Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Then in a few hundred years, the Roman emperor will convert to Islam and make it their state religion?

"Convert." That situation was a little different. Think of constantine converting to christianity as creating a captive, minority power base in a difficult to hold province like Assad has in Syria. Genocide is the response to repeated rebellion against client kings; that's what the Romans wanted to be known. How frequently it was actually practiced is another story.

But back to ISIS, making war with people who absolutely do not follow any of the conventions of war, such as caring about civillian casualties, wearing uniforms, torturing prisoners, etc... modern warfare doesn't really have an answer to this. So I guess we bomb them.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yeah, any style of warfare that assumes a specific ruleset will fare purely against an enemy operating under a less restrictive ruleset.

what I meant to say is: dehumanise yourself and face to a brightly glowing parking lot bloodshed

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Charlz Guybon posted:

The US army/marines haven't lost a pitched battle since the Korean War. Wars have political dimensions, since wars are by definition merely politics by other means, so we haven't won some of those wars, but the performance by the military could hardly have been better.

That remains the problem with Iraq. We can send in the troops and they'll crush everyone they come in contact with, but that hardly seems like it will solve the problem. As soon as they leave the whole country will fall apart again.

What about Khe Sanh, A.K.A. the amazingly audacious (and rather costly) attack that enabled the Tet Offensive to get as far as it did and effectively win the war? :hist101:

You're totally correct that no formation in Iraq would be able to serve as more than a speedbump against even a small U.S. army formation with limited air support. But U.S. forces - compact, mobile, and bristling with firepower - aren't any better than Shi'a death squads at convincing hostile locals to help them out, and what's worse, the presence of U.S. army or marines will serve as an even bigger recruiting tool than said Shi'a death squads.

Also, ground forces deployed in combat makes all those F-15 sorties and hellfire missiles look cheap by comparison.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

What about Khe Sanh, A.K.A. the amazingly audacious (and rather costly) attack that enabled the Tet Offensive to get as far as it did and effectively win the war? :hist101:

You're totally correct that no formation in Iraq would be able to serve as more than a speedbump against even a small U.S. army formation with limited air support. But U.S. forces - compact, mobile, and bristling with firepower - aren't any better than Shi'a death squads at convincing hostile locals to help them out, and what's worse, the presence of U.S. army or marines will serve as an even bigger recruiting tool than said Shi'a death squads.

Also, ground forces deployed in combat makes all those F-15 sorties and hellfire missiles look cheap by comparison.

Wasn't that a marginal tactical victory for a strategic loss?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Liberal_L33t posted:

from what i understand the tet didnt win the war at all

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Your Weird Uncle posted:

from what i understand the tet didnt win the war at all

It turned American public opinion against the war. Tet made it clear there was no way we were going to win.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Deteriorata posted:

It turned American public opinion against the war. Tet made it clear there was no way we were going to win.

no i got that, cronkite and all that. i just meant that from an actual military standpoint tet was a loss for the north vietnamese and wasn't the reason they won the war. to be clear i don't know a ton about vietnam.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Lawman 0 posted:

Wasn't that a marginal tactical victory for a strategic loss?

A strategic loss for the NLF maybe, but not for Uncle Ho :twisted:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Your Weird Uncle posted:

no i got that, cronkite and all that. i just meant that from an actual military standpoint tet was a loss for the north vietnamese and wasn't the reason they won the war. to be clear i don't know a ton about vietnam.

Yes it was a military loss, but it was a political and psychological win for them. Wars are fundamentally political entities. Success on the battlefield is only part of winning a war.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Your Weird Uncle posted:

That was clear already. Wars aren't fought from a purely military standpoint. This has been so abundantly obvious that historians and military strategists have been writing it down since the first point in history they've had a chance. You can be the biggest, meanest, most efficient military in all of the world and history and still lose if you don't have clear, reasonable goals and a way to achieve them that is well supported and lasting.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Deteriorata posted:

Yes it was a military loss, but it was a political and psychological win for them. Wars are fundamentally political entities. Success on the battlefield is only part of winning a war.

Depending on the circumstances winning battles may be the least important part of winning a war.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This might just be the most horrific thing posted in this thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
"total submission" in any context outside of bdsm is not a positive advertisement

it reminds me of

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Haha, I didn't actually mean to start a huge derail about Vietnam era battles, but since we're on the subject: there are a lot of arguments to be made on both sides as for whether the Tet Offensive was a "military success" or not, but the reason I specified Khe Sanh is because it is an example of U.S. marines being overwhelmed and forced to retreat due to outnumbering enemy forces in a completely conventional WWII-style battle.

DarkCrawler posted:

If these are the same set that I'm thinking of, then the actual strips doing the explaining are worse than you could imagine.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When I hear the word anime, I reach for my gun.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

blowfish posted:

"total submission" in any context outside of bdsm is not a positive advertisement

it reminds me of

The internet is a terrible place.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I really did not need to see that ever again.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

I really did not need to see that ever again.

Too emotional for you?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Putting Rainbow Dash in it makes him look at what is really happening.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
ISIS is attacking Hasakeh city, which is in Northeastern Syria and controlled by Kurdish and regime forces.

ISIL launches offensive on Syria's Hasakeh

Would be interesting if U.S. air strikes become part of this particular battle (which is possible, since we like helping the Kurds) since it would be the most direct support the U.S. has provided to Assad so far, as far as I know.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Jagchosis posted:

Would be interesting if U.S. air strikes become part of this particular battle (which is possible, since we like helping the Kurds) since it would be the most direct support the U.S. has provided to Assad so far, as far as I know.

I'd be very surprised if they do not bomb them intensely.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

ISIS is attacking Hasakeh city, which is in Northeastern Syria and controlled by Kurdish and regime forces.

ISIL launches offensive on Syria's Hasakeh

The US may do a few airstrikes south of Hasakah, but we're probably going to be much more focused a little bit to the west of Hasakah instead.

See, the ISIL attack on Hasakah didn't just come out of nowhere, there's a reason ISIL is attacking Hasakah now. And the reason is because ISIL is making GBS threads bricks at how close the Kurds/Euphrates Volcano/YPG/YPJ forces are getting to Tal Abyad/Gire Sipi. And when I say Kurds, I mean both the Kobani Kurds and the Cizire Kurds, the assault is going to be a two-sided one.

So why is ISIL so worried?

70 km = 43.5 miles, and 22 km = 13.7 miles. It's basically a race to see who gets there first, and a lot of that 70 km on the Cizire side is uninhabited.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, that map is already out of date on the Kobani side:
https://twitter.com/AJANSAMED/status/604679036351221761

quote:

YPG/J forces continue advancing towards Tel Abyad / Gre Spi. They just liberated Al-Hurriyah Village #Rojava

Al-Hurriyah Village is 17 km, or 10.5 miles away from Tal Abyad/Gire Sipi. And the final piece of the puzzle:
https://twitter.com/Raqqa_Sl/status/604610997593194496

quote:

#important #BREAKING #ISIS transfers families of foreign fighters from #Tell_Abiad toward #Raqqa city
https://twitter.com/Raqqa_Sl/status/604610997593194496
ISIL is already starting to evacuate non-fighters out of Tal Abyad/Gire Sipi down to Raqqa. This assault has been months in the making, and now it's finally begun. Oh yeah, I've been using "Kurds" as shorthand but it's not just Kurds doing the fighting, it's everyone banded together:
http://imgur.com/a/AEtzq

Whoever was asking about the FSA guys in Kobani, there's your answer.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 30, 2015

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Daesh just blew up one of Palmyra's most notable landmarks. A prominent monument that reflected the ideals and craftsmanship of a state that has stood resolute and unmoving in the deserts of human modernity is now dust and rubble.
That horrible little wart on the face of human dignity is gone. Tedmur Prison is no more, but the face of human dignity now has cancer.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Too bad honestly. They could have made it into a museum 30 years down the road for tourists to visit. They would be appalled and promise "never again."

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/05/29/how-israel-was-busted-nuking-yemen/

What does the thread make of this? I've never heard of the source before right now, so I'm as sceptical as usual.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

What does the thread make of this? I've never heard of the source before right now, so I'm as sceptical as usual.

Wow they have done a lot of hard-hitting investigation on that site. The Sandy Hook stuff especially.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Volkerball posted:

Too bad honestly. They could have made it into a museum 30 years down the road for tourists to visit. They would be appalled and promise "never again."

unless of course it's a pro-west regime, then to many people, depressingly, it would be "yes, always again and even worse."

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 31, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Veterans Today yet again inadvertently calls attention to the parlous state of VA mental healthcare.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
US military veterans proud of their story being picked up on Pravda has to be making a few Cold Warriors roll in their graves. :psyduck:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Wow they have done a lot of hard-hitting investigation on that site. The Sandy Hook stuff especially.

I was particularly surprised to see that "1 billion Arabs have seen this" since I was under the impression that there aren't even 1 billion Arabs alive on this planet, and that people who once shot at them trying to murder them would know this.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Absurd Alhazred posted:

US military veterans proud of their story being picked up on Pravda has to be making a few Cold Warriors roll in their graves. :psyduck:

Isn't Pravda's politics pretty much in line with the American right wing nowadays?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Besides having opposing xenophobias.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Fade, I just wanted to say thanks for the effortposts.

Especially this very inspiring most recent one. Completely loving one of Daesh's most important supply lines is very exciting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I was particularly surprised to see that "1 billion Arabs have seen this" since I was under the impression that there aren't even 1 billion Arabs alive on this planet, and that people who once shot at them trying to murder them would know this.

Didn't you know all Muslims are honorary Arabs from the nation of Islam lodges in Detroit to the jungles of Indonesia!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

Things my conspiracy-theory aficionado relatives sent me: Israel painted a Saudi livery on their F-15 and dropped a neutron bomb on Yemen. Purported proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7UHl3CxP-A

Toplowtech posted:

Last time i have heard about neutron bomb usage was when Lord Gilbert suggested to detonate a few along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border to the block mountain passes with radiation filled no-man lands. After telling the locals to get the gently caress out before death start falling from the sky, of course. It managed to sound less crazy than this video.

Brown Moses posted:

This is more bullshit from Gordon Duff of Veteran's Today, a site that convincingly puts the case veteran's have serious mental health issues.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Wait until you see their work on the gas chambers.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would expect ionizing radiation exciting solid-state photodetectors to the point of overloading to create white pixels, not pixels exactly the same colour as sparks the explosion would be. I mean, who ever heard of an explosion creating sparks?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I would expect ionizing radiation exciting solid-state photodetectors to the point of overloading to create white pixels, not pixels exactly the same colour as sparks the explosion would be. I mean, who ever heard of an explosion creating sparks?

What I get from this is that Russia is attempting to incorporate the idea that "western" states are already using tactical nuclear weapons in small conflicts into its propaganda stream. Which, given Russia's current activities, is actually pretty worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Wouldn't a neutron bomb be basically worthless against deep underground tunnels? I was under the impression that they were primarily intended as a weapon to kill tank crews and mounted infantry, since steel plating doesn't do much to block radiation. Thick layers of dirt, on the other hand, are quite effective at blocking radiation.

Of course that's only one of many reasons why this theory is loving ridiculous.

• Locked thread