Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms

Xandu posted:

It's been a front page story in the NYT every day for over a week. Top US reporters (Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, Nick Kristof, etc) have all been reporting on it.

Some people just don't pay attention to the rest of the world.

I think this point is truest to the American coverage of the protests. NPR, for example, discusses it on the hour every hour. It is some (hell, you could argue most) peoples' prerogatives to learn as much or as little as they would like about the world. I guess you can say it's an American thing if you would like but I do not know if that would be necessarily true for all 310 million people that live here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

"Wait, Muslims? There aren't any Muslims in Egypt."
"No, there definitely are. It's a pretty Muslim country."
"But what about, y'know, Osiris and stuff?"

Is that better or worse than going on about the Muslim Brotherhood establishing a theocracy?

I'd say better. Unless the person who said it is actually a racist or something, the statement itself is genuine ignorance rather than what we usually mean when we say "ignorant" which is "dumb and racist".

I actually think someone honestly believing the Egyptian gods are still widely worshipped in Egypt today is so dumb it's sort of cute. :3:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I've heard a pretty wide spectrum of things about the Middle East crisis from people I know IRL, from total ignorance to FOX News talking points to an active, intelligent understanding of the crisis. The thing is, the information is there for anyone that wants to pursue it, it's a question of desire to be informed more than ability. A lot of people in the first group just don't want to know (and most of the people in the second only want to know insofar as it allows them a better grasp of what talking points to give).

Geek Icon
May 8, 2006
Hello.

Narmi posted:

Regarding Bahrain, is the government still trying to place the blame on "violent protesters" for the more serious injuries and deaths? Nobody seems to be buying it.

NYT source

I'm not surprised at all. The royal family will want the country to mourn the loss of their family members for days, but hey killing innocent women and children of other, "lesser" families is a-okay.
Ugh, they're all the same. In a few days, the other GCC leaders will be holding a council in Bahrain to show their support for the almighty, self-appointed "God" of Bahrain. Even worse is that the local newspapers in neighboring countries, such as the UAE, is not even reporting on the bullshit violence used by the Bahrain police/military on peaceful protesters.

gently caress these people. They are Muslim only in name, and I will see them in hell.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmmm what an interesting tweet about Iran

quote:

@iranproxy
iran proxy
Leader.ir is down ;-) :D MA HASTIM. #iranelection

There's also reports from the same source that phishing emails have been going out to Green Party members all day, and not to open any emails that aren't from trusted sources.

Edit: A rock fight in Bahrain; now where have we seen rock fights during protests before...

World News Australia says that the Saudis will intervene before allowing a regime change in Bahrain:

quote:

audi intervention possible

Analyst Ibrahim al-Khayyat believes that the "strong tribal alliance" among Gulf states could prompt a "Saudi military intervention" to help the Bahraini monarchy.

Khayyat said fear of instability in Bahrain is not limited to Gulf states, and that the United States will not accept undermining the regime in Bahrain, home of the US Navy's Fifth Fleet.

London-based analyst Abdulwahab Badrakhan said "any change in a Gulf state will encourage change in others which is not acceptable to regimes amid a global and Arab environment conducive to change."

"Gulf monarchies feel endangered by any protest demanding a change of regime or even a constitutional change because the regional situation, especially the standoff with Iran, will justify not bowing to demands," he said.

Badrakhan said Gulf states will "go too far to support the regime in Bahrain, the weak point in the region," because of its Shiite majority and limited resources.

Analysts believe the predominance of Shiites in the protests reduces their chance of achieving their goals.

"Shiites in Bahrain should not place their legitimate demands within a sectarian framework but in a national formula ... as this can take out (a perceived) Iranian factor in the protests," Dakheel said.

Although the Bahraini protests can affect Shiites in the neighbouring oil-rich Eastern province of Saudi Arabia "it will not affect the stability of the Saudi political system," he said.

The director of the Far East and Gulf Military Analysis, Riyadh Qahwaji, said the sectarian factor does not favour the protests in Bahrain, adding that the army, which is loyal to the regime, is capable of facing demonstrators.

"The sectarian factor will not aid the Bahraini protests because they are seen from the Iranian angle," Qahwaji said.

He said the Sunni-dominated Bahraini army is capable of facing the protests, unlike the case of Egypt and Tunisia, but OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia must step in in to provide substantial aid to Manama.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1486602/Saudis-'won't-let-Bahrain-fall'?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This could get mighty ugly.

Apology fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 18, 2011

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The thing that gets me is how similarly all these revolution stories are playing out. It's like the various dictators never spent their period in power figuring out a less stupid way of attempting to retain control in the face of a discontented populace.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Most of my extended family seem a bit unwilling to talk about it - since it involves Muslims doing something they agree with (they're torn between your standard racism and the very extreme anti-authoritarian sentiment your average older Russian immigrant has in spades).

My brother-in-law was something of an exception.

Speaking of Russia, though, I really don't think the protests will spread that far north. There's a terrorist-scare happening there right now - and, poo poo, when it comes to the middle-east, Muslims, or brown people in general, your average Russian doesn't sound very different from your average Fox viewer.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009
It's not down, at least not for me. Leader.ir that is.

And yeah, I don't see the Saudis letting Bahrain go anywhere; they'd be afraid of Iran moving revolutionary assistance through Bahrain into the Eastern Province. This could get interesting.

QuentinCompson fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

The thing that gets me is how similarly all these revolution stories are playing out. It's like the various dictators never spent their period in power figuring out a less stupid way of attempting to retain control in the face of a discontented populace.

Dictators aren't very smart. They think that once they have power it will last forever and they can do whatever they want.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Apology posted:

This could get mighty ugly.

How could that not end well for them? "People, I'm sure some of you have heard of a instability happening with our neighbors as people looking for freedom and democratic reform face off against their authoritative dictator. But don't worry, I, your authoritative dictator, have sent your sons and brothers to destroy those peaceful protesters."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I don't want to sound like one of those technophile assholes - but it really is because of the spread of technology. The dictators are using old methods that just don't work with all these new forms communication around. All of a sudden, people are talking to each-other. They find out that a lot of people feel the same way they do. They find out about other places where people in a similar situation did something about it. They can plan a protest - and be pretty drat sure that, when they show up, there will be far too many people there to simply arrest.

A dictator counts on ignorance. People let themselves be oppressed only when they think there's nothing they can do about it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

tetsul posted:

How could that not end well for them? "People, I'm sure some of you have heard of a instability happening with our neighbors as people looking for freedom and democratic reform face off against their authoritative dictator. But don't worry, I, your authoritative dictator, have sent your sons and brothers to destroy those peaceful protesters."

The way it ends "well" is by cowing them through violence. "Well" is in quotation marks for obvious reasons: it's a horrendous outcome for everyone else and only a short-term "win" for the regime.

The thing is, this isn't sending "the people's" sons and daughters against them. By most accounts, this is a revolt dominated by Bahrain's 70% Shia majority and the military is mostly composed by Bahrain's 30% Sunni minority protecting the interests of Bahrain's Sunni ruling elite. The military knows that their social group would really lose out in a successful revolution and the government can play up the whole "sectarian strife" thing to keep them motivated: "These aren't your brothers and sisters you're fighting, they're schismatic heretics" etc. (Of course, there's only so much you can play that card against the overwhelming supermajority of your country)

EDIT: Screwed up the numbers. Bahrain is apparently close to 15% non-Muslim, and something like 25% Sunni and 60% Shia.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 18, 2011

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Patter Song posted:

The way it ends "well" is by cowing them through violence. "Well" is in quotation marks for obvious reasons: it's a horrendous outcome for everyone else and only a short-term "win" for the regime.

The thing is, this isn't sending "the people's" sons and daughters against them. By most accounts, this is a revolt dominated by Bahrain's 70% Shia majority and the military is mostly composed by Bahrain's 30% Sunni minority protecting the interests of Bahrain's Sunni ruling elite. The military knows that their social group would really lose out in a successful revolution and the government can play up the whole "sectarian strife" thing to keep them motivated: "These aren't your brothers and sisters you're fighting, they're schismatic heretics" etc. (Of course, there's only so much you can play that card against the overwhelming supermajority of your country)

What I ment was Saudi Arabia, whose people can see just as well as anyone what's happening in Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, etc, have their leaders wander off to another country and out and out show they are as much the protest-crushing dictatorial assholes that people in other countries are trying to overthrow.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I don't want to sound like one of those technophile assholes - but it really is because of the spread of technology. The dictators are using old methods that just don't work with all these new forms communication around. All of a sudden, people are talking to each-other. They find out that a lot of people feel the same way they do. They find out about other places where people in a similar situation did something about it. They can plan a protest - and be pretty drat sure that, when they show up, there will be far too many people there to simply arrest.

A dictator counts on ignorance. People let themselves be oppressed only when they think there's nothing they can do about it.

It's more then just organizing quickly. If everyone has technology capable of recording videos and pictures of protests then it's impossible for the government to turn around and go "HEY GUYS THEY WERE JUST SOME VIOLENT TERRORISTS GO BACK TO YOUR BUSINESS!"

That is the true power of the technological changes. You can't fool people and force them with violence as easily as before now. These regimes are treating these protests like back in the old days and all it's leading to is it blowing up in their face.

When everyone is able to send a quick tweet out saying whats going on and giving each other support it's a lot harder to break a group like that.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Preliminary reports that the people in Iraq are rising too:

quote:

@husambajis
Husám Bajis
Clashes broke out in Sulaimaniya in Iraqi #Kurdistan #Iraq

So much for the $774,838,900,000 and counting money that the US spent establishing a puppet democracy there, eh? YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!!!

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Apology posted:

So much for the $774,838,900,000 and counting money that the US spent establishing a puppet democracy there, eh? YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!!!

Nothing would please me more than the US getting it's rear end and it's army of installed dictators/puppet regimes handed to it by a bunch of angry youths on Facebook and Twitter.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Apology posted:

Um, did you just quote costofwar.com? Because they said the wars cost over 1 quadrillion dollars since 2001. There's no possible way that could be correct. So could someone qualify or clarify this figure?

EDIT: My bad, I thought that was 775 trillion, not 775 billion.

Lustful Man Hugs fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 18, 2011

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I just wanted to say thanks for making this thread op. I was actually thinking about how we needed one, but I wouldn't be able to put together a good first post.

Man, I'm afraid things are really gonna get bad in some of these places, especially if there are reports of people getting blasted already. It's gonna loving suck balls if any of these movements fail, because then it's almost as if that sacrifice was for nothing.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

ChaosSamusX posted:

Um, did you just quote costofwar.com? Because they said the wars cost over 1 quadrillion dollars since 2001. There's no possible way that could be correct. So could someone qualify or clarify this figure?

NY Times had the cost of Iraq at $1.2 trillion in 2007 and at $3 trillion as of September 2009.

I knew it was huge, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that number. There's just so many more things that could be done with that money that are a hundred times better than what it's being used for right now.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Is the Al Jazeera feed not working for anyone else right now? Is it just me?

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ChaosSamusX posted:

Yeah, and it's just the figure for the cost of the Iraq war, not the combined cost of all US wars, so it's lower. I did get the number from costofwar.com.

Here's a video on NYTimes showing the police crackdown on Pearl Square in Bahrain. Bonus really cool hookahs, but sorry about the ads.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/02/17/world/1248069644264/a-forceful-crackdown-on-protesters.html?ref=middleeast

Here's another video showing Libyan dead in the morgue, it's graphic, so be warned. It's still not as gross as the guy with his head blown apart, but still, bloody dead bodies:

:nms: http://www.libyafeb17.com/?p=511 :nms:

Edit: Al Jazeera feed is down for me as well.

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008

Aqua Bear posted:

Is the Al Jazeera feed not working for anyone else right now? Is it just me?

It's not working for me either. And I couldn't get the feed on their YouTube channel.

It works here:
http://www.livestation.com/channels/3-al-jazeera-english-english

Mickey Mental fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 18, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Dieting Hippo posted:

Hey, did you hear about the protests in the capital of Bahrain?

"Manama? Nah."

Please tell me someone else got this?
Do doooo do-doo-do.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
I think Bahrain is getting ugly enough for the US to start pulling strings publicly with little or no blowback. I don't know what our ties to them are, and thus what we could/would do, but I hope the administration does something to stop this from turning into a total bloodbath.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I Want this as the Tear Flag of yemen:

In Arab Internet news:

a bahraini doctor told me that the hospital he lived in yesterday was like a jungle, hundreds of people shouting and screaming they even were inside the Operating Rooms taking pictures with their mobiles while people were getting treated.

The general consensus is that no way the revolution in bahrain will be successful for two reasons:

-- The people Revolting have not shown themselves to representative of both sects, leading people to think that this is purely a Sectarian Issue.

-- Saudi Arabia is beyond loving livid about it, according to a professor, there is one iron and blood rule that ties the GCC (gulf cooperation council) together, despite all the media and economic dick waving between they must NEVER EVER evolve politically ahead of each other and that the shia must NEVER EVER take control, when the emir of qatar was asked why he doesnt make his country a democracy, he just flat out said: I cant, no gulf country is allowed to politically develop ahead of each other.

Some people are whispering that if it really came down to it Saudi (or even America to protect the 5th fleet) would militarily rescue the Bahraini leadership, it's a small country so it's definitely within the Saudi armed forces means.

Oh and a famous egyptian journalist on al arabiya said on air and live that his next show will be the effects the egypitan revolution will have on saudi arabia, as a direct challenge to show whether al arabiya is an independent channel or not.

Al arabiya is owned by Saudi.

He was fired that evening.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Intel5 posted:

I think Bahrain is getting ugly enough for the US to start pulling strings publicly with little or no blowback. I don't know what our ties to them are, and thus what we could/would do, but I hope the administration does something to stop this from turning into a total bloodbath.

The US has a huge naval base in Bahrain, so it's in America's best interest that things stay the same rather than the protests being successful. Same reason why the US didn't pitch in to help the Egyptian protesters, really.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I came across this nice map locating where most of the major events are throughout the region. It probably hasn't gotten everything but I haven't come across a better one yet.

google map from SBS news

EDIT: Unless someone has seen a better one, then something like this might be useful in the OP.

Nahdrav
Apr 15, 2007

"Never seen the sun shine brighter
And it feels like me, on a good day"
I must say, coming from the Middle East and having many close friends in Bahrain im still shocked at the energy of the protests in Bahrain. I mean ,barring the UAE, it was probably one of the most well off nations in the region; a combination of a strong middle class, solid economy,relatively low crime rates meant that it was probably one of the last countries I ever expected be filled with protestors.

I really do hope that things reach a peaceful accord sometime soon, I mean, as great as it would be if GCC Nations got democracy, Al-Saqr has a pretty valid point; this isn't Egypt 2.0 . Bahrain has the full might of Saudi Arabia behind its ruling class, thats a rather terrifying fact that protestors are ,unfortunately, likely to notice in the coming days.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quadratic posted:

Gorbachev thinks it may happen. http://on.wsj.com/gIKwhY

I'm sure as hell not an expert, but Arab countries in the middle east have a long shared history, religious and lingual homogeneity, similarities involving societal pressures fueling the revolution, even strains of pan-Arabism reinforcing a sense of "if it could happen there, it should happen here." Russia seems to be pretty disconnected from all that.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Shageletic posted:

I'm sure as hell not an expert, but Arab countries in the middle east have a long shared history, religious and lingual homogeneity, similarities involving societal pressures fueling the revolution, even strains of pan-Arabism reinforcing a sense of "if it could happen there, it should happen here." Russia seems to be pretty disconnected from all that.
It's definitely a new era of pan-Arabism, that's for certain. 1967 blew it away, but Tunisia and moreso Egypt brought it back.

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the goal with these protests specifically democracy or do they just want change in general?

I have a strange mix of happiness that people are protesting against their corrupt governments and sadness that people are dying. Some of these pictures are very disturbing.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Al-Saqr posted:

Thank you (I assume it's you) for making this..., peeking at the EXIF data it says it's 1024x768, ?!? If only I had a tablet I'd be able to contribute in so many amazing threads.
If I were given the details on the pre-requisites of an image in order to be an acceptable emoticon, I would (try to) do this.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 18, 2011

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Toadofsky posted:

Is the goal with these protests specifically democracy or do they just want change in general?

I have a strange mix of happiness that people are protesting against their corrupt governments and sadness that people are dying. Some of these pictures are very disturbing.

They want both, but it's a bit more complex than that. Many protesters have specific demands that would have to be carried out for there to be a true democracy and change, and they're protesting to have all of these met.

From what I've seen, their primary goal is to remove the dictator/regime that is oppressing them. Following that, they have a list of demands, including fair representation in the government, free and fair elections, human rights, better working conditions, economic reforms, etc. So while they may only chant "down with X," that's more of a rallying cry/the thing at the top of their list.

For example, in Egypt they wanted Mubarak to step down and the government dissolved since they were all viewed as corrupt, though Mubarak was the one they focused on. However, they also wanted constitutional reforms since Mubarak had more or less bastardized the constitution to eliminate opposition and so he could stay in power. They also wanted the emergency law, which had been in place since Sadat was assassinated, lifted, as it gave the police pretty much unlimited powers (I believe another country, possibly Algeria, has a similar emergency law in place that the government has promised to lift following mass protests). Even after Mubarak left, some lots of people stayed in Tahrir square to make sure the military didn't pull a fast one on them. Also a lot of workers were/are on strike, demanding better working conditions and pay.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 18, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Guardian has a Live Blog up for today:

quote:

Good morning. Governments around the Middle East are bracing themselves for protests and violence today as the unrest in the region continues to spread.

Bahrain
In Bahrain this morning many thousands of mourners called for the downfall of the monarchy as they began burying the dead after an assault on protesters at Manama's Pearl roundabout on Thursday night which left five dead. Today's calls for the king to go were seen as an escalation of demonstrators' demands; the uprising began with calls for a weakening of the Sunni monarchy's hold on top government posts and measures to address discrimination against the Shia majority. Two funerals have taken place, with one more to go this morning – after which protesters plan to march to Pearl roundabout, something that may cause a confrontation with police and security forces.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/18/bahrain-mourners-call-downnfall-monarchy

Libya
In Libya, soldiers were deployed on to the streets of Benghazi, after thousands took to the streets overnight to protest about security forces killing an estimated 24 demonstrators. The city was quiet this morning, but a witness reported shooting last night and the BBC said 10 people had been killed. Funerals are expected today that could act as a catalyst for further protests. Pro-government supporters were also out on the streets this morning. Crucially, there was little sign of anti-government protest in Tripoli, the capital. Ian Black has more on yesterday's protests here. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/17/libya-day-of-rage-unrest

Egypt
Thousands of Egyptians gathered for prayers this morning and a planned victory march through Cairo's Tahrir Square, the site of the protests that led to the fall of the president, Hosni Mubarak, a week ago today. The demonstrations will also act as a warning to the army – which took power after Mubarak stepped down – that protesters want to take a more active role in the country's transition to democracy.

Yemen
New protests are also expected today in Sana'a, Yemen's capital. Yesterday saw a sixth day of clashes between pro-democracy protesters and government loyalists in the country. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/feb/17/yemen-protests-in-pictures

Iraq
About 1,000 protesters in Basra, the southern Iraqi city, are demonstrating to demand better services from the government, jobs and improved pensions. They warned that today's protest would be peaceful, but others in the future might not be. At least five people have been killed at protests throughout the country this week.

Our correspondents throughout the region and Middle East experts and reporters in London will be keeping you updated throughout the day.

AJE also has a Live Blog

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Reveilled posted:

I can't help but wonder if Egypt might start actively formenting revolution in other nations once the country is back on its feet. If/when a new civilian reigime led by the opposition groups comes to power, it's going to be pretty unpopular amongst the kings and dictators of the rest of the Arab-Iranian world, especially if the unrest continues for a prolonged period. If that happens, active support for the protestors in other nations would be in Egypt's national interest.

That would be ignoring the fact that Egypt never was popular with the other Arab nations after Sadat made peace with Israel and became America's allies. Libya, Syria and Palestinians don't give a gently caress if Hosni is in power, Sadat and Mubarak were traitors to them. They only care if Egypt is willing to rattle sabers with Israel once more.

It's not very likely that any sane Egyptian government would actively try to stir trouble in the area, as it would likely backfire. It's difficult to spread peaceful revolution into police states like Syria, compared to how easy it is to fund terrorist cells in unstable democracies like Iraq.

DrinkMoreBeer
Jan 23, 2006

by toby

Shanakin posted:

I came across this nice map locating where most of the major events are throughout the region. It probably hasn't gotten everything but I haven't come across a better one yet.

google map from SBS news

I feel oddly compelled to play Civilisation after looking at that map.

Thank gently caress Mubarak is gone. I was in Egypt at the last election 5 years ago and asking people about it. They were all openly hostile to Mubarak and said their votes meant nothing as he'd win anyway.

Interesting the talk about the Muslim Brotherhood. For the people I got onto the subject of the outlawed party with, they were disliked as radical Islamists. Now it seems the media are eating up the Brotherhoods statements they're not nutjobs at all. They're all about the people and peace amongst all religions apparently.

What a load of bullshit. I doubt anyone in Egypt is fooled by it. I have high hopes that they'll vote, democratically, a good civilian PM in.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The BBC also has a Live Blog today. Currently there's a massive gathering in Tahrir Square in Egypt, celebrating their victory.

Things are also getting pretty heated in Libya:

quote:

Anti-Gaddafi demonstrators have taken over several cities in eastern Libya but have suffered scores of deaths, according to exiled opposition groups in London.

Government troops have withdrawn from al-Bayda, the scene of earlier confrontations, and protesters have blocked the runway to prevent military reinforcements arriving, the National Front for the Salvation of Libya maintains.

Mohamad Ali Abdalla, the deputy director of the NFSL, said:

quote:

I was told that there were 13 deaths in the city of al-Bayda alone last night and six more in Benghazi.

In al-Bayda, the city has been taken over and protesters are dismantling the runway to stop any military planes landing.

In total, there have been 30 deaths in Benghazi since demonstrations began on January 15th. Some of those who died were injured citizens who had been taken to al-Jala hospital in Benghazi.

Members of the revolutionary committee were shooting the injured who were brought in. I was told this by a nurse in al-Jala Hospital.

The government's revolutionary committee headquarters have been captured in other places, the FNSL claimed. In Ajdabiya, in north-eastern Libya, demonstrations were in charge of the city.

There have been few demonstrations further west nearer to the capital, Tripoli. In the western mountains, nearer to Tunisia, protesters have also been out on the streets.

Several opposition sites have reported that Gaddafi's regime has been relying on French-speaking soldiers, or "mercenaries" drawn from neighbouring Chad to crack down on the demonstrations

This is also a very good video:

quote:

Al-Jazeera's live blog features video footage on YouTube showing protesters in the city of Tubruq tearing down a "green book" monument on Thursday. The green book was written by Muammar Gaddafi, outlining his political philosophy.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 18, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Summary of today's events so far from the Guardian

quote:

• Bahrain: After the funerals of protesters killed in recent violence, demonstrators were expected to head back to Manama's Pearl roundabout. Tens of thousands turned out for the funeral of Mahmood abu Taki see 10.30am). The protesters' demands seem to be getting more radical, with calls for the monarchy to be removed (see 11.33am).

• Egypt: An estimated 1 million people have gathered in Tahrir Square in an event celebrating the fall of Hosni Mubarak and putting pressure on the army to include demonstrators in the country's transition to democracy (see 12.21pm). Yusuf al-Qaradawi, a controversial cleric, gave a strikingly non-sectarian speech.

• Libya: Reports claim up to 50 people have been killed in anti-government protests in the east of the country – but it is very hard to verify information from Libya. Reports claim al-Bayda has been taken over by anti-government protesters. But there was little sign of anti-Gaddafi feeling in Tripoli, where the Libyan leader paraded among crowds of supporters (see 12.17pm).

• Yemen: Crowds are demonstrating against Ali Abdullah Saleh, the president, in the capital, Sana'a, and elsewhere. The biggest demonstration – tens of thousands of people – was in Taiz, where reports said eight people had been wounded by a hand grenade (see 12.12pm).

• Jordan: Eight people have been injured in Amman in clashes between pro- and anti-government demonstrators (see 12.28pm).

• Iran: There were calls for the execution of opposition leaders (see 12.03pm).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Update from me:
Bahrain
In the last hour tear gas has been fired at marchers in the capital, and there's reports of gunfire and injured protesters at Pearl Square.

"Another protest is right now being held outside the Salmaniya hospital by the doctors, expressing shock and demanding answers for attack on both protesters and medics and answers why doctors and ambulances were prevented from reaching wounded."

There's also the suggestion that the pro-government and pro-king counter-protesters are by mostly foreigners.

Libya
Tripoli seems quiet, but "Benghazi, Libya's second city, appears to be the scene of a trial of strength between protesters and Gaddafi loyalists. Lawyers and other pro-democracy supporters have rallied outside the main courthouse. One of the president's sons, Saddi, is said to be trapped in the city."

[edit]The police in Bahrain are now firing tear gas inside the hospital.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
All these people still out there despite having some of the most threatening dictators in the world willing to attack them... this whole series of events is something truly once in a lifetime.

• Locked thread