Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Atalante01 posted:

Just looking for a decent travel tripod that is actually affordable really. The stable-compact-affordable tripod seems to be a fiction however. Of those three I'd probably compromise compact first, has anyone got any other recommendations?

Benro or any other good knock-off brand carbon tripod. All carbon tripods are travel tripods, just to varying degrees. Metal tripods are not as good when weight matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Captain Postal posted:

Benro or any other good knock-off brand carbon tripod. All carbon tripods are travel tripods, just to varying degrees. Metal tripods are not as good when weight matters.

I've been looking into getting a new tripod. I had a cheapo short plastic tripod that lasted me a few years, but it finally snapped and I'm ready to get something decent. I was originally looking into the 190xprob kit with the 496rc2 as it seems like a great bang for the buck. I'm thinking I'd like something lighter and carbon fiber to use for hiking trips.

This got me looking into the 190cxpro3 which looks like a great lightweight set of legs that goes super low, and retains the horizontal center column option which will be fun to play with for macro work. I'm curious though, Benro has been mentioned a lot, is there something in the Benro range that would be comparable?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Fists Up posted:

I use this exact setup and I love it. A little heavy (but unless you go carbon fibre you dont have much of an option) but no other complaints.

Thanks bud, that extra bit of reassurance means I'll go that way then.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Falco posted:

This got me looking into the 190cxpro3 which looks like a great lightweight set of legs that goes super low, and retains the horizontal center column option which will be fun to play with for macro work. I'm curious though, Benro has been mentioned a lot, is there something in the Benro range that would be comparable?

There's a benro flexpod (supposedly - never seen it) with rotating centre column, the c2xxx series are a bit bigger and stronger than the 055 series (c1xxx is a bit smaller) but no rotating column. But for macro maybe the benbo series? They seem to all be 2 leg sections and Al so they're not really suitable for hiking.

If you MUST have the rotating centre column, I reckon you're on the money with the 190cxpro

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Fists Up posted:

I use this exact setup and I love it. A little heavy (but unless you go carbon fibre you dont have much of an option) but no other complaints.

Same here. Sturdy rig and a decent price.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What do people think of the Gorillapod DSLR?

Dr. Van Nostrand
Sep 4, 2007
Dr. Van No-Squats
I think those quotes about lenses being useless without a tripod are overkill. Yes tripods are important in many scenarios, but with modern technology they're certainly not necessary at all times. I frequently travel without one because I know when I get a certain flow going, a tripod will just be distracting.

It's not like we're walking around with 400 speed film hoping that will suffice for whatever we encounter. Being able to change iso at a whim and use ridiculously high settings at great quality is such an amazing thing. Sure we're spoiled... And it's awesome.

Dont get me wrong I'm not hating on tripods. Sometimes you need to slow things down... Other times you don't.

I held this amazingly small and light travel tripod a while ago. It was close to a grand though. I'm going to have to start saving again.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Thanks to this thread I picked up a 496RC2 and 3021PRO legs on the cheap. Took them out for a bit today and was very impressed with the sturdiness. Was able to sling camera+lens on tripod over the shoulder and not worry. Even with the heaviest lens (70-200 f/4L) on a 5DII the ball head didn't even budge.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

What do people think of the Gorillapod DSLR?
I've got one step, uh, sideways? down? up? in the Gorillapod lineup, the Gorillapod-SLR-Zoom with the ballhead (link). I bought it at my local shop, for a bit less than $100. It's all-around very good. I find it tricky to use on a nice flat level surface like a desk or a floor, because it's designed to be wrapped around and shoved into things. With my heaviest lens on my K10D, a Vivitar Series 1 28-105 manual-focus all-metal beast, it will tip over if I'm not careful to set up the legs to take the weight properly. On any other surface - uneven rocks, bare soil, snow, etc. it's excellent, and it really shines if you use it for what it's made for - wrap the legs around a pole or a treebranch. Mine absolutely loves chain link fences.

A friend had the original version for his Canon (Xsi, if I remember correctly). His apparently worked loose on several of the leg joints over time, and is no longer useable. I believe the versions on sale now are much better, and they solved that problem.

Oprah Haza posted:

Thanks to this thread I picked up a 496RC2 and 3021PRO legs on the cheap. Took them out for a bit today and was very impressed with the sturdiness. Was able to sling camera+lens on tripod over the shoulder and not worry. Even with the heaviest lens (70-200 f/4L) on a 5DII the ball head didn't even budge.
This is very gratifying to hear - thanks! I've got a 3021BPRO on its way to me and I'll probably pick up the 498RC2 for it. I've got (probably stupid) plans to use the panning marks on the 498 to help with panoramas.

EDIT: Peek-shures!

Cameras (1 of 3) by Execudork, on Flickr

Gorillapod on fence by Execudork, on Flickr
It's very small, it's very light, and I stuff it in my backpack along with my camera every day.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 28, 2011

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I'll probably pick up the 498RC2 for it. I've got (probably stupid) plans to use the panning marks on the 498 to help with panoramas.

Get the RC4 version if you can. It's a bit more useful with the level.

Also, panning marks don't really help, so don't buy it just for that. If you have any foreground detail you need to rotate about the nodal point rather than the mount point, and I do it by just picking features at one edge of the frame and make sure they are still comfortably in frame after moving.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

:words:

Awesome, thanks!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Captain Postal posted:

Get the RC4 version if you can. It's a bit more useful with the level.

Also, panning marks don't really help, so don't buy it just for that. If you have any foreground detail you need to rotate about the nodal point rather than the mount point, and I do it by just picking features at one edge of the frame and make sure they are still comfortably in frame after moving.
I never see RC4 versions for sale, the RC2 are rare enough for whatever stupid reason. I'm trying to avoid just throwing money around, so I'm forcing myself to not buy something on-line if I've already got something on its way to me. Baby steps, baby steps...

The level on the RC4 isn't a big appeal to me, because for a panorama I'd want the top of the tripod to be level so the rotation around that point is on a horizontal plane. A level on the ballhead isn't going to help me determine if the tripod is level. A small 2-axis spirit level from a hardware store seems like the best option.

Stupid question: is the nodal point not directly above the tripod mount in most modern DSLRs? Looking at my Pentax K10D, it looks like the mount is directly below and centered on the sensor, or is off front-or-back by at most a couple of millimetres. Obviously this goes right out the window in portrait mode, but for landscapes at least it looks like everything lines up.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I never see RC4 versions for sale, the RC2 are rare enough for whatever stupid reason. I'm trying to avoid just throwing money around, so I'm forcing myself to not buy something on-line if I've already got something on its way to me. Baby steps, baby steps...
Yeah, I had to get mine online, and truth be told, tighten it with an allen wrench when it arrived. But the tightening was a 498 part, not an RC4 specific part.

ExecuDork posted:

The level on the RC4 isn't a big appeal to me, because for a panorama I'd want the top of the tripod to be level so the rotation around that point is on a horizontal plane. A level on the ballhead isn't going to help me determine if the tripod is level. A small 2-axis spirit level from a hardware store seems like the best option.
Fair 'nough. Personally, because of the limitations to just panning, I don't see any advantage to levelling the legs and just panning vs. levelling the head each time, especially since the head doesn't really need to be level with photomerge. But a level on the legs won't help with portrait mode, hence my preference.

ExecuDork posted:

Stupid question: is the nodal point not directly above the tripod mount in most modern DSLRs? Looking at my Pentax K10D, it looks like the mount is directly below and centered on the sensor, or is off front-or-back by at most a couple of millimetres. Obviously this goes right out the window in portrait mode, but for landscapes at least it looks like everything lines up.
No. The nodal point is a property of the lens, not the body. It's on the optical axis, usually a little behind the first optical element but exact position varies with lens and focal length if using zooms.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 1, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Sadly, rotating around the nodal point and avoiding throwing money around are mutually exclusive :( The nodal point is going to be different with each lens (and focal length, for zooms) and will generally be somewhere within the lens itself - hence complex and expensive setups like this.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ah, I see. Thanks to both of you. I haven't bought a head yet, still waiting in a feeble attempt to not wreck my budget (the analogy here is "beating a dead horse").

EDIT: talking about lack of funds is boring and depressing.
I tend to keep the quick-release plate for my Gorillapod's ballhead on my camera most of the time, and I'll probably do something similar when I have a proper tripod + head. Do other people do this? Do you own multiple quick-release plates so you can keep one on the camera, one on the big telephoto, etc.?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 2, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ExecuDork posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks to both of you. I haven't bought a head yet, still waiting in a feeble attempt to not wreck my budget (the analogy here is "beating a dead horse").

I tend to keep the quick-release plate for my Gorillapod's ballhead on my camera most of the time, and I'll probably do something similar when I have a proper tripod + head. Do other people do this? Do you own multiple quick-release plates so you can keep one on the camera, one on the big telephoto, etc.?

I always keep a plate on, my RC2 (I think) had some sharpish corners that sometimes was a pain but my new plates do not have that. That said the whole point of the plates is to make the tripod fast and easy to use.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

For what it's worth, you almost certainly don't need to worry about the nodal point of the lens - it's only an issue with panoramas with objects close to the camera, where parallax is a problem. Even when I have done handheld panoramas where that's come up, Smartblend has done some amazing things for me (and it's free) - check it out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Do you own multiple quick-release plates so you can keep one on the camera, one on the big telephoto, etc.?
I have 2 plates, one goes on the camera when I take the legs with me, the other stays on my 70-200's tripod collar, which I leave at home unless I take the legs.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

I have 2 plates, one goes on the camera when I take the legs with me, the other stays on my 70-200's tripod collar, which I leave at home unless I take the legs.

I also do two plates, but my collar stays on my 70-200 all the time (I like to hold it as a grip).

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I'm thinking of getting a monopod for sports shooting and stabilizing tele when I take videos.

Is a monopod okay by itself, or will I need some sort of head for sure? I figure without a ball head you are confined to one axis of view, but how important is the flexibility?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Miko posted:

I'm thinking of getting a monopod for sports shooting and stabilizing tele when I take videos.

Is a monopod okay by itself, or will I need some sort of head for sure? I figure without a ball head you are confined to one axis of view, but how important is the flexibility?
Type of lens you're using will probably be a factor, but for my 600mm I don't use a head on the monopod and it's fine (plus it helps keep the weight down). It's still pretty easy to tilt the monopod if you need a different angle.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 8, 2011

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

How do I lock my 496RC2 ballhead onto my 190XPROB tripod? It's like it's too small for the tripod and I can't use the screws at the bottom to lock it in place.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Miko posted:

I pretty much need a head on mine but I'm 6'6" so most monopods were just way too uncomfortable to use.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Miko posted:

You don't need need need a head for the monopod but it helps for finding a comfortable position which is important over the span of a game. If I had some gigantor lens, I'd probably run without a ball head since it would be more solid, but for something like a 70-200, it's good to have.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Gentle Autist posted:

How do I lock my 496RC2 ballhead onto my 190XPROB tripod? It's like it's too small for the tripod and I can't use the screws at the bottom to lock it in place.
I am also very interested in this question. My new-to-me 3021BPRO just arrived, but I haven't bought a head for it yet. Would the 48xRC2 series heads be a better fit than the 49xRC2 series?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I'm in the market for tripods for my medium format and 5x4 cameras. Until now I've had long-term loans from a friend but shall need to return these soon.

I've been using Manfrotto 055CLB legs with 029 head with my 500C/M. My only complaint is that the centre column is too long, and sometimes prevents me from getting as low as I want.

I've been using Manfrotto 161MK2B legs with 229 head with my P2. Functionally it's excellent, but I don't actually need it to be this heavy and I'd rather pay less.

Any suggestions are welcome on legs I should be looking at.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ric posted:

I'm in the market for tripods for my medium format and 5x4 cameras. Until now I've had long-term loans from a friend but shall need to return these soon.

I've been using Manfrotto 055CLB legs with 029 head with my 500C/M. My only complaint is that the centre column is too long, and sometimes prevents me from getting as low as I want.

I've been using Manfrotto 161MK2B legs with 229 head with my P2. Functionally it's excellent, but I don't actually need it to be this heavy and I'd rather pay less.

I've got a set of Giottos carbon fiber legs (too lazy to go look up the model #, I know it's been discontinued and replaced with something new) I picked up on Craigslist for $200. They're sturdy as hell, and not too weighty given the strength of the tripod. It can get pretty low and do all sorts of contortions with the center column. The downside is it only has 2-section legs, so it doesn't fold up too small. Eventually I want to buy a smaller CF tripod for my lighter cameras, and keep the Giottos for the big guns.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ric posted:

I've been using the Manfrotto 190CL legs and the 484RC2 ball head. It's solid as a rock with my RB67 @ 9 lbs and I'm hoping to test it with a sinar F1 soon enough.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just picked up a Sirui G20 ballhead to go on my Manfrotto 3021BPRO legs. I took it outside and tried it out and so far, so good.

It was $100 at my local shop, and appears to be functionally equivalent to the 498RC2, which they didn't have in stock and would have cost about $135. The Sirui heads use the Arca-Swiss plates, so I'll be able to spend way too much money on accessories like extra-long plates for messing up my focus with macro.

Has anybody else had any experience with Sirui stuff? They're another new-to-this-market Chinese company, I hadn't heard of them before; the salesman at the store said they'd been selling them for less than a year.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I have an old(ish) Bogen ball-head- the number on it is 3262QR. I just got a heavier 70-300 lens- (Canon 60D + 70-300L) and unless I really crank down the ball the lens tips forward (and also will sag a tiny bit). Anyone know what the next step up in burliness would be for a new ball head?

This is mostly for wildlife photography.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I've got one step, uh, sideways? down? up? in the Gorillapod lineup, the Gorillapod-SLR-Zoom with the ballhead (link).

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggh I should have gone this way. I think the GorillapodDSLR that I bought was more for those superzoom point-and-shoots. :( Even my small lenses seem to weigh this down.

E: Or do I say "gently caress it" and go all the way to the Focus + ballhead?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 28, 2011

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I have an old(ish) Bogen ball-head- the number on it is 3262QR. I just got a heavier 70-300 lens- (Canon 60D + 70-300L) and unless I really crank down the ball the lens tips forward (and also will sag a tiny bit). Anyone know what the next step up in burliness would be for a new ball head?

This is mostly for wildlife photography.

I just went up to the 486RC2 and it does up to 6kg (14 lbs). It's pretty strong and supports my RB67 and Sinar F1.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

unless I really crank down the ball the lens tips forward (and also will sag a tiny bit).
Are you using the foot on the lens?

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

DJExile posted:

E: Or do I say "gently caress it" and go all the way to the Focus + ballhead?

If I were you (I have a 7d with a 17-55) I would almost put the SLR-Zoom at it's weight limit. I would be going for the focus, just for the overkill factor when it comes to support.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I just went up to the 486RC2 and it does up to 6kg (14 lbs). It's pretty strong and supports my RB67 and Sinar F1.

Thanks- it looks like that may be discontinued now. Where did you get yours from? It looks like the 496 or 498 may be the replacement.

evil_bunnY posted:

Are you using the foot on the lens?

Nope- it didn't come with one like the bigger lenses, and I didn't think I'd need it since it was the "small" telephoto zoom. Maybe it would be cheaper to look for that rather than a new head.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Thanks- it looks like that may be discontinued now. Where did you get yours from? It looks like the 496 or 498 may be the replacement.

Oops, I linked the wrong one, i just bought mine at a local camera store a couple days ago so I didn't remember the exact model number. I have the 496 not the 486.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ferris Bueller posted:

If I were you (I have a 7d with a 17-55) I would almost put the SLR-Zoom at it's weight limit. I would be going for the focus, just for the overkill factor when it comes to support.

Yeah, better to have too much.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So my tripod arrived and it looks good, planning to use it for some landscapes sometime in the next few days. Got a couple of questions first however.

I've read that a lot of landscape photographers use mirror lock-up mode on their camera with a tripod and remote shutter release. Should I be doing the same?

Should I leave IS on my lenses on while taking shots. I've heard it can create massive blur but I've also heard the newer camera models (I'm using a 550d) can detect whether or not the camera is resting. Should it be fine with IS on?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Auditore posted:

I've read that a lot of landscape photographers use mirror lock-up mode on their camera with a tripod and remote shutter release. Should I be doing the same?

If you're shooting at slow shutter speeds, this is a good idea. If you're shooting in low light, you pretty much have to. Remote shutter releases are good to have and don't cost too much money, however if you don't have one, you don't have to worry about running out and buying one asap. Using the timer function on the on the shutter achieves the same goal.

quote:

Should I leave IS on my lenses on while taking shots. I've heard it can create massive blur but I've also heard the newer camera models (I'm using a 550d) can detect whether or not the camera is resting. Should it be fine with IS on?

I've heard it doesn't matter and I was going to tell you to check the manual, but then I just checked mine for the 70-200 IS II:

Not very helpful, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Haggins posted:

If you're shooting at slow shutter speeds, this is a good idea. If you're shooting in low light, you pretty much have to. Remote shutter releases are good to have and don't cost too much money, however if you don't have one, you don't have to worry about running out and buying one asap. Using the timer function on the on the shutter achieves the same goal.

I've heard it doesn't matter and I was going to tell you to check the manual, but then I just checked mine for the 70-200 IS II:

Not very helpful, huh?

Cheers, mate. I neglected to mention I got a Hahnel full-blown remote shutter release with the tripod too, just because I can.

Looks like it's just practice for the image stabilization then. Seeing as I'll mostly be using it for landscapes in the foreseeable future and they are relatively static an exposure using each setting will hopefully ensure I get the right one.

• Locked thread