Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Radio Prune posted:

Apt given the recent discussion

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoISyria/A-HRC-31-CRP1_en.pdf

What happens afterwards?

Of course if you need any help visualising the results of these crimes, just look at the :nms: Caesar photos
http://i.imgur.com/G1cZquP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TrBuzjg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jjhl16p.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8EwZStT.jpg

Reminder that these photos were taken by one man in the garage of one military hospital in Damascus over a limited time. Just imagine all the stuff they've successfully kept under wraps in all the other parts of Syria.

Bonus horror: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/syria-government-using-thousands-disappeared-people-cash-cow-new-report

More:

And of course you could just google images of the Baniyas massacre.

You get the idea.

the only "good" thing is assad honestly cant control the whole country at this point. anyone who isnt loyal has either fled, is currently fighting him. or is dead. my guess is he will end up ruling his own little fiefdom. he has pissed away all of his "goodwill" and is only alive because iran and russia are propping him up with the bodies of their own men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Got a 500 internal server error and decided I probably shouldn't try to refresh.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

Gains would be even lower. You may think that Erdogan is crazy but he won't send an invading fleet over the Black Sea to occupy Sochi and then march to Moscow. Also, the rest of the world would impose enormous sanctions on a country that would try to escalate animosity to actual war.

I'm not suggesting either would actually invade. It seems like it would be easier to start a tepid war when you don't share a border and just shoot down planes which come to close. can't think any of any examples of that actually happening though

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If Assad wins, would Hezbollah be likely to pick a fight with Israel pretty quickly in response to the airstrikes over the last few years and/or to try to regain some street cred in the region by fighting an ostensibly shared foe? It seems like they should have plenty of practical fighting experience by the time this is over, and the campaign against ISIS seems to be demonstrating the limits of air power (though recently the less restrictive Russian bombing campaign against rebel groups seems to be demonstrating its effectiveness if you think war crimes are okay).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

EXPERIENCE (man)BIJ!!!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

If Assad wins, would Hezbollah be likely to pick a fight with Israel pretty quickly in response to the airstrikes over the last few years and/or to try to regain some street cred in the region by fighting an ostensibly shared foe? It seems like they should have plenty of practical fighting experience by the time this is over, and the campaign against ISIS seems to be demonstrating the limits of air power (though recently the less restrictive Russian bombing campaign against rebel groups seems to be demonstrating its effectiveness if you think war crimes are okay).

Probably not. Messing around with Israel is a crapshoot that can end with all of your telegenic sociopaths being blown up by smart bombs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Besides, a lot of Hezbollah fighters already died in Syria. They probably need time to rebuild their strength.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
More news, because the news don't fuckin' stop in the Middle East:
https://twitter.com/VivaRevolt/status/696769067617808389

quote:

YPG has captured Kafr Antun,the last village south of Menagh Airbase
Map of Menagh Airbase and the surrounding areas:

I presume the reason the rebels are quieter than you'd expect about all these rather bold Kurdish advances into rebel territory is because (regardless of rhetoric) they know the other option is the SAA advancing and taking these places. Regardless, I wonder where the lines are going to end up.

More delightfully vague info about Shaddadi:
https://twitter.com/VivaRevolt/status/696785947963322368

quote:

Exclusive:YPG is planning an incoming offensive to capture Shaddadi from ISIS in Hasakah Governorate,and has received loads of arms for it

I wonder if the Kurds are gonna do a multi-front assault on ISIL in both Shaddadi and Manbij and just hammer ISIL as hard as they can as fast as they can.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/44rrje/43_arab_and_turkmen_fighters_join_the_ranks_of/
43 Arab and Turkmen fighters joined the ranks of YPG in Girê Spî (Tel Abyad)
This is like the 8th story I've seen in the last few months, the YPG is continuing to hoover every anti-ISIL recruit they can find, regardless of ethnicity.

And since we were just talking about Turkey and the Kurds, the US continues to prove we are masters at trolling:
https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/696799009881661440

quote:

#BREAKING US State Spox Kirby: We do not recognize PYD as a terrorist organization, we recognize Turks do.
We recognize your recognition, that's good enough right?:troll:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 9, 2016

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
But guys Hizballah is already resisting the Zio-takfiri-NeoCon imperialist axis by fighting against the Mossad false-flag ops that are ISIS and the Syrian "rebellion" ::)

Liberating Palestine, one Syrian town at a time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Radio Prune posted:

But guys Hizballah is already resisting the Zio-takfiri-NeoCon imperialist axis by fighting against the Mossad false-flag ops that are ISIS and the Syrian "rebellion" ::)

Liberating Palestine, one Syrian town at a time.

Turns out they're more Shia than Muslim, just as Saudi Arabia was more Sunni than Muslim when they were paying for Saddam to gas Iran after the Islamic Revolution. It's a cynical neighborhood.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 9, 2016

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Saudi Arabia and UAE aren't going to invade Syria. Everything I've read says they are only willing to do it if the US puts combat troops on the ground too, which everyone (including the Gulf countries) knows the US won't do. So obviously the Saudis are just bluffing. Perhaps it's because the rebels are losing that the Saudis are making this threat but I think that's all it is, a threat.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

Turns out they're more Shia than Muslim, just as Saudi Arabia was more Sunni than Muslim when they were paying for Saddam to gas Iran after the Islamic Revolution. It's a cynical neighborhood.

I dislike how you imply that to be muslim means to be hostile towards Israel.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Israel will be even less "restrictive"than the Russians.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

My Imaginary GF posted:

I dislike how you imply that to be muslim means to be hostile towards Israel.

I mean, let's be honest here; it's the Middle East. I live in Southeast Michigan and I still don't meet many Muslims who have any good will towards Israel, including the ones that lived there. The only Muslim dudes who don't seem to have beef with Israel are the (non-Palestinian) Jordanians. Was just watching a video of a big truck full of dead, mutilated Syrians that relatives are grieving over (unrelated to the wonderful effortpost by Radio Prune) and they were screaming "Assad is a Jew!" like it's an epithet as they would hold aloft the distorted, discolored faces of their departed loved ones.

We're just pointing out that as much as Hezbollah talks a good game about defending Lebanon, they were more than happy to help a genocidal dictator butcher his own people as long as they were the Wrong Type of Muslim. I will say this in their defense though: from what I've heard, Hezbollah has been very restrained in their civilian reprisals and have a lot more espirit de corps and discipline than the SAA and NDF. Hezbollah does the heavy fighting then the NDF and Shabiha come in and mop up and loot the town and terrorize the civvies while the Hezbollah soldiers just stare impotently. That's gotta be taking a huge psychological toll on them to see how they're instruments of oppression and murder.

The one video I've seen where Hezbollah soldiers were executing captured rebels was one guy who was totally disconsolate at the death of his comrade and another guy trying to dissuade him from executing them or from saying it's in the name of Islam.

Here it is, found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a22ohfz89nE
No translation provided but when it first came out there were subtitles.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 9, 2016

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The X-man cometh posted:

Israel will be even less "restrictive"than the Russians.

I really doubt that. The victims of Russian airstrikes have a ridiculous civilian/rebel ratio. Israel at least TRIES to look like it's not blowing up civilians.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fade5 posted:

I wonder if the Kurds are gonna do a multi-front assault on ISIL in both Shaddadi and Manbij and just hammer ISIL as hard as they can as fast as they can.

One thing to look for is whether or not the US has upped its tempo of airstrikes or if there are indications that we've moved more air assets to the area. The Kurds can only move in super-fast when they have JDAMs clearing out hardpoints and suppressing Daesh's ability to move in reinforcements.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sergg posted:

We're just pointing out that as much as Hezbollah talks a good game about defending Lebanon, they were more than happy to help a genocidal dictator butcher his own people as long as they were the Wrong Type of Muslim.

This, plus I think it highlights how hollow the foundation of a lot of the regional claims of solidarity with Palestine are when groups on both sides of the war who posture with such claims based on a shared faith are warring with one another due to differences of faith. It's not about what being a good Muslim means, since I'm not going to pretend I'm qualified to define that. It's about how their own definitions of that can prove to be surprisingly elastic when it's convenient.

Sergg posted:

I really doubt that. The victims of Russian airstrikes have a ridiculous civilian/rebel ratio. Israel at least TRIES to look like it's not blowing up civilians.

Agreeing again with this. Whether or not Israel has more moral qualms about killing civilians in theory, in practice they're more bound by international constraints than Russia.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow people here still eat that trash that Israel pretends to be bound by international law? Do we really want to bring out how much damage and spiteful mayhem they dealt out? They are every bit as bad as any mass murdering group in the Middle East. anyways, this is not the thread for it:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow people here still eat that trash that Israel pretends to be bound by international law? Do we really want to bring out how much damage and spiteful mayhem they dealt out? They are every bit as bad as any mass murdering group in the Middle East. anyways, this is not the thread for it:

Yup - put all the cards on the table. We're all sons of bitches.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey Al Saqr, how much is your nation bound by the rule of law over rule by law?

Do you define being a muslim as "opposes Israel" like the terrorist organization Hezbollah seemed to do before their intervention in Syria?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Yes, Israel is totally as bad as Sisi, Assad, the House of Saud, and the Iranian Ayatollahs.

Is it painful to be this obtuse or does it come naturally?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

redscare posted:

Yes, Israel is totally as bad as Sisi, Assad, the House of Saud, and the Iranian Ayatollahs.

Is it painful to be this obtuse or does it come naturally?

He's an individual who thinks that mossad was involved in 9/11, redscare. Keep that in mind when you reply to him.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Al-Saqr posted:

They're not nearly as good at murdering as Assad. Or Russians, for that matter. Just ask the Chechens. Like yeah they do evil poo poo and obviously I'm not gonna go about defending their illegal blockade of Gaza or building settlements and annexing Arab lands and being a bunch of assholes, but let's be real here: Assad and the Russians are way bigger assholes. Reminder that the number of displaced Syrians is quickly reaching the total number of all Palestinians alive. More Palestinians have probably died in the Syrian Civil War than have died in the Arab-Israeli conflict. If we take the EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE estimate of 250,000 deaths which frankly is super outdated from like a year ago, the 5 years of Syrian Civil War has still killed 12 times as many people as the entire 50 year Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Then you take the 1st and 2nd Chechen Wars, which killed 100,000 to 150,000 people. Chechnya currently has a population of 1.269 million, meaning that they lost about 10% of their population during those conflicts and they double or triple the I/P conflict numbers.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Look broheim I'm gonna just poo poo in your cornflakes right now and let you know that the entirety of the I/P conflict is totally insignificant compared to this brutal, multi-country civil war that's going on right now in the Middle East. Like I'm sorry about the suffering of your people and poo poo sucks but deal with it. I watch daily videos of truckloads of mutilated bodies and meanwhile you got a handful of knife attacks against Israel and police brutality against the Palestinians with an occasional bombing flareup that kills maybe in the hundreds or in the single digit thousands every few years.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
'Sucks but deal with it' very mature, by the way. You're really someone worth debating.

Listen, I'm not going to get into this debate since once we start we won't stop and this thread isn't the place for it, but I'm not going to commit your false reasoning that one bad person doing crimes against humanity invalidates the proven track record for another, sorry if I think the willful erasure and ethnic cleansing of an entire people and the illegal invasion of several countries, the flattening of their cities and subjecting millions of people to outright apartheid along with shoving of over a million people into an open air prison ghetto, destroying lebanons entire civilian infrastructure and showering south Lebanon with cluster munitions is a bad thing and makes you every bit a war criminal as any other. Look, I know you're new to this, you haven't bothered to pay attention until recently and didn't need to watch decades of Middle East history happen. But I'm not going to shut my eyes to historical events just because a an evil regime nearby does awful things too. Sorry 'broheim' but my standards for human rights are standard across the board.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Al-Saqr posted:

'Sucks but deal with it' very mature, by the way. You're really someone worth debating.

Listen, I'm not going to get into this debate since once we start we won't stop and this thread isn't the place for it, but I'm not going to commit your false reasoning that one bad person doing crimes against humanity invalidates the proven track record for another, sorry if I think the willful erasure and ethnic cleansing of an entire people and the illegal invasion of several countries, the flattening of their cities and subjecting millions of people to outright apartheid along with shoving of over a million people into an open air prison ghetto, destroying lebanons entire civilian infrastructure and showering south Lebanon with cluster munitions is a bad thing and makes you every bit a war criminal as any other. Look, I know you're new to this, you haven't bothered to pay attention until recently and didn't need to watch decades of Middle East history happen. But I'm not going to shut my eyes to historical events just because a an evil regime nearby does awful things too. Sorry 'broheim' but my standards for human rights are standard across the board.

Do you, or do you not, accept that KSA nationals were singularly responsible for 9/11, Al Saqr?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Do you, or do you not, accept that KSA nationals were singularly responsible for 9/11, Al Saqr?

Would "singularly responsible" exclude any kind of direct support but not direct action from any non-KSA nationals or would that be considered goalpost moving in this logical fallacy?

Anyway, :stare:

Radio Prune posted:

Apt given the recent discussion

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/CoISyria/A-HRC-31-CRP1_en.pdf

What happens afterwards?

Of course if you need any help visualising the results of these crimes, just look at the :nms: Caesar photos
http://i.imgur.com/G1cZquP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TrBuzjg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jjhl16p.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8EwZStT.jpg

Reminder that these photos were taken by one man in the garage of one military hospital in Damascus over a limited time. Just imagine all the stuff they've successfully kept under wraps in all the other parts of Syria.

Bonus horror: https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/syria-government-using-thousands-disappeared-people-cash-cow-new-report

More:

And of course you could just google images of the Baniyas massacre.

You get the idea.

Seriously, the fact this happens on any scale anywhere should be worldview-changing to anyone. I understand on an academic level how people can be like, "gently caress it, that poo poo does not involve me day to day, and <reason> means violence or bad poo poo is just going to happen to someone somewhere," with a varying mix of apathy or cruelty or sheer Legitimate Mitigating Factor, like currently experiencing starvation or poverty or abuse or all of that or worse. I reject on an emotional level that such a state of society has to go without challenge as it arises to remind people that we are nowhere near having to argue level of nuance for how bad human suffering is when we can't agree nobody should be forced to starve death or worse, just as a concept let alone as a reality.

or

All lovely actors should be not-lovely, and it's lovely that some people get lovely when that gets pointed out.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sergg posted:

They're not nearly as good at murdering as Assad. Or Russians, for that matter. Just ask the Chechens. Like yeah they do evil poo poo and obviously I'm not gonna go about defending their illegal blockade of Gaza or building settlements and annexing Arab lands and being a bunch of assholes, but let's be real here: Assad and the Russians are way bigger assholes. Reminder that the number of displaced Syrians is quickly reaching the total number of all Palestinians alive. More Palestinians have probably died in the Syrian Civil War than have died in the Arab-Israeli conflict. If we take the EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE estimate of 250,000 deaths which frankly is super outdated from like a year ago, the 5 years of Syrian Civil War has still killed 12 times as many people as the entire 50 year Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Then you take the 1st and 2nd Chechen Wars, which killed 100,000 to 150,000 people. Chechnya currently has a population of 1.269 million, meaning that they lost about 10% of their population during those conflicts and they double or triple the I/P conflict numbers.

In the Lebanese Civil War Assad's dad killed more Palestinians than Israel has ever. Hafez killed more people in Hama than Israel ever has, and he was still lionized as an anti-Zionist hero.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Israel, a nation known for having clean hands in the Lebanese Civil War

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kim Jong Il posted:

In the Lebanese Civil War Assad's dad killed more Palestinians than Israel has ever. Hafez killed more people in Hama than Israel ever has, and he was still lionized as an anti-Zionist hero.

But you see, according to Al Saqr you can only be a muslim if you oppose Israel. As Assad's dad opposed Israel, he was a muslim, therefore Hafez's killing of more Palestinians than even the Sauds doesn't count because ~jews living on 'muslim' land~

Foppery posted:

Israel, a nation known for having clean hands in the Lebanese Civil War

Hezbollah, a terrorist organization known to not ethnically cleanse christians.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Please god take it to the I/P thread folks! I'm sure you will come to an agreement on your differences there.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Whats been the take on Albright saying that half a million dead Iraqi children "were worth it"?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

KomradeX posted:

Whats been the take on Albright saying that half a million dead Iraqi children "were worth it"?

Wow that's hosed up, why did she kill all those kids?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
You know MIGF, you're poo poo head gimmick is one thing but it's ironic when you berate people who would actually get tortured by the secret police for a quarter of your online antics.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Granted, Israel are huge assholes to the Palestinians etc., but I doubt a Gaza Strip full of jews would be allowed to exist if Arabs ruled Jerusalem. Just look at what the Ottomans did to their Armenian minority.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Flavahbeast posted:

Wow that's hosed up, why did she kill all those kids?

I don't know if you're being facetious or what, but he's talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omnskeu-puE

99.9% of Americans have never seen nor heard of this clip, but I'm willing to bet that at least half of the Middle East has.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bip Roberts posted:

You know MIGF, you're poo poo head gimmick is one thing but it's ironic when you berate people who would actually get tortured by the secret police for a quarter of your online antics.

You say as if he isn't aware of this, and trying to achieve exactly that.

How are u posted:

99.9% of Americans have never seen nor heard of this clip, but I'm willing to bet that at least half of the Middle East has.

I like the time when some Czechs told her that she's a war criminal and she screamed "Disgusting Serbs! Get out!" at them.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

What do you say about a government that goes out of its way to protect even citizens that try to destroy it?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

How are u posted:

Albright also had the duty of whitesplaining why Rwanda didn't concern the US enough to actually do something. That woman has handwaved away so many deaths in her life it would make Chuck Johnson jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Volkerball posted:

Albright also had the duty of whitesplaining why Rwanda didn't concern the US enough to actually do something. That woman has handwaved away so many deaths in her life it would make Chuck Johnson jealous.

Someone was already there to do something about it, though. Paul motherfuckin Kagame did something about it.

• Locked thread