Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I ended up ordering the Benro Travel Angel, but didn't go all out for carbon fiber:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004477MFQ

I did opt for the heavier duty head on it, cause it was only $20 or so more. If I get more serious about the hobby I might pick up a full size tripod and go all out with carbon fiber. For now this should be more than enough, and its not a cheapo $20 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

What is the difference between 498RC2 and 498RC4? For some reason the latter one got very bad reviews on Adorama, but it is recommended in OP.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ole_bjorne posted:

What is the difference between 498RC2 and 498RC4? For some reason the latter one got very bad reviews on Adorama, but it is recommended in OP.

One of the two reviews for the RC4 is a bad one-sentence review. That's enough to drag the score down...

The RC4 plate is bigger than the RC2 plate and the RC4 head might have an extra spirit level. That's about the only differences I see.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ole_bjorne posted:

RC4 plate is for medium/large format cameras. It's a little too big (it'll fit but be kind of large) on a regular dSLR-- At least that's what I was told when I was trying to decide between them.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

RC4 plate is for medium/large format cameras. It's a little too big (it'll fit but be kind of large) on a regular dSLR-- At least that's what I was told when I was trying to decide between them.

in my opinion this is BS. The RC4 plate is probably 15mm smaller than my battery grip.

The real difference is the RC4 has 2 levelling bubbles and the RC2 doesn't. They are extremely handy things to have when you don't have one and need it. Unless you're shooting a baby slr like a 1XXXD size, get the RC4. If you are using a baby, I'd probably still get the RC4 as they are both uncomfortable to handhold when removed from the head, so might as well have the level.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Ok, thanks for clarifications, will get RC4. Since this head is quite heavy, will it be stable on 190XPROB, or I should upgrade to something like 055XB? I have D5100, which is quite light, might upgrade to D7000, which is also light.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Stability depends on focal length. A wide angle on a D7000 will be stable (enough) on a marshmallow.

Personally I found tripod weight to be the major factor for tripod selection. I'd go with a carbon 190 series of those two unless you do wildlife photography or shoot >300mm lenses.

If you do use long lenses, then you really should test yourself in store rather than trust internet reviews as most internet people talk about supported weight which is complete and utter bullshit (tripods fail to work due to vibration in the legs and so are limited by focal length not weight). <200mm you can buy almost anything reasonable and you'll be fine, but a lighter tripod will get more use than a heavy one. As an added bonus carbon is better at damping vibration than Al, all things being equal.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 29, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I haven't had any stability issues with my Mamiya 645 and my 498RC2. My heaviest lens doesn't make it sag or move at all when it's locked.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone know what a good fluid pan-head for a Manfrotto tripod would be? I plan to use it for my 40D and a go pro. I'm only asking because there are a million options. I'd like not to spend my camera's worth on a head though. That would be nice.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I really like the Manfrotto 501 HDV on my 028B tripod. Its counterbalance system is pure sex.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
I want to ask for a recommendation for a relatively small, light tripod system that tops at around ~$500. I'm partial to ball-heads, and due to an incoming capture camera clip, I'd much prefer it be arca-swiss compatible. Everyone seems to be using Manfrotto tripods, and I've seen a few I like, but for some reason I can't find a lot of information re: arca-swiss compatible ones.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You're not finding any information because tripod studs are (with the exception of cheap, lovely hobbyist tripods) standardized. Good tripods are 3/8" male, most heads are 3/8" female, mate them together and you're off to the races. One of those rare instances where no information existing is a good thing. ;)

Occasionally you'll find a 1/4" head, but they're mainly lighter-duty and they almost always accept an adapter, which is almost always included. Slap any Arca or Arca-compatible head on any decent tripod and you're set.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Finally got myself a Gitzo 2531 to pair with my Markins Q3 head. Swapped out the center column and base for the Markins tripod base and I'm loving the combo so far. It's only slightly heavier than my old Sirui T1204X but feels much more sturdier and well-built. No more grease streaks coming out from the twist locks!

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Molten Llama posted:

You're not finding any information because tripod studs are (with the exception of cheap, lovely hobbyist tripods) standardized. Good tripods are 3/8" male, most heads are 3/8" female, mate them together and you're off to the races. One of those rare instances where no information existing is a good thing. ;)

Occasionally you'll find a 1/4" head, but they're mainly lighter-duty and they almost always accept an adapter, which is almost always included. Slap any Arca or Arca-compatible head on any decent tripod and you're set.

Well, that explains it. I was certain that Manfrotto legs and Arca-Swiss heads were incompatible. Would Giottos MH1000-652 and Manfrotto 190XPROB be a good combo? Looking at the OP both seem recommended, and as far as I can see, the Giottos is arca-swiss compatible.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Are you tall? The 055 might be better than the 190.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
I'm pretty average at 1.8m (that's 5'8'' 5'11"), so I guess the slightly bigger 055 might be better. Any opinions on the head?

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 20, 2011

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I'm the same height; the 055 was far taller than I needed. I'd get the 190 of the two. 146cm tripod +15cm for the head +15cm for the camera to viewfinder is about 20cm above your eye level without bending your neck. Sure you'll actually use it with the centre column retracted, but the 055 is a beast to carry

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
Does anyone have any opinion on this tripod?
http://www.takara.ir/en/TMK-244B.php

It's going for ~40usd in Korea and seems like a deal with the quick release

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Wow it's not even a Chinese knockoff it's an Iranian knockoff.

The question you are you going to have to ask yourself "do I want to put potentially $x000+ on top of $40, or something I can maybe trust a bit more?"

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I have upgraded from a Velbon VGB-3CC to a Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 with a 496 RC2 Head.For only 225$! (175$ before tax , stupid Canadian taxes) My father bought the velbon 20years ago... I felt it was time for a change! I made my choice from the Op recommendation list and so far I am really satisfied.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I just bought one of these cheap Ravelli branded tripods and am kind of astounded at how well it is functioning. Light enough, folds up relatively compact for how tall it can get, friction turn locks are sturdy and quick, knob-based ball head holds my 5D and heaviest lens at weird angles without drooping, reversible center column with spring loaded weight hook. The two included mounting plates tighten securely to the camera without working loose unlike every cheap tripod I've ever used. Also unlike every cheap tripod I've ever used, this thing is quick and easy to go up and down.

It's definitely not a manfrotto, but for this price if it lasts 6-9 months without snapping a leg I'm happy. All my camera poo poo is insured, so I'm not worried about the damage potential. If it doesn't last, well, I guess I'll have to get fancy with the next one.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Anyone have a Manfrotto 327rc2 head?

I've been thinking about getting one as the grip seems quicker to use then fiddling with a little lever and then moving the camera. I also have an issue with the camera moving when I tighten the ball again on my existing head, is that a big concern with the 327?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I just bought one of these cheap Ravelli branded tripods and am kind of astounded at how well it is functioning. Light enough, folds up relatively compact for how tall it can get, friction turn locks are sturdy and quick, knob-based ball head holds my 5D and heaviest lens at weird angles without drooping, reversible center column with spring loaded weight hook. The two included mounting plates tighten securely to the camera without working loose unlike every cheap tripod I've ever used. Also unlike every cheap tripod I've ever used, this thing is quick and easy to go up and down.

It's definitely not a manfrotto, but for this price if it lasts 6-9 months without snapping a leg I'm happy. All my camera poo poo is insured, so I'm not worried about the damage potential. If it doesn't last, well, I guess I'll have to get fancy with the next one.

I have a similar Dolica that I carry in my checked bag on business trips. It performs extremely well considering I paid less than $50 for it. I don't put a heavy L lens on it and walk away on a windy day, but it definitely can get the job done in a lot of circumstances.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I just picked up a Feisol CM-1471 carbon fiber monopod. It's light but it feels super sturdy, and it seems like it's much taller than advertised. I'm really excited for the weather to clear up a little so i can start going on hikes and trying this out!

Also, I picked up a manfrotto 498RC2 but UPS sent it to the wrong sorting facility so I have to wait an additional week to get it :( I'm hoping it'll be an upgrade from the ballhead on my $16 Proline tripod!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Turd Nelson posted:

I just picked up a Feisol CM-1471 carbon fiber monopod. It's light but it feels super sturdy, and it seems like it's much taller than advertised. I'm really excited for the weather to clear up a little so i can start going on hikes and trying this out!

Also, I picked up a manfrotto 498RC2 but UPS sent it to the wrong sorting facility so I have to wait an additional week to get it :( I'm hoping it'll be an upgrade from the ballhead on my $16 Proline tripod!

If that's Dolica ball head then yeah it's huge, it's what I upgraded to as well.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

If that's Dolica ball head then yeah it's huge, it's what I upgraded to as well.

Yeah its the dolicia head. I've always felt like it was a bit wonky - I constantly had to make adjustments once the head was tightened and it would tend to sag quite a bit. I guess I got what I paid for.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
The manfrotto 498rc2 is pure sex compared to my old ballhead. I can actually use my tripod and monopod now. Thanks for the recommendation, goons!

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Does anyone have any experience with the Gitzo offset ballheads? I have a chance to pick up a used set-up with one of their heads and I was curious if anyone had strong feelings on that kind of head orientation.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Missed this thread when I posted in the camera gear thread :doh:

Looking for a nice tripod for taking on hikes, a few were recommended in the other thread but wanted to move the question to the proper place. Thanks Goons!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

So far I´ve managed using only my Gorillapod, but with extension tubes on my 55-250 it is becoming very unstable and I cannot stop it from drooping whenever I try macro. The ballhead seems fine, but it is a real problem to get the legs to support the weight.

All this Manfrotto talk had me page through their website and there is one thing I don´t understand. The tripods all have a minimum height, which is even shorter then their length when collapsed. Can you hang the camera from the bottom when the center column is all the way down or how should I see this? I´ve seen a picture of something like that before, with the center column swinging around to the bottom, but I doubt this is what they mean. The 055XB specifically mentions inverting the center column as a feature, but none of the others do.

Edit: Doh, it seems to mean you can pull the legs all the way out and place them horizontally on the floor. I kept thinking about them being connected in the center for some reason.

Currently looking at the 498RC4 (only have an 1100D but like the levels since I use them a lot with the Gorillapad and am planning to update the camera within a year) combined with either the 055XDB, 055XB or 055XPROB. Is that a decent combination?

BioTech fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 26, 2012

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

BioTech posted:

So far I´ve managed using only my Gorillapod, but with extension tubes on my 55-250 it is becoming very unstable and I cannot stop it from drooping whenever I try macro. The ballhead seems fine, but it is a real problem to get the legs to support the weight.

All this Manfrotto talk had me page through their website and there is one thing I don´t understand. The tripods all have a minimum height, which is even shorter then their length when collapsed. Can you hang the camera from the bottom when the center column is all the way down or how should I see this? I´ve seen a picture of something like that before, with the center column swinging around to the bottom, but I doubt this is what they mean. The 055XB specifically mentions inverting the center column as a feature, but none of the others do.

Edit: Doh, it seems to mean you can pull the legs all the way out and place them horizontally on the floor. I kept thinking about them being connected in the center for some reason.

Currently looking at the 498RC4 (only have an 1100D but like the levels since I use them a lot with the Gorillapad and am planning to update the camera within a year) combined with either the 055XDB, 055XB or 055XPROB. Is that a decent combination?

My manfrotto can also have the center column flip so you can hang the camera upside down for those sorts of shots. They even had instructions in the pamphlet on how to set it up correctly.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
A friend asked me to shoot his recital on video. Since my car is in the shop right now (thanks to Seattle Snowmageddon), he came over to give me and my gear a ride to the venue. We were loading up, but I had to run back inside for something. By the time I came out, he (supposedly) had everything in the car, and so without further adieu we backed out of the driveway.

CRUNCH "Jesus, what was that?"

"That" was my tripod, now neatly bent into a sort of V-shape. :suicide: Apparently he forgot about it, and I didn't see it before I got into the car.

So now I'm in the market for a new tripod. I've poked around B&H's website a bit, but I'm not seeing anything that is really recommended for both video and still photography. Any suggestions?

(No wonder the DSLR thread is subtitled "Stop now while you still have money!")

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BuckT.Trend posted:

I'm not seeing anything that is really recommended for both video and still photography. Any suggestions?

That's because any set of legs can use any head. The legs don't really matter what you're doing, as long as they're stable. Choose a set of legs + choose a head. You probably want a pan-tilt head of some sort if you like video work that much. I can't be more specific because I only do stills so I use a ball-head.

From your description of the damage your existing head might be fine anyway so you'd just need legs, unless its a cheap crappy-crap-crap integrated job from china, in which case getting run over was probably the best thing for it.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BuckT.Trend posted:

So now I'm in the market for a new tripod. I've poked around B&H's website a bit, but I'm not seeing anything that is really recommended for both video and still photography. Any suggestions?
Probably a set of Manfrotto legs, I'm not sure how big your video camera is but I think the 055CXPRO3 should be adequate. For the head, something like the 501HDV Pro Video Head would do well.

mobot
Apr 19, 2003

BuckT.Trend posted:

I'm not seeing anything that is really recommended for both video and still photography. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately there isn't really a great head solution for video and still use, mainly because a video head is going to function differently than a still head. Still heads want to move the camera easily from horizontal to vertical orientation and lock solid anywhere in between. Video cameras wouldn't usually get mounted vertically, so that functionality isn't needed in a video head. What is needed in a video head is ultra-smooth fluid movement when panning and tilting.

Something like the Manfrotto 501 mentioned in the last post would be a good start for video, but would be annoying for still as it's not really designed to shoot vertically. You'll have to take the tripod plate off and rotate it 90 degrees every time you change orientation, and that's assuming the camera fits on the head that way. If that doesn't matter to you, then you're all set with the 501, otherwise get a really beefy still head and refrain from panning while recording video, or it's going to be wobbly as all hell.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Manfrotto 028 legs with 501 head is pure sex.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.
So, I was tossing up about spending money this pay on a good tripod/head or on a 17-50mm lens and speed light. Since I'm posting in the tripod thread, it can be safely assumed the tripod won out.

Bring it. Hopefully I'll have it before the weekend. I got a cheap cable release and a IR remoter off ebay the other day, so I'm set. If it ever stops raining here I'll have a nice rig to take bush walking (hiking) in the mountains around here.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Just bought some Tripod fun today.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap knock-off Arca-Swiss compatible QR plates? I've got one incoming from an ebay seller for about $18, but I'm hoping there's a Chinese (or whatever) machine shop churning them out for less. Ideally I'd like to throw a QR plate on pretty much every camera I have and just stop worrying about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I purchased a Bogen 3236 Tripod with a Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head for the cool price of $86 a few months ago and while they're stable as hell and beastlike in their construction I'm finding myself wanting a stable and lightweight field tripod.

I have a cheaper Giottos tripod with a cheap Manfrotto miniball head, but I'm finding myself wanting something lighter and more stable. Perhaps a tilty center column. Is there any reason I should get the Manfrotto 190CX3 over the Manfrotto 055XPROB?

I'm also looking to get a reasonably priced fluid head for video work, are the low end Manfrottos a good place to start or should I just buy right and buy once?

My heaviest body is a D200 and my heaviest lens is a Nikon 80-200 F/2.8.

• Locked thread