Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

VitalSigns posted:

How are you still buying Republicans' false war rationale now in 2014 AD? :psyduck:

Overthrowing dictators and spreading freedom had nothing whatsoever to do with why we invaded, except insofar as it was a useful narrative to sell the public on an incompetent attempt to turn Iraq back into a US puppet state. The humanitarians in charge of the war loved Saddam when he was mustard-gassing Iranians and Kurds in the 80s.

Because I didn't accept Republicans' rationale for the war? :shrug:

Please reread what I said and said afterward. Further I don't think there would have been a good way to go about overthrowing him at the time or any real need to. He was contained and wasn't going to really cause any more trouble, if anything we probably should have eased sanctions at the time.

But when we did invade it was really not helped we did so by the cargo cult vanguard of freedom (stock markets!)

Edit: getting away from dumb Saddam chat: I'm a lot more worried what happens when America succeeds than if. I have a lot of confidence in the American Air Force to accomplish it's goals and weaken ISIS logistically and materially. And the regime seems stretched thin by this point (their response seems somewhat muted considering the United States has just invaded them) so I'm not optimistic on Assad's chances. But since this is rapidly becoming the biggest proxy war for everyone north of the Tropic of Cancer, that leaves a lot of loose strings unaccounted for. Let's say that Assad steps down/killed, what happens to the Alawites?

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
The US told Iran it would not be targeting Assad's forces according to a senior Iranian official

quote:

(Reuters) - The United States informed Iran in advance of its intention to strike Islamic State militants in Syria and told Tehran that it would not target the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, a senior Iranian official told Reuters.

"Iran was concerned about Assad's position and his government being weakened in case of any action against IS (Islamic State) in Syria and brought this issue up in meetings with Americans," a senior Iranian official said on condition of anonymity.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This seems like a completely reasonable thing to do that the GOP might pitch an enormous fit over. Should be fun.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

PostNouveau posted:

This seems like a completely reasonable thing to do that the GOP might pitch an enormous fit over. Should be fun.

Not an entirely bad hedge at this point. Assad is at least a known quantity and IS is running around going crazy. If Assad regains control he will murder a bunch of people if IS gets in power they may murder way more people. As the old saying goes an atrocity in hand is better than two in the bush.

Also someone said that the US doesn't provide bread, the US does provide bread but groups apparently steal it and claim they provided it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I will say in fear of bringing back Gulf War convo that people do tend to have a more visceral reaction to jihadi killings versus state sanctioned killings, something especially present in Syria, where Assad has killed exponentially more civilians than the likes of ISIS et al.

Interesting articles. One expounding how the US should engage in the air war.

quote:

American airpower will be the centerpiece of U.S. direct action against the so-called Islamic State. That much, at least, the U.S. government made clear Monday night with the launch of U.S. airstrikes on Syria. American bombers, sea-launched Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles, F-15s, F-16s, F/A-18s, unmanned aircraft, and Arab allies from bases throughout the Persian Gulf region attacked an initial set of roughly 20 primarily fixed targets—logistical hubs, headquarters, training camps, and other ISIS infrastructure—in Raqqa and other areas in Syria.

Meanwhile, the United States has flown hundreds of sorties against ISIS forces in Iraq, but Iraqi security forces have yet to retake major cities. What effect will airstrikes have on ISIS? Will they “degrade” or “defeat” the group? To understand the implications we first must understand ISIS as an organization: How it fights, how it is organized, and ultimately how it might be vulnerable to a long-term bombing campaign.

ISIS’s battlefield success and political resiliency depend on a sophisticated but partially decentralized structure that recommends a different form of targeting than in past U.S. decapitation efforts against al Qaeda and its affiliates. ISIS’s offensive success, especially in Iraq, is attributed to a mix of subversion, guerrilla warfare, and light infantry tactics yielding a surprisingly effective irregular warfare strategy. Its defensive strength derives from its robust local and international recruiting efforts and its success at retaining guerrilla resilience even as it undertakes a state-building project.

quote:

ISIS’s military effectiveness is due not simply to equipment or tactics available. To coordinate complex military operations across multiple theaters, the group relies heavily on its midlevel leadership. Although much international focus remains on the policymaking leadership and ideologists, ISIS’s midlevel leadership consists of one-time Baathist army officers who were recruited by ISIS’s former leader, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, in late 2009 and experienced insurgents from the jihadist movement in Iraq and abroad. Although ISIS’s political leadership and a variety of financial and logistical mechanisms appear centralized, battlefield leadership and initiative is delegated in large part to these midlevel commanders, with significant autonomy to interpret the intent and dispose of the resources of high command.

Faced with this opponent, the United States has a variety of military options for using its aerial and standoff firepower. In Iraq, it appears to pursue the immediate option of an expansion of the types of attacks used around Erbil, the Mosul and Haditha Dams, Sinjar, and Amerli. Hours before the strikes in Syria, U.S. forces attacked ISIS Humvees, armored vehicles and technicals, which are modified civilian vehicles, southwest of Kirkuk. These attacks primarily target vehicles, heavy weapons, and emplacements in relatively open territory, which are easily visible to aerial surveillance as well as ground forces. When used outside of major urban areas, they minimize the risk of civilian casualties and requirements for granular intelligence. Expanding these attacks to more areas in Iraq and Syria would allow for the U.S. to severely hamper ISIS’s large-scale offensive operations.

ISIS does not depend on heavy weapons in Iraq, but it relies heavily on technicals to mass forces before capturing new territory. Denying ISIS’s ability to traverse open ground en masse would severely degrade its ability to expand its territory or to hold areas outside population centers from ground assault, as was the case in the Mosul Dam.

Although the experience of the United States’ extensive history of counterterrorism operations lends itself to a campaign oriented around decapitation of high-level leadership, strikes focusing on on ISIS’s command and control infrastructure could prove more effective by degrading the ability of the group’s midlevel commanders to coordinate battlefield activity. Early strikes in Raqqa appear so far to focus on fixed infrastructure and other static targets, but given ISIS’s insurgent experience at operating underground, seeking out these fixed targets will yield diminishing returns. Although leadership strikes modeled on U.S. counterterrorism operations against al Qaeda and its affiliates could have high political and psychological value, these types of decapitation campaigns are often lengthy, intensive efforts with uncertain results. The significant autonomy enjoyed by ISIS’s ground commanders makes them critically important to their military operations but also potentially resilient to U.S. decapitation efforts. To effectively “degrade” ISIS, these midlevel commanders will likely need to be removed from the battlefield—either through defection or attrition.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/23/airstrikes-in-syria-aren-t-enough-we-need-to-take-out-isis-s-midlevel-commanders.html

Another on the Arab allies.

quote:

The air strikes over Syria, participated in directly by the Saudis, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Bahrain, represent “the beginnings of a real Arab defense force,” the Saudi source said optimistically. Other Arab states, including Qatar and Kuwait, reportedly provided or facilitated logistical support.

One U.S. intelligence official told The Daily Beast the Saudis and Jordanians have personnel on the ground in Syria. “They have people and they have contacts,” this official said, adding that U.S. intelligence agencies have been able to use this information. (This was confirmed by two other American officials.) But the source said the arrangement was not ideal. “It’s hard to trust that intelligence. It’s not part of a structure. There is not a check and double-check system in place.”

quote:

Conspicuously absent from the front-line airstrikes are the two largest armies and air forces in the region, Egypt and Turkey, whose governments are bitterly at odds with each other. Pulling them together is not about establishing a team of rivals, but a team of enemies.

Turkey—which has the second largest army in NATO; which borders ISIS-controlled territory; and which is seeing a massive influx of refugees—continues to refrain from direct action against ISIS. Until Tuesday it had refused to allow its air bases to be used by the Americans for their attacks. And while it’s motives may be complicated, one explanation bruited privately in Ankara is that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was waiting for Washington to give him an idea how the U.S. plans to deal with the Syrian dictatorship of Bashar Assad if ISIS is crushed. Thus far, no convincing answers from Washington have been forthcoming in public. But on Tuesday in New York, where he is attending the U.N. General Assembly, Erdogan seemed to have a change of heart. Turkey would give "necessary support to the operation," he told reporters. "The support could be military or logistics," he said, without elaborating.

Perhaps most striking of all is the absence, in this rump coalition, of the grand pronouncements we heard from earlier U.S. administrations—or from this one five years ago when President Barack Obama sought to turn a new page in Washington’s relations with the Arab and Muslim world.

In the current crisis, Obama has articulated no overarching cause, no doctrine about defending freedom and democracy. This offensive is purely defensive. It is not about the future: it is about a desperate effort to hang on to the present status quo as the region, having shed the enthusiasms of the Arab Spring like a soiled party outfit, is now trying to slip back into the drab, predictable uniforms of dictatorship and monarchy.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/23/arab-kings-vs-isis-barbarians.html

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There was a big push a year or two ago from HRC to start kicking non satisfactory soldiers from the system when we were downsizing the military. Yesterday morning one of our miltech HR guys was telling us that all of that was scrapped and they were desperately trying to retain more people. I guess the army is standing ready just in case we get another republican as president.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Torpor posted:

Not an entirely bad hedge at this point. Assad is at least a known quantity and IS is running around going crazy. If Assad regains control he will murder a bunch of people if IS gets in power they may murder way more people. As the old saying goes an atrocity in hand is better than two in the bush.

Also someone said that the US doesn't provide bread, the US does provide bread but groups apparently steal it and claim they provided it.

It's not a "hedge." Iran has been involved in the conflict since the beginning, sending soldiers and weapons to keep the regime afloat. They were spending billions on it before ISIS were even thought of. They don't care anywhere near as much about ISIS as they do keeping Assad in power. Nevermind how many innocent people have to die to make that happen. It's very clearly imperialism that everyone likes to get all riled up about. Here's an article from before the ISIS invasion of Mosul, describing how Iran has made Syria its cross to die on. It's only gotten more pronounced since then.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/03/28/295815927/iranians-begin-to-feel-the-heavy-burden-of-syrias-war

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Volkerball posted:

It's not a "hedge." Iran has been involved in the conflict since the beginning, sending soldiers and weapons to keep the regime afloat. They were spending billions on it before ISIS were even thought of. They don't care anywhere near as much about ISIS as they do keeping Assad in power. Nevermind how many innocent people have to die to make that happen. It's very clearly imperialism that everyone likes to get all riled up about. Here's an article from before the ISIS invasion of Mosul, describing how Iran has made Syria its cross to die on. It's only gotten more pronounced since then.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/03/28/295815927/iranians-begin-to-feel-the-heavy-burden-of-syrias-war

So are you thinking that the US is attempting to bleed Iran dry? (or would not mind if that results)

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that mean ol GOP , why can't they just accept the Political Reality that we are in de facto support of a guy one year ago all the liberals were screaming was a genocidal monster who needed to be toppled drat the consequences

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tezzor posted:

Yeah that mean ol GOP , why can't they just accept the Political Reality that we are in de facto support of a guy one year ago all the liberals were screaming was a genocidal monster who needed to be toppled drat the consequences

I think it was the "providing assurances to Iran" part.

Also in the way you're using liberal I'm pretty sure both the Republicans and Conservatives would qualify, since they're all part of the post-enlightenment liberal tradition. Using it in the more colloquial American sense of liberal-vs-conservative Democrats vs. Republicans doesn't seem to fit here since both of those sides would've had pro-intervention sentiment at the time while also having a lot of dissent.

Actually that's probably the most confusing part of your continued use of liberal, because there are liberals who are for intervening to topple Assad and liberals who are against it, and pretty clearly not a strong majority are in favor since it didn't happen.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torpor posted:

So are you thinking that the US is attempting to bleed Iran dry? (or would not mind if that results)

If that's what they wanted, why get involved now? They're attacking key groups in the fight against the regime, and by proxy, Iran. If they believe what they say, the US is fully aware that Assad is trying to defeat the moderate opposition by empowering ISIS. Iran has played into that, and now the US sees themselves as having to get involved, after years of desperately trying to stay out. So I think they blame Iran and Assad for causing this situation to escalate like this in the first place. In that light, I'm pretty sure "gently caress Iran" is still very alive and well, justifiably so, but I don't think there's any reason to suggest they're trying to bleed them out, even if they might see that as a pretty cool thing to happen. The main takeaway from all this is that there will be no allying with Iran in the fight against ISIS, because both nations have their own very clear ideas on what ISIS is to them, and those paths run perpendicular. This is a lot more complex than "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 24, 2014

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dolash posted:

I think it was the "providing assurances to Iran" part.

Also in the way you're using liberal I'm pretty sure both the Republicans and Conservatives would qualify, since they're all part of the post-enlightenment liberal tradition. Using it in the more colloquial American sense of liberal-vs-conservative Democrats vs. Republicans doesn't seem to fit here since both of those sides would've had pro-intervention sentiment at the time while also having a lot of dissent.

Actually that's probably the most confusing part of your continued use of liberal, because there are liberals who are for intervening to topple Assad and liberals who are against it, and pretty clearly not a strong majority are in favor since it didn't happen.

I am referring to the liberals who are in favor of this and every other war the US perpetrates; that is to say, most of them, and all of them in any position of power.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Saddam was nowhere near as bad as ISIS, you crazy fucks :psyduck:

I'm really interested in how you think this is absurd on its face.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Everybody is just taking it for granted that ISIS is actually the worst thing ever instead of just being congress' new Worst Thing Ever (TM)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Miltank posted:

Everybody is just taking it for granted that ISIS is actually the worst thing ever instead of just being congress' new Worst Thing Ever (TM)
They did crucify a bunch of people and that's pretty terrible. I mean, if you want to be the worst thing ever, crucifying dudes is a pretty good start.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Scott Ritter testified about a children's prison he visited under Saddam and that he saw such horrible things he wouldn't even say what they were because they'd be used to justify an invasion.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

We should probably just ignore this since someone might have done something worse sometime in the historical record. Why the gently caress do we care about ISIS, look at Pol Pot psssht.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sharknado slashfic posted:

We should probably just ignore this since someone might have done something worse sometime in the historical record. Why the gently caress do we care about ISIS, look at Pol Pot psssht.

Putting things in context doesn't have to be an argument.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sergg posted:

Scott Ritter testified about a children's prison he visited under Saddam and that he saw such horrible things he wouldn't even say what they were because they'd be used to justify an invasion.

I don't think anyone is saying Saddam wasn't a total loving mass murderer though? Like, the question was 'how is ISIS worse' and most of us are saying 'they're way more indiscriminate and horrific in their methods' but that doesn't make Saddam's more focused brutalities not also terrible? Like, ranking monsters isn't really a useful conversation, what's the point of deciding who is worse Saddam or ISIS, they're both objectively evil people and both would improve the regions they control if they got blown up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some statements from people in Raqqa.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/23/raqqa-residents-divided-us-air-strikes-isis-syria

Concerns about the attacks on JaN, and the reported attacks on Ahrar al-sham (that were later refuted), but the US seems to have hit actual targets instead of bakeries and hospitals, which seems to have largely gotten rave reviews from people there. 5 stars, would let bomb again. If the situation in Raqqa is the same as in other areas that were hit, civilian casualties have been unbelievably low. Of course, people knew the strikes were coming at some point, and the US has been compiling a list of targets for what I would assume was a very long time. So just staying away from ISIS landmarks was probably a really reliable way to not get caught up in the bombings. Still, there have been at least two kids killed that I've seen. The phase after the initial bombing wave will be more telling, as that's when things may get a little less clear, and "we totally heard there was an ISIS command center at that wedding" type things might start to occur.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

ranking monsters isn't really a useful conversation, what's the point of deciding who is worse Saddam or ISIS, they're both objectively evil people and both would improve the regions they control if they got blown up.

Would they?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Saddam wasn't a total loving mass murderer though? Like, the question was 'how is ISIS worse' and most of us are saying 'they're way more indiscriminate and horrific in their methods' but that doesn't make Saddam's more focused brutalities not also terrible? Like, ranking monsters isn't really a useful conversation, what's the point of deciding who is worse Saddam or ISIS, they're both objectively evil people and both would improve the regions they control if they got blown up.

It's important because the way in which Saddam was overthrown turned out to be a bad idea, in part because it led to ISIS. If we accept that ISIS the worst thing possible, then there's no reason not to just blow them up. If they're not even as bad as Saddam, however, there's a chance they could be replaced by something worse.

Personally, I'm having a hard time imagining ISIS being replaced by something worse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thread title should be something about all the new UXO there is to discover.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Saddam is a civilized mass murderer who exploited a chaotic political and security situation to overpower his enemies and co opt the existing structure to expand their influence, like a Caesar or Napoleon.

ISIS are barbarian mass murderers who exploited a chaotic political and security situation to over power their enemies and create their own governmental structure to expand their influence, like the Sea Peoples or the dozens of tribes who tore apart the Roman Empire.

Both are fairly standard occurrences in human history, and both are highly destabilizing if left unchecked. Saddam could have rewritten the map of the Middle East centered around an Iraqi state if Kuwait and the West hadn't ruined him, and ISIS could have washed over vast amounts of territory if not held back by Western airstrikes. No two events are alike though, and I'm very curious to see what long lasting impact ISIS will have on the Arab world. We'll see where this poo poo show takes us!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Brother Friendship posted:

ISIS are barbarian mass murderers who exploited a chaotic political and security situation to over power their enemies and create their own governmental structure to expand their influence, like the Sea Peoples or the dozens of tribes who tore apart the Roman Empire.

I object to this characterization of the 'barbarian' tribes.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly I just get most of my news from the thread and mostly stay out of the arguments.

What's the best way of doing this, since the arguments now make up roughly 100% of the thread?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

the JJ posted:

I object to this characterization of the 'barbarian' tribes.

I prefer the term "techno-barbarians" for ISIS.

I mean that is what really separates them from the pack. They are spectacularly brutal even in a brutal world but their media savvy is very remarkable. The only other thing that comes to mind are the various narco-groups, though the difference there is narcos produce for internal consumption while ISIS is external.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 24, 2014

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Golbez posted:

What's the best way of doing this, since the arguments now make up roughly 100% of the thread?

See if Brown Moses has posted anything new, sigh, then go back to Al Jazeera/Al Arabiya.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brother Friendship posted:

Saddam could have rewritten the map of the Middle East centered around an Iraqi state if Kuwait and the West hadn't ruined him

Thank god the USA prevented the map of the Middle East from being catastrophically redrawn then

lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I didn't realize those had a turbofan engine. That could explain the turbine-looking debris in the blog post that Brown Moses linked.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

icantfindaname posted:

Thank god the USA prevented the map of the Middle East from being catastrophically redrawn then

lol

Hey, the borders are still the same!

On Google maps at least.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Little division within the opposition. The SCLSR is mad. They are one group that composes the SNC. The SNC has approved the strikes, but the SCLSR are not happy about them. I'm not sure how mad, because the statement is in Arabic. Can someone give a summary? Google says

quote:

comes this alliance in the context of the arguments for the war on terrorism, ignoring the sufferings of our people in front of system criminality Asadi and his supporters."

quote:

In response to the position of the opposition coalition of the American attacks and the statements of its (SNC) President Hadi Al Bahra, who welcomed the strikes, calling for pressure on Assad today in New York, (President of the SCLSR) Najjar said, "We feel that the coalition His comments were free of charge, without any demand or real pressure on the international community to provide something for the victory of the revolution" , noting that "the coalition forces did not consult the Syrian opposition in such a strike, without any coordination between them to avoid strikes

http://enab-baladi.com/archives/19823

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So its interesting that countries like Saudi Arabia, Jordan, UAE, Qatar, etc are working together militarily to attack ISIS.

Is this the beginning of the MEC?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Berke Negri posted:

I prefer the term "techno-barbarians" for ISIS.

I mean that is what really separates them from the pack. They are spectacularly brutal even in a brutal world but their media savvy is very remarkable. The only other thing that comes to mind are the various narco-groups, though the difference there is narcos produce for internal consumption while ISIS is external.

This might become the norm unfortunately, the technology has just become available after all.

It's similar in sports, where humiliation always get played. Gamers have done this forever also. Of course, these are harmless. Do pedos count?

Femur fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 24, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

After learning all about Soviet weaponry over the last few years I get to learn all about US weaponry, so it's at least educational.

Slanderer posted:

I didn't realize those had a turbofan engine. That could explain the turbine-looking debris in the blog post that Brown Moses linked.

Anyone I've spoken to who knows about these things say it's likely from a Tomahawk, especially as it's not like it's a particularly common things that's used and the size matches. There's a bit of confusion about what was hit, JaN is claiming they had a HQ in the town that was hit but I had my translator contact the local Facebook group and they deny any JaN presence. Interestingly the locals seem really keen not to criticise either the US for the attack, or anyone else.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Charliegrs posted:

So its interesting that countries like Saudi Arabia, Jordan, UAE, Qatar, etc are working together militarily to attack ISIS.

Very possible involvement of Iran in this too, recent meeting with Saudi and Iran were positive it seems.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there any merit at all to firing anti-ship cruise missiles against land target, or did some deckhand forget to swap out the warhead before they launched?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Charliegrs posted:

MEC?

Slashrat posted:

Is there any merit at all to firing anti-ship cruise missiles against land target, or did some deckhand forget to swap out the warhead before they launched?
If I believe this picture
Then it's better to use the anti-ship warhead I think.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
From Belgrade's Aerospace Museum. Allegedly the remnants of a tomahawk warhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The US should have more thoroughly destroyed and rebuilt Iraq as a Western colony, yes.

Too late the British were there first.

In other news, Germany still tries to send weapons and help to the Kurds, but there are a few slight delays.

-The McDonnell Douglas KDC-10 which was supposed to transport the weapons and ammunition to Baghdad is defect and has to be repaired, so the launch has been delayed indefinitely until then.

-The six German weapon instructors on their way to Iraq tried to take a Transall machine, but it was defect. So they got a second one, which was defect, too. So they got a third one, which finally worked and now they're in wait for it... Bulgaria!

Those poor bastards are sitting in Bulgaria for days now, waiting on the official approval of Baghdad so they're finally allowed to fly into Iraq.

• Locked thread