Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The New Black posted:

I wasn't commenting on his message. He can just gently caress right off, generally.

Oh, in that case, I completely agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Didn't he gently caress off to be an economic adviser to Sisi already? Even when he's loving off he makes things worse.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That ISIS manuscript, moaning at the west for killing muslims? :ironicat:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
You know, you can think it was a bad idea to go into Iraq, and you can think the current situation with ISIS is an indirect consequence of poor decision making that led to that, and yet also think it's unwise to not respond with force to the fact that a literal terrorist state is forming in the middle east that is well funded, well armed, and has a manifesto calling for the murder of all Americans.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Infrastructure doesn't just magically appear, will the US be offering adequate restitution for messing up more now?

Killing bad guys is all we have budget for, wonder why..

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Sounds to me more like it was pointing out the hypocritical stance of intervening in one thing but not in the other, to show that "the West's" actions have no good intentions behind them. Can't exactly entirely disagree with that but the ISIS being in favour of a US intervention in Syria (even post-facto) is a hilarious mental image. :allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This is doing the rounds on my Facebook feed.

It's pretty disappointing to see people who I thought were fairly reasonable transforming into these raving, xenophobic maniacs after the big counter-terror raid went off. Especially sharing this pretty trash propaganda from what I can tell are a bunch of no-name losers. I'm pretty sure I'm on some kind of watchlist for just googling the name.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bombs solve everything.

More bombs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

YF-23 posted:

Sounds to me more like it was pointing out the hypocritical stance of intervening in one thing but not in the other, to show that "the West's" actions have no good intentions behind them. Can't exactly entirely disagree with that but the ISIS being in favour of a US intervention in Syria (even post-facto) is a hilarious mental image. :allears:

No, he definitely goes on a rant about all the innocent muslims the US has killed. It's pretty funny considering what they did to the Sheitat tribe. But yeah, I had the same reaction to their little "gotcha" with the US not giving a poo poo about Assad. Like there's an alternate universe where the US went after Assad, and the true-blood jihadists waved American flags and thanked us for our service. Their influence may have been degraded, but there's no doubt that those who still believed would've torn the US apart over attacks aimed at Assad in Syria.

Leo Showers posted:

This is doing the rounds on my Facebook feed.

It's pretty disappointing to see people who I thought were fairly reasonable transforming into these raving, xenophobic maniacs after the big counter-terror raid went off. Especially sharing this pretty trash propaganda from what I can tell are a bunch of no-name losers. I'm pretty sure I'm on some kind of watchlist for just googling the name.

Geez bogans. Couldn't even come up with a new motto? Just took "gently caress off, we're full" and twisted it around a little bit?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trust Australia to find the very worst in nationalism. That's right; trust in perverse, spiritually barren Underland, trust ultra-merica as a crucible of everything that is hateful and stupid in mankind. You can!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Trust Australia to find the very worst in nationalism. That's right; trust in perverse, spiritually barren Underland, trust ultra-merica as a crucible of everything that is hateful and stupid in mankind. You can!
That's what happens when you fill an entire continent with the biggest losers in Europe and then let all the dog-sized spiders and poisonous dinosaurs kill the ones that aren't quick and mindlessly aggressive.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's what happens when you fill an entire continent with the biggest losers in Europe and then let all the dog-sized spiders and poisonous dinosaurs kill the ones that aren't quick and mindlessly aggressive.

Nah that's what happens when you give a bunch of entitled Europeans an entire continent mostly cleaned out of native populations to get fat and comfortable in.

SedanChair posted:

ultra-merica

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sergg posted:

Bombs solve everything.

More bombs.

The infrastructure required to produce and deliver those bombs creates a civil society in which the needs of most are met while allotted with freedom for choice.

One cannot solve the ISIS problem without regional partners willing to enact the destruction of their state.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

My Imaginary GF posted:

The infrastructure required to produce and deliver those bombs creates a civil society in which the needs of most are met while allotted with freedom for choice.

One cannot solve the ISIS problem without regional partners willing to enact the destruction of their state.

Speaking of which, how did the "these are the members of our gently caress ISIS (no Iranians though) Coalition" get made? It's not like the Ukraine or random mini-states without an army are able to do more than say "yeah, sure, we would totally help you if we could".

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's only bad if they do it!

Can you please not sound totally awkward when you're trying to swear? gently caress that, we're loving used to hearing swear words and it's really lovely whenever someone sounds like a poo-poo word filter.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 22, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

Speaking of which, how did the "these are the members of our gently caress ISIS (no Iranians though) Coalition" get made? It's not like the Ukraine or random mini-states without an army are able to do more than say "yeah, sure, we would totally help you if we could".

They are willing to take a public stand and declare themselves against the existance of ISIS' extremism, and willing to take the risk of terrorist acts against their government by citizens who share ISIS' ideals. For some, that is enough. For others in the region, more is necessary.

As to how the coalition was made, it was forged with American blood and a century of soft power.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 22, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blowfish posted:

Can you please not sound totally awkward when you're trying to swear? gently caress that, we're loveling used to hearing swear words and it's really lovely whenever someone sounds like a poo-poo word filter.
Germany has some pretty strict censorship laws you know.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol. told the truth in his monologue to Allah, and then doubled back when he was talking to the west.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

lol. told the truth in his monologue to Allah, and then doubled back when he was talking to the west.

It demonstrates a change in domestic policy of ISIS and the success of our air war. It also shows the real root of ISIS: exploiting a pre-existing animosity towards Israel within the local population.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
This battle is pretty much going to be NCR vs Caesar's Legion

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SBJ posted:

Who is Mr House?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germany has some pretty strict censorship laws you know.

Mostly on :godwinning:, not on swearing like the Americans.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SBJ posted:

This is the third worst New Vegas reference in this thread. In summary, close and delete D&D, thank you.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I read the discussion from couple of pages ago about how ISIS communicates in a completely different manner... but I still don't understand how they can attract volunteers from the West. Yes, they are efficient, direct, unrelenting, and that can appeal to people tired of corporate PR talk and thinly veiled colonialism. But above all ISIS are medieval torturers, as immoral as their opponents, and they are fighting a hopeless and complicated war. What makes a man from France or Germany drop everything he has to travel to a distant wasteland in hope to cut some journalists' throats before a drone strike kills him? What are his motives? Is he a super-hard-core Muslim who believes he will go to heaven? A teenager with no job and education, angry at the world? A mental case?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Malaver posted:

I read the discussion from couple of pages ago about how ISIS communicates in a completely different manner... but I still don't understand how they can attract volunteers from the West. Yes, they are efficient, direct, unrelenting, and that can appeal to people tired of corporate PR talk and thinly veiled colonialism. But above all ISIS are medieval torturers, as immoral as their opponents, and they are fighting a hopeless and complicated war. What makes a man from France or Germany drop everything he has to travel to a distant wasteland in hope to cut some journalists' throats before a drone strike kills him? What are his motives? Is he a super-hard-core Muslim who believes he will go to heaven? A teenager with no job and education, angry at the world? A mental case?

All three of those scenarios have happened. They obviously see it through a different lens. Every ISIS sympathizer/supporter I've argued with plays down the severity of ISIS' crimes, and focuses on things the "kuffar" have done. So they aren't accepting that ISIS commits horrific crimes. They blame that portrayal on western media, and when pressed on specific examples, will start beating up strawmen about how since you're attacking them, you must support the crimes the shia death squads have done, or that the US has done, and things like that. I'd imagine it to be a similar mindset to the German civilians who lived outside of concentration camps, yet supported the Nazi's whole-heartedly. They just refuse to accept that what they are doing isn't noble, or at least, with noble intent, and anything that counters that, they just don't dwell on. Out of sight, out of mind. There's a massive persecution complex to it. They feel that the establishment of the caliphate is the purest, greatest accomplishment they could ever hope to achieve in life, and dying in the aims of completing that seems to be something a lot of people dream about. There's networks in every western nation with sort of extremist mosques, which preach this cult-like interpretation of Islam, and recruit for ISIS. So a lot of it is mixed up muslim kids, or mentally ill savage mother fuckers looking for a purpose getting in with a crowd like that, and deciding to hop on a jet. The network will get them linked in with people on the ground in Turkey or whatever, and they'll take care of it from there. It's just a very established system, and they know exactly what they're looking for and where to find it.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
I've seen write-ups on idealistic Western ISIS sympathizers that went to volunteer for war, but I haven't seen articles come up where any of those types of men have come back, disillusioned. Can anyone point me to a recent article about a volunteer that didn't like what he saw, or whose vision of a pure jihad differed from the realities on the ground? Or, maybe, would their training thoroughly radicalize those would-be conscience-havers?

Or hell, maybe instead they'd just outright be killed (or exiled? Does exile even exist?) for insubordination for not beheading the "thief" in the town square, who only had one unreliable witness against him who had been 3 large city blocks down, and just so happens to be a member of a rival, shady clan with a bone to pick, whatever...? I could envision that scenario for this group of people, certainly. So what then, no dissenters among these rank and file Western jihadis?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

dinoputz posted:

I've seen write-ups on idealistic Western ISIS sympathizers that went to volunteer for war, but I haven't seen articles come up where any of those types of men have come back, disillusioned. Can anyone point me to a recent article about a volunteer that didn't like what he saw, or whose vision of a pure jihad differed from the realities on the ground? Or, maybe, would their training thoroughly radicalize those would-be conscience-havers?

Or hell, maybe instead they'd just outright be killed (or exiled? Does exile even exist?) for insubordination for not beheading the "thief" in the town square, who only had one unreliable witness against him who had been 3 large city blocks down, and just so happens to be a member of a rival, shady clan with a bone to pick, whatever...? I could envision that scenario for this group of people, certainly. So what then, no dissenters among these rank and file Western jihadis?

I remember seeing a video in which they made a big spectacle about destroying their passports. Also many governments have them on a watchlist and would not let them come back (or arrest them). They put themselves in a situation in which there is no out other than death really.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

dinoputz posted:

I'm sure there are, but I'm also pretty sure few will talk about it.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Lol, this is said to be a picture of Houthi leading figure Thaifallah al-Shami sitting in Ali Muhsin al-Ahmar's office (the text is so blurry I can't read). Peter Salisbury says Ali Muhsin has fled to Djibouti. The Houthis have really come out on top.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Volkerball posted:

They feel that the establishment of the caliphate is the purest, greatest accomplishment they could ever hope to achieve in life, and dying in the aims of completing that seems to be something a lot of people dream about. There's networks in every western nation with sort of extremist mosques, which preach this cult-like interpretation of Islam, and recruit for ISIS. So a lot of it is mixed up muslim kids, or mentally ill savage mother fuckers looking for a purpose getting in with a crowd like that, and deciding to hop on a jet.
And a lot are just bored, idealistic, dissatisfied by materialism, searching for a higher purpose, a group/tribal identity. Some essays.

I think that a good way to summarise this is, the success of ISIS speaks to the failure of Occupy Wall Street.

Svartvit posted:

I'm sure there are, but I'm also pretty sure few will talk about it.
What about the recent reports that some are getting imprisoned by ISIS?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Svartvit posted:

Lol, this is said to be a picture of Houthi leading figure Thaifallah al-Shami sitting in Ali Muhsin al-Ahmar's office (the text is so blurry I can't read). Peter Salisbury says Ali Muhsin has fled to Djibouti. The Houthis have really come out on top.

So what is the expectations for the separatists in the south at this point with Houthi control of the capital?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm pretty sure ISIS doesn't just let people go "wow, this was a mistake, I'm going back to my first world country thank you very much".

Any disillusioned members are probably executed for being spies or not true muslims.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Doctor Malaver posted:

I have the impression that they're the way Adam Hochschild describes those Europeans that went to work in colonial Congo in King Leopold's Ghost.

quote:

These were years when, to the distress of many a young male European,
Europe was at peace. For a young man looking for battle, especially
battle against a poorly armed enemy, the Congo was the place to go. For
a white man, the Congo was also a place to get rich and to wield power.
As a district commissioner, you might be running a district as big as all of
Holland or Belgium. As a station chief, you might be a hundred miles
away from the next white official; you could levy whatever taxes you
chose in labor, ivory, or anything else, collect them however you wanted,
and impose whatever punishments you liked. Ifyou got carried away, the
penalty, if any, was a slap on the wrist. A station chief at Manyanga, on the
big rapids, who beat two of his personal servants to death in 1890 was
only fined five hundred francs. What mattered was keeping the ivory
flowing back to Belgium. The more you sent, the more you earned. " Vive
le Congo, there is nothing like it!" one young officer wrote to his family in
1894, "We have liberty, independence, and life with wide horizons. Here
you are free and not a mere slave of society. . . . Here one is everything!
Warrior, diplomat, trader!! Why not!" For such people, just as for the
humbly born Stanley, the Congo offered a chance for a great rise in status.
Someone fated for a life as a small-town bank clerk or plumber in Europe
could instead become a warlord, ivory merchant, big game hunter, and
possessor of a harem.

[...]

Beneath the eagerly repeated stories of wealth and glory to be found
by young white men in the Congo usually lay something else: the sly hint
that you could leave your bourgeois morality back in Europe. (As we shall
see, this would be the case for Leon Rom.) For Europeans of the day,
colonies all over the world offered a convenient escape. Kipling wrote:

Ship me somewheres east of Suez,
where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments,
an' a man can raise a thirst.

In the Congo the Ten Commandments were practiced even less than
in most colonies. Belgium was small, the Congo was huge, and the white
death rate in the African tropics was still notoriously high. (Authorities
tried hard to keep such figures secret, but before 1895 fully a third of
white Congo state agents died there; some of the others died of the
effects of disease after returning to Europe.) And so in order to find
enough men to staff his far-flung network of river posts in malaria-ridden
territory, Leopold had to recruit not just Belgians like Leon Rom,
but young white men from throughout Europe, attracting them by such
get-rich-quick incentives as the lucrative commission structure for acquiring
ivory. Many who came out to work in the Congo were like the
mercenaries who joined the French Foreign Legion or the fortune hunters
who flocked to the two great gold rushes of the day, in South Africa
and the Klondike. With its opportunities for both combat and riches, to
Europeans the Congo was a gold rush and the Foreign Legion combined.
This first wave of Leopold's agents included many hard-bitten men
fleeing marital troubles, bankruptcy, or alcoholism. A popular song sums
up the mood of the time. One official describes in his memoirs how,
newly arrived in the Congo, he was kept awake all night by drunken
agents singing it endlessly in the bar of his seedy seaport hotel. The first
verse runs:

(There're those who blow up at their families,
Who run up debts, who play the fool in vain,
Who one fine evening are fed up with their girls.
They take off, full ofsorrow, for the Congo. . . .)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nebby posted:

You know, you can think it was a bad idea to go into Iraq, and you can think the current situation with ISIS is an indirect consequence of poor decision making that led to that, and yet also think it's unwise to not respond with force to the fact that a literal terrorist state is forming in the middle east that is well funded, well armed, and has a manifesto calling for the murder of all Americans.

A terrorist state? That sounds so scary, let's repeat the same actions that led to its creation in the first place! If there's one thing that Dick Cheney has taught us, it's that bombing the Middle East makes America safer.

The only way ISIS is a threat to Americans is if we're dumb enough to give them a bunch of targets by sending half a million soldiers over there again. Stop letting ISIS goad you into doing exactly what they want. Christ, a few dead white people is all it takes to rile America up for another ruinous war.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 22, 2014

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Ardennes posted:

So what is the expectations for the separatists in the south at this point with Houthi control of the capital?

They will gain a lot politically from Islah and the central government taking a huge blow of course but Hirak's demands are so binary it might not matter. The Houthis are looking to re-visit the federal plan, so I think the only way to capitalize on recent events short of another southern insurrection is to seek a unified southern region rather than a new PDRY pipe dream.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I'm just wondering, I've heard elsewhere that Foley was actually a spy, has that been thoroughly debunked? Mostly from his published history being a bunch of areas where the US would likely need spies to operate. And the same thing for the British guy, with his military experience and then operating in an NGO in all sorts of particular areas.
I don't really give it too much credence, but if they were spies it would make it pretty funny that their deaths resulted in both of their home countries getting involved in a bloodbath. Well, not so funny because it would be many young men dying, but at least an interesting coincident.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

A terrorist state? That sounds so scary, let's repeat the same actions that led to its creation in the first place! If there's one thing that Dick Cheney has taught us, it's that bombing the Middle East makes America safer.

The only way ISIS is a threat to Americans is if we're dumb enough to give them a bunch of targets by sending half a million soldiers over there again. Stop letting ISIS goad you into doing exactly what they want. Christ, a few dead white people is all it takes to rile America up for another ruinous war.

ISIS's ability to metastasize to a weakened Iraq is likely the result of US bumbling in that country, it's formation is the result of inaction in Syria.

Oh, and take that chicken-hawk shtick that you keep trying to shield your intellectually devoid gently caress-you-dad bullshit from criticism with and kindly shove it up your rear end.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Ardent Communist posted:

I'm just wondering, I've heard elsewhere that Foley was actually a spy, has that been thoroughly debunked? Mostly from his published history being a bunch of areas where the US would likely need spies to operate. And the same thing for the British guy, with his military experience and then operating in an NGO in all sorts of particular areas.
I don't really give it too much credence, but if they were spies it would make it pretty funny that their deaths resulted in both of their home countries getting involved in a bloodbath. Well, not so funny because it would be many young men dying, but at least an interesting coincident.

Lots of journalists and aid workers have military backgrounds or have lived in exotic locales. Use Occam's Razor considering that, as well as the fact ISIS didn't harp up their alleged spy status. I mean, most ISIS fanboys didn't even claim it seriously and it doesn't fit prominently into the video. Moreover, ISIS had access to all their passwords, etc., assuming they gave an inch or two in two years captivity. A good spy might conceal their secrets, but that's intense. So no, probably not spies.

Edit: here's the kicker, too. ISIS wanted to negotiate at least for Foley's release, and emailed the family earnestly several times to that effect. They executed him because negotiations weren't allowed. Would they have sought to release a man they thought was bona fide CIA? Doubtful.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 22, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Who is Mr House?

Wall Street and the City of London

Grouchio posted:

What will it take to hopefully eliminate every last ISIS member off the face of the Earth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Ardent Communist posted:

I'm just wondering, I've heard elsewhere that Foley was actually a spy

Please tell us where.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hey guys, check out this clear Gay-Muslim-Jewish-Terrorist conspiracy:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tel-avivs-gay-isis-style-party-poster-taken-down-after-criticism-1466600

I guess the KKK was right to be scared :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

ISIS's ability to metastasize to a weakened Iraq is likely the result of US bumbling in that country, it's formation is the result of inaction in Syria.

Even assuming such an intervention had been successful instead of turning into an endless proxy war with Russia or resulted in an ISIS takeover anyway (a big assumption) it is very unlikely that the fall of Assad would have prevented the disaffected Sunni minority in Iraq from forming an army with their thousands and thousands of veterans from the Iraq war. Are you seriously claiming that creating another power vacuum in Syria would have prevented ISIS from operating there? Their rhetoric would be a little different, because they'd have blamed us for bombing Assad instead of not bombing Assad, I'll give you that.

Jarmak posted:

Oh, and take that chicken-hawk shtick that you keep trying to shield your intellectually devoid gently caress-you-dad bullshit from criticism with and kindly shove it up your rear end.

No. Chickenhawks are contemptible sniveling cowards, and as long as they want to ride their high horse about their endless "humanitarian" crusades and accuse everyone else of loving terrorists, then I'm going to continue calling them out for supporting wars as long as they don't personally have to fight and it's other people's kids taking the bullets to make the chickenhawks feel safe at night.

I love chickenhawk arguments though "What? You don't want to follow Dick Cheney and waste more blood and treasure on yet another failed foreign adventure? Why do you hate your dad?"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 22, 2014

• Locked thread