Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I'm looking at the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod kit with 496 RC2 ball head on B & H Photo Video for my first tripod and a hahnel remote. Is this a good buy and why is it $184 US as opposed to the (slightly) less pro 190XB, unless I'm mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Fists Up posted:

I use this exact setup and I love it. A little heavy (but unless you go carbon fibre you dont have much of an option) but no other complaints.

Thanks bud, that extra bit of reassurance means I'll go that way then.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So my tripod arrived and it looks good, planning to use it for some landscapes sometime in the next few days. Got a couple of questions first however.

I've read that a lot of landscape photographers use mirror lock-up mode on their camera with a tripod and remote shutter release. Should I be doing the same?

Should I leave IS on my lenses on while taking shots. I've heard it can create massive blur but I've also heard the newer camera models (I'm using a 550d) can detect whether or not the camera is resting. Should it be fine with IS on?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Haggins posted:

If you're shooting at slow shutter speeds, this is a good idea. If you're shooting in low light, you pretty much have to. Remote shutter releases are good to have and don't cost too much money, however if you don't have one, you don't have to worry about running out and buying one asap. Using the timer function on the on the shutter achieves the same goal.

I've heard it doesn't matter and I was going to tell you to check the manual, but then I just checked mine for the 70-200 IS II:

Not very helpful, huh?

Cheers, mate. I neglected to mention I got a Hahnel full-blown remote shutter release with the tripod too, just because I can.

Looks like it's just practice for the image stabilization then. Seeing as I'll mostly be using it for landscapes in the foreseeable future and they are relatively static an exposure using each setting will hopefully ensure I get the right one.

• Locked thread