Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I had a 190X prob and switched to a CF induro set of legs a few things I have noticed:

-new setup is about the same weight as my old one but can hold ~50lbs
-legs are much thicker so is much more stable
- one of the best things about CF for me is that my aluminum legs got REALLY cold in the winter, my CF ones have been miles better in this regard and was never something I really thought of but is so much nicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

A5H posted:

What was up with the 190x?

I am going to assume this was directed at me. A few things really. Was my first tripod and it was decent. There where a few things that always bothered me though:

- it was pretty much useless fully extended as the legs are pretty thin and was not that stable, this was not the end of the world since I rarely ever wanted to extend them

At the time I got it I had pretty standard lenses, wide angle, a macro and a 80-200 2.8. I then started to get more into wildlife and got a 300f4, this is was still ok but then I got a super tele which I did use on these for a bit but there was no change of extending the legs at all. The final thing that got me to replace them was that I fell while carrying it over my shoulder (with me camera attached) and broke one of the leg locks which was already slightly broken. I think it was a decent tripod if you don't want to use it full extended and don't have heavy gear.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm planning to build a sling or something similar out of paracord for mine, but I just keep it stuck into the straps on my backpack for now. It's got this neat elastic strap on the shoulder strap that I can just shove the tripod into :3:

I think people have used guitar straps, my tripod came with a carrying case, I never use it but I bet you could find someone selling one.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

atomicthumbs posted:

Last week, I finally upgraded from a lovely $28 Dynex tripod that felt like it was made out of cast iron and behaved like it was made of plastic to a Manfrotto 498RC2 ballhead with a set of Promaster T325P carbon fiber legs.

It's wonderful to be able to let go of my camera without it flopping over and the tripod falling down (and to have a quick-release plate that doesn't dig into my hands/chest). Also, I can attach it to my backpack without those lovely loving leg/column brace things getting in the way, and the twist-lock is way faster than the flip locks (just grab it with both hands and give it a short turn and it opens).

I recommend the T325P legs; they're a Gitzo design knockoff, but they seem really sturdy and are only ~$240.

Questions:

• Can I safely use this head and legs in the rain?
  • I noticed that stuff (leaf bits) stuck to the grease on my ballhead. Do they clean themselves, or is it eventually going to fill up with cruft?
  • What's the deal with basalt legs?

Nothing like a triple post!

Your legs should be fine in the rain, I often submerge mine in river (up to the head at times)/the ocean (to a more limited extent) and has not been an issue assuming that dry/clean it. Most tripod legs should separate into each section (at least all mine have) and you can clean them that way. You do not want to submerge your head but it should be ok in the rain. As for your head it depends on the head the one I am using now you are not supposed to grease but I know my old one was greasy. I have a friend who said he ruined a head by greasing it so I would look at what you head manufacturer says. I would try to remove as much debris as I could by hand and leave it at that, I would guess your manual or the manufacturer has something outlining this. I think basalt is a cheaper alternative to CF but is heavier, not entirely sure.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Falco posted:

Which set of Induro legs did you pick up? I've been looking into the 190cxpro3 since it's CF, light, and will allow the center post to go horizontal. I don't know that I really need the center post to rotate to horizontal, but it sure would be handy at times. If it is really that bad in terms of stability I'm more than willing to entertain other brands, but cost is going to become an issue. I'd like to stick around the $200-$220 mark for legs if at all possible.

I'm trying to stay light in order to pack a tripod while hiking.

I got these (CT414) http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_CT414.html which are both more than 220 and overkill for hiking. In fact I am looking at getting a 2nd tripod for hiking since I dont always take my super tele with me. Overall I have been happy with the legs, my one issue is that I never use the center column and I would like to get the short one but the legs them selves have been good.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ExecuDork posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks to both of you. I haven't bought a head yet, still waiting in a feeble attempt to not wreck my budget (the analogy here is "beating a dead horse").

EDIT: talking about lack of funds is boring and depressing.
I tend to keep the quick-release plate for my Gorillapod's ballhead on my camera most of the time, and I'll probably do something similar when I have a proper tripod + head. Do other people do this? Do you own multiple quick-release plates so you can keep one on the camera, one on the big telephoto, etc.?

I always keep a plate on, my RC2 (I think) had some sharpish corners that sometimes was a pain but my new plates do not have that. That said the whole point of the plates is to make the tripod fast and easy to use.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am using a Markins Q20 and love it. My only real complaint about it is that in cold weather it is a bit sticky and that the pan knob can be tough to tighten.

If you are wanting swis arca plates (which are the best) a lot of heads you can just get a new quick release bit (not sure what it is called). Someone gave me a cheap one and I put it on a old Manfrotto head that I had.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Chroisman posted:

I've seen a lot of hiking/backpacking talk in this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the lightest possible tripod I can get is, that extends to maybe somewhere in the vicinity of 150 cm? I am basically looking for as little weight as possible because I moved towards ultralight backpacking recently, but I still sometimes need to take shots on a tripod.

I will be using a Nikon D7000 on it, and the lens I have on it at the moment is a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM so it is not very big. At the moment I have been looking at tripods like the Gitzo GT0531, GT0541 or GT1544T. As I mentioned, just looking for as low a number in the "weight" field as I possibly can.

So yeah, any recommendations or experience with the above legs are welcome, thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, I normally carry my camera on a Peak Design Capture Pro camera clip. It uses ARCA or Manfrotto quick release plates, so if I get a set of legs that aren't those brands, I can still buy those brands of head and stick them on the legs right?

Replied in the hiking thread but I use the Induro CT014 legs that I got earlier this year for hiking to replace a cheap aluminum one I got used. I use it with a markins Q10 head (which uses arca plates)(I am pretty sure, got this used). I would recommend getting a ball head that uses arca plates, specially if you already have gear that uses it. I use this setup with my D800 + 16-35f4 primarily but used it with a 300f4 as well so I don't think your setup would be an issue depending on the head you use. Compared to my non hiking tripod when extended fully the lower sections are rather thin which can impact steadiness I have found but I think that is going to be the case with most tripods when weight is the primary factor. Also consider the size it folds up to, a 4 section is going to collapse smaller which can be a benefit. Send me a PM or I will reply in here if you have any specific questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Look on Craigslist or your local equivalent if budget is a big concern. Unlike other photo gear tripods/heads do not really wear out the same as lenses/bodies. I would rather take an older used model instead of a new current model. A cheap tripod or head not only risks your gear but you will get frustrated and likely end up buying something better in the long run (or not using it). I have 2 Induro CF tripods with Markins heads which I have been happy with and while cheaper than some other options out there are still not cheap persay. One of the Markins heads I was able to get for an absolute steal from CL because on of the knobs (rotation which I hardly ever use) was bent (but still works fine).

• Locked thread