Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Petey posted:

I know we were all transfixed by that trainwreck but did anyone ever find a bigger version of this pic?

I found the source, but I haven't been able to find a full-resolution version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
A "sacred march" is coming. I expect many more dead today. :(

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Monday Averted posted:

Gaddafi doing the horny parrot sway would be a hell of an avatar, actually.

If someone's bored enough to make me one, it will be done. I'm thinking of using "And for the next 2 hours, Gaddafi will read to you a short haiku he just made about rats and hallucinogens"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gaddafi missed his true calling in life. He should've been a newscaster of some sort.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

And while Gaddafi was speaking,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/world/middleeast/23bahrain.html?_r=1&hp posted:

MANAMA, Bahrain — More than 100,000 protesters poured into the central Pearl Square here on Tuesday in an unbroken stream stretching back for miles along a central highway in the biggest antigovernment demonstration yet in this tiny Persian Gulf kingdom.

The protesters, mostly members of the Shiite majority, marched along the eastbound side of Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman Highway in a wide, unbroken column of red and white, the country’s colors. Men of all ages walked with women and children waving flags and calling for an end to the authoritarian government of King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa.

In a nation of only a half a million citizens, the sheer size of the gathering was astonishing. The protest, organized by the Shiite opposition parties, began in the central Bahrain Mall, two miles from the square and seemed to fill the entire length of the highway between the two points.

Security forces were nowhere to be seen along the demonstration route. The Ministry of the Interior, which has been regularly providing updates on the situation in the capital via its Twitter feed, issued a terse acknowledgment of the protest: “Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman towards Manama is now closed.”

The protesters streaming into the square on Tuesday joined thousands of others — among them teachers, lawyers and engineers — who have camped out in order to occupy the area after the military pulled out following a deadly crackdown last week. The new arrivals were likely to overflow into the area surrounding the square.

With the army removed, and the police withdrawn under intense pressure from the United States, the Shiite opposition has acted as if it were in a position of strength.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Is Libyan State TV running old footage of a pro-Gaddafi rally? I really doubt that's live.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I felt like trying my hand at a political drawing so I sketched this up quick.

Any thoughts? I might do more on tunisia and egypt soon.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

Wow. When 1/5th of your country's entire population is angry enough to take to the streets, it's really time for you get the hell out of there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wow. When 1/5th of your country's entire population is angry enough to take to the streets, it's really time for you get the hell out of there.

And when 1/5th of your country is willing to die to achieve that, as in Libya, then it's really time to kill yourself.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I felt like trying my hand at a political drawing so I sketched this up quick.

Any thoughts? I might do more on tunisia and egypt soon.

I like the artstyle, but I really don't know what's going on here.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Pajser posted:

So where are his hot amazon bodyguards and why haven't any of them castrated the fucker, yet?
Who said anything about hot? The only ones I've seen so far have been buttertrolls

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Was that a horse, just now?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I like the artstyle, but I really don't know what's going on here.

Looks like the protester is doing that thing where the stabee pulls the weapon into themselves to get at the stabber?

It looks nice, but I don't get what it has to do with the actual situation, though.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Note the colours. The protester is Libya. He's stabbing Libya.

Edit: Wait no the red and the green are the wrong way around.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Looks like the protester is doing that thing where the stabee pulls the weapon into themselves to get at the stabber?

It looks nice, but I don't get what it has to do with the actual situation, though.

That makes sense, I think it's symbolic of the Libyan people giving up their lives to protest against Gadaffi's tyranny.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Xandu posted:

And when 1/5th of your country is willing to die to achieve that, as in Libya, then it's really time to kill yourself.

When a fifth of the country is coming after you, you're going to end up impaled Cannibal Holocaust style.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Worth pointing out that Bahrain has half a million citizens, but the number of people in the country is roughly twice that.

100k is still almost unfathomable, though.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Regarded the so called "African Mercenaries" thing in Libya I found an interesting analysis on it http://tomathon.com/mphp/2011/02/libyas-african-mercenary-problem/

I fear for all those migrant workers and emigrants on their way to Europe who might get lynched just because of the colour of their skin.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Some of these """pro-Gaddafi"""-protesters seem really uninterested. Even the ones that are smiling look like they would rather be doing something else.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It's pretty funny how on a day when Libya is attacking it's own citizens with weapons Europe provided, the UK Prime Minister is on a tour of the Middle East trying to drum up arms sales with other undemocratic countries.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xandu posted:

I thought that the Bahrain protests might not go anywhere, but this is such a gigantic amount of people given the tiny population of the country. Goddamn. Hopefully things don't go as bad in Bahrain as they did in Libya for the protesters and they oust their government with minimal casualties.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Gravy Jones posted:

He's actually not insane and it's all just a big distraction to keep the world's eyes on him while.... well some kind of evil James Bond villain scheme I guess. Maybe deploying a giant plane crushing fist.

Either way, we're all falling for it.

This is what I was thinking. Until recently, he's been a pretty good/big game player and as a recognized terrorist AND country ruler, managed to stay alive and in power while making money for a pretty long time. I'm amazed by this alone. I'm sure everyone has their breaking point where they just check out and roll down to crazy town, but I would think someone living his life, that threshold would have to be far greater than I can even imagine. I feel like it's important to not underestimate him and maybe he's putting the focus on him so we stop focusing on what we should be watching. In summation I've filed his speech into my mental file of 1.) Crazy or 2.) Wants us to think he's crazy. That fist/plane statue is so hardcore.

I also think it's both hilarious and sad the entire world is watching him come completely unglued without intervening. I think the US gov't is rolling with this strategy: "Nice speech Crazypants. This should work itself out soon....I hope."

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Why are they not addressing the obvious?

EDIT gently caress the White House.

wildmamboqueen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 22, 2011

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I shouldn't have switched over to that US State Dept. briefing. "Um, we are still trying to find out exactly what's going on over there...I think some of our people tried to contact the Libyan government over the weekend..."

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

lil sartre posted:

Regarded the so called "African Mercenaries" thing in Libya I found an interesting analysis on it http://tomathon.com/mphp/2011/02/libyas-african-mercenary-problem/

I fear for all those migrant workers and emigrants on their way to Europe who might get lynched just because of the colour of their skin.

This is interesting stuff, thanks

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Noreaus posted:

I shouldn't have switched over to that US State Dept. briefing. "Um, we are still trying to find out exactly what's going on over there...I think some of our people tried to contact the Libyan government over the weekend..."

This kind of stuff shouldn't surprise me any more but what the hell?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
For anyone who missed the live :catdrugs:
Gaddafi on State TV - Part I 15 mins
Part II 10 mins
Part III 6 mins

edit: trying to put the rest of the speech pieces together unless someone has a better link

EDIT 2: other parts
Part IV 8 mins
Part V 12 mins

whoflungpoop fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 22, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seems like the Egyptian cabinet reshuffle hasn't gone down well, more protests planned for Friday.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lil sartre posted:

What a terrible situation. There are definitely African mercenaries, but there are a lot of Libyan citizens who also happen to be black. It's awful to think they're just as fearful of reprisals from Gadaffi, as they are of wanton abuse from an angry and irrational population.

I'm hoping this situation would have ended sooner, but with the country basically cut in half, things do not appear to be ending any time soon. Gadaffi needs to be ended, now.

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009
This speech is most mindbending series of words I have ever witnessed. Good god...

I wonder what will happen next, have som bad bad feelings about the upcoming days.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Nonsense posted:

What a terrible situation. There are definitely African mercenaries, but there are a lot of Libyan citizens who also happen to be black. It's awful to think they're just as fearful of reprisals from Gadaffi, as they are of wanton abuse from an angry and irrational population.
If it makes you feel better, most of the videos from Libya are showing Black Libyans (and I presume, migrant workers as well) as part of the protests, without any visible friction between them and the Arab Libyans.

Evidently, it's become an Egypt-type rising where the different cultural groups have put aside their differences because their leader is just that much of a cockmongler.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 22, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

whoflungpoop posted:

For anyone who missed the live :catdrugs:
Gaddafi on State TV - Part I Part II Part III

This is far from all of it though. The whole thing was at least an hour. Does anyone know the real total time or is it still going?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Libyan naval vessel near Malta wants to defect.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Namarrgon posted:

This is far from all of it though. The whole thing was at least an hour. Does anyone know the real total time or is it still going?
Sorry, I'll update that post as I'm watching unless someone has a more coherent link. There's many more parts to this series of uploads, but 4 and 5 are news commentary and then later parts are pieces of the speech from other news feeds. I'm still trying to figure out if the later parts are just separate captures or other pieces of the speech and what order the pieces go in.

Then again, I'm not sure if Gaddafi knows either v:downs:v

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Does anybody know anything about Malta, what would be their procedure for dealing with Libyan forces using their various weapon-craft to defect? Like the pilots who landed in Malta seeking asylum, I know they were detained, but what else occurs?

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

Patter Song posted:

Libyan naval vessel near Malta wants to defect.

The politics revolving around these defections will be pretty fascinating.

This seems to be a special situation in almost every way.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The defectors will probably be able to return when the revolt is successful.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

zalderach posted:

If the revolt is successful. I really think CQ's not going anywhere, and if he's forced out, he's going to scorch earth. I hope I'm wrong.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

zalderach posted:

And celebrated as national heroes. To defy an unjust regime and seek assistance for the abhorrent treatment of the Libyan people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frackmire
Jan 26, 2010

WHY DO THEY
HATE US WHEN
WE'RE SO GOOD?
There is no way his government will survive if officers are defecting with multimillion dollar military equipment. This is not just some grunts refusing to fire on protesters, 2 fighters jets and a military vessel defecting is a huge blow to him. Plus the hilarious gently caress you from Libyan diplomats abroad.

• Locked thread