Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More videos from a fresh chlorine barrel bomb attack on Kafr Zita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzsG402nnPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5LnArDo0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdxduPj9XeE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Warbadger posted:

I think you greatly underestimate the agency of the Saudis (and Jordanians for that matter) with regards to needing US approval to do things with the weapons they own.

Here are a couple takes on the Saudi intelligence chief quitting:

http://www.voanews.com/content/saudi-intelligence-chief-resigns/1894735.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27047856

Key line from the BBC article:

'Largely in protest over Washington's reluctance to get involved militarily in Syria, he reportedly told European diplomats in October that Saudi Arabia would be scaling back its co-operation with the CIA over arming and training rebel groups seeking to topple President Bashar al-Assad.'

So maybe this was a unilateral decision by KSA.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

McDowell posted:

Here are a couple takes on the Saudi intelligence chief quitting:

http://www.voanews.com/content/saudi-intelligence-chief-resigns/1894735.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27047856

Key line from the BBC article:

'Largely in protest over Washington's reluctance to get involved militarily in Syria, he reportedly told European diplomats in October that Saudi Arabia would be scaling back its co-operation with the CIA over arming and training rebel groups seeking to topple President Bashar al-Assad.'

So maybe this was a unilateral decision by KSA.

Fairly unlikely in my mind. Contractually third party transfers are illegal without US approval, and as we can see it's hard to disguise the providence of weapons when the rebels are so happy to video everything. Responsibility would be traced almost immediately. It would also be odd that they were only willing to start right after the declaration that the US was easing up their restrictions. The training (alleged) and southern supply route is also reminiscent of the Croatian weapon shipment which I recall was pretty obviously Saudi transported with serious allegations of US involvement.

One could easily see the step down of the Saudi chief who is felt to be too willing to supply to AQ elements as part of a bargain with the US to increase supply of weapons on a selective basis. As BM has shown the weapons will definitely slip outside of the select groups receiving them, but with ISIS faction fighting the rebels as well, one could make a reasonable argument for covert support for rebels who are positioned both in opposition to ISIS and the regime.

An idea on who is handing out the weapons can probably reverse engineered when we see whose hands US origin weapons start out in when/if we start seeing them pop up in the east and the north.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Speaking of the Croatian weapons, I know they started off in the south and eventually were documented in the hands of jihadists in the north and east, but I'm wondering- how did they get there? Did the insurgency control enough of a contiguous swath of land to have a pipeline between their respective areas?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Can anyone approximate how big of an explosion we're looking at here? Purportedly a massive explosion at the regime-held Hanano barracks in Aleppo currently under assault. Armory explosion scale?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Probably a truck bomb similar to those from earlier in the conflict (For example). I really hope the area has been cleared of civilians cause I shudder thinking of the collateral damage that caused.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

suboptimal posted:

Speaking of the Croatian weapons, I know they started off in the south and eventually were documented in the hands of jihadists in the north and east, but I'm wondering- how did they get there? Did the insurgency control enough of a contiguous swath of land to have a pipeline between their respective areas?

I suspect it's more likely the groups who originally had the weapons sharing them with Islamist groups they fought alongside, who shared them with groups they fought alongside, and so on. Then when the infighting started they spread through being captured. I've even seen government stockpiles with Croatian weapons.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Interesting video of a DIY barrel bomb, this one has a long and thin design, something I've not seen before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7_B7bnpe1A

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MothraAttack posted:

Can anyone approximate how big of an explosion we're looking at here? Purportedly a massive explosion at the regime-held Hanano barracks in Aleppo currently under assault. Armory explosion scale?

It's quite impossible to assess this based on one still image. Dust can carry long ways over time if the conditions are right, so it could be anything from a medium sized explosion to a much bigger happening.

Still, I'd wager that the dust cloud has expanded very rapidly to very tall altitude as it still has so defined outline and hasn't diffused much. That would place it in the larger end of spectrum.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 17, 2014

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

farraday posted:

One could easily see the step down of the Saudi chief who is felt to be too willing to supply to AQ elements as part of a bargain with the US to increase supply of weapons on a selective basis. As BM has shown the weapons will definitely slip outside of the select groups receiving them, but with ISIS faction fighting the rebels as well, one could make a reasonable argument for covert support for rebels who are positioned both in opposition to ISIS and the regime.

An idea on who is handing out the weapons can probably reverse engineered when we see whose hands US origin weapons start out in when/if we start seeing them pop up in the east and the north.

The guy was the Saudi Ambassador to the US for decades. He is as close to the US as any man can get, and was instrumental in counter-terrorism coordination between Saudi and the US. As bad as Bandar may be, an Al-Qaeda sympathizer he is not.

An offensive that isn't getting much coverage is the Homs Offensive by the regime. Just to show that this is a war that ebbs and flows, this is the third or fourth time the Regime has gone into the same areas of Homs over the last three years. In 2012 after the regime retook the areas of old Homs, Bashar Al Assad himself went ou and waltzed along the streets, claiming that the war would be over in a few months. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I've been following Homs some, and my lay impression is that the threat of it falling is more pronounced this time around. Supplies to the few hundred remaining rebels are choked and the regime is hitting hard. It seems like the old city really could fall in the next few weeks.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

MothraAttack posted:

I've been following Homs some, and my lay impression is that the threat of it falling is more pronounced this time around. Supplies to the few hundred remaining rebels are choked and the regime is hitting hard. It seems like the old city really could fall in the next few weeks.

What I'm saying is this will be the third or fourth time it has really fallen. Nothing has really changed since the last few times.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So I think we can all agree that the insurgents have better propaganda videos than the pro-Assad side. This is a Shoa' song depicting Hizballah and Iraqi fighters guarding the Sayyida Zeinab shrine in Damascus, and it's awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5BzovaaHo

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

suboptimal posted:

So I think we can all agree that the insurgents have better propaganda videos than the pro-Assad side. This is a Shoa' song depicting Hizballah and Iraqi fighters guarding the Sayyida Zeinab shrine in Damascus, and it's awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5BzovaaHo

Pretty sure there's a Hadith against excessive auto tuning.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Interesting video of a DIY barrel bomb, this one has a long and thin design, something I've not seen before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7_B7bnpe1A

Weren't the ones in that leaked vid from inside one of the bomb-copters forever ago long and thin (like acetylene canisters)?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Radio Prune posted:

Weren't the ones in that leaked vid from inside one of the bomb-copters forever ago long and thin (like acetylene canisters)?

Yes, but there's a number of similarities in these bombs and the newest DIY barrel bombs, which I've detailed here. They appear to have the same three tail fins, a slot cut between the tail fins (not sure what that's for), and det cord. It seems like these are based off the same design improvements, but for whatever reason they are smaller.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

MothraAttack posted:

I believe this is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf8kgEpDB40

What's the deal with these barracks anyway? I thought they had been captured like almost 2 years ago. I remember the videos. Were they taken back in the meantime?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, the SAA has held them for a while now, I believe. It looks like the opposition might have taken them, though. The air force intelligence building is also under very direct siege now, so a couple of the regime's main bases in the city are at risk of falling.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
What evidence is there that the rebels captured the barracks? Simply the fact that there was a large explosion there, and the regime has a monopoly on explosives? It seems much more likely that it's the rebels bombed the barracks.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, of course it was likely an opposition attack. It's unclear who holds the barracks at the moment, though. This video purports to show rebels entering the barracks, which was backed by activist claims, but as of this morning pro-regime media are showing pictures of what they claim are dead attackers around the barracks. That video was uploaded before regime groups started distributing photos of dead guys with yellow armbands, so, uh, we'll have to wait until the dust settles.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brown Moses posted:

Yes, but there's a number of similarities in these bombs and the newest DIY barrel bombs, which I've detailed here. They appear to have the same three tail fins, a slot cut between the tail fins (not sure what that's for), and det cord. It seems like these are based off the same design improvements, but for whatever reason they are smaller.

This is some Poe's Law poo poo, man.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
It looks like a section of piping that was cut up. Someone is going to be unhappy when they find that their municipal water system doesn't work anymore. Or oil well.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Torpor posted:

It looks like a section of piping that was cut up. Someone is going to be unhappy when they find that their municipal water system doesn't work anymore. Or oil well.

I think we can guarantee a whole lot of unhappy people no matter what.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

I should start a Tumblr account for this stuff, I get so much of it.

There's been another alleged chemical attack tonight, this time in Al Tamanah about 13km away from Kafr Zita.

I've been creating playlists for videos of alleged chemical attacks, and this year I've already made playlists for 13 separate reported attacks, and that's not a complete count of these alleged attacks.

[edit] And literally the second I post this there's report of a new attack in Kafr Zita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfTpsyTFig

These alleged attacks in Kafr Zita have been a near daily occurrence since April 11th.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 18, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are these chemical attacks at all effective? I can't see them being worth the risks. I mean maybe they're not worried about any international response at this point. Even still it doesn't seem to help much strategically.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Maybe it's like the Iraq chlorine VBIEDs, much better at spreading terror than chlorine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Ape of Naples posted:

Are these chemical attacks at all effective? I can't see them being worth the risks. I mean maybe they're not worried about any international response at this point. Even still it doesn't seem to help much strategically.

The strategy is to break the opposition imo, so it works in that regard. The sarin attack for instance didn't provide much military gain, but it killed a fuckload of people who would have otherwise been somewhat safe from conventional artillery attacks where they were sheltered. CW definitely aid in spreading fear. And obviously they're not worried about an international response at this point. Assad was spreading word that any intervention after the ghouta bombings would be purely cosmetic on the US' part, so they weren't even worried then. Now it's probably laughable.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PleasingFungus posted:

Can we put Brown Moses' nothing but predictable on the blog or something? That would probably shut him up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

It was apparent that the administration was bound by the statements it had made regarding Syria, but Obama was obviously looking for an out the entire time. Putin provided that out, and Obama accepted graciously.

This is back a bit, but technically, it wasn't. The US had started giving the FSA weapons in response to a smaller scale CW attack prior to Ghouta. If they wanted to, they could've focused on that as the "red line" threat being fulfilled, and it's not like there would have been public outcry about it from anything other than a handful of activists, and some Syrian Americans. I doubt even conservatives would have ripped on him much because WE GOTS PROBLEMS HERE AT HOME. But the Obama administration almost never even brought up the funding to the rebels. The way I saw it, Obama was the lone man stopping intervention from Syria in happening. There was at least one major meeting even before the Ghouta attack where literally all his advisors were in favor of some form of strikes, but Obama overrode them. Ghouta changed all that. At that point, Obama supported strikes on Syria, but after the national response to the suggestion, decided it was dependent on Congressional approval, which echoed the approval of the American people. He went on national television to give a speech essentially pleading the case of these strikes to try and gain support, and had the state department release videos of the chemical weapons attack that seemed hand picked for maximum emotional value, but it went nowhere. It still would have been the most unpopular war in the last 20 years. I don't think the offer from Putin had anywhere near as much to do with the lack of intervention as the tremendous outcry against the AUMF that was sent to Congress, and it's near certainty to fail. Libya was on a small scale, but Syria would've required a commitment from the entire country that we weren't anywhere near prepared for, regardless of how much blood had been spilled or how many atrocities had been committed. I know people like to act like the government is a separate entity that has its own agenda, and at times that's true, but the American people clearly wrote the policy on this one. The deal with Putin was mandated by the public, not by some backroom politicking. He went over his whole stance on this in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbIrm42zYTU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a shot of the barrel bomb reportedly used in last night's chemical attack on Kafr Zita
http://youtu.be/bx9ebxU38YA
Yellow is used to mark industrial chlorine cylinders.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Four French journalists, Nicolas Henin, Pierre Torres, Edouard Elias and Didier Francois, kidnapped last June have been reportedly released and are in Turkey.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Great news. Wonder if a rival group freed them, or if this is how ISIS is doing ransoms.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a shot of the barrel bomb reportedly used in last night's chemical attack on Kafr Zita
http://youtu.be/bx9ebxU38YA
Yellow is used to mark industrial chlorine cylinders.

It seems that in every single one of these videos theres a bunch of guys more than eager to get at these things with screwdrivers and pliers. I'd like to see just one were they rope off the area :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's interesting the det cord appears to have been wrapped around the neck of the cylinder and glued into place. I guess the idea was it would be blasted off, releasing the gas, when the cord detonated.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Egyptian satirist Bassem Youssef will stay off the air until after next month’s presidential election to avoid influencing voters, his television network said on Saturday.
The May 26-27 vote is widely expected to be won by former army chief Abdel Fattah El Sisi, who is riding a wave of popularity after removing Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.

Mr Youssef, nicknamed the “Egyptian Jon Stewart” after the American comedian he emulates, rose to prominence with his weekly show Al-Bernameg (The Programme), poking fun at Mr Morsi and his supporters during the Islamist’s turbulent year in office.

The former heart surgeon would be on holiday until May 30, the Saudi-owned MBC Masr television channel said in a statement.

The decision was taken to “avoid influencing the Egyptian voters’ opinions and public opinion”, the channel said, adding it was “keen on respecting the electoral process” in Egypt.

Since his show returned in October, Mr Youssef has turned his attention to Egypt’s interim authorities, poking fun at Mr El Sisi and the frenzy surrounding him at a time when few dare to criticise the retired field marshal.

A tide of resurgent nationalism has swept Egypt, with Mr El Sisi hailed by supporters as the country’s saviour for driving Mr Morsi from power in July and launching a bloody crackdown on his Muslim Brotherhood.

Mr Youssef was prosecuted under Mr Morsi’s rule, allegedly for “threatening public security” and “insulting religion

http://www.thenational.ae/world/egypt/egypt-comedian-bassem-youssef-off-air-ahead-of-elections

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
God forbid that a public discourse were to interfere with the democratic process.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MothraAttack posted:

I think it would be easier to live a year in Antarctica than living a year in Homs.

How it's still a point of contention is shocking. There's probably nothing of worth there other than endless piles of rubble and corpses.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A new shot of the Volcano rocket's launcher, this time from Kasseb

Interestingly, that's the Syrian Social Nationalist Party flag being flown next to it.

It seems to be the launcher is identical to other examples seen elsewhere, but on a slightly different truck

The above photos from Hezbollah fighters, it even featured on Hezbollah propaganda after the Yabroud Offensive

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Maliha, Damascus got hit by the government tonight, some of the injuries are very much of the "how did they survive that" type injury, especially the first guy in this video. Very :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More horrible from Syria, it appears the trapped fighters in Homs broke out of their area, then captured and slaughtered some Assad "militias". Videos and pictures have been posted, showing decapitated heads, rows of corpses with their hands tied, a head on a pole, and various other horrible stuff.

• Locked thread