Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Xandu posted:

I could see it happening. Didn't some journalists in Afghanistan accidently buy a used computer at some electronics store with a bunch of AQ or Taliban secrets on it?

Funny how that poo poo happens. I remember reading about how after a US tank had to be scuttled in the attack on Baghdad, someone found its Blue Force Tracker- a super duper sensitive piece of equipment that shows the position of every friendly unit with a similar device- on sale at a junk market a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Randandal posted:

I'm thankful that at least somebody believes Assad has surrendered most of his chemical arsenal.

Trust but verify - can you cite a source that Assad hasn't surrendered his worst stuff (Sarin/VX) in a PR move after using it last year? The recent attacks have been with chlorine, haven't they?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

McDowell posted:

Trust but verify - can you cite a source that Assad hasn't surrendered his worst stuff (Sarin/VX) in a PR move after using it last year? The recent attacks have been with chlorine, haven't they?

The minor attack on the anniversary of Ghouta had people frothing at the mouth and symptoms more consistent with sarin than chlorine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

Also looks like Assad is celebrating the 1 year anniversery of the Sarin attack by doing another chemical attack in the same area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YsnCRZLdOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptm06NEmUrw

Brown Moses posted:

Doesn't look like chlorine, and those attacks have been limited to areas in Idlib and Hama, so I'm guessing this is something else.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only way to stop a bad guy with WMD is a good guy with WMD - why wouldn't Israel bomb the poo poo out of ISIL if they look like they are about to get a hold on whatever Assad has left? Assuming Assad doesn't launch it against Israel as a good bye kiss. Getting it to a Western Target, especially America, would still be logistically difficult if they did have the materials. But history has shown that hysterical fear about what could happen is the best approach. The smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud!

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

McDowell posted:

The only way to stop a bad guy with WMD is a good guy with WMD - why wouldn't Israel bomb the poo poo out of ISIL if they look like they are about to get a hold on whatever Assad has left? Assuming Assad doesn't launch it against Israel as a good bye kiss. Getting it to a Western Target, especially America, would still be logistically difficult if they did have the materials. But history has shown that hysterical fear about what could happen is the best approach. The smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud!

oh my god are you for real :psyboom:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

McDowell posted:

I love you.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Ah, yes! The Lethal Weapon Doctrine. The only way to beat ISIS' crazy is to be even crazier.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

McDowell posted:

:stare:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

McDowell posted:

I guess Caligula really was your best role.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
We don't have a horse for a senator yet, there's still hope.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

We don't have a horse for a senator yet, there's still hope.

horses would be a tremendous improvement

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

When GiP is aghast you've achieved...well I don't know. Good job seems inadequate.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just been checking out some new TOW ATGM videos, and there's now over 100 videos posted by the Syrian opposition showing them using TOW ATGMs, probably more than any other type of ATGM.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

McDowell posted:

The prophecy is in you, keep going

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

McDowell posted:

Humanity is loving doomed if you ever get near the button.

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.
Overheard an unusual conversation at work Wednesday. I work as a bartender at a hotel in Israel, and this conversation occurred during a really quiet night shift on Wednesday. One of the hotels guests who I've seen around this summer with his daughters, a Jewish man from the UK, probably in his mid 40s, sat down at a table near the bar with two Israelis (a woman of about 50 years of age, and a man of the same). We'll call them Uno, Dos, and Tres respectively. I can't quite remember where the conversation started, but it must have been interesting cause I started to pay attention. I even took out paper, and a pen when I realized this wasn't the typical lobby bar conversation. This is basically what I managed to gather from the conversation:

- Uno is from North Western England, studied at Oxford, and was introduced to some kind of on-campus club or society by someone named "Jeff Tantum" (a name he mentioned again and again during the conversation, and I think he might be referring to http://powerbase.info/index.php/Geoffrey_Tantum). The name of the club or society sounded like "Traveler's club", but I can't say with any certainty. He seemed to relate to this Tantum guy as a kind of mentor.

- Uno claimed to be involved in a business venture with someone in the Obama admin. named Steve Simon (presumably this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Simon). In this connection he also mentioned a man named Gilad, and a contact they had in the US Coast Gaurd, whom Gilad was angry with for some reason. He may have said something about Steve Simon being in the NSA.

- The Saudi's were also mentioned quite liberally through out the conversation. At first something about Saudi medicine, then a shopping mall, and after that Saudi involvement with Citibank. Towards the end of the conversation Uno mentioned being at a "party" at Steve Simon's house in which someone named Mohammed introduced them to high ranking members of the al Saud family.

- There was a lot of talk about a company called Good Harbor, but I couldn't make out the details (he emphasized the name repeatedly to indicate its importance). Someone named Dick Clark from the Clinton admin. was also mentioned, and that he was a homosexual (probably this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Clarke).

- Besides all of the above, all I can remember was that Tres knew someone named John Scarlet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Scarlett), Uno mentioned investing in "emerging Europe" (specifically Greece, the mention of which elicited heaps of sarcastic laughter from the three), and a lot was said about pharmaceuticals (possibly in connection with the Saudis).

- Dos and Tres did very little talking, especially Dos. Tres was an older man, but strongly built, and gave the impression of being a military officer or a Mossad man. I also got the impression that they were all meeting for the first time, and that it was at the behest of Uno. At the end of the convo they all shook hands, and Uno said something along the lines of (paraphrasing): "this meeting will be very profitable for us, as each of us has useful connections that the other needs".

I'm halfway through reading "House of Bush, House of Saud" at the moment, and this was super weird to overhear. This all sounds like some Carlyle Group type poo poo. Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

edit: changed "at work today" to "at work Wednesday". Don't know why I wrote today. Oops.

juan fitzcarraldo fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 30, 2014

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

juan fitzcarraldo posted:

Overheard an unusual conversation at work today.

This better not be one of those weird online mystery marketing campaigns for some political thriller film out next year.

....Although if it is, um more hints please.

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.

dr_rat posted:

This better not be one of those weird online mystery marketing campaigns for some political thriller film out next year.

Nope, I was honestly surprised when I went home and looked up the names he mentioned, and they turned out to be real people. Until Wednesday I thought he was just some dude on vacation with his two teenage daughters. Just the other week he had a huge family gathering type thing in the lobby area. Some 30 people showed up.

edit: also, I realize how cartoonish some of this sounds, but this is Israel, a small country with (probably) an out of proportion amount of secret service types. I mentioned this to one of the other bartenders, and she said these kind of people regularly make appearances at the hotel.

juan fitzcarraldo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 30, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Any idea which rebel faction is attacking those Filipino peacekeepers in Golan?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

A chunk of fighters from Ansar Al-Islam (a predominately Kurdish Islamist group who operate along the Iran-Iraq border) just gave bay'ah to ISIS a couple of days ago, that's a bit far north for them though but they have developed a web of sympathizers on the Iranian side of the border. Could be connected?

Uh, what does 'giving bay'ah' mean? I take it from the pictures that they welcomed them?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Pledge allegiance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So what is Iran doing about ISIS?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

Any idea which rebel faction is attacking those Filipino peacekeepers in Golan?

Israeli media is reporting it's al Nusra.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

Uh, what does 'giving bay'ah' mean? I take it from the pictures that they welcomed them?

Bay'ah

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Overheard an unusual conversation at work Wednesday. I work as a bartender at a hotel in Israel, and this conversation occurred during a really quiet night shift on Wednesday. One of the hotels guests who I've seen around this summer with his daughters, a Jewish man from the UK, probably in his mid 40s, sat down at a table near the bar with two Israelis (a woman of about 50 years of age, and a man of the same). We'll call them Uno, Dos, and Tres respectively. I can't quite remember where the conversation started, but it must have been interesting cause I started to pay attention. I even took out paper, and a pen when I realized this wasn't the typical lobby bar conversation. This is basically what I managed to gather from the conversation:

- Uno is from North Western England, studied at Oxford, and was introduced to some kind of on-campus club or society by someone named "Jeff Tantum" (a name he mentioned again and again during the conversation, and I think he might be referring to http://powerbase.info/index.php/Geoffrey_Tantum). The name of the club or society sounded like "Traveler's club", but I can't say with any certainty. He seemed to relate to this Tantum guy as a kind of mentor.

- Uno claimed to be involved in a business venture with someone in the Obama admin. named Steve Simon (presumably this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Simon). In this connection he also mentioned a man named Gilad, and a contact they had in the US Coast Gaurd, whom Gilad was angry with for some reason. He may have said something about Steve Simon being in the NSA.

- The Saudi's were also mentioned quite liberally through out the conversation. At first something about Saudi medicine, then a shopping mall, and after that Saudi involvement with Citibank. Towards the end of the conversation Uno mentioned being at a "party" at Steve Simon's house in which someone named Mohammed introduced them to high ranking members of the al Saud family.

- There was a lot of talk about a company called Good Harbor, but I couldn't make out the details (he emphasized the name repeatedly to indicate its importance). Someone named Dick Clark from the Clinton admin. was also mentioned, and that he was a homosexual (probably this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Clarke).

- Besides all of the above, all I can remember was that Tres knew someone named John Scarlet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Scarlett), Uno mentioned investing in "emerging Europe" (specifically Greece, the mention of which elicited heaps of sarcastic laughter from the three), and a lot was said about pharmaceuticals (possibly in connection with the Saudis).

- Dos and Tres did very little talking, especially Dos. Tres was an older man, but strongly built, and gave the impression of being a military officer or a Mossad man. I also got the impression that they were all meeting for the first time, and that it was at the behest of Uno. At the end of the convo they all shook hands, and Uno said something along the lines of (paraphrasing): "this meeting will be very profitable for us, as each of us has useful connections that the other needs".

I'm halfway through reading "House of Bush, House of Saud" at the moment, and this was super weird to overhear. This all sounds like some Carlyle Group type poo poo. Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

edit: changed "at work today" to "at work Wednesday". Don't know why I wrote today. Oops.
Can't help you too much but Good Harbor is Dick Clarke's private intelligence consultancy, so that's how it ties in to all of this.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Berke Negri posted:

When GiP is aghast you've achieved...well I don't know. Good job seems inadequate.

I wasnt aghast. I was stunned and oddly turned on. But I was phone posting and don't have all the smilies memorize so I couldn't post :stare::fh:

Its a pretty amazing post really. I mean its not my style, since I'm more on the conventional carpet bombing for weeks on end side.. But hey. To each their own.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SedanChair posted:

Whoever described mcdowell as DnDs mad oracle basically nailed it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

My main annoyance is the 'laptop of doom' - the media sensationalism that is a big part of the War on Terror and has gotten us into this mess. Then Volkerball and others started their neocon pearl clutching about how we can only assume the worst about bad guys and WMDs. Israel has bombed Regime targets before to keep arms from getting into the hands of Hezbollah, if it looked like ISIL was about the overwhelm Assad they could be expected to act. If that were to fail ISIL would still have to get their new chemical weapons across a number of borders and oceans that have been specifically fortified for the past 10 years against that kind of activity. If they somehow dodged all law enforcement and could adapt the Assad arsensal into an IED they could kill a few thousand people, hardly an existensial threat.

But that rational consideration doesn't figure into yellow journalism and security state propaganda. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

McDowell posted:

My main annoyance is the 'laptop of doom' - the media sensationalism that is a big part of the War on Terror and has gotten us into this mess. Then Volkerball and others started their neocon pearl clutching about how we can only assume the worst about bad guys and WMDs. Israel has bombed Regime targets before to keep arms from getting into the hands of Hezbollah, if it looked like ISIL was about the overwhelm Assad they could be expected to act. If that were to fail ISIL would still have to get their new chemical weapons across a number of borders and oceans that have been specifically fortified for the past 10 years against that kind of activity. If they somehow dodged all law enforcement and could adapt the Assad arsensal into an IED they could kill a few thousand people, hardly an existensial threat.

But that rational consideration doesn't figure into yellow journalism and security state propaganda. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I'm a little sleep deprived, but none of this makes any sense?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Snipee posted:

none of this makes any sense?

welcome to McDowell

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Snipee posted:

A bit too stream-of-thoughty [which I'm now realizing is a recurring trend...], but what that poster is saying is that there are so many roadblocks between biological wmds and IS that it's an utterly retarded concept full stop. The media needs a story, and it will create one for us to be scared about.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Israeli media is reporting it's al Nusra.

What a relief!

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 30, 2014

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Overheard an unusual conversation at work Wednesday.

Another successful contract!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i am harry posted:

A bit too stream-of-thoughty [which I'm now realizing is a recurring trend...], but what that poster is saying is that there are so many roadblocks between biological wmds and IS that it's an utterly retarded concept full stop. The media needs a story, and it will create one for us to be scared about.

What a relief!

Well, his theory that Israel will somehow be able to bomb the chemical weapons out of ISIS's hands is a little ridiculous. The Osiris reactor incident was possible because there was a big, permanent, easily identifiable place to bomb, and IIRC, the air defenses hadn't been completely set up when the Israelis struck. Chemical weapons are easier to make, easier to hide, and probably don't show up on google maps.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

In your heart you know he's truthy.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

There's nothing to prophecize, there is no future anymore, we only live in the present. I also wasn't refering to an Israeli strike on reactors, but multiple incidents in the civil war where a mystery airforce bombed Regime/Hezbollah get-togethers. If Assad is about to fall to ISIL he could attack Israel or Israel could act preemptively to deny ISIL of regime assets.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

sullat posted:

Well, his theory that Israel will somehow be able to bomb the chemical weapons out of ISIS's hands is a little ridiculous. The Osiris reactor incident was possible because there was a big, permanent, easily identifiable place to bomb, and IIRC, the air defenses hadn't been completely set up when the Israelis struck. Chemical weapons are easier to make, easier to hide, and probably don't show up on google maps.

Osirak, not Osiris - Although we DO currently have a group called 'ISIS' messing up the neighborhood, so you are excused for being confused.

Edit: I complain about other people's posts, but cannot even spell 'Osiris' correctly myself!

Gniwu fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Talks between the Sunni's and Shia's on the new Iraqi government have broken down for the time being. Sunni bloc wants 40% of the posts in the government, Shia bloc says that's impossible. CIA World Factbook has Sunni population of Iraq at somewhere between 32-37% of the arab population. So taking into account the 15-20% Kurdish population, they're less than 30% of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Bahrain just denied Maryam Alkhawaja entry, claiming she doesn't have citizenship.

She's Bahraini.

She went anyways, and she was arrested. Sounds like they are charging her with insulting the king and assaulting the police.

• Locked thread