Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Borh posted:

Yesterday, on Wrestling Observer Radio, Meltzer and Alvarez went on a five minute tangent about John Cena possibly being afraid to shower, water polo, and other H20 related subjects. I have no idea why, but I enjoyed it a lot and it's a free show, so you can too.

Please, everyone listen to this. It's the perfect introduction to the Dave/Bryan WO Radio shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The latest Formerly Creative mentioned that the host thinks what it is nowadays is that Vince is just bored and gets a kick out of tearing people down and seeing how they'll react to it and is basically playing a game for his amusement with the company now instead of focusing on the end result of the product that ends up on television.

With the way any good ideas are immediately squashed and how they seem to love pushing a guy only to knock them back down the card I wouldn't say its out of the question.

It was less that he's playing a game with the company than that he pokes and prods his employees to judge how they'll react and if they're worthy of his respect. Along the lines of what Jericho describes in Undisputed.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Paraphrasing from the falls-count-anywhere recap:

Why are there rope breaks? What if there were just ropes sitting in the back, and you tried to go for a pinfall on the pile of ropes? Would the ref count the pin then? Or would he say "nope, break it up - you're in the ropes."

Hmm good question!...yeah that should be fine.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Borh posted:

And Dave has that kind of personality where he has to try to apply logic and reason to everything even when there plainly is none, so he just goes for it and the results are hilarious.

Bryan clearly plays on this intentionally sometimes, and it always works. Dave has to at least TRY to find a logical explanation for things.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Has anyone seen the Tom Magee vs Bret Hart match that Colt mentions on the WO podcast today? I want to see it so badly - sounds amazing.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The story as told is Magee is a lovely wrestler, but Bret makes him look amazing (Dave says this, not a Bret exaggeration). Magee, who was heavily scouted by Vince McMahon and Pat Patterson, is now seen as the next big thing in pro wrestling, except he's completely awful and leaves the business before too long, never again having a good match.

Here's the story: http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/12/history-tom-magee-golden-boy-of-1986.html

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Today's WO is pretty much all UFC (some comparisons of UFC 129 to Mania in there) but the Dave/Bryan interactions are hilarious when they're together. Dave and Bryan cowering as they check the hallway to see if the Diaz Brothers are out there, ready to blast through the wall like the Kool Aid man, is absolutely fantastic.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Lloyd Boner posted:

This week's guest on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast:

:siren: Zack Ryder :siren:

E: More confirmation that Zack's dad is in fact the best dad.

Oh my God, Punk talking about Zack's dad is the greatest thing ever.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
"My goal is to make this poo poo cool again." -CM Punk on the BS Report.

Overall I thought this was a stiff-feeling podcast. Simmons took it into "behinds the scenes" territory quite a bit, and I don't think that's what Punk really enjoys discussing. But you get some great candid moments out of Punk, and it's absolutely worth a listen.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

shotgunbadger posted:

So what podcast is the one with unfunny Dave and all? It sounds like a pretty awesome one.

That would be the wrestling observer radio show at wrestlingobserver.com (but it's a pay site)

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

ChampRamp posted:

Oh, Todd dickrides Fedor? I don't listen to Todd shows so I never really knew. Makes complete sense.

He really cried like a baby over it too. How anyone enjoys Todd is beyond me. Him advertising that he'll be on the Sherdog roundtable for the next UFC forced me to make a mental note not to listen to that roundtable.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

PaybackJack posted:

I think my favorite part was when he said there's no such thing as bad publicity and Dave uttered a loud "UHHHHHH".

That killed me. Not only is it clearly true, but it was another instance of hyper-logical Meltzer shutting down his guest. Love Meltzer. Love.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Bryan really overdoes it on the "I don't watch sports" stuff. It's constant. Any time anyone mentions a non wrestling/MMA athletic pursuit, he starts on the "WELL I DON'T WATCH SPORTS SO I DON'T KNOW" stuff.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Does anyone know where the "free money" for Granny's lotto segments came from?

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Rodney the Piper posted:

I read some Granny hate on here, so I was worried I'd hate the first Bryan and Vinnie show I listened to. Three minutes in, Granny's definition of an iPad makes me question everyone in this thread.

An eyepad!

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Phenix Rising posted:

Beer City Money Machine would have been sweet. It doesn't make any sense, but it sounds awesome.

I would have tuned in just to hear Mike Tenay scream this name.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

MassRayPer posted:

Those analogies are pretty spot on. Bryan is the one with the horrible analogies.

It is hilarious that he specifically said "hamburger" though.

Best part is he completely forgot to mention TNA.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I had to look up the new Dana-Dave thing and holy poo poo, is Dana legit nuts?

What is it? I couldn't find it.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Perigryn posted:

Long story short, Dave reported on the bad ratings UFC's show has been getting on Fox and Dana, well, he took offence and lashed out at him.

I saw the first video from a couple of weeks ago, but did something happen yesterday or the day before that led them to talk about it again?

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Well that is especially insane. I expect Dana to be hyperbolic, but not crazy.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Does anyone know how to find that Gold Boat episode in the archives?

Edit: Found it: March 10, 2010
Subscriber link: http://media001.f4wonline.com/dmdocuments/031010bvshow.mp3

Euthyphro fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 7, 2012

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY60wbTotIc

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

triplexpac posted:

I'm glad Dave was vindicated in the end, I was shaken that he could have been incorrect :ohdear:

My faith in there being logic and order in this world is restored.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

CVagts posted:

"Lawler said that Punk turned on the universe..."
"Which constellations?"
"All of them, Dave. The entire universe."

I love this show.

The Rock? That's just one man! Hardly the entire universe.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
I also loved that he only dropped it once Bryan offered a plausible solution - that she's shopping in the kid's section and they don't have powersuits in the kids section.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

"Drug addicts always get their Twitter hacked. I'm not talking about Kurt Angle, but Twitter hackers always seem to prey on drug addicts"

Holy poo poo Dave

This was such a burn. Big Dave was jazzed.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I like when Dave tells stories that are 90% likely to be a specific person, but he protects their identity.

Like the time about 2 years back when Bret Hartone of the biggest stars in WWE history ate dinner with some current guys after a show and was shocked nobody knew or cared what the gate was and how it compared to the last time they were in town.

Something similar happened on the Grizzly Redwood episode of Art of Wrestling, where Bret Harta former WWE champion came to a few ROH shows for special appearances and ended up smoking weed with Grizzly after the shows.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
I wonder how many copies of Mighty Bomb Jack Bryan is going to receive as gifts during the Christmas Show.

Edit: It appears they might be taping it right now?
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/282675114414317568/photo/1

Euthyphro fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 23, 2012

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Perigryn posted:

Dave finally said it: Punk's promo at the beginning of the show how pissed off he was losing the title exposed Cena's inability to make his losses mean anything.

Also, he loved Dallas.

His DVR cut out half way! He's outraged!

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
No way Dave hadn't thought of that before. I'm positive he had that in his back pocket, ready to use on this show.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Big Show ran down there faster than 90 percent of the guys!

No.

50 percent of the guys!

No.

30 percent of the guys!

No.

Faster than Khali!

Ok.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Bryan Alvarez math: "TNA has like 9 front office people. Actually, after they cut the 2 press people they might be down to 6!"

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

MassRanTer posted:

The EVOLVE caller was amazing. "No."

I, for one, wanted to hear more about how The Rock was conceived.

And I love that Brent acts as his own publicist, calling Vinny's fiancee trying to get booked on B&V.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The level of denial Dave has over fan reaction to Cena is hilarious.

Let's please not ignore his best line in a while, on the rain at MetLife: "that was probably God crying for them putting The Miz over Wade Barrett."

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Can we all take a moment to read about our Wrestling God, Dave Meltzer, in the NY Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/sports/wrestling-reporter-dave-meltzer-tries-to-keep-it-real.html?smid=pl-share

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

triplexpac posted:

Another fantastic Bryan Alvarez Sports Analogy this week on the Observer.

But he STOLE your UNIFORM!

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Jeez. The Miz was bad.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Gedo fluent enough to do a podcast?

Grado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Sr55fI6zU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

LordPants posted:

I don't know if that is :staredog: or :ughh: or what.

• Locked thread