Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I had originally heard that they were being evacuated or otherwise fleeing the consulate in a car that was hit by an RPG, but CNN is reporting that what actually happened was an RPG set the the building on fire and they succumbed to smoke inhalation trying to reach the roof.

That seems less awful, at least. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sargs
Aug 15, 2001

Poyekhali!
I was stunned and greatly saddened to hear of Vilerat's death. He was a reasonable mod and reasonable man in the best sense; even when you didn't agree with his stance, it was a reasoned one.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

SpaceMost posted:

I had originally heard that they were being evacuated or otherwise fleeing the consulate in a car that was hit by an RPG, but CNN is reporting that what actually happened was an RPG set the the building on fire and they succumbed to smoke inhalation trying to reach the roof.

That seems less awful, at least. :smith:

Choking to death doesn't sound less awful than being blown up.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here's a State Department video of the ambassador for his work in Libya:

http://youtu.be/WGk4vUcGzY0

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

whydirt posted:

Here's a State Department video of the ambassador for his work in Libya:

http://youtu.be/WGk4vUcGzY0

The comment section's looking amazing already

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cephalocidal posted:

Choking to death doesn't sound less awful than being blown up.

Hell, if anything it's even worse. You'd never see the RPG coming, and it'd be quick. I can't possibly imagine the terror of being trapped in a burning building.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
To cross-post a little from the Dutch election thread, where people are too busy with the poll results to think about this stuff:

If you guys are already doing goon detective work about this Becile guy, could anyone let me know if you happen to figure out how the Dutch are connected to this? Found this on the BBC Middle East liveblog and it's making me a bit nervous:

Egyptian blogger Zeinobia posted:

Strangely and amazingly I found out that Hamazmoon group is calling for another huge protest at the embassy of Netherlands demanding its closure because the Dutch government is producing an insult film against Islam!

The Smithsonian says that it has something to do with the director being compared to the Dutch director Theo van Gogh, and Dutch diplomats have issued statements denying any connection between the Netherlands and the film. (Mr. Van Gogh was assassinated in 2004 for making anti-Islam film.) I'm pretty sure it's just some confusion, but I would hate for a repeat of this nonsensical violence.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!
I didn't like Vile Rat as a moderator or as a political commentator. It's really weird to hear Hillary Clinton talking about him. Still, rest in peace.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Brown Moses posted:

A number of journalists on Twitter have noted the film-maker Sam Bacile doesn't have appeared to exist before these recent events, guessing it's a pseudonym for some other arsehole. Go to it, goon detectives!

Why does it even matter who he is? He didn't do anything illegal. Some radical muslims got their panties in a bunch and threw a hissy fit while attacking innocents.

Sure he's a goddamned moron, but who he is or what the film is about shouldn't loving matter at all. South Park does this poo poo every single show, there is no difference. The focus should be on the subhumans who decided murder and terrorism was a rational response to a movie that offended them.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ryan8723 posted:

Why does it even matter who he is? He didn't do anything illegal. Some radical muslims got their panties in a bunch and threw a hissy fit while attacking innocents.

Sure he's a goddamned moron, but who he is or what the film is about shouldn't loving matter at all. South Park does this poo poo every single show, there is no difference. The focus should be on the subhumans who decided murder and terrorism was a rational response to a movie that offended them.

It matters if the terrorists who attacked the consulates were actually the creators of the film.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

menino posted:

Here's a rundown on his identity so far:

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/sarahposner/6377/who_is_%22sam_bacile%22

One thing I find really weird is why an Israeli Jew would go out of his way to state that "100 Jewish financiers" helped make the movie. It seems tailor made to incite.
Given what's happened so far, I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be Terry Jones himself.

Svartvit posted:

His "movie" is set in Egypt too so pretty clearly at least he/she/them are connected to Egypt. Could be anyone in other words...
That's all green screened.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

international owl day posted:

It matters if the terrorists who attacked the consulates were actually the creators of the film.

:confused: What? This is news to me.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ryan8723 posted:

This remains unproven; however evidence has begun to support this theory.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ryan8723 posted:

Just speculation. It's important to know who made the film because it is now apparent that they are deliberately obfuscating and were trying to incite violence by claiming to be Jewish and getting Jewish backing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That is unlikely. Its more likely just (christian) bigots.

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

This remains unproven; however evidence has begun to support this theory.

Like what?

RIP Vilerat. The world is really weird

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

ryan8723 posted:

It would be very strange for religious extremists that are driven to violence by "offenses to Islam" producing something like this unless they had some other ulterior political motive. Plus it was produced in English by actors with American accents.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just speculation. It's important to know who made the film because it is now apparent that they are deliberately obfuscating and were trying to incite violence by claiming to be Jewish and getting Jewish backing.

This would be some hosed up "Usual Suspects" level poo poo, right here.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If this is true, then it's a huge deal. You're right that it is important if this is true. Only if it's not true and just some idiot, does it not really matter.

I doubt the terrorist are that skilled in deception though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ryan8723 posted:

I doubt the terrorist are that skilled in deception though.

Would it really be that elaborate of a ruse?

edit: I guess it would be quite the ruse; I hadn't seen it suggested anywhere else however.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 12, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

OneEightHundred posted:

Plus it was produced in English by actors with American accents.

Well, it would be pretty silly if they were attempting to convince people they were american if they spoke in heavy arabic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is unlikely. Its more likely just (christian) bigots.

Indeed. The fact that Steve Klein, an advisor on the film, was recently uncovered as one of the people associated with Concerned Citizens for the First Amendment, a known anti-Islamic group in Southern California, makes it more, rather than less, likely that this is the case.

That doesn't make the mystery of Sam Bacile any less important to resolve, however.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hell, if anything it's even worse. You'd never see the RPG coming, and it'd be quick. I can't possibly imagine the terror of being trapped in a burning building.

Speaking as someone who has been, I would never remotely wish that even on my worst enemy. :smith: It's awful.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm new to SA and haven't been around long enough to get to know VR. His loss, for me, strikes pretty close to home. In 2010, I worked in a Muslim nation of the Comoros in East Africa as part of a military deployment. There was a political assassination and an attempted coup while we were there. I knew help was 18 hours away and we were a small, unarmed team, that was helping with anti-piracy and other humanitarian projects.

During my time there, Terry Jones was trying to do his Koran burning thing and that sent people into an uproar. They didn't understand how it was legal to burn the Koran, the Bible, or any other religious text in the USA. I hated Terry Jones and the damage he caused in my relations with the people I worked with. Happily for me, many of them were intelligent in knew a demagogue when they saw one.

The Kahled Mattawa post is awesome as it highlights the complexity of politics half a world away.

So, prayers and condolences to VR's family from me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Well, it would be pretty silly if they were attempting to convince people they were american if they spoke in heavy arabic.
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but the point is that it was probably produced in the US, with the cooperation of American talent, which means some really heavy conspiracy theory poo poo needs to be woven together to make a regional Salafist militia responsible for its production.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I had to get to bed early last night and was busy this morning, but drat, RIP Vilerat. This is terrible news. My sympathies to his family.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Caro joins the actual front line battles in Libya but Vilerat dies doing IT work? What the christ :smith:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

OneEightHundred posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but the point is that it was probably produced in the US, with the cooperation of American talent, which means some really heavy conspiracy theory poo poo needs to be woven together to make a regional Salafist militia responsible for its production.

Indeed, The Atlantic just put out something which quotes a second interview with Steve Klein, stating that Sam Bacile is a pseudonym, most probably not Jewish or Israeli, and suggesting that the real Sam Bacile is a collection of American Copts and Evangelicals originally from Muslim countries (which furthermore suggests that they are probably converted Muslims)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 12, 2012

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

OneEightHundred posted:

That's all green screened.

Said it was set in Egypt, not filmed.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OneEightHundred posted:

Not really. I doubt that the whole "shady Muslim extremists financing black propaganda" thing is what actually happened, but if there was a conspiracy it wouldn't need to be so crazy. It could be done with a couple of emails and Skype calls ("hey, Reverend Jones, we're Middle Eastern Christians/Israeli Jews and big fans of your anti-Islam videos, honest") and a wire transfer to his bank account. It doesn't fit the MO of the Salafist groups behind the attack, but if they did want to do it, it wouldn't be very hard.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 12, 2012

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

It doesn't fit the MO of the Salafist groups behind the attack

What is known about this group? Have they undergone any changes in leadership lately?

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!
Isn't it customary to permaban people who have passed away?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Isn't it customary to not be a nitpicking rear end in a top hat when someone's died?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

kylejack posted:

Isn't it customary to permaban people who have passed away?

Thanks for allowing that to be your chief concern after also notifying us that you didn't like him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PowderKeg posted:

anyone have a link for this? I have a friend on FB with a "wheres the muslin outrage??!!?" post that needs this in the comments.

There's these guys They're posting a call to Libyans to condemn the violence.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

No, it's not my chief concern, just something I wondered about. As I said, Rest In Peace, nobody should have to go like this.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That's true, as Ozma noted, your chief concern was to remind everyone that you didn't like him. Thanks for letting us know!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna miss you Vilerat. Yelling at the Chargers with you was always a good time.

God I am so bummed right now.

E: gently caress you kylejack

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Israel says filmmaker behind anti-Muhammad movie is not a citizen

Israeli officials said Wednesday they had no record of Israeli citizenship for the filmmaker responsible for an anti-Islam film that sparked deadly riots in Egypt and Libya.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they had not heard of Sam Bacile and there was no record of him being a citizen.

Bacile, a 56-year-old California real-estate developer, wrote, directed and produced a film depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad as a womanizer, fraud and madman. He told the Associated Press he is a Jewish Israeli-American.

So it's pretty clear it's a fake pseudonym for one person or a group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

kylejack posted:

No, it's not my chief concern, just something I wondered about. As I said, Rest In Peace, nobody should have to go like this.

gently caress you shut the gently caress up.

• Locked thread