Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

single-mode fiber posted:

I ended up going for a Gitzo 3531 for a carbon fiber tripod, with an Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 head. I think it actually cost a little more than my D7000 and most expensive lens, but it's a really fantastic setup (although I bought it expecting that at some point I'd have as nice a camera as a 5D3 or a D800). So yeah, the tripod alone is like $900, but carbon fiber is still probably going to be just as good in 10 years, if not longer.

That's a really great setup, you'll love it! Mine is almost the same except I went for a Gitzo 2531 instead. I've got no issues carrying it around and most of my friends tell me not to let them touch it because they all regretted buying their heavy Manfrotto tripods haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I'm looking for a tripod to take a Wimberley-type gimbal mount for bird photos using a 640mm-equivalent setup (400mm on Canon 7D). Currently I have a Manfrotto 7332 and it's just not cutting it with the big lens (obviously).

The other factor is that I'm 6'4" and so ideally would like a tripod that's more than five feet tall with the center column down; I'd also like something that will minimize vibrations as well as being stable.

One possibility is the local drugstore's own-brand Milano tripods, which appear to be a high-quality CF OEM brand, and at least one nature photographer raves about one of his (London Drugs are actually pretty well established in the photography market in BC). But it's only good to 5', and I don't know if that's the height with the center column down or up.

Any thoughts or advice?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

One Swell Foop posted:

Any thoughts or advice?

Bring your camera along and try some out. Just about every London Drugs I've been to lately (I'm in the Lower Mainland) have all of their Techpro and Milano branded tripods on demo displays along with plates, even at the smaller stores. The salespeople also tend to be quite knowledgeable.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I *think* that those are made by Benro too, sort of like the MeFoto brands.

At the very least they look very, very similar.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mr. Despair posted:

I *think* that those are made by Benro too, sort of like the MeFoto brands.

At the very least they look very, very similar.

Yeah, I recently bought a Fotopro aluminum tripod in North Van and my dad brought back a Rollei carbon fibre tripod that was bought in Hong Kong. They look identical design wise, and exactly the same as the one on that site.

Both of mine have one leg that can be twisted off into a Monopod. I suspect some factory in China is cranking out bajillions of the dang things and slapping all kinds of logos on them.

grack posted:

Bring your camera along and try some out. Just about every London Drugs I've been to lately (I'm in the Lower Mainland) have all of their Techpro and Milano branded tripods on demo displays along with plates, even at the smaller stores. The salespeople also tend to be quite knowledgeable.

You're lucky. Went to a London Drugs recently and the guy working the photo counter didn't even know where their film was.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Geektox posted:

You're lucky. Went to a London Drugs recently and the guy working the photo counter didn't even know where their film was.

The guy was probably no older than 18 so you really cant expect them to know what film even is at this point.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a Benro S6 fluid head. Long story short it's taken a bit of a large tumble and now when using the counterbalance it makes soft squelching sounds. Is this the writing on the wall for it, is there some kind of fix, or does it even matter?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This was covered a few pages back, which is a few years ago and basically nothing mentioned is still for sale (except for $500 tripods), but what is a good, not shockingly expensive travel tripod? It won't have anything particularly heavy on it. I care less about weight than size, I'm been lugging a giant 3 section manfrotto for years, but I'd like something that doesn't hit my head when I strap it to my backpack. I won't mind the weight, just the size.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Guys, I'm an idiot and somehow over-tightened the head on my fancy new expensive CF tripod. Now I can't remove it to replace it with a ball head and centre column ensemble.

I've already taken it back to the shop and they can't remove it even with a vice, but the guy refused to exert too much force as he was worried about the actual tripod breaking. The only thing I can think to try is cool the tripod and hope the metal screws contract enough to loosen more easily. Would this damage the rest of the tripod, though? I'd be unscrewing the legs first, and I've read CF is good to use in fairly extreme weather conditions, but I don't know if that includes chucking it in a freezer for a few hours. (Someone else on the internet says this worked for them.) Is it worth trying a lubricant first?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

nm posted:

This was covered a few pages back, which is a few years ago and basically nothing mentioned is still for sale (except for $500 tripods), but what is a good, not shockingly expensive travel tripod?

I got a Benro Travel Angel for like two hundred bucks when my wife tricked me into hiking the Inca Trail.

It folds down to about 40cm, small enough that it fit in a daypack, is only about 2kgs (or 1.5kgs + $80 for carbon fibre, iirc) and was solid enough that it didn't smash my 7D + 17-55/10-22. One leg comes off to make a monopod, and it has a neat little hook under the main column that you can hang your heavyass bag off to stabilise it good and proper.

Oh, and it's arca swiss compatible.

I think the model number was A1692.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So, if I don't care about weight and compactness, how cheap can I go in a tripod for a 4x5 toyo camera? It's supposed to weight 8 pounds without lenses/holders, and with over a foot of railing it can pack quite some sprung weight.

I don't care about weight or size as I already have another tripod for moving-around use that can handle the rest of my cameras, but this thing is just to big/heavy for it (and for lugging around) and I can't spend too much money on this (4x5 film is already eating my savings).

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 28, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

So, if I don't care about weight and compactness, how cheap can I go in a tripod for a 4x5 toyo camera? It's supposed to weight 8 pounds without lenses/holders, and with over a foot of railing it can pack quite some sprung weight.

I don't care about weight or size as I already have another tripod for moving-around use that can handle the rest of my cameras, but this thing is just to big/heavy for it (and for lugging around) and I can't spend too much money on this (4x5 film is already eating my savings).

Cheapest okay tripod for heavy camera's is a Tiltall. Cons: the leg locks don't have antitwist and the nonremovable head doesn't have a quick release. Pros: Around $50 on CL (usually) and will out live you.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Baron Dirigible posted:

Guys, I'm an idiot and somehow over-tightened the head on my fancy new expensive CF tripod. Now I can't remove it to replace it with a ball head and centre column ensemble.

I've already taken it back to the shop and they can't remove it even with a vice, but the guy refused to exert too much force as he was worried about the actual tripod breaking. The only thing I can think to try is cool the tripod and hope the metal screws contract enough to loosen more easily. Would this damage the rest of the tripod, though? I'd be unscrewing the legs first, and I've read CF is good to use in fairly extreme weather conditions, but I don't know if that includes chucking it in a freezer for a few hours. (Someone else on the internet says this worked for them.) Is it worth trying a lubricant first?

I would try the freezer trick before splashing lube on my tripod.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I need to get rid of my lovely Best Buy tripod.

Looking for:
Sturdy enough for D600/70-200 f2.8 (probably the largest setup I'll have)
Quick release would be ideal
Photo oriented (I dont do video)
Sub $120 for legs/head if possible

Recommendations?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

20 bucks more but this would handle everything you want while still being small enough that you'll actually take it places.

http://www.amazon.com/Mefoto-A0350Q0K-Backpacker-Travel-Tripod/dp/B00BETIVUM/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1396158633&sr=1-3

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Seriously, the MeFoto tripods should probably go in the OP as being the go-to for people wanting reasonably cheap and rock solid over a range of sizes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Anyone with any experience with Velbon UT-43 tripod?
I'm comparing it to the Mefoto A1350Q1K and the Benro Travel Angel II. (Uhm, are these the same thing with a different brand on them? Specs are very similar.)
It packs down the smallest, gets pretty high, and I don't need the extra capacity. I do like that the Benro at least has a hook to hang weights off though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nm posted:

Anyone with any experience with Velbon UT-43 tripod?
I'm comparing it to the Mefoto A1350Q1K and the Benro Travel Angel II. (Uhm, are these the same thing with a different brand on them? Specs are very similar.)
It packs down the smallest, gets pretty high, and I don't need the extra capacity. I do like that the Benro at least has a hook to hang weights off though.

I think the big difference between the mefoto and the benro is that the hinges and stuff on the benro are probably rated for water/dust sealing, and the mefotos aren't.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Don't forget:

Benro Travel Angel II posted:

Ultimate Versatility
Toolless Conversion to Walking Stick with Fine Grain Wooden Knob, Compass and Hand Strap

Truly a gentleman's tripod.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Just to follow up on the tripod search, I ended up getting a Sirui M3204-X and the thing is fricking awesome. Strong, steady, light, and well made, with lots of nice features like detachable monopod leg with optional wrist strap, included short center column, and a padded case.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Just got a Feisol CT-3442. I hiked up and down a couple of mountains and it didn't feel too heavy. It seems to be at the sweet spot of portability, light weight, and stability (I like not having a center column), without being as insanely pricey as a Gitzo tripod.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Picked up some Giottos MT8351 legs on the cheap local (last-years model clearance) and then a Benro B2 head from Amazon to go along with it. The main locking knob was seized up on it when it arrived, so it's getting returned and now I'm having second thoughts about that model. Thinking about picking up a Feisol CB-40D head instead. Anything else I should look at? I'm generally looking for lightweight and intend on hiking with it. Have a 450D though I intend on moving to a 70D or 6D this year, and my heaviest lense is a 70-200mm f/4 IS.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I'm so excited. I won some money derping around on a slot machine in Reno and I immediately went out and picked up a tripod. The one I'd been lugging around was a Bausch & Lomb from Hong Kong, 1978. It was my dad's tripod back when he was shooting pictures, and it's solid but SO HEAVY. I actually stopped using it because I couldn't stand it, and now it's gathering dust in my mom's garage. I needed a tripod though and so I picked up a Manfrotto 055cxpro4 with a 496RC2 ball head. So far very happy. I've already gotten some use out of it, and now it stays in my car at all times.

I'm 5'8" and the tripod at maximum extension with the center column at the bottom is just right for my height. Very pleased, good buy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a go-to mid range tripod for sliders? Kessler Stealth/DSLR combo. Looking at the Sachtler ACE, but looks like a Manfrotto combo might be a cheaper and just as good solution.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

My camera is a Nikon D7000 and the heaviest lenses I have are either my Tokina 12-24 f/4 (built like a tank) or my Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 (not really very heavy). I'd like to get an iOptron Startracker or a Vixen Polarie at some point. I live in Oklahoma where it is super, super windy. Weight isn't really a concern but stability is.

I have an uncle with a set of Manfrotto 190xPROB legs that he'll give me. Would this work for my setup? I have another friend that has a Giottos MH1000 he'd be willing to sell me for about $50. Does that combo sound fine? I'm mostly concerned about wind (20mph+ gusts or so - obviously I'll be realistic and don't expect anything to stand up to 40+ mph winds we sometimes get) and load limit.

I don't mind buying used from like KEH or something if there's something better. I don't need top of the line or super fancy, just enough to get the job done. With that said, I'm not averse to spending money for something that will last forever, but obviously cheaper is better.

EDIT: both the Skytracker and the Polarie have options that come with tripods for about $200 more. I haven't found much about their quality but I'm assuming they aren't very satisfactory. If anyone has one of those and knows more about it I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Obsolete fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 28, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

20 bucks more but this would handle everything you want while still being small enough that you'll actually take it places.

http://www.amazon.com/Mefoto-A0350Q0K-Backpacker-Travel-Tripod/dp/B00BETIVUM/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1396158633&sr=1-3

Tripod Chat: Just buy a Mefoto Tripod if you are looking to buy your first semi-serious tripod

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Musket posted:

Tripod Chat: Just buy a Mefoto Tripod if you are looking to buy your first semi-serious tripod

I'm in this position -- looking to buy my first semi-serious tripod instead of using this completely random junky aluminum tripod we've had kicking around the house since before I got my D5100. I'd like something relatively lightweight and portable, that's sturdy enough to hold my D5100 (the heaviest lenses I have are probably my Sigma 10-20 wide zoom or this old Nikon 135/2.8 -- so not super heavy). I'm looking at the Mefoto Backpacker and the Road Trip. I'm leaning towards the Road Trip because it looks sturdier, taller, and designed to handle a much larger load (even if at present what I have isn't that heavy) -- for the price difference that seems worth it to me. The difference in weight between the two seems pretty minor, so that doesn't seem like much of a factor.

Anything I should be considering as alternatives in roughly the same price range? Any factors I'm not considering that would recommend the Backpacker over the Road Trip?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've got the road trip and a D5100. It's still very compact and easily fits in a backpack. If you think the size/weight might be an issue see if there's a store nearby that has them and try 'em out.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm in this position -- looking to buy my first semi-serious tripod instead of using this completely random junky aluminum tripod we've had kicking around the house since before I got my D5100. I'd like something relatively lightweight and portable, that's sturdy enough to hold my D5100 (the heaviest lenses I have are probably my Sigma 10-20 wide zoom or this old Nikon 135/2.8 -- so not super heavy). I'm looking at the Mefoto Backpacker and the Road Trip. I'm leaning towards the Road Trip because it looks sturdier, taller, and designed to handle a much larger load (even if at present what I have isn't that heavy) -- for the price difference that seems worth it to me. The difference in weight between the two seems pretty minor, so that doesn't seem like much of a factor.

Anything I should be considering as alternatives in roughly the same price range? Any factors I'm not considering that would recommend the Backpacker over the Road Trip?

The roadtrip is the one you want. Buy something you can grow into, not something you will outgrow.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Obsolete posted:

My camera is a Nikon D7000 and the heaviest lenses I have are either my Tokina 12-24 f/4 (built like a tank) or my Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 (not really very heavy). I'd like to get an iOptron Startracker or a Vixen Polarie at some point. I live in Oklahoma where it is super, super windy. Weight isn't really a concern but stability is.

I have an uncle with a set of Manfrotto 190xPROB legs that he'll give me. Would this work for my setup? I have another friend that has a Giottos MH1000 he'd be willing to sell me for about $50. Does that combo sound fine? I'm mostly concerned about wind (20mph+ gusts or so - obviously I'll be realistic and don't expect anything to stand up to 40+ mph winds we sometimes get) and load limit.

I don't mind buying used from like KEH or something if there's something better. I don't need top of the line or super fancy, just enough to get the job done. With that said, I'm not averse to spending money for something that will last forever, but obviously cheaper is better.

EDIT: both the Skytracker and the Polarie have options that come with tripods for about $200 more. I haven't found much about their quality but I'm assuming they aren't very satisfactory. If anyone has one of those and knows more about it I'd be grateful to hear about it.

If you're still looking for a startracker i'm going to put one up for sale in the buy/sell thread tonight finally after being lazy/traveling for months. :toxx:

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Despair posted:

If you're still looking for a startracker i'm going to put one up for sale in the buy/sell thread tonight finally after being lazy/traveling for months. :toxx:

I'm definitely interested. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Musket posted:

I bought one (a globetrotter) at the advice of this thread. I agree it is a pretty good travel tripod, but it wouldn't be my go to recommendation for generic "I need a tripod." It is a good, lightweight, compact tripod, but the legs are a little spindly and if you're tall you'll wish it went higher (but compact). And the twist leg system is loving weird, but maybe I will get used to it.

My big Manfrotto (I'm 6'4, and it can actually get too tall for me), I can use reasonably comfortably and it is obviously way heavier built and consequently heavier. Strapping it to a backpack looks hilarious and gets old quickly after it bangs into something. But for something that requires less than a couple miles of walking, I like it better. Also, buying used on (classic.)keh it is probably similarly priced, even with a head.

I guess it depends on what you want. I like the little Mefoto, and it is going to be great to be able to shove it in a suitcase rather than carry-on externally like I did with the Manfrotto (flight attendants looked at me weird), but for me, it is still a second tripod.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Thanks for the advice.

I've decided to get the MeFoto Roadtrip, and I'm planning to get it from Amazon because I have some gift cards there I want to use. I don't particularly care what color the tripod is, and I was thinking of just getting a black one, but then I noticed out of the eight different colors of the Roadtrip tripod that Amazon carries, they're all $189, except the Red, White, & Blue model, which is $149. I assume that the color makes absolutely no difference, and that this model functions exactly the same as all the others (except for being, to my eye at least, a little uglier). The only other difference is that this model is being sold by and shipped by a third party seller (so it's not Prime eligible), whereas all the other models are sold by 3rd party sellers and fulfilled by Amazon (or just sold directly by Amazon). I guess that's the only difference that seems like it could have any significance at all -- am I somehow worse off getting this weird color that is sold by this 3rd party seller, rather than one fulfilled from Amazon?

I'm ready to pay $190 for the tripod, but I don't particularly care about the color and $40 is $40 if in fact there's no non-aesthetic reason to avoid the red, white, & blue model. Should I have any concerns about getting the one version of the tripod that is not fulfilled by Amazon? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
So, I own this inexpensive tripod. I love it.

The other day I finally tried it with my Pentax 6x7. To my surprise, it held it great - the ball head did not droop, and it did not feel like the tripod was going to fall over in a gust of wind.

I would not have expected it to work out so well for a sub $100 tripod, which leads me to believe that there's something wrong for me to feel that way. What am I missing that makes this a bad tripod for my 6x7?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hopefully nothing. This is the tripod that Mr. Despair pointed me towards, and the one I plan of getting myself.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

So I'm looking for a new tripod, I've a Manfrotto 055 but am looking for something a little more portable and frankly now I've only got a Fuji XPro1 it seems a little overkill. What's a good lightweight travel tripod these days? Something I could conceivably throw into a backpack or at least strap to the outside.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Aargh posted:

So I'm looking for a new tripod, I've a Manfrotto 055 but am looking for something a little more portable and frankly now I've only got a Fuji XPro1 it seems a little overkill. What's a good lightweight travel tripod these days? Something I could conceivably throw into a backpack or at least strap to the outside.

http://www.amazon.com/Mefoto-A0350Q0K-Backpacker-Travel-Tripod/dp/B00BETIVUM/ :colbert::snoop:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cheers

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm using a Slik Sprint MINI-II tripod (which happily fits in my messenger bag) and a BlackRapid Metro strap with my Fujifilm X-T1 which work great on their own but is a pain in the rear end to switch between. In particular, the quick release plate on the Slik needs a flat head screwdriver or coin to tighten or loosen the screw. Plus, the center of 1/4"-20 thread on the X-T1 is about 7/16" from the edge of the battery door which means I have to take the quick release plate off to change batteries which needs some kind of tool to tighten and loosen. :bang: It's frustrating to say the least. At least fastener for the BlackRapid strap is just barely small enough that I don't have to remove it to open the battery door.

I'm definitely thinking of a new head for the tripod and maybe get some more height. A handle for the quick release plate's fastening screw is required. Any suggestions on heads or quick release plates or systems that could integrate with the strap? I don't see a lot of plates that have a big enough accessible loop for the strap to hook into. Would it be advisable to hook the strap to the foldable handle of the quick release plate's fastening screw if there was a way to prevent loosening like a rubber washer or a stop pin for the handle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Edward IV posted:

I'm using a Slik Sprint MINI-II tripod (which happily fits in my messenger bag) and a BlackRapid Metro strap with my Fujifilm X-T1 which work great on their own but is a pain in the rear end to switch between. In particular, the quick release plate on the Slik needs a flat head screwdriver or coin to tighten or loosen the screw. Plus, the center of 1/4"-20 thread on the X-T1 is about 7/16" from the edge of the battery door which means I have to take the quick release plate off to change batteries which needs some kind of tool to tighten and loosen. :bang: It's frustrating to say the least. At least fastener for the BlackRapid strap is just barely small enough that I don't have to remove it to open the battery door.

I'm definitely thinking of a new head for the tripod and maybe get some more height. A handle for the quick release plate's fastening screw is required. Any suggestions on heads or quick release plates or systems that could integrate with the strap? I don't see a lot of plates that have a big enough accessible loop for the strap to hook into. Would it be advisable to hook the strap to the foldable handle of the quick release plate's fastening screw if there was a way to prevent loosening like a rubber washer or a stop pin for the handle?

You could get a head that uses Arca-Swiss plates and then buy one of the grips for the X-T1 that doubles as an A-S plate. I have the minimal one and like it. If you don't care about having your camera mounted dead centre, you could put the BlackRapid doodad into the 1/4"-20 hole in the plate and still have space for attaching to the tripod without removing anything.

• Locked thread