landing and Roswell got time, Face on Mars and JFK didn't get much attention.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The latest Observer Radio contains a great tangent about how TNA should replace Russo with Watson.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer is an amazing combination of nerd and luddite. He prints off every article on wrestling for his own personal files, and some claim he prints off every email as well. I don't believe the latter though. Printing off every article is crazy, but good for him. The wrestling business needs people cataloging its history. It also leads to great stories like the House Show Royal Rumble discussion last night and in the new Observer. If someone wasn't archiving everything cool little stuff like that would be lost.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Graic posted:

Dave Meltzer is hilarious. I still laugh every now and then when I think back to the AWA joke involving a dying dad and his 3 sons.

quote:

There was this rich old man who hadn't been feeling well. He went to his doctor and the doctor told him that he had an incurable case of cancer. The doctor told him he only had a few weeks left to live. Well, the guy (his name was Fred) was incredibly wealthy; certainly wealthier than Ted DiBiase, not quite as wealthy as Donald Trump, and maybe in the same league as Vince McMahon. He went to his accountant to find out about how much he'd have left to provide for his three sons (no, this wasn't Fred MacMurray) and the accountant told him that all his sons would be well taken care of for the rest of their lives.

Fred told his accountant that he also wanted to buy each of his sons a gift that they would always remember him by. Fred called his sons that afternoon and told them to come by the office because he had to talk to each of them individually about something important.

His oldest son, who was 25, entered the room first. Fred told his son that he was dying of cancer and didn't have long to live. He said that the son would be well provided for and would never have to work for a living, but he wanted to buy his son one gift so he would always remember him. The son said he wanted a yacht. Fred called his accountant and told him to call Sam at the yacht harbor and to have him get the biggest and nicest yacht around, and it was his parting gift to his oldest son.

His second son, who was 17, came in next. Fred told him the same story. His son was pretty broken up about it and Fred said that he'd be taken care of, but would like to buy him one frivolous gift so that he'd always remember him by. The second son said he'd like a red Porsche. The father said, "no problem", called his accountant and said to call up Joe at the local Porsche dealership and tell him to get the nicest Porsche in the lot, and he wanted it for his son as a gift.

His third son, who was five, was the net in. Fred told him that he was going away soon and that they probably wouldn't be seeing each other for a while. He said things will always be taken care of for him and to remember that his daddy will always love him, even though they won't be seeing each other. He then told his son that before he left, he'd like to buy him a gift and he could have anything he wanted and price would be no object.

The son said he wanted a Mickey Mouse outfit. Fred called his accountant and said, "Call up Verne and buy him the AWA".

Dave was really vicious towards the AWA in its last half decade.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan Alvarez's dreams of high school gymnastics glory were dashed.

Bryan Alvarez in Today's Daily Update posted:

-- For first time, Iowa girl wins a state wrestling match ... by forfeit. Her opponent, citing family values, said wrestling could get violent and he could not bring himself to take the match. Based on the tournament format, they could conceivable end up in the same bracket later with presumably the same results. A girl was on the wrestling team when I was in high school. I had no problem with that, but I was annoyed that girls could be on the wrestling team but guys could not be on the gymnastics team.

(This isn't a sexist REVERSE DISCRIMINATION thing, he's a gymnast)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's racist dog will never be on the show again :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume he spent the previous few hours at the vet hospital or whatever, and happened to get back a few minutes after Raw started.

Why did you have to ruin it with logic?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"What is Vince lives to be 150?"

"He won't."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And if you like racially offensive and MMA there is Five Star Radio with Michael Coughlin!

He loves Armenians!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I've have that Mid Atlantic show they were talking about, it was on 24/7. It's really really bad.

Screenshots of the daisy dukes?

Or maybe it is better if you don't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When it comes down to it, Matt Morgan is a lovely wrestler. He has been wrestling for about 10 years and still looks green as hell.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

Sure, but that's never been a problem for the WWE before, especially considering he's a huge dude who can cut decent promos and is really not that bad in the ring compared to other big guys they've tried to push.

His promos sucked for years and now they are average rather than bad. He's still really far away from cutting a money promo. Maybe that is the guy scripting them, but other people in TNA cut good promos so I doubt it. When he was in WWE he was really bad in the ring and not any good on the mic. The only person worse than him in the ring who has stuck around for a long period of time is Khali. Think of all of the giant turds they've rushed onto TV and rushed off less than a year later. Morgan was no different than any of them except he looks more generic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I hate to bring this back up after so much time, but I have a question that the search function on The Board is not helping with. Was Volume 47 the last one done of these? I don't venture onto the The Board too much, just listen to the shows and read the newsletters, and I can't find anything past Volume 47 and that was so long ago it makes me thing these comps aren't being made anymore.

The guy who does them will go a long time between making new ones. I'm not sure why as it shouldn't take more than half an hour to make one, but that is still half an hour out of someone's day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

To be fair to the guy, they gave him a stuttering gimmick. He'd have to be loving Cicero to get over with that.

Look, I'm not trying to say Morgan is a great wrestler. He's average, at best. But considering Vince has a huge hard-on for guys with his body type and he is, in my opinion, at least marginally better than those other turds you mentioned, as well as being a smart guy who seems to like the business and is willing to learn and improve, he could probably have done better in the WWE.

The Matt Morgan you see now would do fine in WWE. The hard on Vince has for big guys is the reason he didn't get the chance. He was years away from being TV ready when he was brought up. The stuttering gimmick didn't help, but the Matt Morgan who was brought up was like most of the big guys who are brought up. They are not ready for TV. Vince falls in love with their size and assumes they are, then they bomb and he finds a new 7 foot hard on. It is his love of giant sweaty men that means most of them won't have a chance. It is what gets them on TV and gets them sent packing.

If Vince was in a coma for 2 years while Morgan developed then sure he would still be in WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In the Wrestling Observer Live on eyada days Dave was definitely the host and carried the show while Bryan piped in with an amusing comment or question. During the first few months Bryan barely talked at all. Their roles were pretty much the opposite of what they are now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A reminder of how much things can change in a decade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFhGoZnf94

Bryan was not alone in his former opinion of Nigel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He probably had a real loser on to debunk conspiracies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Lagana's podcast with Sam Ford is excellent too.

That was really good, and a new Formerly Creative is up with the Glass Eye Guy! It's weird that I know the exact apartment complex he described being moved into when he got the job.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't remember what the context was, but my favorite Bryan moment was "TWO AND A HALF STARS? gently caress YOU!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I think he was reading the star ratings from user feedback of a TNA PPV.

Yeah I think it was a women's match being discussed on the board.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

Did it lead directly to a normal battle royal that lead into a tournament that lead into a triple threat? And did the final winner of all of that lose the very next week clean to a debuting star on free TV for no reason?

Fight for the Right was a reverse battle royal that led to a normal battle royal that ended in a singles match that set up the bracketing for a tournament in which the winner got a bye to the finals and the semi final was a three way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sotar posted:

Victory Road 2009 review was great. I love how when Bryan was going to bring in meltzer he says "We are going to bring in Dave Meltzer and if he gives this anything but a big thumbs down we are gonna have a little chit-chat"

I love Dave's analysis of No Surrender 2009. Bryan tries to defend Sting letting AJ win the title as not the stupidest thing they've done and Dave has this awesome anti-TNA rant in response. You know you are in for something good if Dave hated a show more than Bryan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Which show was Orlando Jordan's Time Machine on?

Last I checked it is not in the actual archive and you need to go to one of the stickied threads on the board. I believe it is September 18th 2005.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Something that you pick up on after awhile is that although Dave talks to everyone, Bryan has more close friends among wrestlers. This came out in the Benoit aftermath when Dave revealed to the surprise of nobody that Benoit was a source for 20 years, but it was Bryan that was actually personally close to Benoit. Probably a worker vs. reporter thing.

I don't think this is true at all. When you listen to Dave's stories and see how long he has known some of the wrestlers he interviews it is very clear that Dave is closer to more wrestlers than Bryan. Not counting wrestlers in the PNW indie scene.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Is that Chris Benoit song available anywhere?

I know, I'm a horrible person but I really want to hear it in full now.

That is it in full.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Should we start predicting where tonight's Alvarez rant will fall in the F4W 2011 Top #50?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Space Cob posted:

Honestly, I'm expecting a more "I'm dead inside and have to review this show because is it my job" than anything else.

I'm more interested in the seemingly common "thing that Meltzer thought was sorta good only because he loves wrestling more than any other human ever to live."

From his recap I do not think this is one of those nights. (Meltzer half liking the show that is.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am surprised that the hardest I laughed during the Bryan and Vinny show wasn't the burial of TNA, but instead Vinny's burial of DGUSA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I don't subscribe to WO, please elaborate on the DGUSA incident.

He basically just said that the matches are two guys or two groups of guys doing random moves for no rhyme or reason for 10 minutes until one guy is pinned. It was very matter of fact and it made me laugh since it was exactly how I felt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cat Chat is the best part of the B&V show. I could live with them eliminating all wrestling content for just Cat Chat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I loved that because it's how I felt the one or two times I saw a DGUSA event. I understand that people like that stuff but I just can't get into it.

That's how I felt when I went to the first show. I knew it just wasn't for me but it would probably be enjoyable to most. Although Gabe re-using Homicide trying to cut out someone's tongue is just dumb. That is one of the worst angles in ROH history, don't use it again!

Does anyone here listen to the Todd Martin shows? I cannot stand his voice and he has the worst opinions on everything. He also gets things blatantly wrong, especially about MMA. I cannot understand why Bryan has him on every loving week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

todd martin loving sucks and is fat

Todd Martin likes PWG so if the Shaman says this about him you know he is terrible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cubsfan is on this week's Dr. Lucha Figure 4 Daily which is a nice surprise. I know lucha takes the winter off and all, but it is March and the only lucha news this year has been WWE signing Mistico. Not a good sign.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Davey also did a Figure 4 Daily back in 2005. That would have to make him one of the first guests on the show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Then the very first thing he says on Colt's podcast is a lie. :negative:

That's called working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Well, there's the stuff with Dorian Roldan trying to get CMLL to see that the Mexican promotions need to work together to fight WWE, but it's depressing that that's probably a non-story.

I honestly think that is just Dorian putting it out there so he can make CMLL look uncooperative when nothing comes of it.

Also every time I see this thread title I think of this: http://angrymarks.com/music/songs/dj2-Dave%20Meltzer%20Theme.mp3

• Locked thread