Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

truncated aardvar posted:

So, I was tossing up about spending money this pay on a good tripod/head or on a 17-50mm lens and speed light. Since I'm posting in the tripod thread, it can be safely assumed the tripod won out.

Bring it. Hopefully I'll have it before the weekend. I got a cheap cable release and a IR remoter off ebay the other day, so I'm set. If it ever stops raining here I'll have a nice rig to take bush walking (hiking) in the mountains around here.

I'm quoting myself to advise anyone that I finally got these today after some delay and they're frikkin awesome. I didn't realise just how awesome they'd be, but it was so nice to use them. I never had to wrestle with them and everything was light and smooth and stayed where I put it. The triggered grip is amazing. I did some trial long exposures tonight, something I'd been wanting to do forever.

Miso Beno posted:

I purchased a Bogen 3236 Tripod with a Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head for the cool price of $86 a few months ago and while they're stable as hell and beastlike in their construction I'm finding myself wanting a stable and lightweight field tripod.

I have a cheaper Giottos tripod with a cheap Manfrotto miniball head, but I'm finding myself wanting something lighter and more stable. Perhaps a tilty center column. Is there any reason I should get the Manfrotto 190CX3 over the Manfrotto 055XPROB?

I'm also looking to get a reasonably priced fluid head for video work, are the low end Manfrottos a good place to start or should I just buy right and buy once?

My heaviest body is a D200 and my heaviest lens is a Nikon 80-200 F/2.8.

I saw your questions before but couldn't answer any of it sadly. How did you end up going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

I saw your questions before but couldn't answer any of it sadly. How did you end up going?

I bought a white Panasonic GF2 instead. :v:

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Miso Beno posted:

I bought a white Panasonic GF2 instead. :v:

That would have been my next guess.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

That would have been my next guess.

Since I have the other two tripods I'm somewhat resistant to purchase a third tripod unless I'm at least a little more certain it's something I'll need.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Probably an unreasonable request, but I am traveling to France and was thinking of bringing a tripod in my kit which is already way too much poo poo (t2i, 5dm2, 400mm 5.6l, 100m macro 2.8l, bunch of varied zooms, gorillapod) so I am looking for something light, portable BUT still something that I would love using when not traveling. The gorillapod is a little disappointing as I got the more expensive heavier duty one but it won't support the 400mm and body without drooping.

I would love to find something that I could strap into the tripod holding thing on my apecase fully assembled with head attached and not have it protrude above the top of the case. I think this means that the collapsed height should be around 1.5 feet...

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

demonachizer posted:

Probably an unreasonable request, but I am traveling to France and was thinking of bringing a tripod in my kit which is already way too much poo poo (t2i, 5dm2, 400mm 5.6l, 100m macro 2.8l, bunch of varied zooms, gorillapod) so I am looking for something light, portable BUT still something that I would love using when not traveling. The gorillapod is a little disappointing as I got the more expensive heavier duty one but it won't support the 400mm and body without drooping.

I would love to find something that I could strap into the tripod holding thing on my apecase fully assembled with head attached and not have it protrude above the top of the case. I think this means that the collapsed height should be around 1.5 feet...

I got the four sectioned tripod posted above in part for it's collapsed height vs it's extended height (I hate stooping), but that's still 2.1 feet with head. Apart from that it meets all your criteria.

Good luck!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

I got the four sectioned tripod posted above in part for it's collapsed height vs it's extended height (I hate stooping), but that's still 2.1 feet with head. Apart from that it meets all your criteria.

Good luck!

I might go with the 3 section instead of 4. Will this work fine with a 5D Mark II and a 400mm 5.6l? I know that vibration can be a bitch with longer lenses. Unfortunately, I don't have a great option for a camera store near me to test it out.

I actually already ordered them and will just cancel as necessary.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

To be honest I've only tried it on wide so far at night - total weight of camera and lens about 1.4kg, a lot lighter than your setup. I've read good reports on it and I've read a report on it having "a lot of vibration in wind" - it's hard to tell with reviews. Really I don't know what to believe sometimes when reading these reveiws.

The long exposure stuff I did on it seemed fine (about a minute maximum) but again it was a lighter, wider lens and not much wind around. I've seen demos on youtube on similar heads with long lenses and there didn't seem to be much bounce or rebound when trying to line up a shot.

Perhaps you can go through this thread and PM some of the people who have a similar tripods?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

demonachizer posted:

This is maybe too late but I absolutely love my Gitzo 1541T. I've taken it everywhere. It's 2.1 pounds and folds up to 16". It's no longer available, but the new 1542T is almost the same.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

This is maybe too late but I absolutely love my Gitzo 1541T. I've taken it everywhere. It's 2.1 pounds and folds up to 16". It's no longer available, but the new 1542T is almost the same.

Might not be too late since my 055 didn't even ship yet... Does it seem like it would handle a 400mm 5.6l and body with grip without much issue?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

demonachizer posted:

Might not be too late since my 055 didn't even ship yet... Does it seem like it would handle a 400mm 5.6l and body with grip without much issue?

I put my 5D2 + 70-200 + 1.4x on it all the time. I've even used it for 4x5 before, though I'm sure it wasn't as good for that...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So the tripod arrived and seems stable enough... Dumb question. What is the plastic thing clipped to one of the legs used for? I have something similar on a manfrotto monopod that I found in the garbage and never figured out what it was.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

demonachizer posted:

So the tripod arrived and seems stable enough... Dumb question. What is the plastic thing clipped to one of the legs used for? I have something similar on a manfrotto monopod that I found in the garbage and never figured out what it was.

That's your wrench for adjusting the leg locks.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah, it's actually strong enough to undo the nuts, which was surprising. Seems like something that you'll never use until one day something will come up and then you'll realise that it's missing and probably has been for months.

How is the tripod with the long lens?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Yeah, it's actually strong enough to undo the nuts, which was surprising. Seems like something that you'll never use until one day something will come up and then you'll realise that it's missing and probably has been for months.

How is the tripod with the long lens?

Just from screwing around in the house it seems fine. It vibrates a little if I touch it but with remote it seems rather stable. I don't have much or a reference point unfortunately.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Just a couple of quick questions.

Does anyone knows if the really ebay branded tripods are worth my time? I think they're branded "fancier" so they aren't even the semi reputable induro or benros.

Also, how useful are those cantilever centre columns? I'm trying to figure out if I really need to get one because I'm a poor student and I have the option of looking at a cheap Chinese 190XB copy for 50 NZD second hand or a 190XPROB copy for 150$ new. I haven't seen the other one second hand and obviously if it's a complete dog I wouldn't jump for it, but I'm wondering if I should save my pennies for something a little better.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Trambopaline posted:

Just a couple of quick questions.

Does anyone knows if the really ebay branded tripods are worth my time? I think they're branded "fancier" so they aren't even the semi reputable induro or benros.

Also, how useful are those cantilever centre columns? I'm trying to figure out if I really need to get one because I'm a poor student and I have the option of looking at a cheap Chinese 190XB copy for 50 NZD second hand or a 190XPROB copy for 150$ new. I haven't seen the other one second hand and obviously if it's a complete dog I wouldn't jump for it, but I'm wondering if I should save my pennies for something a little better.

I bought the 190xprob and really like the tripod as a whole. It's rock solid, which does mean it's a bit heavy. The ball head is fantastic. I don't think I'll ever go back to a pan head again. As for the horizontal column, I've used it a few times but really not all that often. It's usually only when I want to do a macro shot or reach over a railing of sorts. Not necessary, but does come in handy from time to time. I wouldn't base my decision on it though.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

Do you do any macro work? If not, and assuming the quality is the same, save the $100 and spend it on something nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just as I posted in the gear thread about selling off my kit lens for an upgrade, I came across this deal:

Legs: Manfrotto MA 190 CXPRO4 for $300
Head: Manfrotto MA 486RC2 for $75

:signings:

While this is pretty close to the prices on Amazon, that's actually great for this lovely country as everything is generally at least 30% more expensive here. I don't really know anything about tripods other than that it's worth to pay a bit more initially than buy a bunch of lovely ones. If this is a good value, I'll try to get it and make do with the nifty fifty for a while, otherwise I'd get the lens and buy another tripod (there seem to be reasonable ones for ~$150) later once it will be really needed. Right now I only have a 550D with the kit lens and the 50mm, but wouldn't mind upgrading to a 5D + 70-200 if the cash situation improves.

FUTURE JAZZ
May 17, 2009

"Like Jamiroquai, but with the beeps and boops of Jarre.
Ask me about my new weird america klesmer Christian chamber pop band."

What is the general consensus on Majestic tripods? I found one for really, really cheap and kind of want to know what I'm getting myself into. I understand it's heavy.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
My new old Gitzo came! It's kind of big...

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

MrBlandAverage posted:

My new old Gitzo came! It's kind of big...

My God, that thing is awesome. There are times where I will balance my camera on my tripod, fully extended, above my head, and I can't get the vantage point I'm looking for. That would solve my problems.

And before you all get mad, I have spotters every time I do it.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 9, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Does anybody own a Panosaurus? Considering the typical price for panoramic heads, this seems to fall into the Nifty-Fifty camp where it's so cheap that you can't justify not owning it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Tripod nerds, I am upgrading my legs and need some help. I current use Manfrotto tracker legs (http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/526) with a 322rc2 pistol grip head. I had planned to upgrade to a set of 055xprob legs (http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Black/dp/B000UMX7FI) then I came across Benro A3480F legs (http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A3580F-Classic-Tripod-Aluminum/dp/B004E50IM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337516878&sr=8-1) which are better in every way except the weight . Carrying a heavier tripod isn't a problem for me, I don't hike and am never too far from my car. Manfrotto stuff is really well built, can anyone comment on Benro's built quality?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 21, 2012

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Benro legs are perfectly fine from my experience. They'll have limitations, but they'll be the same as for any other respectable brand.

I'd always recommend carbon even if you don't think you need it though.

edit: those links say they're both 5.3lb :confused:

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 21, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Carbon fiber is not in my budget. I want a heavy tripod for dampening purposes, too bad wood is also out of my budget. Sorry about the weight thing, I was tired when i wrote that and didn't notice that Manfrotto uses metric weight on their website, so I thought the 055xprob was 2.4lbs. :toot:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So I'm looking for a tripod. I don't know much more than "hey Manfrotto's are always a good choice" and what is in the OP. But I need a tripod that can hold ~30lbs and need to be really cheap. I don't care if the tripod itself weighs 30lbs. I don't care too much about the head, it only has to pan. I don't care what kind of telescoping or how many extensions there are. I plan to use it for a video boom crane that I'm making.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I posted this tripod question in the gear thread before finding out about this thread:

I'm looking to get my first tripod for a Canon T3i, so it would be the general use one for me. I have no idea what to look for in a tripod. I'd like something with a swivelling ball head and/or that allows swapping out of the head and one that also allows me to drop the camera somewhere within the three legs (is this even possible?). I would like to use it for macro photography and general outdoor/low light stuff. It would also be nice if it were able to support the camera close to the ground as well. I don't know enough about my shooting preferences to list other features, but whatever else you may suggest I'll take into consideration as well, especially things that may help facilitate more options for macro photography.

So that was my original question without knowing anything. I'd like to buy right the first time. I'd go for CF construction if it's recommended. For now, macro use is my main concern, and I'd also use it for general outdoor shooting (no specific scenarios in mind).

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Dudebro posted:

I posted this tripod question in the gear thread before finding out about this thread:

I'm looking to get my first tripod for a Canon T3i, so it would be the general use one for me. I have no idea what to look for in a tripod. I'd like something with a swivelling ball head and/or that allows swapping out of the head and one that also allows me to drop the camera somewhere within the three legs (is this even possible?). I would like to use it for macro photography and general outdoor/low light stuff. It would also be nice if it were able to support the camera close to the ground as well. I don't know enough about my shooting preferences to list other features, but whatever else you may suggest I'll take into consideration as well, especially things that may help facilitate more options for macro photography.

So that was my original question without knowing anything. I'd like to buy right the first time. I'd go for CF construction if it's recommended. For now, macro use is my main concern, and I'd also use it for general outdoor shooting (no specific scenarios in mind).

Buy this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480322-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html

The center post not only moves vertically, but you can pull it out and mount it hortizontally as well to get even lower to the ground. The the legs spread as wide as they'll go and the center column mounted horizontally I can get mine to within a few inches of the ground. I thought I had a picture of mine setup, but apparently not on flickr.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Why that particular Manfrotto model instead of another one? I was looking at some of their different products and it's confusing for me to find out what exactly the differences are. Is 4-legged worth it or better at all? Is carbon fibre worth the extra?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Dudebro posted:

Why that particular Manfrotto model instead of another one? I was looking at some of their different products and it's confusing for me to find out what exactly the differences are. Is 4-legged worth it or better at all? Is carbon fibre worth the extra?

Do you mean 4-section? I think they have a slightly shorter collapsed length than the 3-section (better for travel), but at the cost of taking a little while longer to deploy, and also being slightly thinner on the smallest section.

Carbon fiber will be a tad lighter, supposedly absorbs vibration a little better, and a lot more expensive. I recently got one of the 055 carbon fiber model and I really like it. I might be putting up my old 190 metal model for sale soon.

Honestly, they're all pretty great- I doubt you'd need carbon fiber, and you can always upgrade later if you decide you do.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dudebro posted:

The 4-section ones are supposed to be more prone to vibrations than a 3-section one, besides the points mentioned above. If you're going to carry it around a lot or need to fit it into a bag, a 4-section one might be better.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
I was looking into getting a decent lightweight travel tripod and head for under $200, and was considering the Benro Travel Angel A0690T:

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0690T-...ro+travel+angel

Does this seem okay? I was also looking into the Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 but it doesn't come with a head and is quite a lot heavier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Would this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Manfrotto+-+Ball+Head/2504096.p?id=1218331149447&skuId=2504096&st=manfrotto%20ball&cp=1&lp=1

Plus this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Manfrot...20190&cp=1&lp=2

Be a decent combo?

Need to unload points on my credit card and all the merchandise comes from BestBuy, which kind of limits the options. But these seem to get decent reviews and a good tripod has been on the wishlist for a while.

Portability really isn't a priority so I'm cool with the gear being a bit on the heavy side. Short walks from the car is pretty much the only expectation I have.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Would this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Manfrotto+-+Ball+Head/2504096.p?id=1218331149447&skuId=2504096&st=manfrotto%20ball&cp=1&lp=1

Plus this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Manfrot...20190&cp=1&lp=2

Be a decent combo?

Need to unload points on my credit card and all the merchandise comes from BestBuy, which kind of limits the options. But these seem to get decent reviews and a good tripod has been on the wishlist for a while.

Portability really isn't a priority so I'm cool with the gear being a bit on the heavy side. Short walks from the car is pretty much the only expectation I have.

It'll be fine, but the head is a lightweight. Do they carry heavier/bigger heads?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

torgeaux posted:

It'll be fine, but the head is a lightweight. Do they carry heavier/bigger heads?

They have an 057 head and a couple joystick heads. The 057 costs a ton and I've heard mixed opinions on the ability of joysticks to stay put.

Nothing against a top of the line head if it's good enough to deserve it, though it does mean I won't be getting the tripod with reward points.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 6, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

They have an 057 head and a couple joystick heads. The 057 costs a ton and I've heard mixed opinions on the ability of joysticks to stay put.

Nothing against a top of the line head if it's good enough to deserve it, though it does mean I won't be getting the tripod with reward points.

Those legs are great, you'd have to spend a lot more to get much better.

The head is good, not great. I spent more on my Kirk BH1 than on those same legs, and don't regret it...but that head will be good enough. Just start saving.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I use a Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick head and have no really issues with it staying in place. I don't have a tripod that has the option of a horizontal column though so if you plan on doing that YMMV. I use heavy rear end medium format cameras too.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

I want to do long exposures, is a 190XPROB and 498RC4 going to be heavy and sturdy enough?

I just have a basic DSLR and only wide lenses will be used on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Krelas posted:

I want to do long exposures, is a 190XPROB and 498RC4 going to be heavy and sturdy enough?

I just have a basic DSLR and only wide lenses will be used on it.

Yes, if it's windy you may want to sand bag it though.

• Locked thread