Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
What's a good travel tripod around ~$200 for use with an MFT (E-M10) camera? I plan on mostly using it for city/architecture photography while traveling.

edit: never mind, found a lightly used RoadTrip for $130 on eBay

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ended up springing for the Adorama 3POD Orbit with pistol grip. I decided for this instead of going for building my own (almost got 190x Legs for 80 bucks on ebay) and I'll post a trip report when it gets here. Did a lot of looking up with reviews and poo poo, and it pointed to being a nice and affordable option for tripod needs, and it has that cool center column that moves to the side at a 90 degree angle. Also the pistol ball grip sets the camera right on the ball instead of how it usually is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So has much changed from the OP in terms of legs? I have an okay ballhead which seems to hold my XPro1+35mm well enough. A light travel-ish tripod would be nice since I'm planning to take in some camping and nature trails. Don't really want to break the bank but I guess I'd rather not have it fall apart on me in the middle of the woods.

All my cameras are light. Only have my XPro1 with 35mm and several russian film rangefiders so this won't have to do any serious lifting.

I think it would be nice if it could get low to the ground.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
In addition to the op look at Three Legged Thing and mephoto, both make respectable travel tripods. I have a 3LT Dave and it's perfect for the size camera you are talking about.

EDIT: jesus the dave has jumped to like $600 price point since being discontinued.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 10, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol yeeeeah I'm probably not going to sink $600 :D

I'll check to see what's available I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

End-game tripod hunt hasn't ended but I did pick up the Amazon Basics 62 inch and it seems really really nice. About the only complaint I have so far is that it only has two clicks for leg position which is honestly even more than you should expect from a $50 tripod. Seems pretty sturdy but I've only got an XPro1 and 35mil lens. With the neck extended the camera seems fairly rigid, but the legs not being able to snap into a wide-enough position may compromise that in wind. Your options on this are basically a narrow extension or a full out almost horizontal extension. You can position the legs manually in between but they won't lock in. The joints are tight enough that it seems to hold position well when not snapped into place, at least, so as a last resort you may be able to get away with that.

I replaced the ball head with an Arca-swiss type before I realized that if you just remove the stupid retention pin that the stock ballhead comes with it works perfectly with the Arca-style L bracket on my camera :doh:

For a ghetto/budget solution I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this. It probably won't stand up to high winds or heavy loads, and it's not particularly light (but also not super heavy) for transport, but you could do a lot worse for your money.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 25, 2016

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Today I bought a second hand Manfrotto 190NAT (also known as Manfrotto 3205GN3 Tracker) for 120 EUR/$130. It's old and green, but is in great condition with just one small spot of chipped paint and looks very sturdy (probably because I never had a good tripod). I am now looking for a good ball head, it needs to support Pentacon Six with CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 (that's about... 4? 5? kg).

Anyone familiar with Vanguard GH-200 head? I can get it slightly used for 60 EUR/$65, seems like it would be worth the price.

Any other recommendations in $100 - $150 range?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:zombie: bump

I'm unloading from carbon fiber Manfrotto legs (tripod and monopod) over in the buy/sell/trade thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The Claptain posted:

Today I bought a second hand Manfrotto 190NAT (also known as Manfrotto 3205GN3 Tracker) for 120 EUR/$130. It's old and green, but is in great condition with just one small spot of chipped paint and looks very sturdy (probably because I never had a good tripod). I am now looking for a good ball head, it needs to support Pentacon Six with CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 (that's about... 4? 5? kg).

Anyone familiar with Vanguard GH-200 head? I can get it slightly used for 60 EUR/$65, seems like it would be worth the price.

Any other recommendations in $100 - $150 range?

Don't get a pistol/action grip head, they look like they'd be nicer and faster to use but actually they're just awful.

OK mid priced heads: Manfrotto XPRO ball head (good quality and secure pano lock but big, get the slightly pricier one with an Arca compatible plate) or Feisol CB-40 (good quality except for the pano lock which is more of a pano brake, very small). Don't buy Sirui heads since they are hit or miss, they sometimes generate rave reviews but the K20x I got was piss garbage that couldn't even hold 4kg at a 45° angle without sagging despite being allegedly rated for like 25kg.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I just picked up a Wimberley head in the buy/sell thread, but I need a plate. Are 3rd party plates OK, or should I spend $50 on the real thing?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just picked up a Wimberley head in the buy/sell thread, but I need a plate. Are 3rd party plates OK, or should I spend $50 on the real thing?

How expensive is your lens?

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
What is the hive mind consensus on baby's first fluid head these days? Should I just bite the bullet and get one of the cheap sachtlers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

Don't get a pistol/action grip head, they look like they'd be nicer and faster to use but actually they're just awful.

OK mid priced heads: Manfrotto XPRO ball head (good quality and secure pano lock but big, get the slightly pricier one with an Arca compatible plate) or Feisol CB-40 (good quality except for the pano lock which is more of a pano brake, very small). Don't buy Sirui heads since they are hit or miss, they sometimes generate rave reviews but the K20x I got was piss garbage that couldn't even hold 4kg at a 45° angle without sagging despite being allegedly rated for like 25kg.

Although this is a late reply, it's still useful, so thanks.
Back then I bought some cheapo chinese ballhead, because "I need ballhead right now" happened, and while it's ok, I'm still looking for something good. I'll check out Manfrotoo XPRO (I didn't know they make arca-swiss model, that is nice news because I bought a bunch of plates).

• Locked thread